JUDDanaut

Senior List
Apr 30, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
i just went through the bulldogs board and clicked on a link named membership numbers it went through all the clubs membership at this time of the year.
It listed that at this momemt of time , West Coast have the second highest membership in the AFL with 38 193 members.

Is this true? If so that is awesome.

EAGLESS FOR 2004

I think we had about 36 500 members last year.

Does anyone know what the cap is for members? I think the Eagles capped it at 38 500.

Just got my Melbourne Membership today! Wahoooo.....

Go you good thing. Love the pic of Jack on front of the membership card.

Cheers

GO THE EAGLES!!!!!!

it is a good pic.

I got confirmation that there is just over 38000 members so far.

Of that around 800 are vic based members. i'm suprised its not more than that in vic, we had at least 2000 at each game last year. Maybe they were perthians.

crowd numbers

Originally posted by sedders
why would they cap it? dont you have to book seats at subi now?

Subi holds around 42,300 but the WAFC ( or state govt) decreed that around 4000 ( I think that was the figure) seats have to be held for visiting supporters and walkups. I don't have a problem with seats held for opposition members but I don't agree that seats should be held for theatregoers who decide on the day that they feel like a game of footy. I know people who decided to follow the Dockers for just that reason - they didn't have to pay for a seat in advance and could just rock up when they had nothing better to do. They would buy a budget seat and then sit wherever they liked as the ground was never full. That is set to change as the Dockers membership is the best it's ever been.

The stadium is too small. The WAFC should have bitten the bullet and built a stadium to seat 55 to 60,000.The Eagles will never be able to compete against Adelaide (45,000) because the membership will always be capped. Therefore if you have a seat, don't let it go as you may not get in again!

does your membership relate to a particular seat at subi?

surley they could not cap it but make it a bit cheaper and then charge a $5.00 booking fee.

at some dome games (essondon and saints i think) I have to use my vic membership to reserve a seat.

Originally posted by The Mission Man
Or whether the interest in football thrives, dies or plateaus.

Whatever happens, the fact remains that Subi Oval was definitely the wrong choice.

I could go on for ever why Subi is shyte but IF we were to get a new stadium, why do we need to seat 60,000??? Why not have a standing area??? There are plenty of people who prefer to stand.... not sitting like budget seats on Garuda flight to Bali. And why do members have to sit in the same seat all year. Why not any where in block wotever? If you have a goose sitting next to you.... ya got him/her ALL year :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it is a good pic.

I got confirmation that there is just over 38000 members so far.

Of that around 800 are vic based members. i'm suprised its not more than that in vic, we had at least 2000 at each game last year. Maybe they were perthians.

Victorian membership peaked at around 1500 in the mid 90s and has steadily declined ever since. 800 isn't too bad really.

I dont wanna sound like a victorian telling you guys you got it wrong, but dont you think the allocated seat thing has to go.

Over here at the MCG we have the MCC members and AFL members sections and there's ALWAYS available seats there even when its a sell out. I think every single person should have to book a seat for each game.

I think it might also be a factor in why the subi is a little less vocal. If you have all the roudy supporters spread out with all the grandmothers, you're not going to yell as much, but if all the foul mouthed beer drinking louts (like myself) were able to move around and sit together they could really let it rip.

if i was an eagle supporter i'd be worried if we didnt have 40-50000 members and if i was a docker 30-40000 members...you have 2 teams in a whole state so you should have huge member numbers..the eagles have been around for a while now and the dockers half that...

Can i ask the question what is the argument saying we cant build the 2nd tiers to 3? I note this because the Three Tier stand back wall is the same as the back wall for the 2 tier stands in the vicinity, why couldnt an identicle 3rd tier be added to them? given the back of the wall is the same(ie dont need to go back into the carpark). That'd get a few thousand more seats at least.

Another question, what is the logistical reasoning behind the boxes? Could not the stadium be built right round, fitting a few boxes in other places while also getting more general seating? I dont know how engineeringly(not a word but stuff it:p) this is wrong but i just dont see how it wouldnt work and honestly want to know both logistically and engineering wise.

It would probably have more to do with foundations than anything. The foundations underneath the 2 teir stand probably wouldn't be able to meet the requirements meant for a three teir stand meaning that logistacly you would have to tear the two teir stand down to build a three teir stand which would equal lots of dollars.

Re: crowd numbers

Originally posted by vicki
Subi holds around 42,300 but the WAFC ( or state govt) decreed that around 4000 ( I think that was the figure) seats have to be held for visiting supporters and walkups.

I will guarentee you that the Eagles love the idea of having even more walk-ups then that and every eagles supporter should to. The problem with having stadiums that are all ticket is how do you keep people without tickets REALLY interested in your club as opposed to a passing interest? How do you ensure that a ten year old with parents who don't attend games still has a chance to become a die-hard eagle fan? Keeping a decent amount of walk-ups allows a greater catchment of fans instead of just having the same 40,000 eagle fans to every game.

thegur

seating

does your membership relate to a particular seat at subi?

surley they could not cap it but make it a bit cheaper and then charge a $5.00 booking fee.

at some dome games (essondon and saints i think) I have to use my vic membership to reserve a seat.

Yes, a membership includes entry to each game and the same seat reserved for each game. I have had the same seat for many years. I much prefer that to having to book a seat for each game and not knowing for sure that I will get the one I want.

numbers

Originally posted by lasher
if i was an eagle supporter i'd be worried if we didnt have 40-50000 members and if i was a docker 30-40000 members...you have 2 teams in a whole state so you should have huge member numbers..the eagles have been around for a while now and the dockers half that...

That is the whole point. The club cannot have 40 - 50,000 members when the ground only seats around 42,300 including walkups. Who would pay a season membership and then not be able to get a seat for the game ?? The stadium is not big enough to allow for the teams to expand their numbers. When the ANZ Stand was built, it was restricted in height so that the homes on the other side of the road would not lose the afternoon sun - or some such thing!

Originally posted by bluey17
I don't want to start an arguement but what is so wrong with Subi?

Other than having no room to expand, Subi oval faces the wrong way. East/West. The sun in the eyes in the last quarter plays havoc on the players. I don't think there is another footy oval in the country that faces East/West.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back