Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm blaming the list manager more than Ken for our lack of defender and ruck stocks. It's clear we knew about it, which is why we went after Ratugolea last season. And why we've tried a few others like Skinner etc.
You can't give Ken an out for 10+ years of this just because we don't have the perfect list. Have a look at the teams that HAVE won prelims and HAVE made Grand Finals over the journey. Every coach in the league works with the cattle he has. Also, we've finished in the top 4 enough times to say that we've had a list good enough to do a lot better than we have. I actually think the opposite of you and think that the players have actually made HIM look good. I can count on a couple of fingers the number of times I've noted a smart piece of coaching on game day. I feel like HE has let the players down by not supporting them with a game plan (at all) or at least a plan B or something that will hold up in finals. Scott last year knew enough about the group to know what he needed come the pointy end of the season. We now look like a team that were inspired by Warrens comments and worked their asses for for 13 rounds, worked themselves into the ground, while Ken celebrated like a supporter on the bench, jumping about and smiling ear to ear while they killed themselves for his new contract. Then come finals time, our walking wounded had no system or game plan to support them as the rug was pulled out from under them. All Hinkley had was the only thing he's ever had... Work Harder for Longer. Nobody's ever asked "Doing what?". And of course he loves his players, they're put out there every week to fend for themselves and in many cases, they've done it. Charlie Dixon is example #1. He's probably been sacrificed the most to Kens complete lack any other game plan and his ligaments and tendons just grist for the 'bomb it to Dixon' mill. Like a battered and bloody dog after a dog fight, he's loyal to the death. I may be wrong... We all have our interpretations and as bleak as mine is, it's truly how it feels to me.

Or with a straight finals exit a near certainty at half time, were expressing their disgust at the brain dead Port day-game organisers thinking a 'be the DJ' comp to select what song should be played at three quarter time would be entertaining for supporters.

My kids school sports days was more inspirational and far less annoying than the utter crap served up as entertainment by our home match organisers.

So Port fans, your team sucks and is failing in another home final. We know what will help with this.....

loud-noises.gif

Well he has an extension of 2 years but that is not the question.
Today with the taste of the 2 losses in the mouth i would say no.
Will he see out 2 years probably, am i confident he can offer much more, not really.
Do you think that they could have done anything but go into the game with players having suspect injuries? That is not trying to deflect your reasonable question.

‘Not really’

Well we all see that, yet here we are…

Why is making a GF seen as the target? It's manipulating the situation to make it out worse than it is. The target is a premiership, the diagram won't look as convincing then will it...

It’s obviously not the target, but the diagram speaks for itself — usually you have to make a Grand Final in order to win a premiership.

And given two-thirds of the league have been capable of making one during the period the coach has been here, the club’s preconceived rationale of “stability = success” (and other faff about teams that have chopped and changed) rings rather hollow.

D8331A41-316C-44D5-A36D-89D6D581E848.jpeg

But here’s some more context. This was the ladder at the end of 2012.

Of the teams that finished below us, the Western Bulldogs were one coaching change away from the man who led them to their first flag since 1954.

Melbourne were three coaches away from the man who led them to their first flag since 1964.

And GWS was one coach away from the man who would lead them to their inaugural Grand Final in 2019. They’ve since changed again, with a rookie coach who has already hit Hinkley’s high water mark at the first time of asking.

Of the teams directly above us, Richmond would go on to win three flags under their incumbent (the first coming in his eighth season), and Brisbane were three coaches away from the man who currently has them in a home Prelim.

That leaves the trainwreck Suns for whom nothing applies, and Port, whose coach will become the all-time games record holder without a Grand Final in Round 11, 2024.

Can still hear the happy clappers clapping from there teal houses

I actually don't think these "happy clappers" exist in the large numbers we think they do. The club carefully manages the message, the media goes along with it, and the false narrative of "a few bad apples" in the supporter base is pushed out there.

I pretty much don't come across anyone in my day to day who wants Ken Hinkley at the club.

I actually don't think these "happy clappers" exist in the large numbers we think they do. The club carefully manages the message, the media goes along with it, and the false narrative of "a few bad apples" in the supporter base is pushed out there.

I pretty much don't come across anyone in my day to day who wants Ken Hinkley at the club.

