Golf World Golf thread - Come for the golf. Stay for the gorse

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t need to re-frame the rule. Mac milked a situation for all its’ worth.

You are suggesting the rules of golf should be changed. This isn’t some pro TIO relief b/s. He just used the rules that are applicable to everyone. If you are suggesting a different outcome you need to suggest a new rule.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are suggesting the rules of golf should be changed. This isn’t some pro TIO relief b/s. He just used the rules that are applicable to everyone. If you are suggesting a different outcome you need to suggest a new rule.

It won him the tournament when he had a virtually hopeless lie

Without suggesting a rule change, now you are just whining.

Nearest point of relief in the same conditions.
So move far enough for the sprinkler head to not be in his stance.
Similar to a drop in a bunker. You can move it from, say a puddle, but nearest point of relief, still in bunker

Nearest point of relief in the same conditions.
So move far enough for the sprinkler head to not be in his stance.
Similar to a drop in a bunker. You can move it from, say a puddle, but nearest point of relief, still in bunker
Don't mind that - but not sure how that wouldn't have produced a similar result for Bob? Getting the drop was the key for him. I would like to see them go back to a drop from shoulder height, or even the old drop behind your back.

These fluckers would no doubt practice their drops from knee height to be able to land it on a dime.

Without suggesting a rule change, now you are just whining.

An unfair relief from a near impossible lie probably cost Adam Scott from winning the Scotland Open. Yes, Adam Scott probably shouldn’t have hit that pathetic 2nd shot on the first or that clumsy double bogey on 6 (I think). However, that relief isn’t right no matter what the rules say. My left nut says that he stands on the sprinkler or widens his stance if the ball was a perfect lie in that crap.

An unfair relief from a near impossible lie probably cost Adam Scott from winning the Scotland Open. Yes, Adam Scott probably shouldn’t have hit that pathetic 2nd shot on the first or that clumsy double bogey on 6 (I think). However, that relief isn’t right no matter what the rules say. My left nut says that he stands on the sprinkler or widens his stance if the ball was a perfect lie in that crap.
I was just as sad as anyone to see Scott miss out - by chance I got up to watch it live. Whilst no one likes seeing players "use the rules", it is part of the game. Bob's shot out of the rough after the relief was extraordinary. 247 yards out of the rough to 6 feet. You need to give that credit.

And then he made his putt on 18 when Scott's earlier attempt was pretty ordinary.

The relief pro golfers get is unbelievable. How many times we see them hit terrible shots and are in all sorts of trouble yet get relief because a power cord was hanging over head, a boundary rope was nearby , grass was growing into the bunker so my relief is outside the bunker. Etc etc etc.
I don’t think grandstands and pro events should be considered man made objects. It is not as if they appear in the middle of your swing, they know they are there and they should have to work around them without relief.
Pro courses should be simply as it is set up for that event.

The relief pro golfers get is unbelievable. How many times we see them hit terrible shots and are in all sorts of trouble yet get relief because a power cord was hanging over head, a boundary rope was nearby , grass was growing into the bunker so my relief is outside the bunker. Etc etc etc.
I don’t think grandstands and pro events should be considered man made objects. It is not as if they appear in the middle of your swing, they know they are there and they should have to work around them without relief.
Pro courses should be simply as it is set up for that event.
Agree with you - but MacIntyre's relief would have also been available to any amateur. It wasn't a TIO-type deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacIntyre made some ridiculous putts on the back nine.
Geez I thought his putt on 18 was going to be short. It just dripped in on the last roll. As much as we all would have wanted Scott to win, to make that putt to win your national open, after getting snakebit by Rory last year? Well, that was some Big Balls Bob.

Might have a sentimental wager on Scott this week.

I was just as sad as anyone to see Scott miss out - by chance I got up to watch it live. Whilst no one likes seeing players "use the rules", it is part of the game. Bob's shot out of the rough after the relief was extraordinary. 247 yards out of the rough to 6 feet. You need to give that credit.

And then he made his putt on 18 when Scott's earlier attempt was pretty ordinary.
Shot of the year in my opinion, pressure, wind, the lie and then nailing the putt, I've seen some great shots this year but that was tiger-esk, and quite insane!

Look, I must say I laughed when Bob asked for relief, his lie was so far down there were earthworms diving for cover, and why was a sprinkler head doing in the rough? In any sport if the rules are there, you use them, end of story. A question I must ask you and its not intended to be smart, if the roles were reversed and Adam played that shot and landed on the sprinkler head and got relief and not Bob, would you still feel the same way?

Last edited:
Don't mind that - but not sure how that wouldn't have produced a similar result for Bob? Getting the drop was the key for him. I would like to see them go back to a drop from shoulder height, or even the old drop behind your back.

These fluckers would no doubt practice their drops from knee height to be able to land it on a dime.
Have to agree 100%! Has to be from shoulder height, this dropping from knee height is, let me put it this way, the words I'd like to use, you probably wouldn't find in a dictionary.

PGA TOUR {The British Open}

L. Aberg $100 at $15
C. Morikawa $15 at $15
P. Cantlay $5 at $51
T. Finau $15 at $51
M. W. Lee $5 at $61
C. Young $5 at $67
A. Rai $5 at $81
M. Homa $5 at $126
N. Hojgaard $5 at $201
S. Burns $5 at $151
V. Perez $5 at $201
T. Kim $5 at $41
T. Fleetwood $20 at $21
D. Mccarthy $5 at $401

FIRST ROUND LEADER
L. Aberg $10 at $21
T. Fleetwood $5 at $34
A. Rai $5 at $67
T. Kim $5 at $41
T. Finau $5 at $41

outlay: $230

STEVE PALMERS TIPS
X. Schauffele
T. Fleetwood
S. Lowry
A. Noren
V. Perez
S.Valimaki

BEN COLEYS TIPS
J. Rahm
T. Fleetwood
T. Finau
P. Cantlay
W. Clark
H. English
S. Sharma

MIKE McCLURES TIPS
C.Morikawa

PGA TOUR {The British Open}

L. Aberg $100 at $15
C. Morikawa $15 at $15
P. Cantlay $5 at $51
T. Finau $15 at $51
M. W. Lee $5 at $61
C. Young $5 at $67
A. Rai $5 at $81
M. Homa $5 at $126
N. Hojgaard $5 at $201
S. Burns $5 at $151
V. Perez $5 at $201
T. Kim $5 at $41
T. Fleetwood $20 at $21
D. Mccarthy $5 at $401

FIRST ROUND LEADER
L. Aberg $10 at $21
T. Fleetwood $5 at $34
A. Rai $5 at $67
T. Kim $5 at $41
T. Finau $5 at $41

outlay: $230

STEVE PALMERS TIPS
X. Schauffele
T. Fleetwood
S. Lowry
A. Noren
V. Perez
S.Valimaki

BEN COLEYS TIPS
J. Rahm
T. Fleetwood
T. Finau
P. Cantlay
W. Clark
H. English
S. Sharma

MIKE McCLURES TIPS
C.Morikawa
I have made two sentimental bets. $10 e/w on Scott at 60-1, $5e/w on Day at 100-1.

You can't eat odds, but JDay is surely overs.

Think Rory will win.

In 2015, there was a young amateur named Sam Horsfield, who whilst born in England, had lived most of his life in the US. He was selected to represent Great Britain in the Walker Cup. However, 2 weeks before the event, withdrew - apparently his mum made the phone call.

Sam made it through qualifying to tee it up at Troon. He has been given the last tee time on Thursday. The R&A never forgets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Golf World Golf thread - Come for the golf. Stay for the gorse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back