Your favourite vocal performances

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlos

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2001
Beneath the blue & white
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of the reasons I campaigned pretty hard with Appleyard to get the music board separated on its own board again was because i really enjoy discussing and reading all the different tastes of many of you. I reckon this is just about the best board on BF now, and I’ve got no problem admitting that i’ve discovered more than a few new sounds through sampling some of the stuff that i’ve read about on here that was previously unheard of to me.

And i don’t think you can ever hear enough new stuff when it comes to great singers. I dont think you have to be a muso or even musically inclined to appreciate or possibly even be moved by a special vocal performance.

Anyway, I don’t expect anyone to ever come up with a definitive “all-time list” of anything related to music as I’m sure most of you are the same as me in that your tastes are so varied and your views and moods change so often that nailing down a hard and fast top X would be impossible.

But what are some of the vocal performances in your cd collections that you’d sit someone down to listen to if you wanted to blow someone’s mind?

I'll personally just go with a top 3 for now as i could write thousands of words on the topic (and have far too much time on my hands at the moment after quitting my day job!!).

My number 1 at the moment (and has been for years) is Chris Cornell's mind blowing effort on "Slaves and Bulldozers" off Soundgarden's amazing Badmotorfinger album. In fact my entire top > insert number < could be made up of Chris Cornell moments, but this one has always had me shaking my head in disbelief. The song is a dynamic, brooding monstor of a track in its own right, but Chris's vocals take it to some incredible places.

He starts of sounding like he's making a very believable threat on the well-being of whomever the subject matter is, and proceeds to take it to almost maniacal proportions. "NOW I KNOW WHY YOU’VE BEEN SHAKING" he screams during the pre-chorus with a voice that sounds like its coming straight from Satan's bowels. And just as you think he can't take it any further, he unleashes a chorus that just does not give up, reaching heights that very few singers can pull off and still have it sound musical. I still sometimes hold my breathe without realising it when i listen to it. Yeah, there are over dubs in there, but its still a masterpiece in vocal ability. If you've never heard it, i suggest you blow a joint or whatever does it for you, put the head phones on and be amazed.

My number 2 at the moment is from an artist that i regretfully admit i hadn't heard of until a friend introduced me to her music recently. Eva Cassidy. I can’t recall being moved so much by a person’s voice, not since the first time I heard Jeff Buckley anyway. Her rendition of “Over the Rainbow” which is featured on “Songbird” which from what I can gather is some kind of best of album of sorts, is one of the most effortlessly intoxicating performances i’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing. Absolutely stunning. I read that she is another who succumbed to the evils of the needle when she fatally over-dosed in 1996. Why is it so often the way that those who are so blessed can also be so flawed? Nonetheless, I certainly plan on discovering a lot more of her work.

My number 3 is Matthew Bellamy's effort on the magnificent “Citizen erased” off Muse’s brilliant Origin of Symmetry album. A lot of my friends who I’ve attempted to get into Muse are often put off by his voice at first. They either say its too similar to Jeff Buckley’s, or its just a bit too different to whatever they’re into. Then I play them this song and it usually hooks them in. The way he effortlessly moves between his normal singing tone, to his head voice and then to that falsetto is truly superb. And while I often have a bit of trouble interpreting his lyrics, whatever the subject matter on this song is, he certainly means it. It is a truly heart felt performance, and is even better live.

Sorry for waffling on. Like I said, too much time on my hands! :eek:

I'll limit myself to five. I reckon the best vocal performances come from telling stories of heartbreak and loss. So my first three selections aren't necessarily from the three best vocalists that I know, but the three efforts that pull at the heartstrings. However, there are a couple of others that are strong in the memory as they push other emotional buttons.

Firstly, Stuart Murdoch from Belle and Sebastian. He turns singing into storytelling. Sometimes I find myself forgetting about the music and just hearing him recounting the characters and situations described in his lyrics. The song I would pick would be "Slow Graffiti" from the "This Is Just A Modern Rock Song" EP. The song was used in the film, "The Acid House", and the way he tells the story of the loneliness of a the guy after his girlfriend leaves him is heartbreaking.

Second would be Kim Deal's vocal on This Mortal Coil's cover of "You And Your Sister". The opening line is "You say my love for you aint real, but you don't know how real it feels" and you can feel the desperation in her voice. If you imagine the emotion, how your own voice would crack if you're trying to convince someone of your love for them, well, that is what Kim Deal does.

Coming in third is Anne Marie Davis on Northern Picture Library's "Paris". This song was written by NPL's founder, Bob Wratten. Davis was Wratten's ex-girlfriend, and many of his songs were about her and their relationship. "Paris" was based on Davis telling him that she didn't need a boyfriend and that she wanted to move on. Listening to the song, you can hear the iciness in her voice, but you can also feel her pain, hurt, and bitterness.