Still meet too many

Is it actually fair dinkum that a lot of the “giants fans” their last night were crows fans? The port are s**t chants seemed quite intense and I went past a group of them coming out of the ground and they were going pretty hard at us all. I haven’t really come across gws supporters before but I thought they’d be more your theatregoer types like Sydney fans so it definitely made me think their could’ve been a few crows fans in disguise.

The gws marketing was a bit of fun calling on crows fans but even I didn’t think they’d be that sad and pathetic to go through with it.

It’s actually like we were somehow responsible for postgate and last night was a form of revenge.

Strange.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Remember, we are their everything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t know if you saw the shirty exchange I had with Barry Curtin on a mutual friend’s Facebook page.

Baz was absolutely rocked at some of the anti-Hinkley sentiment from commenters in the immediate aftermath of the defeat, claiming it was all unfair criticism in hindsight.

They’re absolutely siloed in their Ken Oath-style groups, where even mild dissent is purged and thus live in a pure feedback loop of toxic positivity where Ken, Koch and co can do no wrong.

Why is making a GF seen as the target? It's manipulating the situation to make it out worse than it is. The target is a premiership, the diagram won't look as convincing then will it...

It still won’t look great. Once this season’s done there’ll be 7/18 clubs in the flag circle. So with maximum generosity we could claim that Hinkley has been the 8th best coach in the league during his tenure. Maybe?

Last edited:
Not sure if they’re happy clappers but definitely seemed to be a strong contingent of casual theatregoers near me last night.

I had a group of a couple guys and girls, assumed couples that basically gas bagged about everything not footy related for the whole game. The two girls barely stopped for breath, occasionally they would cheer or clap or mention something about the footy in random intervals.

And then after all that they had the audacity to cast judgment over those that were leaving early.

Probably the supporters that were 100% emotionally invested in the season and were simply mentally broken by the time the game was definitely out of reach.

Just wonderful to see Dixon posting happily on his Instagram page a few hours ago a clip of him and Lachie Jones doing a burnout.
Similarly, Duursma with a happy snap sharing a drink with good mate Jed McEntee.

The fact that we’re the idiots that care about this mob losing or winning, and they happily go about their lives within 24 h of that rubbish, tells you all you need to know about why they’re no good.

I don’t know if you saw the shirty exchange I had with Barry Curtin on a mutual friend’s Facebook page.

Baz was absolutely rocked at some of the anti-Hinkley sentiment from commenters in the immediate aftermath of the defeat, claiming it was all unfair criticism in hindsight.

They’re absolutely siloed in their Ken Oath-style groups, where even mild dissent is purged and thus live in a pure feedback loop of toxic positivity where Ken, Koch and co can do no wrong.

I saw it. Was hilarious back and forth.

Is it actually fair dinkum that a lot of the “giants fans” their last night were crows fans? The port are s**t chants seemed quite intense and I went past a group of them coming out of the ground and they were going pretty hard at us all. I haven’t really come across gws supporters before but I thought they’d be more your theatregoer types like Sydney fans so it definitely made me think their could’ve been a few crows fans in disguise.

The gws marketing was a bit of fun calling on crows fans but even I didn’t think they’d be that sad and pathetic to go through with it.

It’s actually like we were somehow responsible for postgate and last night was a form of revenge.

Strange.

It was clearly orchestrated. The group of dickheads in front of us made my blood boil. How sad must you be to go to another teams final and act like **** knuckles?

Barry Curtin is the ****ing worst.

If I have to hear my old man quote him one more time...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Part of the criticism I received for the banner was that it was easy to have a crack in hindsight, about a banner I made in 2018.

I also got called a "keyboard warrior" while standing in the stadium holding a physical banner in seats I used my 26 year platinum A membership to qualify me to pay $96 for.

This was the same guy who called us "noodle arms" and "girly arms". He probably absolutely loves Barry Curtin.

Starting Burton on Green was such a s**t tactical decision too.

No idea why it wasn't Bergman from the start.
The thing is, all coaches make mistakes like this. Its part of being a coach that sometimes your plan a doesnt work as you want.

Any other coach would have shuffled the magnets within the first quarter though, thats the difference. Same with the ruck and thats just the two most obvious ones.

We wait for the second half to change things up but we lost the second quarter by 30+ and lost the game by 23.

Its indefensible, lazy, abhorrent coaching. Honestly might be the worst coached game Ive ever seen, h&a or finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy You get what you deserve - vs GWS review thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back