Worst captain in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

as in playing skill or leadership skills?

Newman seems to be a fantastic on field leader
VERY, VERY TRUE, some idiots think that because they aren't a Top 10 player in the league they are a dud captain, but Newman is in fact a great consistent defender(Averages 20+ disposals per game BTW) and many had him in their AA consideration this season.

I have to say though Maxwell is a strange decision, IMO Dane Swan was the stand out and has shown it in his footballing ability as well.

for those of you saying lloyd thats probably why you are on here and not at a decent job, organisations want to hire people with leadership skills which you all obviously dont have, lloyd is the hardest worker in the side, always puts in everything he has, continually inspires the team while putting his body on the line, was touted by dermitt as the only unselfish full forward he had ever seen. he is the perfect example of a captain

just because he tucks his shirt in and dives occasionally (which is less now then a lot of other players in todays game) doesnt impact on his leadership.

if you think lloyd is a shit leader then you should go to a few leadership classes yourself

truth is unless any of you have played with each of the captains or been around them for a long time you cant comment on their leadership skills

I assume we are talking Leadership qualities not playing abilities?

As far as leadership goes, in an on field and media based capacity it would have been Kane Johnson by an absolute mile. Nowdays I'm not sure, it's tempting to say Newman or Maxwell because part of being a good captain is lifting your team by performance, but for a smokey I'll say Brad Johnson. That's based purely on 2008 of course but I think he should give it up same way Tredders did.

As a player Nick Maxwell by a street.

There is no better vehicle for showing up the limited thinking capacity of most football fans than a thread about AFL club captains.

A player's leadership qualities ARE NOT reducible to his on-field playing abilities, particularly when the vast majority of his job tasks will be carried out off the field!

You've got no idea, and couldn't genuinely guage any of the captains' true leadership qualities and abilities unless you actually spend long periods down at the clubs observing them, so stop pretending otherwise.

MASSIVE :thumbsu:

A captain is an ambassador for the club, the go to man for players, coaches and selection committee. Yes they are one of the many faces of the club, so being a good footballer does make them more marketable however that does little to assist their main role. Their job is to get the best out of the 21 other players each game and the 40 or so others at each training session. Whether that be through leading by example and pushing your body to the extreme at training or organizing team bonding activities to assist in building team cohesion and morale. Pretty much the only role a captain has on game day in the AFL is tossing the coin and a few rev up speeches before/during the game and leading by example by doing what is required for the team. As the quoted poster said... most of their work is done off the field...

On raw football talent at WCE you would probably have Kerr as captain... now that wouldn't be good for publicity with his behaviour issues/ in house fighting causing tension . Glass seems like a perfect candidate

Football ability and Leadership qualities are 2 different things.

Abilty wise, Newman has a more than Maxwell.

Leadership qualities, Maxwell seems to be highly spoken of at Collingwood by the likes of Buckley and co.

Still far too early to judge.

Cant say I understand all the Newman hate to be honest.

He had a disposal efficiency of 80% Just to make a point, the efficiency of other players who play a similiar position to Newman included;

Corey Enright - 85%
Luke Hodge - 83%
Lindsay Gilbee - 83%
Martin Mattner - 82%

The amount of negativity that Newman has copped since becoming captain is a joke. He is 100 times the player Kane Johnson was during his captaincy, and he certainly has better leadership qualities than some of the other garbage heads leading clubs at the moment. :thumbsu:

Dumb thread really.
I mean how would anyone know who is the worst captain in the league if they ain't there in house. There is an obvious reason they were given the gig and thats coz the respect and leadership they show and have got from their teammates.
Everybody is of the opinion the best player at the club should be captain thats crud coz if that was the case Franklin would be, Gary Ablett would be Adam Goodes would be and Daniel Kerr would be.

Tom Harley is a testament to this as he is one of the best captains in the league.

Change the thread to Worst Captain player wise that would be a better headline for this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly Matthew Pavlich.

Comes across as a self centred show pony.

Enough with the "look at me" fist pumps after you kick a goal while your team goes on to lose another game.

Why is Newman even an option? He will make a fantastic captain, and is still one of the most under-rated players in the league.

And this coming from someone who thinks Lloyd was an inspired choice. :rolleyes:

Poor old Essendon supporters. They've never forgiven Vandenberg for making a stand against their thuggery and turning the tables on them. Essendon have been no match for the Hawks, or a lot of other clubs since Vandenberg called their bluff.

Vandenberg was a great captain of the Hawthorn Football Club and I pity all the fools out there who cannot appreciate what a great job he did.

Has it ever occured to you that the reason why you have started to beat us is because since 2004 Essendon haven't made the finals and in that time your mob have significantly improved?

I always laugh when Hawk supporters point to that game in 2004 (a game which was lost by 70 or so points) as the catalyst for their recent good form against the Dons.

On topic:

Anyone who puts Lloyd in this category has no clue - watch R13 Essendon vs Carlton and watch the head clash between Lloyd and Judd

One captain (Lloyd) stayed on the park and played a vital part in the game with 4 goals whilst the other hobbled off the ground and had no impact (Judd)

Has it ever occured to you that the reason why you have started to beat us is because since 2004 Essendon haven't made the finals and in that time your mob have significantly improved?

I always laugh when Hawk supporters point to that game in 2004 (a game which was lost by 70 or so points) as the catalyst for their recent good form against the Dons.

On topic:

Anyone who puts Lloyd in this category has no clue - watch R13 Essendon vs Carlton and watch the head clash between Lloyd and Judd

One captain (Lloyd) stayed on the park and played a vital part in the game with 4 goals whilst the other hobbled off the ground and had no impact (Judd)
He had a concussion FFS he wouldn't of been able to come back on if he wanted to(who knows he probably did).. He wasn't able to resume playing for 2 weeks... How about going back to the 06 Grand Final where Judd popped his shoulder out in the last quater and kept playing didn't even go off the ground, and continued to have an impact

He had a concussion FFS he wouldn't of been able to come back on if he wanted to(who knows he probably did).. He wasn't able to resume playing for 2 weeks... How about going back to the 06 Grand Final where Judd popped his shoulder out in the last quater and kept playing didn't even go off the ground, and continued to have an impact
Ah a home and away game compared to a Grand Final yeah good one. Kennelly did it for fun every game with his shoulder

This thread is a waste of time as neither Newman or Maxwell have actually captained an AFL game yet, perhaps you should hold this of until the end of the 09 season and then lets see who has done a better job. My bet is that both will probably do well and there respective sides will have performed above expectations.

BTW, Go Tigers....

He retired as captain last yr but the team hasnt said who the new captain is.

Warren Treadra by far, he did no good for the club yea he WAS a good player but he is past his time.

Current captain i would say Pavlich coz he plays better without havin the captain tag

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst captain in the league?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back