Young bloke with half an arm

Remove this Banner Ad

Great little player, disappointing for him to have an injury so early in the TAC Cup grand final.

If he isn't rookied (doesn't look likely, half an arm limits his AFL potential) then he'd probably get a game down at Frankston in the VFL. Although, local MPNFL club Chelsea have apparently been chasing him, thats only a rumor though.

His Father and Uncle are well known on the Peninsula.
Both played and coached locally.

Sam lost his arm in a meat mincer in his Fathers Butcher's shop in Tyabb when he was 3 years old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute freak.

Have seen him play on numerous occasions.

The way he goes about his footy is brilliant. He doesnt give up at all.

Watching him mark handball and even kick, you wonder how he does it. If he does get drafted (prob wont) then go watch him at his VFL Club Next year or down at his Current MPNFL Club in Crib Point

ive played against a guy with only 1 arm, to handball, he would tuck it under his arm less shoulder and hit it with his good hand.
Wasn't a bad player either.

Moosehead said:
does this guy acually have half an arm?

Ugh, yes.

wbcarpenter_narrowweb__200x270,1.jpg

The best thing about Sammy is his attitude towards football. He doesn't let his disability worry him and he certainly doesn't expect any special treatment either. In his first senior game for Crib Point, he kicked 5 goals and was BOG. He also played U18 football as a 16 year old too, I believe.

I personally would be thrilled for him to get at least rookied. It’s a shame because he has that much natural ability, with a full arm he would be drafted defiantly. His best attribute for me is his tackling. He is a machine when it comes to that aspect of the game.

yer that kid is just a freak. seen him play once or twice, and he doesnt show any dis abilities really. the wat that he marks, tackles and grabs the ball with one hand id brilliant. to bad he cant make AFL level. dont want to sound mean,but who would draft someone with one arm??? feel sorry for him, could have been an AFL prospect with his state of mind.

Someone should take this kid on as a rookie, or in whatever capacity, even if he is never able to play at AFL level the insights he would glean would be invaluable. The point being this guy has adapted to playing with one arm, as a future coaching assistant, ball skills coach he would be invaluable. Whoever takes a punt on this kid would reap plenty of benefits from the kid.
He appears to have total committment, courage and obviously one handed ball skills...sign him up.

audas said:
Someone should take this kid on as a rookie, or in whatever capacity, even if he is never able to play at AFL level the insights he would glean would be invaluable. The point being this guy has adapted to playing with one arm, as a future coaching assistant, ball skills coach he would be invaluable. Whoever takes a punt on this kid would reap plenty of benefits from the kid.
He appears to have total committment, courage and obviously one handed ball skills...sign him up.
his a great player but the clubs wont list him he may be capable to compete against everyone else but they wont see him as able to compete against the leagues best. clubs dont list people they may feel sorry for and no one in their right mind would take a punt on someone for a future coach, the kid still has a long time till he would consiter coaching if his good enough

Moosehead said:
clubs dont list people they may feel sorry for and no one in their right mind would take a punt on someone for a future coach, the kid still has a long time till he would consiter coaching if his good enough

That is one of the most disrespect comments I have ever heard. Of course AFL clubs don’t draft players due to sympathy, if an AFL club offered Carpenter a contract due to sympathy, I guarantee he would reject it. He has worked hard for everything he has achieved and expects to be considered no different to his peers. If he makes a mistake, he made the mistake. It wasn’t because he has a disability. He has immense natural ability, but is also dedicated and that’s why he should be given a spot on a rookie list.

He will most likely miss out on his dream because he has the inability to build genuine upper body strength. He tackles harder then most U18 boys, and his skills are far from ordinary. He actually has a better mark then the majority of his team mates and that’s saying something. For you to suggest his only hope is to coach is disgraceful. I have no doubt that Carpenter will be playing consistent VFL football in 2006 if he isn’t picked up.

You didn’t even believe he had half an arm in your original post. Thus you know nothing.

Sidey_87 said:
ive played against a guy with only 1 arm, to handball, he would tuck it under his arm less shoulder and hit it with his good hand.
Wasn't a bad player either.

Sam is fantastic and an inspiration to all footballers to do their best and see what develops................BUT...............

Can anyone quote the rule book about the specifics of a HANDBALL?

I thought the ball had to be punched by your fist from the other hand.

Does this mean that every time a one handed player thumps the ball with his stump off his open hand it is a THROW?

I have two hands and I get pinged everytime I punch the ball off my fist with my elbow.

Maybe Sam should be given a go as a guest player in the Ted Whitten show game.

I played against Sammy in juniors when he was at Hastings. He uses his stump to hold the ball somehow, and uses his other hand to fist the ball. there would be no problems with his game, rule wise.

Was a really gutsy kid and won the league best and fairest in the MPJFL. He really deserves a chance but I can't see any clubs picking him up. I would most likely think he will end up at Crib Point playing in the 1's with Lukey Herrington.

Remove this Banner Ad

Young bloke with half an arm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back