Live Event Windows Outage Event - Can't buy food. Can't fly to Bali...

Remove this Banner Ad

Completely off topic, but my work computer has completely crashed. Our IT department is reporting Windows is affected globally. Several major companies in Australia reporting systems are down. World War III?

Anyone else affected?

Completely off topic, but my work computer has completely crashed. Our IT department is reporting Windows is affected globally. Several major companies in Australia reporting systems are down. World War III?

Anyone else affected?
Per the Graund blog.
The outages across multiple sectors including the media and banking appear to be linked to Microsoft.

An internal ABC email seen by Guardian Australia shows that staff there have been told “Windows workstations experiencing BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) nationally.”

“The cause of this is unknown and is under active investigation,” the email sent at 3.13pm said.

“ABC Television output is currently on air, although some News studios are having issues. Several radio studios across the country are offline, alongside the Windows PCs which switch ABC Radio outputs to air.”

Anyone else affected?
Mine's fine.

Timed malware? Big zero day hack?

Mine's fine.

Timed malware? Big zero day hack?
It’s all over the radio now. My wife just went to Woolworths and they have closed. Airports have ground to a complete halt. Forget Albo, this is massive!!

It’s all over the radio now. My wife just went to Woolworths and they have closed. Airports have ground to a complete halt. Forget Albo, this is massive!!
Unplugging my network... catch you all up on my phone.

Anyone else affected?
Bigfooty is still working, so there is that.

Anyone else affected?
Crowdstrike update shit itself.

It's international issue.

Radio stations are all on the backup tape

Anyone else affected?
Issues worldwide, reportedly a hack on Microsoft data farms most likely by a foreign government

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be good if it is as simple as that. hopefully companies will stop relying on overseas (in this case US) hosted cloud services.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Australian businesses would be served out of local data centres.

Owned by foreign companies, but locally hosted. They would not have been spared if Australian companies owned the data centres.

Australian businesses would be served out of local data centres.

Owned by foreign companies, but locally hosted. They would not have been spared if Australian companies owned the data centres.
It was fun seeing all the blue screens at the supermarket

Someone pushes a bad update and we can't buy food

There's no backup or workaround to an IT outage

Crowdstrike has now done more damage in one day than what they claim to protect you from.

Why the **** a third party can push an update directly to so many devices/ so many companies let them and don't test first

IT has gone to complete shit

That's on the businesses caught out by this. Business continuity planning seemingly optional for some of the biggest pillars of our economy...

Crowdstrike has now done more damage in one day than what they claim to protect you from.
Protected a ton of people from working on a Friday afternoon, so can't be all bad!

Why the **** a third party can push an update directly to so many devices/ so many companies let them and don't test first
Yeah it's incredible. Cost cutting on testing and integration? Or something side-stepped customers testing processes?

It'll be that damn Bob in development talking about his MtG win last night instead of paying attention when he pushes code live.

That's on the businesses caught out by this. Business continuity planning seemingly optional for some of the biggest pillars of our economy...

Protected a ton of people from working on a Friday afternoon, so can't be all bad!

Yeah it's incredible. Cost cutting on testing and integration? Or something side-stepped customers testing processes?

It'll be that damn Bob in development talking about his MtG win last night instead of paying attention when he pushes code live.
Let's automate everything so we don't have to pay people

We'll run everything online

We'll get a trendy new AV for cloud and let them push their own updates because less staff

Oh they've bricked everything

DR is great for a data centre outage but when you cripple the end user devices you're ****ed

Also, look forward to US companies having lower cyber security efforts and less accountability and reporting now the Supreme Court has said federal agencies won't be deferred to on statute interpretation, but judges will swap in their own interpretation where the statute doesn't have specific wording about cyber security regulatory powers.

Those 1970's laws all need to be updated by the US Congress to cover cyber security regulation or maverick libertarians and mega-rich companies alike will go judge shopping.

It was fun seeing all the blue screens at the supermarket

Someone pushes a bad update and we can't buy food

IT has gone to complete shit
We are dead set 1 delay on the Melbourne train network before it becomes a big issue.

The allocation officers dont have access to the rosters.

I was watching a Coles POS terminal be remote PXE booted to recover it while shopping earlier

Over half the terminals were still down

It's going to take a long time to get everything back up and there will be a lot of people having to physically recover machines

Encryption with dead key servers could be very problematic

Let's automate everything so we don't have to pay people

We'll run everything online

We'll get a trendy new AV for cloud and let them push their own updates because less staff
I wonder if it pushed ITSELF LIVE??

It's the singularity.

Oh they've bricked everything

DR is great for a data centre outage but when you cripple the end user devices you're ****ed
I see a bunch of USB sticks with updates going out via bicycle messenger tomorrow.

Encryption with dead key servers could be very problematic
You'd think they'd have them in a key escrow or a backup secrets manager somewhere.

You'd think. Unless that's their next project just after this anti-malware update...

Remove this Banner Ad

Live Event Windows Outage Event - Can't buy food. Can't fly to Bali...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back