Fourth is Nick Cave's vocal on "Mutiny In Heaven". The song is about heroin addiction and from his initial growling rant of "Well ah jumpt! and fled this f*cken heap on doctored wings, Mah flailin pinions, with splints and rags and crutches! (Damn things nearly hardly flap), Canker upon canker upon one million tiny punctures,That look like...Long thin red ribbons draped across the arms of a lil mortal girl", you kind of thank the fates that you never developed a heroin addiction. It was scary and ferocious, the lyrics spat out like a stream of consciousness leaving you unable to focus on his words (to the extent that it can be disorientating).

Finally, Bjork's vocal on the Sugarcube's song "Birthday". A child celebrates a birthday and you feel that Bjork is that child. It's just magical and you just wish you could go back to those early days when birthdays seemed to be so much more special.

At Vance.

Singer Oliver Hartmann has now left the band, but to me he is the ultimate vocalist in a variety of styles that transcends genres.

As much as the widdly-widdly guitar exists, I listen only for the voice, and that's rare.

Growing up and listening to the music that I did, meant that the vocals weren't that important to overall feeling I was trying to achieve by listening to music.

Playing the drums, I was more interested in the the beat and the music.

I've always known that whatever I was listening to I wanted / needed to be moved, to feel something inside that would make me move.

As I got older I started to listen more to the vocals and I started to appreciate how a good vocal performance can move me just as much as a double kick bass drum or a power hook can.

So (I am going somewhere with this) when I read the opening post this performance came straight to my head and it has sorta been mentioned already and it might seem a bit cliched, my first nomination is Jeff Buckely in So Real. When he hits that crescendo, it's musical heaven, it just overwhelmes me everytime...

My 2nd of last nomination and it sprung to mind because we've been tlaking about him recently is Mike Patton in The Real Thing. Some of the vocals can sound a little contrived, but when he lets it rip, just hold on....it's fits the song perfectly.

..."I know you feel it too......................................."

Some of the freach vocalists like Edith Piaf and Charles Trenut are great. Cant understand a word their singing about but they know how to get an emotion across.

Have to agree with Shinners about Nick Cave as well. I remember reading a review for 'Shivers', strangley enough another song about heroin addiction-maybe theres a theme here, and the reviewer said "In the hands of anyone else this song couldnt sound anything but mawkish but, dammit, Cave makes the thing breath". For me his best performance is 'Helpless' a Neil Young cover, but it could be any of half a dozen songs.

localyokel said:
Some of the freach vocalists like Edith Piaf and Charles Trenut are great. Cant understand a word their singing about but they know how to get an emotion across.
I was listening to a Piaf compelation last night as i fell asleep and the song "Non je ne regrette" was actually the very inspiration behind this thread (and had i written a fav 5, it would have probably been in there).

That performance can completely change my mood sometimes.

Can't narrow it down to numbers. Here are a few in no order.

I love the bit where the female backing vocalists voice cracks saying "Bay-abe (it's just a shot away)" on Gimme Shelter by the Stones.

The whole album "Grace" - Jeff Buckley. Moving, angelic, personal.

"I want you" - Elvis Costello. Epitome of honesty.

"Spring" - St Etienne (Sarah Cracknell vox). Crush inducing.

"Ashes to Ashes" - Bowie

"Seele Brennt" - Einsturzende Neubauten. Blixa's Soul is Burning.

"When Did I Stop Loving You?" - Marvin Gaye. This is what happens when you break up with Marvin. Simply beautiful and heartbroken.

If I'm alone, "The Great Gig in the Sky" - Pink Floyd can make me a bit teary.

"Je'taime, Moi Non Plus" Serge & Jane. Lucky Serge!

"TV Eye" Iggy Pop & The Stooges. Roar power.

Vandal said:
Tim Armstrong from Rancid is my favourite vocalist. He has such a distinctive voice and it really suits the genre of punk.

Good call...he has a unique way of slurring his words that fits well. Mainly the way he pronounces his r's

Kim Deal on Gigantic always kills me.

PeteLX said:
"I want you" - Elvis Costello. Epitome of honesty.
God yes! Great call. He gives me shivers in this song. The story behind it only adds to the earyness of it.

One i heard last night is from a singer (and band for that matter) who usually give me the absolute squirts, and thats Michael Stipe's effort on R.E.M's "Everbody Hurts". He really sounds like he is hurting an empathetic hurt for whoever he is singing about in that one, and its quite a touching song.

Beth Gibbons takes my breath away on Portishead's "Undenied" as well. That is just pure jilted emotion.

"...Now that i've found you, and seen behind those eyes, how can i carry on?.."

Imagine having someone say/write/sing something like that about you, particularly if you werent that keen on them?! Man thats full on!

