Emma Quayle on Jack Ziebell 20/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
One of our possible/likely R1 picks - sounds very familiar by this summary. (Harro was an U18 captain too).

Picks of the draft: Jack Ziebell
Emma Quayle | November 20, 2008

FROM: The Murray Bushrangers and Caulfield Grammar, after a junior career in Wodonga.
THE NUMBERS Born 28 February 1991; 188 cms; 86 kgs.

THE LOWDOWN A tall midfielder who can float into other parts of the ground. He doesn’t have explosive pace but is a good kick. Has desire and courage in bucketloads, and supporters will love him. He’s also a leader and Ziebell’s team in this year’s AIS-AFL Academy voted him their most valued teammate.

RUNNING AND JUMPING Ziebell’s beep test was just below the average and he ran his 20-metre sprint in 3.11 seconds. You wouldn’t be drafting him for outside-the-pack speed, but that won’t matter too much because he’ll be the one in the middle of the pack digging the ball out.

WHERE HE’LL END UP Ziebell will be in the minds of Port Adelaide, Essendon and Carlton, but my money is on him heading to Brisbane or slipping through to North Melbourne at No. 9 should Daniel Rich slip down the order ahead of him.

SLIGHTLY IRRELEVANT YET INTERESTING FACT At 15 years and five months, in 2006 Ziebell became the youngest player to play senior footy for the Wodonga Bulldogs.

IF HE WAS A BISCUIT HE’D BE A Scotch Finger. Solid, reliable, not overly flashy but always gets the job done.

IF HE WAS A BISCUIT HE’D BE A Scotch Finger. Solid, reliable, not overly flashy but always gets the job done.

I dont know if that write up is fair to Ziebell, but Quayle seems to know her stuff so maybe she is right. But if she thinks he is a scotch finger then i would rather a tim tam. I dont want a player from our first pick do just be able to get the job done, i want him to be able to do it, plus really hurt the oppostion.

Three times. Based on that I rate him the hardest at the contested ball out of 50 or 60 mids I have looked at. I'm no expert, I'm just talking dribble like most other people.
Dont we need a outside mid?

Dont we need a outside mid?

Not as much as we need an inside mid*. Simpson is just about past it and Harris has struggled with the bigger workload. Riggio is the X factor and I don't really rate Lower a true inside midfielder. Levi Greenwood shows potential but he needs a much bigger engine to play in an AFL midfield. Overall I don't think there are any certanties after Harris.

As for outside mids we can add Jesse Smith, Ben Ross, Urquart and Thomas and Campbell should have more game time in the middle.

*Once again, this is only my opinion, I hold no professional football position.

Funny how Sidebottom hasn't been mentioned that much apart from his 10 goal demolition... wonder why

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*Once again, this is only my opinion, I hold no professional football position.
Don't sell yourself short, you post on bigfooty, that counts, we're all equals here.

Three times. Based on that I rate him the hardest at the contested ball out of 50 or 60 mids I have looked at. I'm no expert, I'm just talking dribble like most other people.

Fair enough.

Funny how Sidebottom hasn't been mentioned that much apart from his 10 goal demolition... wonder why

Draft camp testing probably tempered everyones enthusiasm a bit I would suggest. A little slow and tank not fantastic. Skills and footy smarts should enable him to get around this and will still be a good pick up.

Draft camp testing probably tempered everyones enthusiasm a bit I would suggest. A little slow and tank not fantastic. Skills and footy smarts should enable him to get around this and will still be a good pick up.

i read a post by Vic Crow on the adelaide board that sidebottom was the slowest player tested in the 20m sprint at draft camp, his time was 3.25 secs.

Not going to bother.

Il let the quote speak for itself.

2008 Draft Camp said:
Shuttle Run / Beep Test (level)

1. Chris Hall – 14.6

2. Rory Sloane – 14.5

=2. Steele Sidebottom – 14.5

3. Luke Shuey – 14.4

4. Jarrad Blight – 14.3

=4. Tyson Slattery – 14.3

5. Dan Hannebery - `14.2

=5. Ian Richardson – 14.2

6. Tom Lynch – 14.1

=6. Tom Swift – 14.1

3km Time Trial (minutes, seconds)

1. Dan Hannebery – 10.17

2. Steele Sidebottom – 10.32

3. Sam McGarry – 10.41

4. Tyson Slattery – 10.42

=4. Chris Hall – 10.42

5. Michael Gugliotta – 10.43

6. Rory Sloane – 10.44

7. Matthew DeBoer – 10.53

8. Jarrad Blight – 10.57

=8 Matthew Broadbent – 10.57

P.S:

Thats around the same time Judd runs the 3km for btw.

Tell you the truth, i really don't think Quayle does. But if she pretends too, she might sound like she knows what shes talking about.

Not sure what Emma's done to earn the disrespect she's copped here Nick.

She has spent enough time with prospective draftees, and at all of the draft camps and underage carnivals, to give her credentials 900% ahead of most of the rest of us.

Maybe you have some inside knowledge about her, but she seems like as qualified a person as anyone on this subject to me.

Judd and the AFL players do a 3.2 km trial. (2 metric miles)

200 metres behind him, with no professional training? Id take that.

r_boy said:
Pykie what's your view on Ziebell's tank? I realise he ain't a Harris, but will he be able to play 85-90% of a game if he puts the hard yards in?

He was injured at the draft camp, to the extent he didnt do a fair few of the tests.

Ziebell scraped into the draft by weeks. Hes still very bottom age, so theres huge scope for improvement, like most of those guys, in the endurance department.

He was in the leadership group of the AIS, which consists of 5, he also won the Mitchell medal in the AIS (which is voted on leadership qualities/character/work ethic etc).

If you draft him, your drafting a future leader of the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back