Would Geelong won the 1993 Premiership if we qualified for the Finals series?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes.

Gaz was dominant and injury free. WR had also caught a lot of teams off guard after a horrible start of season playing defensive footy, with a brand of blitzkrieg that others didnt quite no how to counter....by the end of 94 they had worked it out.

We certainly had an edge over the other top 5 and looked a far more dangerous proposition than what I consider a rather weak premiership side in Essendon at the time.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

I knew there was another reason I hated Collingwood:mad:I remember now.
They were beating Adelaide comfortably at one stage then rolled over and died after half time.

I still to this day believe it was deliberately.

Yes we would have.
Those last games we displaced first position each week, blues, bombers and Eagles (think that was it?) and were easily the form side of the comp.
What was forgotten a bit was that if we had beaten the Eagles in the last round by 10 goals we would have swapped places with them, we won by 20.

I have no doubt this year was Geelong's best chance, perhaps apart from 1991 when that miracle left foot snap by Darren Jarman still rankles in that Hawk 2nd SF win by 2 points. In '93 that form Geelong showed was imperious, absolutely SMASHING both norf and Hawthorn by 80 points (how good was that Rd 19 game at KP everyone), pole-axing the hated Hawks in a way rarely ever seen. Beating the Weegles in Perth too was exhilarating, alas the Pies played only about 70 minutes of footy and the Crows ran over them convincingly.

Does anyone else realise in that season, we played the weakest bottom three of all time (4-16 Bears, Tiggers and 1-19 Swans) just once each? And it's the only season from 1970 that featured just 20 home and away games. We missed out by just a couple of percent, a juicy return game against one of those would have been very helpful.

Oh well, we can regale ourselves with the three Flags of more recent times. But gee '93 for me always seems like a year that got away. It would be the softest Flag for sure until the Crows proved themselves the least impressive back to back winners with their pair of 13-9 seasons and astonishing 5th placed defeat at the hands of the 4th placed Dees in a QF, yet continuing on in the '98 Finals. Geelong was a total of 44 wins and 6 losses in '07-08, the Crows a rather pathetic 33-19 in '97-98, yet they won two flags. Not fair, eh?

I have no doubt this year was Geelong's best chance, perhaps apart from 1991 when that miracle left foot snap by Darren Jarman still rankles in that Hawk 2nd SF win by 2 points. In '93 that form Geelong showed was imperious, absolutely SMASHING both norf and Hawthorn by 80 points (how good was that Rd 19 game at KP everyone), pole-axing the hated Hawks in a way rarely ever seen. Beating the Weegles in Perth too was exhilarating, alas the Pies played only about 70 minutes of footy and the Crows ran over them convincingly.

Does anyone else realise in that season, we played the weakest bottom three of all time (4-16 Bears, Tiggers and 1-19 Swans) just once each? And it's the only season from 1970 that featured just 20 home and away games. We missed out by just a couple of percent, a juicy return game against one of those would have been very helpful.

Oh well, we can regale ourselves with the three Flags of more recent times. But gee '93 for me always seems like a year that got away. It would be the softest Flag for sure until the Crows proved themselves the least impressive back to back winners with their pair of 13-9 seasons and astonishing 5th placed defeat at the hands of the 4th placed Dees in a QF, yet continuing on in the '98 Finals. Geelong was a total of 44 wins and 6 losses in '07-08, the Crows a rather pathetic 33-19 in '97-98, yet they won two flags. Not fair, eh?

Winning at least one of those games where Ablett had a double figure haul but we still lost (14 vs Essendon, 10 vs Adelaide and 11 vs Melbourne) would've helped. The fade out against West Coast and falling over the line against Fitzroy after being about 7 goals up at half time hurt a fair bit too.

The problem was after the 1992 grand final we tried to be too defensive but didn't have the players to pull it off. Was only after we got thumped by St.Kilda that Blight decided to take the shackles off and go back to our "attack is the best type of defence" mantra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes we would have.
Those last games we displaced first position each week, blues, bombers and Eagles (think that was it?) and were easily the form side of the comp.
What was forgotten a bit was that if we had beaten the Eagles in the last round by 10 goals we would have swapped places with them, we won by 20.
Nth and hawthorn. Played them both when they were on top of the ladder. Beat hawthorn by 82 points and nth by 96. Then beat Bombers by over 5 goals and west coast in Perth by twenty which was very hard to do back then. Would of romped in to a flag if we kept playing the same way.