I love Bert McCraken (The Used). He has a ver veristle voice. He's able to sing really beautiful and mellodic passages, only to be enhanced be his screaming... it just does it for me. Mainly songs like "The Taste Of Ink", "Buried Myself Alive" "Maybe Memories" and "Sound Effects And Overdramtics"

Davey Havok (afi) has a hauntingly amazing voice.. that man is a legend. Best song (imo) would have to be "Leaving Song Part 2"...amazing

The lead singer from Story Of The Year for the same reason as Burt McCraken. "Anthem Of Our Dying Day", "Divide And Conquer" and "The Hero Will Drown".

Also Chris Cheney in "Prisinor On The Inside".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PeteLX said:
"Springtime" - St Etienne (Sarah Cracknell vox). Crush inducing.

From Foxbase Alpha? It's called "Spring" and it's probably Saint Etienne's finest moment. I was very happy when they played that song when they toured Australia.

PeteLX said:
"Je'taime, Moi Non Plus" Serge & Jane. Lucky Serge!

He also recorded it with Brigitte Bardot.

I actually prefer his vocals on "L'anamour" where he just sings about the contradictions of love in a pretty blunt manner.

France Gall was also a pretty damn cool French singer too.

Personally, Maynard from TOOL is the greatest vocalist. If you want hard, loud, soft he delivers.

Chris Cornell and Cedric Bixler from ATDI and Mars Volta are other favs.

- The entire Grace album by Jeff Buckley. Most beautiful voice in human existance.

- The entire Diorama album by Silverchair. Daniel Johns' vocal improvement without enhancement is a wonder. Australia's greatest vocalist and someone whose creativity just seems to keep expanding.

There are loads of others, including RATM, ATDI, Sparta and much more, but I'm too tired to run through them all before 10am.

The Hitman

normally don't have a big thing for vocals... but i really like the versatility of nick oliveri... he has such versatility, from songs like tension head to another love song... he's a good screamer too...

A few off the top of my head:

Carl Wilson - One More Night Alone. They don't get much better than this one!

Linda Ronstadt - Someone To Watch Over Me

Dionne Warwick - Walk On By

Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning/New York, New York

Carlos said:
My number 2 at the moment is from an artist that i regretfully admit i hadn't heard of until a friend introduced me to her music recently. Eva Cassidy. I can’t recall being moved so much by a person’s voice, not since the first time I heard Jeff Buckley anyway. Her rendition of “Over the Rainbow” which is featured on “Songbird” which from what I can gather is some kind of best of album of sorts, is one of the most effortlessly intoxicating performances i’ve ever had the pleasure of hearing. Absolutely stunning. I read that she is another who succumbed to the evils of the needle when she fatally over-dosed in 1996. Why is it so often the way that those who are so blessed can also be so flawed? Nonetheless, I certainly plan on discovering a lot more of her work.

Totally agree. I hadn't heard of her either until a year or so ago. She had the most amazing voice - my favourite so far is her cover of Time after Time.

Also a Tim Armstrong fan.

Some of my faves;

Rickie Lee Jones...Coolsville
Bob Dylan...Jokerman
Dolores O'Riordon Burton ( Cranberries )...Salvation
Bono ( U2 )...Red Hill Mining Town
Warren Zevon...Mohammeds Radio
Rod Stewart...Gasoline Alley
Janis Joplin...Ball and chain
Neil Young...Helpless
Tex Perkins ( Cruel Sea )...Better get a lawyer
Bruce Springsteen...Backstreets
John Mellencamp...Minutes to memories
Tom Waits...Small change
Aretha Franklin...Say a little prayer
Crissie Hynde ( Pretenders )...Private life
Tony Joe White...Rainy night in Georgia
Mick Jagger ( Stones )...Sympathy for the Devil
John Lennon ( Beatles )...In my life
Frank Sinatra...Send in the clowns

The Hitman said:
- The entire Grace album by Jeff Buckley. Most beautiful voice in human existance.

- The entire Diorama album by Silverchair. Daniel Johns' vocal improvement without enhancement is a wonder. Australia's greatest vocalist and someone whose creativity just seems to keep expanding.

There are loads of others, including RATM, ATDI, Sparta and much more, but I'm too tired to run through them all before 10am.

The Hitman

Agree with Grace and the two Soundgarden albums-Badmotorfinger and Superunknown-Chris Cornell at his best.

Bjork is a stand out for me too the way she gets different sounds out of her voice.

Agree with the legendary Chis Cornell and Matt Bellamy is brilliant.
I would just like to add the moving vocals of Layne Stayey & Jerry Cantrell from Alice In Chains. I swear I am often haunted by the sound of their voice. I mean that in a nice way. These guys are truely moving singers who can scare the s^!# out of me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your favourite vocal performances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back