Your unpopular golf opinions?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll start.

If a ball moves while you are removing debris from around it, who cares. No penalty, play on. Even in competitions.
i feel this is more relaxed in club competitions.

but if we are to be definitive...

1. your balls in in the first cut on a slope. a twig is holding a ball up. Moving it results in the ball rolling onto the green or fairway even. Where do you play it from?

2. your ball's on the fairway, rolled onto a rigid leaf preventing said ball from rolling into the creek. where do you play it from?

Similarly, ball's in a divot, shall one receive a free drop? But what is a divot? What if the divot's been filled, but wind has blown some sand away leaving 50% of the divot naked.

So many questions.

Social golf should be more about speed and efficiency rather than perfect etiquette or the stringent following of every golf rule.

Also, here's one I think would piss a lot of people off and divide, especially with the tradionalists.

Amateur golfers in a social round when you're like +15, the course is backed up with multiple groups, your 4 ball taking out the flag stick for one putter, then putting it back in for the next guy, then the next player does their whole putting routine and wants the stick out, etc.

Just putt the ****ing ball and if it's within a foot or two then pick it up as a gimme.

i feel this is more relaxed in club competitions.

but if we are to be definitive...

1. your balls in in the first cut on a slope. a twig is holding a ball up. Moving it results in the ball rolling onto the green or fairway even. Where do you play it from?

2. your ball's on the fairway, rolled onto a rigid leaf preventing said ball from rolling into the creek. where do you play it from?

Similarly, ball's in a divot, shall one receive a free drop? But what is a divot? What if the divot's been filled, but wind has blown some sand away leaving 50% of the divot naked.

So many questions.

In comps at my local club, we all play common sense rules. Regardless of technical rules.
Eg: If you are cleaning your ball to putt, we don't bother marking it. Just pick it up, clean and put it back. Same if its clean and place on the fairways. Several others that I couldn't be sure if they are or are not permissible. Like moving the ball away from a fallen tree branch. Hitting of paths, that are not legitimate paths, instead tracks that have been worn into normal surrounds.
The list goes on. Nobody cares in comps. Except for the occasional technical person. But they usually settle down after a bit, or leave. 🤣

In comps at my local club, we all play common sense rules. Regardless of technical rules.
Eg: If you are cleaning your ball to putt, we don't bother marking it. Just pick it up, clean and put it back.
I could never agree to this one. Should never happen. I mean you pick your ball up, how hard is it to put a marker down, no extra time really.

But I agree it should be a free drop if you land in a Divot on a fairway. Why be penalised from hitting a good shot in a place that should be good to hit off.

I could never agree to this one. Should never happen. I mean you pick your ball up, how hard is it to put a marker down, no extra time really.

But I agree it should be a free drop if you land in a Divot on a fairway. Why be penalised from hitting a good shot in a place that should be good to hit off.
concur about marking said ball. if you're gonna pick up ball, you're bending down in the same action anyway.

divot Issue here is what is a divot? You will find players taking liberties. A small depression of a former divot but is grassed....someone will say that's a divot and taking relief.

Min Woo Lee is overrated, should not be in the Pee Cup team and isn't even the best golfer in his family.

bathroom peeing GIF

My golf club doesn't allow thongs in the bar/clubhouse which in general is fine and i respect especially at nice golf clubs but this is very much a working class golf club and it's the one rule that annoys me in summer.

divot Issue here is what is a divot? You will find players taking liberties. A small depression of a former divot but is grassed....someone will say that's a divot and taking relief.

It would only work if you allowed preferred lies on the fairway. Otherwise too difficult to define.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would only work if you allowed preferred lies on the fairway. Otherwise too difficult to define.
Preferred Lies For All would be just another societal step towards Hell along the Highway known as Everyone Gets a Prize.

Play the ball as it lies is one of the bedrocks of golf. Just like as in life, bad things can happen to good golf shots.

My golf club doesn't allow thongs in the bar/clubhouse which in general is fine and i respect especially at nice golf clubs but this is very much a working class golf club and it's the one rule that annoys me in summer.
I remember the days of long walk socks with shorts. As kids we'd tee off in summer and as soon as we were out of eyesight of the clubhouse, the socks would go down. Then they'd come back up near the end of the round. Now that was a dumb rule.

I agree, airing your feet after walking 18 holes is just smart. times are changing a bit though, Clubs are no where near as Strict as they used to be regarding club houses and stuff.

I agree, airing your feet after walking 18 holes is just smart. times are changing a bit though, Clubs are no where near as Strict as they used to be regarding club houses and stuff.
I long for the older times. When old members(strangers) felt entitled, obliged even, to tell us kids off for doing something wrong. All the time.

I will never get the opportunity to smack a hat off the head of some kid wearing it inside the clubhouse.

Nor will I ever be able to say, "Oh I do believe that logo on your shirt is far too big. Far too big."

Funnily enough, I smashed a drive on #15 at Box Hill last night into a divot. Started whinging to playing partners who advised me of the local rule due to the wet fairways..."preferred lies, one handspan". You freakin beauty. Lobbed a pitching wedge to 15ft, canned the putt for bird.
Walked off feeling like a cheat.

i dont see an issue there, relaxed club = relaxed dress code. if it's a VB/stubbies/blue singlet type crowd then it makes sense.

Preferred Lies For All would be just another societal step towards Hell along the Highway known as Everyone Gets a Prize.

Play the ball as it lies is one of the bedrocks of golf. Just like as in life, bad things can happen to good golf shots.

golf is the peak example of life. sometimes good sometimes shit. Call infringements and rules upon yourself.

Funnily enough, I smashed a drive on #15 at Box Hill last night into a divot. Started whinging to playing partners who advised me of the local rule due to the wet fairways..."preferred lies, one handspan". You freakin beauty. Lobbed a pitching wedge to 15ft, canned the putt for bird.
Embarrassed Shame GIF

You should've felt like a Tour player. They will do anything to get their ball in hand.

Guess you (re)learnt that valuable life lesson. Sometimes it pays off to be a whiner.

Eg: If you are cleaning your ball to putt, we don't bother marking it. Just pick it up, clean and put it back. Same if its clean and place on the fairways. Several others that I couldn't be sure if they are or are not permissible. Like moving the ball away from a fallen tree branch. Hitting of paths, that are not legitimate paths, instead tracks that have been worn into normal surrounds.
The list goes on. Nobody cares in comps. Except for the occasional technical person. But they usually settle down after a bit, or leave. 🤣
Do you all still cheat when you go and play at other clubs or just at your own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your unpopular golf opinions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back