Who knows.. it was appalling that in that year they failed to qualify..Ablett on fire... he could have broken records that year.
History say the best defence win finals..well if thats the case my guess is probably leaning towards NO. If a side can get beaten when they have a forward that kicks 14..its says a lot about our defense.
We were awful the first two thirds of the season because blight employed a defensive mindset and we lost our attacking flair. Plus stoneham was playing injured for the first half of the season and Brownless was stinking it up in the seconds. Cats players forced a meeting with the coach five weeks out to tell him to go back to the old ways and we were head and shoulders above the comp in those last five rounds as a result. If only they had the meeting a few weeks earlier. It wasn't a lack of defence that stopped us. It was a lack of attack until too late.

We were awful the first two thirds of the season because blight employed a defensive mindset and we lost our attacking flair. Plus stoneham was playing injured for the first half of the season and Brownless was stinking it up in the seconds. Cats players forced a meeting with the coach five weeks out to tell him to go back to the old ways and we were head and shoulders above the comp in those last five rounds as a result. If only they had the meeting a few weeks earlier. It wasn't a lack of defence that stopped us. It was a lack of attack until too late.

It was a very even year but our defence was not as good as Ess for example... For and Against... Ess 2333/1959 Gee 2354/2109 admittedly this across the year.

Who knows.. it was appalling that in that year they failed to qualify..Ablett on fire... he could have broken records that year.
History say the best defence win finals..well if thats the case my guess is probably leaning towards NO. If a side can get beaten when they have a forward that kicks 14..its says a lot about our defense.

That Essendon game was nuts. At one stage Essendon were triple teaming Gaz and we had two loose players, yet we still kept bombing to Gaz and he still kept clunking marks. Gaz kicked 14.7 that day. The rest of the side kicked 5.11 between them.

Playing the best footy at the right time of year, that's for sure. Just didn't win enough games early enough in the season.

What a great last month of games though.

1993 was a very very very weak year ( the flag was their for the taking)

Carlton who made the GF i think it would be fair to stay were garbage - what i base that on was that the last game of the season i actually went to the Carlton v Swans game at Princess Park with a Swans mate

I think the Swans had won one game for the year - or had lost 20 in a row - they had a diabolical record - however with 5 minutes to go Richard Osborne kicked a goal and put the Swans in front ( did Carlton get the wobbles - it was hundred times worse - than the once front running Cats !! ) )

And it was only because a Swans defender ( whose name escapes me ) kicked the ball out on the full in the final minute - that led to a last gasp goal - Carlton would have got beat by the wooden spooner who won 1 paltry game for the year

Geelong had no luck in the 90s - 93 - 97 - then 92-94-95 running into powerhouse sides - or state teams in 2 of those years

Plus Stoneham got himself suspended versus the Dogs in Round 14 by stupidly sliding the knees into someone. He got three weeks; we lost the first two of them (to Melbourne and St.Kilda). We beat Collingwood (after the player/coach meeting), then Stoneham returned.

Very frustrating year.

I remember that year well. I won $100 by predicting that we'd win those last 5 games that year.

Unfortunate that we'll never know.
Yeah right.

No we were coming from too far back. Was our best better? Yep.

Yeah right.
The one thing I've learnt with you is that you try and bait people into a reaction, now please cease quoting any of my posts.

The one thing I've learnt with you is that you try and bait people into a reaction, now please cease quoting any of my posts.
Are you serious? Do you really want me to spend the time taking screen shots of your quotes.

You have me covered 5:1
Easily.

Stop baiting the entire board.

It was a very even year but our defence was not as good as Ess for example... For and Against... Ess 2333/1959 Gee 2354/2109 admittedly this across the year.
Our defence wasn't great despite trying to focus on it. Point is our attacking game would of been enough to get things done that year. It was a very weak year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back