Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Low hanging fruit. It's like mentioning Nickelback, or Creed, or Limp Bizkit.

I've gotta say though, I own several thousand albums and CDs, and the genre of music that Coldplay represent is almost entirely absent from my collection. However, for some inextricable reason, and going totally against the grain of what my musical taste can generally tolerate, I find that a couple of their early albums (Parachutes and Rush Of Blood) are actually very good.

Don't ask me, I cannot explain why it is I really like those two records.

Low hanging fruit. It's like mentioning Nickelback, or Creed, or Limp Bizkit.

I've gotta say though, I own several thousand albums and CDs, and the genre of music that Coldplay represent is almost entirely absent from my collection. However, for some inextricable reason, and going totally against the grain of what my musical taste can generally tolerate, I find that a couple of their early albums (Parachutes and Rush Of Blood) are actually very good.

Don't ask me, I cannot explain why it is I really like those two records.
Good point, pretty vanilla call on my part. Also, I like Nickelback.

Pink Floyd are boring

Ive tended to get most bands that Ive tried to listen to. If I havent got a band it usually is due to, in my humble opinion, they are not that good, not due to my lack of effort :)

Im old enough to remember Abbey Road coming out. By the time punk came around I was old enough to be out and about if you know what I mean. One band late 70s I thought was a joke was The Fall. Despite fanatical following, I thought they were a farce, a pisstake. Then COVID comes, some extra time on hands, and BOOM, The Fall are wonderful. I wonder if others feel the same, or otherwise, any opinions on them would be interesting to hear. If you are not a believer try one of their later albums, it may surprise.

Contrarily, I got a ZoSo tattoo at a young age, I had never heard anything like it. A real musical revelation. After some decades, I now hold quite an unpopular view that LZep were a sensational 3 piece band with a poor singer who damaged many a great song. Now I can only listen to them sparingly, the voice makes me nauseous.

Perhaps Ive lost my marbles and judgement under the deleterious influence of COVID. Thoughts?
I think Planty’s voice is fine on most of the studio tracks but don’t like most of his ad libs on live tracks apart from Dazed and Confused off TSRTS

There's no doubt that their fourth full length release 10, 9, 8 ... is a masterpiece, but I think you're underestimating how fckn good the first three records (and Bird Noises EP wedged in there too) actually are. Midnight Oil, Head Injuries and Postcard don't get played much live nowadays, as the Oils tend to favour their more MMM-friendly radio hits at gigs, but us old-schoolers will always prefer those first 3 or 4 releases, and they get much more of a spin at home still than anything after 1983.
Red Sails was awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn’t get Genesis
Not into rap / screaming / meano/ country / jazz / most popular stuff from the last 30 years or more but good for all who enjoy their music The thread turned into ‘what music you think is shite’
rather than what you don’t get…. Subtle difference
Interesting to see what everyone likes though

Walking Away Nod GIF by GritTV

Last edited:
Red Sails was awesome
I must go back and re-listen ... it's been a while. As an angsty teenager when it was released, I was a bit peaved that my band Midnight Oil had suddenly become accepted by those around me whose album collections were otherwise heavily populated by the likes of Elton John, Billy Joel etc.

As a result, I might've turned my nose up a little unfairly at Red Sails. As a less angsty 50+ year old now, I'm sure I will have a much better appreciation. I'll probably love it, tbf.

For the record (no pun intended), I'm a massive fan of one of the Oils later releases Earth And Sun And Moon. It really resonated with me, especially side one, so it's not like I ever turned away from the band. I made sure I saw them numerous times throughout their most recent couple of national tours and soaked up every moment.

I didn’t get Genesis
Not into rap / screaming / meano/ country / jazz / most popular stuff from the last 30 years or more but good for all who enjoy their music The thread turned into ‘what music you think is shite’
rather than what you don’t get
…. Subtle difference
Interesting to see what everyone likes though

Walking Away Nod GIF by GritTV

They're basically the same thing aren't they? I love Tool don't get me wrong but their fans can be painful, Tool are awesome and if you don't like them you don't "get" them, its pretty arrogant really.

