Writing/blogging for dosh....

Remove this Banner Ad

I tried it. In one month I made 77 cents. Certainly not worth it for me. The money comes from advertising revenue. If you write lots and write good stuff you can make money but you'd really have to be interested in what you write because if it's a hard slog then transferring that effort into a conventional job can earn you more.

I tried it. In one month I made 77 cents. Certainly not worth it for me. The money comes from advertising revenue. If you write lots and write good stuff you can make money but you'd really have to be interested in what you write because if it's a hard slog then transferring that effort into a conventional job can earn you more.

Just out of curiosity, what was your website?

I'd be pretty happy making anything from making an online blog. I've been having a look at this blog lately: http://www.stevepavlina.com/ and he's got a really good article in there about how he makes money from his blog. Goes into quite some detail and I think I might take a punt and start making an online blog soon.

I've got some ideas on what I want to write about, but my main problem right now is that I don't think my writing is up to speed. Anyone know any good online resources to spruce up your writing? More aimed to online writing/blogging I guess.

hi all - I'm Darren from that ProBlogger.net website that someone posted a link to above.

My quick advice on making money from blogging:

• it's a long term thing - there's no 'get rich quick' in this business
  • it is possible to make very good money from it
  • pick a niche/topic to focus on. blogs that are about everything from your cat to the movies you see to your relationships don't make money - pick something with a commercial aspect to it (hobbies can be good)
  • start simply - try out whether you've got what it takes to write something on your topic every day for.... well for a long time - try wordpress.com or typepad for some basic blogging tools to see if you like it
  • blog every day
  • leave comments on other blogs on similar topics to you - not spammy ones but comments that add to the conversation. If you do this other bloggers will begin to link up to you (if you've got something worthwhile to say)
  • be yourself - don't try to write in a style that isn't you - you won't be able to sustain it for the long haul
  • use a variety of income streams - the link above that was left to how bloggers make money outlines quite a few different ones to try. Not all of them will work on every blog.
  • traffic is the key - you've got to build something that people come to to read - otherwise no advertising or affiliate program will work

I'll leave it at that. There's a lot more that can be said - I've written 3500 articles on how to make money from blogging at ProBlogger so if you have more interest in the topic feel free to drop by and say G'day (I'm an aussie too).

hope that helps answer your questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Writing/blogging for dosh....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back