Current Wiembilla Shootings * Coronial Inquiry

Remove this Banner Ad

After a joint Queensland Police Service and FBI investigation, Mr Day was arrested in December and charged with two counts of making an interstate threat.

In January, he was further charged with illegal gun possession and threatening FBI agents added.
The 58-year-old is alleged to have communicated directly with Nathaniel, Gareth and Stacey Train online, sending messages containing Christian end-of-days ideology.

It's an interesting listen, the interview with the neighbours wife in particular.

Blames the police for why her husband died, not the Train's. Thinks it was only Nathaniel doing the shooting and that Gareth and Stacey were just bystanders.

Some interesting theories from her, not sure how much credence there is to it. Mostly just has an axe to grind with the police for not warning them about the shooters before her husband went down there which there is some merit to that.

It's an interesting listen, the interview with the neighbours wife in particular.

Blames the police for why her husband died, not the Train's. Thinks it was only Nathaniel doing the shooting and that Gareth and Stacey were just bystanders.

Some interesting theories from her, not sure how much credence there is to it. Mostly just has an axe to grind with the police for not warning them about the shooters before her husband went down there which there is some merit to that.

Some pretty weird units living off grid out there, so I’m not surprised she isn’t a fan of the cops.

Some pretty weird units living off grid out there, so I’m not surprised she isn’t a fan of the cops.

My thoughts as well, don't think they were fans of the cops before the incident. The almost Stockholm Syndrome to blame the 'outsider' brother from NSW and not her neighbours is next level though.

Possibly an axe to grind, she wasn't there so she isn't a witness in the sense that she can say who was shooting and who wasn't.

The choppers will have all the footage, I don't think there's going to be much dispute.

My thoughts as well, don't think they were fans of the cops before the incident. The almost Stockholm Syndrome to blame the 'outsider' brother from NSW and not her neighbours is next level though.

Despite all the evidence that Gareth was the first to go down the rabbit hole and take the other’s with him.

Reminds me of the daughter’s interview, trying to blame everyone else.

Possibly an axe to grind, she wasn't there so she isn't a witness in the sense that she can say who was shooting and who wasn't.

The choppers will have all the footage, I don't think there's going to be much dispute.

If you listen to the pod, honestly I wouldn't put it past her to still dispute it.

She reckons she saw the mobile footage from Alan which has the Train's shooting at him, and she still is trying to say it was just Nathaniel and not Gareth. She seems hell bent on having her mind already made up.

Doesn't get any lower than blaming the victims **** .

If you listen to the pod, honestly I wouldn't put it past her to still dispute it.

She reckons she saw the mobile footage from Alan which has the Train's shooting at him, and she still is trying to say it was just Nathaniel and not Gareth. She seems hell bent on having her mind already made up.

If old mate went over filming, that may have triggered them to shoot at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If old mate went over filming, that may have triggered them to shoot at him.

Probably

After taking out the cops though there were also probably already in a siege mentality and were going to shoot anyone that came near them as a perceived threat.

The three have a very complex backstory, likened to a psychodrama.

If people don't realise it's a podcast in two parts.
Here is the first part:

ABC have an article by someone who grew up with Nathaniel.
It such a terrible story, many opportunities for things to go differently. Shows how stupidity, lies and the internet are such a dangerous combination to some folks. The police classify it as domestic Christian terrorism, his father disagrees - “This is not religiously motivated. This is a reaction by three people to COVID, to isolation, to authority — because the police are seen as authority — particularly by Gareth.”

ABC have an article by someone who grew up with Nathaniel.
It such a terrible story, many opportunities for things to go differently. Shows how stupidity, lies and the internet are such a dangerous combination to some folks. The police classify it as domestic Christian terrorism, his father disagrees - “This is not religiously motivated. This is a reaction by three people to COVID, to isolation, to authority — because the police are seen as authority — particularly by Gareth.”
Interesting story. I was shocked during the early part of the Covid pandemic, to hear the nonsense being pedaled by people whom I would have thought were sensible. Many of these were Christians belonging to the non-mainstream Churches.

Interesting story. I was shocked during the early part of the Covid pandemic, to hear the nonsense being pedaled by people whom I would have thought were sensible. Many of these were Christians belonging to the non-mainstream Churches.
It's a new world. "The Internet" changed everything. First global pandemic with the WWW, lot's of things happened for the first time. Unfortunately during the pandemic "The Internet" became a conduit of madness and lies. Sadly, Nathaniel embraced the madness and six folks died. I'm not surprised that many were "Christians belonging to the non-mainstream Churches", they can be a pretty odd lot, speaking in tongues and so forth. Often strongly antiauthoritarian and already feeling marginalised they made happy bed fellows with antivax groups and snake oil salesman. It's also tragic.

It's a new world. "The Internet" changed everything. First global pandemic with the WWW, lot's of things happened for the first time. Unfortunately during the pandemic "The Internet" became a conduit of madness and lies. Sadly, Nathaniel embraced the madness and six folks died. I'm not surprised that many were "Christians belonging to the non-mainstream Churches", they can be a pretty odd lot, speaking in tongues and so forth. Often strongly antiauthoritarian and already feeling marginalised they made happy bed fellows with antivax groups and snake oil salesman. It's also tragic.
And passionate. The "if god wants me to die, I'll die" business they were sprouting and the "evil scientists" trying to kill everyone with their poison, was a big surprise to me. Those two things seem to be contradictory. Anyway, apparently there is no IQ test to get into a church.

The Trains were identified as subscribing to a fundy religious belief system known as premillennialism. Interestingly, the Catholic Church's position is that premillennialism can't be taught safely.

Premillennialists focus a lot on Christ's return, where all the elect will be raised to a glorious state.

The podcast series on ABC Background briefing, which includes the interview with Ron Train; a journalist and other childhood friends of Nathaniel; and Qld Police, is the source for much of the info used in the Nine and newscorp stuff, is very well put together and worth the listen. Episodes run for around 40 mins each.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Wiembilla Shootings * Coronial Inquiry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back