World Cup TV rights - How much?

Remove this Banner Ad

pekay-norwest said:
Fair call,however,are 3 different FTA channels and Fox bidding for RL rights??? 3 channels out of 5,that must mean its a popular sport,dont ya think??
The larger RL world cup TV markets include France, UK, Oz and NZ.. I don't think PNG could offer a lot of $

There could be quite a few $$ to be made.

nswfooty said:
Seriously though, it isnt much of a world cup, there are three countries that actually have a shot of winning it
That's ok as world cups go for the various sports..

It doesn't matter, it is a celebration of the codes 100 years in Oz, not a competition with soccer.
Afterall how many can seriously win the world championship at basketball, cricket, netball, ru etc.

1908 said:
It doesn't matter, it is a celebration of the codes 100 years in Oz, not a competition with soccer.
Afterall how many can seriously win the world championship at basketball, cricket, netball, ru etc.

But if it is a celebration of the code in Aus alone, doesn't that defeat the purpose of holding an international tournament?

Not at all. Everyone involved in the game is invited. Try and get out of your insular bubble. Just as the 50th anniversary of the game was celebrated with a WC and the centenary of the game in the UK.
If AFL had international teams they would do the same.

1908 said:
Not at all. Everyone involved in the game is invited. Try and get out of your insular bubble. Just as the 50th anniversary of the game was celebrated with a WC and the centenary of the game in the UK.
If AFL had international teams they would do the same.

Fair enough

The AFL does hold an International Cup which is relatively a new thing, it has been held twice once in 2002 and again in 2005 in Melbourne. I guess it could be pegged on the same level as the Rugby League world cup organisational wise or perhaps one rung lower, as it is held every so often (I don't think there is a set timeframe eg FIFA World Cup every 4 years, but I may be wrong). But the competition gives a chance for the developing Australian Football nations (Australia do not play) to compete against other countries, and for the AFL to see where international development is at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're trying to say that an AR WC is similar to a RLWC you really do need to get out of your bubble. The AR cup is played in suburban venues whilst the final of the league was played at Wembley Stadium in 1995 and Old Trafford in 2000. How can you compare the two?

dr nick said:
The rights will be purchased by 9, who will then onsell broadcasting permissions to other networks overseas, who feed off their coverage.
The rights to the 2008 World Cup are the property of the Rugby League International Federation.

nswfooty said:
Seriously though, it isnt much of a world cup, there are three countries that actually have a shot of winning it

This coming from an AFL supporter???? What has this world come too? :S

nswfooty said:
Fair enough

The AFL does hold an International Cup which is relatively a new thing, it has been held twice once in 2002 and again in 2005 in Melbourne. I guess it could be pegged on the same level as the Rugby League world cup organisational wise or perhaps one rung lower, as it is held every so often (I don't think there is a set timeframe eg FIFA World Cup every 4 years, but I may be wrong). But the competition gives a chance for the developing Australian Football nations (Australia do not play) to compete against other countries, and for the AFL to see where international development is at.

your joking right?

nswfooty said:
I am also a football supporter, in which their world cup is the biggest sporting event in the world.
In terms of World Cups out of the main Australian Football codes:

It is:

1. Football (any team that qualifies for the world cup)
Daylight
2. Union (4-5 teams at a pinch)
Daylight
3. Rugby League (3 teams)
Daylight
AFL/Gaelic Football/International Rules :)confused: )

Australia doesn't even play in the AFL WC, they would beat NZ (the World Chumps) by 250 atleast, justifiably considering they only have 1,000 players :D

Tutaki said:
In terms of World Cups out of the main Australian Football codes:

It is:

1. Football (any team that qualifies for the world cup)
Daylight
2. Union (4-5 teams at a pinch)
Daylight
3. Rugby League (3 teams)
Daylight
AFL/Gaelic Football/International Rules :)confused: )

Australia doesn't even play in the AFL WC, they would beat NZ (the World Chumps) by 250 atleast, justifiably considering they only have 1,000 players :D

lol...fair enough there

nswfooty said:
I am also a football supporter, in which their world cup is the biggest sporting event in the world.

Oh so you are justifying your laughable AFL world cup rants by the fact you are also a soccer fan.

I'm also a soccer fan so I guess that's cancelled out then.

Now back to the AFL world cup. haaa.

Crooked Rain said:
Oh so you are justifying your laughable AFL world cup rants by the fact you are also a soccer fan.

I'm also a soccer fan so I guess that's cancelled out then.

Now back to the AFL world cup. haaa.

Hang on, I am not saying that the AFL has great international competition. (I didn't know that aussie rules exists in some countries overseas) I don't follow the game for International matches

Remove this Banner Ad

World Cup TV rights - How much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back