Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Windy Hill or Victoria Park. Windy Hill was tiny, impossible to get to, and very run down with atrocious facilities.

The facilities at Vic Park were better but the behaviour/language of Collingwood supporters was nothing short of disgusting sometimes. Was very enjoyable whenever we won there though- 20-30 of us huddled together in the outer belting out the Cats theme song as the siren sounded, with Pies fans giving us evil looks as they trudged out of the turnstiles with us giving it to them. Got into countless fights there over the years.

Of the current stadiums, AAMI.

AAMI is absolutely terrible. Seriously I've been there twice and sat in sections 101 and 144 where the viewing was pretty good. But the standard of the facilities is horrible (it's like walking around underneath the grandstand at Vic Park!). Not to mention many of the locals were, how do I put it delicately, unpleasant. Mainly because both times I've been both the Crows and Power have been terrible.

Not to mention the fact we had to park about 10 blocks away on some suburban footy oval. Sh*t house public transport and just a general hassle to get to.

The sooner those 2 clubs are at Adelaide Oval the better. I will certainly make a trip over to Adelaide to see a Pies/Crows game at the Oval in the future.

The facilities at Vic Park were better but the behaviour/language of Collingwood supporters was nothing short of disgusting sometimes. Was very enjoyable whenever we won there though- 20-30 of us huddled together in the outer belting out the Cats theme song as the siren sounded, with Pies fans giving us evil looks as they trudged out of the turnstiles with us giving it to them. Got into countless fights there over the years.

This is pretty embarrassing.

I thought ANZ was actually pretty good. Given I was behind the goals the view wasn't bad at all. Don't know why it's such a hated ground - probably just another Sydney excuse as to why they don't show upto sporting events.

If you've ever had the displeasure of getting at seat in the 3 tier stand at Subi, closely followed by anywhere else at Subi, then thread closed. Even AAMI is a much better stadium (albeit in a much worse location).

At Anz the transport wad really good... I was a little angry at their food facilities. When I went up their for stkilda vs Sydney last year I was really hungry and dieing for something to eat.. So I was looking around for at least 5 mins for a store and when I found something it was very dear and not much to offer.. Mcg and Edihad smashes any other ground in the afl

Arden Street was terrible just before they closed it & Moorabbin just seemed to always be a disgusting bog in & around the ground. I can remember my Dad carrying me through the puddles (see small lakes) for fear of losing me. The inhabitants suited the ground but then again every home ground had its share of "colourful characters".

Definately Subi.

Is it the only AFL stadium to still have bench seats?

There are about 4 clusters of food/drink outlets to service the whole stadium, which you would think would make it cheap and easy to install large TV's so you dont miss the action while you queue for 20 minutes for a $15 pie and coke. But there arent any screens...

Definately Subi.

Is it the only AFL stadium to still have bench seats?

There are about 4 clusters of food/drink outlets to service the whole stadium, which you would think would make it cheap and easy to install large TV's so you dont miss the action while you queue for 20 minutes for a $15 pie and coke. But there arent any screens...

There are still some wooden bench seats at Kardinia Park.

Agree that Subiaco is the worst, the spectator facilities there are pretty poor for a 'modern' stadium. Also don't like the fact there is hardly any legroom between many of the seats.

Subi wasn't that great, but a close second would have to be being stuck on the bottom tier at The Gabba. If you ever see a game there, make sure you get on the top deck, for you can't see too much if you're stuck more than 6 rows from the front (which is where GA seemingly is).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At Anz the transport wad really good... I was a little angry at their food facilities. When I went up their for stkilda vs Sydney last year I was really hungry and dieing for something to eat.. So I was looking around for at least 5 mins for a store and when I found something it was very dear and not much to offer.. Mcg and Edihad smashes any other ground in the afl

It helps that the whole area was built for the olympics. Transport and the whole district is for ease of use.

I've only been to AFL games at one stadium, at that's subi. And it's truly terrible.

did anyone on here ever go to the WACA when they used it for footy and what was it like?

