Will Freo's recent success force supporters not to accept mediocrity?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I ask this question due to Freo's record of success, or lack of. After their first finals appearance, big things seemed destined but did not occur and Freo's supporters, while not happy, didn't really seem to fly off the hook when the finals were missed again. It seemed, to me, that the supporters of this club just seemed to accept that this was the norm for the club and the way it would be...

So I ask this; With Freo having such a high finish this year (and tripling their finals appearances in the one year), will that force their supporters not to accept the mediocrity that has been their team for the entirety of their AFL involvement? With their 2 derby wins in the one year, can they no longer accept WCE dominance over them? Also, will you accept anything less than a top four finish and/or a home preliminary final? Or is this just another 'fluke' as some people have suggested?

I for one think Freo will make the top 4 again next year and should do so easily. With Tarrant there, Pavlich won't be so much of a lone-hand up forward and it'll also take pressure off Farmer as he will be their 3rd most important forward. Freo have the ability to make a top-two finish. Will they do it, or will they waste another season?

PAFC2004 said:
I guessed this was created by a wce supporter before i clicked on the thread title.... bored mate?

What's wrong with the thread? I wasn't attacking the club or anything and I for one think they'll do quite well next year.

Better than half the threads on here started by you guys about Adelaide. They're un-constructive and boring. i.e. a 'my mum's better than yours' argument that bores the crap out of everyone else...

PAFC2004 said:
I guessed this was created by a wce supporter before i clicked on the thread title.... bored mate?

Lol - A port supporter having a go at a West Coast supporter for starting a thread about cross town rivals.

Funny stuff.

If I was a dorkers supporter I'd be very excited about the year coming up.

If anything they've gotten stronger since '06, and definitely should have confidence throughout the club. As they proved in the last half of '06 they can win successive games on the trot so that is a major hurdle that they've conquered. They won a final, another hurdle conquered.

As far as I can see they will do themselves & their supporters proud once again as long as they have everything ok between the ears. That is the only area that could cause a stuff up. They need to be careful not to be over confident. For the first time they will be starting a season as one of the hunted, not hunters.

As for accepting mediocrity, I don't think their fans will be pleased with anything other than a top 4 finish (I wouldn't). I'm not saying that heads would roll, but the club would definitely find out the meaning of "purple passion".

That's my 2 bob worth any-who.

after what happened this year in the pf you could tell the freo players werent happy with themselves. in other words theyve thrown mediocrity out the window and they will definetly be in the top 4 next year and even aiming for a top 2. I think Connolly has changed his mind frame and even though gaining Tarrant and Soloman may have been frowned upon it has actually helped Freo big time. Tarrant will definetly free up Pavlich and who now he could be a Coleman Medallist next year while Soloman if he gets himself back on track will be quite handy through the wing. I can tell you that Freo is now finally getting rid of their Mediocrity and soft tag and aiming to win the big one.

I can also tell you if they win the flag I will congratulate them rather than bag them as some of their fans did over the week after the flag.

MAG87 said:
I can also tell you if they win the flag I will congratulate them rather than bag them as some of their fans did over the week after the flag.

Same. Not living in WA anymore (I haven't lived there since before the Dockers were formed) I'm not a Dockers hater and feel no angst towards them. I'm a WCE supporter through and through and the only kind of intense rivalry, or discontent, I feel towards any other team would be Sydney and that's only because of the great rivalry we've had over the past few years.

duncan said:
Lol - A port supporter having a go at a West Coast supporter for starting a thread about cross town rivals.

Funny stuff.

I dont start threads about the crows.. have a look if you must.

ditto said:
Congrats. Now do you have anything of interest to say regarding this thread??

I hardly see the point. Sure, some Freo supporters would accept mediocrity in the past, but I'm sure the vast majority never have, and finishing higher this season will not change anything.

I was pissed when we missed the 04/05 final series. I'm not sure what fans your talking about in regards to this.

I guess this thread has no credibility because your making sweeping, unfounding statements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reveler said:
I was pissed when we missed the 04/05 final series. I'm not sure what fans your talking about in regards to this.

I guess this thread has no credibility because your making sweeping, unfounding statements.

No not really. It was just my point of view that I didn't notice a lot of public outcry when the following finals series' were missed. I assume though that there would be this time 'cause they finished a lot higher than they did the last time they made the finals.

I guess I could start a thread about Richmond accepting anything less than a finals appearance next year and apply similar questions :p

Reveler said:

Can you please highlight the sweeping, unfounded statements for me please. I thought the thread was expressed with very little emotion and mostly covered with facts asking for others points of view.

Don't take every thread that's about the dorkers as a personal insult to your being.

bzparkes said:
No not really. It was just my point of view that I didn't notice a lot of public outcry when the following finals series' were missed. I assume though that there would be this time 'cause they finished a lot higher than they did the last time they made the finals.

I guess I could start a thread about Richmond accepting anything less than a finals appearance next year and apply similar questions :p

what public outcry could there be?

want us to hold a protest outside South Freo oval? The papers were riddled with "sack CC" style articles and I think you'll find a few message boards had a similar theme?

ditto said:
Can you please highlight the sweeping, unfounded statements for me please. I thought the thread was expressed with very little emotion and mostly covered with facts asking for others points of view.