Anyway I'll go Post Malone, I may have mentioned him earlier. My wife dragged me to his show last year, I listened to his music a lot beforehand and didn't like it, and didn't like it live either.

He seems like a good dude, the crowd loved him, he put a lot into his performance, he's actually quite a good guitar player too. But autotuned pop rap music, yeah it can get in the bin.

I must go back and re-listen ... it's been a while. As an angsty teenager when it was released, I was a bit peaved that my band Midnight Oil had suddenly become accepted by those around me whose album collections were otherwise heavily populated by the likes of Elton John, Billy Joel etc.

As a result, I might've turned my nose up a little unfairly at Red Sails. As a less angsty 50+ year old now, I'm sure I will have a much better appreciation. I'll probably love it, tbf.

For the record (no pun intended), I'm a massive fan of one of the Oils later releases Earth And Sun And Moon. It really resonated with me, especially side one, so it's not like I ever turned away from the band. I made sure I saw them numerous times throughout their most recent couple of national tours and soaked up every moment.
Also Oils On The Water is a brill concert

Anyway I'll go Post Malone, I may have mentioned him earlier. My wife dragged me to his show last year, I listened to his music a lot beforehand and didn't like it, and didn't like it live either.

He seems like a good dude, the crowd loved him, he put a lot into his performance, he's actually quite a good guitar player too. But autotuned pop rap music, yeah it can get in the bin.

I don't listen to him but I don't mind his stuff if it comes on the radio or I hear it out shopping.

Musically he has sold out but he has stayed true to himself so I respect him for that.

I think Planty’s voice is fine on most of the studio tracks but don’t like most of his ad libs on live tracks apart from Dazed and Confused off TSRTS
Yeah. Im coming around again. The first 4 albums are mint. I like Robert. I love John.

They won't be getting too many new fans while Roger Waters is still alive and running his mouth with conspiracies.

He is well and truely cooked.
The only living Pink Floyd member I can stand is Nick Mason tbh, probably the least talented of them all but he has a good sense of humour & the Saucerful of Secrets project is pretty cool for the people that never saw the Barrett/early material performed live.

Gilmour with his family singalongs videos from the mansion gardens & promoting his wife's books etc. on Pink Floyd platforms is truly nauseating.

The only living Pink Floyd member I can stand is Nick Mason tbh, probably the least talented of them all but he has a good sense of humour & the Saucerful of Secrets project is pretty cool for the people that never saw the Barrett/early material performed live.

Gilmour with his family singalongs videos from the mansion gardens & promoting his wife's books etc. on Pink Floyd platforms is truly nauseating.

Red flags for me started when they released a new song on the endless river and the lyrics were written by Gilmours wife.

And since both Gilmour and Waters have been doing their own remastered versions of the album.

I think it will be a while before I feel the need to listen to a Pink Floyd album again.

Pearl Jam- just boring rubbish.
Icehouse- pure crap, every song
Noiseworks- utter boring manufacted shite.
Lady GaGa- gimmiky, uncreative, overated, derivative cat litter.
Phil Collins- an insult to every decent songwriter
Taylor Swift- I don't get the allure, no hooks and immature themes.
Living End/ Jet/ Grinspoon- lightweight copycat drivel.
Pink Floyd- navel gazing, pretentious codswallop.
Lenard Cohen- bores me senseless

Pearl Jam- just boring rubbish.
Icehouse- pure crap, every song
Noiseworks- utter boring manufacted shite.
Lady GaGa- gimmiky, uncreative, overated, derivative cat litter.
Phil Collins- an insult to every decent songwriter
Taylor Swift- I don't get the allure, no hooks and immature themes.
Living End/ Jet/ Grinspoon- lightweight copycat drivel.
Pink Floyd- navel gazing, pretentious codswallop.
Lenard Cohen- bores me senseless
I made heaps of people hate Grinspoon in 2020.
Great song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Remove this Banner Ad

Back