I saw plenty of games in the 90's at the WACA, my whole family were WACA members so like the MCC members it was seating on a first come, first serve basis and we usually always got there early to get good seats in the Prendiville stand.

I actually went to a WA v Vic state of origin game where WA smashed the Vics, from memory WA were coached by Mick Malthouse. One of my main memories of that game was a severe thunderstorm hitting Perth that night and the rain coming in sideways. We were sitting in the middle of the old stand that was above the members bar and we still got soaked.

Very small ground but the surface was always immaculate, I actually played a couple of games at the WACA when I was 17 remember the change rooms were massive and you had to be careful bouncing the footy as there was always the chance the footy would fly back over your head as the ground was so hard.

A lot of the games were played on a Friday night and a lot of people would then walk across the road to Gloucester Park for a bet on the trotters and few more beers.

Yeah subi is pretty bad. never even bothered buying food after the first time i went there, just took my own.
did anyone on here ever go to the WACA when they used it for footy and what was it like?

The WACA actually made Subi seem like a decent venue. It was, and still is, an awful sporting stadium.

The WACA actually made Subi seem like a decent venue. It was, and still is, an awful sporting stadium.

I like the WACA, it has a charm that subi lacks. The only thing i don't like there is the inverarity stand, and iirc that's getting demolished in the next reno :)

The WACA has charm? It's the most desolate venue in the country. No personality whatsoever. In addition to the shithouse position, the difficulty of getting in when it's full, the god awful queues for pretty much everything, the horrendously bad seating (although it's better than it was when football was played there) and the ancient stands combined with most of the seats having no cover (criminal for a cricket ground in Perth) makes it an all round shocking place to watch sport.

Coopers Stadium (SANFL) - a dilapidated facility that is a public liability case just waiting to happen.

Wha? I love going there :D

Awesome surrounds and atmosphere.

Athough as far as public liability goes, I was there for a game last year when one of the lights exploded.....

I actually went to a WA v Vic state of origin game where WA smashed the Vics, from memory WA were coached by Mick Malthouse. One of my main memories of that game was a severe thunderstorm hitting Perth that night and the rain coming in sideways. We were sitting in the middle of the old stand that was above the members bar and we still got soaked.

I recall going to a SoO match at the WACA where it rained all night, might have been the same match. Miserable experience sitting out there in the rain. I've also sat out in the outer for an Ashes test match in the full sun on a 35C+ day. Some seats don't get a skerrick of shade all day. Not sure which is worse.

As far as the worst at Subi goes, the three-tier stand at least has some shade, but the seats are so closely packed I doubt you could sit there for a whole day watching the cricket without just getting up and going home from the discomfort and inconvenience.

The WACA has charm? It's the most desolate venue in the country. No personality whatsoever. In addition to the shithouse position, the difficulty of getting in when it's full, the god awful queues for pretty much everything, the horrendously bad seating (although it's better than it was when football was played there) and the ancient stands combined with most of the seats having no cover (criminal for a cricket ground in Perth) makes it an all round shocking place to watch sport.
I totally agree. I'm not a massive cricket fan, so I've only been there twice, but it was pretty bad. My mate has a WACA membership and I tagged along to a Scorchers game. Even the members facilities were pretty average. But they don't even have the excuse of it being shit, but being able to host plenty of people... 25,000 isn't huge by any means.

Even though it was the evening, I remember thinking how you'd have to be insane to sit on one of those hills for a day of test-match cricket. Melanoma central.

Perth is notoriously hot, and it's okay for night cricket, but the Test variant is so archaic that it's insane that 60% of spectators have no shade. A saying about mad dogs and Englishmen comes to mind...

I'd rather see the WACA as a single tier, more boutique ground. Keep the hills but erect roofs over them. And by roofs, I mean ones that keep shade all the way to the fence line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst stadium you have ever been to watch the footy and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back