Don't take every thread that's about the dorkers as a personal insult to your being.

The whole "accepting mediocrity" thing. No one was happy that We missed by less than a game in 2005 or a game in 2004.

What are you supposed to do when that happens?

Jump off?

ditto said:

your a nob jockey, the whole thread suggests that the whole fremantle fan base was ok with what happened in 04/05 and accepted it as the norm. but he has no facts to back this up.

Reveler said:
your a nob jockey, the whole thread suggests that the whole fremantle fan base was ok with what happened in 04/05 and accepted it as the norm. but he has no facts to back this up.

Who's feeling a little bit precious today then??

Reveler said:

No board reshuffle, no sacking of coaches, no 'football inquiries'. You say the papers called for CC's sacking but it didn't seem like the supporters put up up much of a fuss. I'm not saying he should've been sacked as I actually support him in his role and think he's done a great job for the Dockers. He's certainly the right man for the job. But look at what happened with Geelong this year. One bad season and suddenly the coaches' job's on the line, major inquiries into their football department etc... The Dockers should've made the finals after '03 again but didn't until this year. My query is why this was seemed to pass by the supporter group when at any other club there'd be outrage, and board challenges aplenty (according to the media anyway). Freo weren't going through a rebuilding phase and had no excuse not to make the finals the following years and if not for the extraordinary run this year, most likely would've failed to do so again. It was the players resolve after the mid-season break when they decided to not accept their mediocrity tag any longer that led to their great performance.

I think that had this resolve come from a mass of Freo supporters earlier and their refusal to put up with the crud showing their team has done for so long, then this turnaround would've happened a couple of years ago. Good on the players for doing this themselves though, as they're the ones who need to do it. I'm just surprised this didn't come around a couple of years ago is all.

PAFC2004 said:
I dont start threads about the crows.. have a look if you must.
I`m not suggesting you do.

But you are I guess a little miffed by my comment - yet you where more than happy to tar the thread starter with the same brush (and more to the point - all West Coast supporters).

bzparkes said:
No board reshuffle, no sacking of coaches, no 'football inquiries'. You say the papers called for CC's sacking but it didn't seem like the supporters put up up much of a fuss. I'm not saying he should've been sacked as I actually support him in his role and think he's done a great job for the Dockers. He's certainly the right man for the job. But look at what happened with Geelong this year. One bad season and suddenly the coaches' job's on the line, major inquiries into their football department etc... The Dockers should've made the finals after '03 again but didn't until this year. My query is why this was seemed to pass by the supporter group when at any other club there'd be outrage, and board challenges aplenty (according to the media anyway). Freo weren't going through a rebuilding phase and had no excuse not to make the finals the following years and if not for the extraordinary run this year, most likely would've failed to do so again. It was the players resolve after the mid-season break when they decided to not accept their mediocrity tag any longer that led to their great performance.

I think that had this resolve come from a mass of Freo supporters earlier and their refusal to put up with the crud showing their team has done for so long, then this turnaround would've happened a couple of years ago. Good on the players for doing this themselves though, as they're the ones who need to do it. I'm just surprised this didn't come around a couple of years ago is all.

Freo have an enquiry at the mid season break and at the end of the year every year.

Luckily for us We have a board and Admin that could see that our best footy had improved every year even though our ladder position hadn't. It is really after all all about the "process" and the rest will take care of itself.

The last thing We needed was a new coach to "take a step backwards to go forwards" (code for trade off half the list and start again) again in 2006.

When and what from have we ever been in a postion to "rebuild" from ?

We have been trying to "build" since 1995.

During the 2006 season I saw a Fremantle outfit that could and did match up and beat the best teams in the AFL.
The signs were fantastic.Tough hard players,awesomely skilled players and freakish players
The coaching staff had them all on the same page of the gameplan
But it was a case of three steps forward and with the trading for Tarrant and Soloman two steps backwards.
The only thing I see as a positive is that the Fremantle supporters have a replacement for Croad to abuse

Ripper said:
Freo have an enquiry at the mid season break and at the end of the year every year.

Luckily for us We have a board and Admin that could see that our best footy had improved every year even though our ladder position hadn't. It is really after all all about the "process" and the rest will take care of itself.

The last thing We needed was a new coach to "take a step backwards to go forwards" (code for trade off half the list and start again) again in 2006.

When and what from have we ever been in a postion to "rebuild" from ?

We have been trying to "build" since 1995.

Fair enough, I'll admit I don't know that much about the Freo footy club. My point though was that they were in a position to do better after '03 and they went backwards, while taking a huge leap forwards this year. It's indicative of Fremantle's inconsistency during the club's lifetime. Have some great wins away, lose some gimme games at home and look destined to miss out yet again. Then suddenly win 9 straight to burst into the top 4 when they actually woke up and realised they were a good club with a good list for their second finals appearance.

Hopefully for their sake they won't rest on their laurels like they did after '03 and think that making the finals is all but assured. They should do better next year and have no excuse not to and be happy with their first finals win like they were with their first finals appearance. Time they realised their potential and found some consistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Freo's recent success force supporters not to accept mediocrity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back