Past players - 2010 >>>

Remove this Banner Ad

he has shown glimses of being number one draft pick. will get better with time i reckon

Clarification of my 'rating' system:

- For each match report I have given Sculls a rating which needs some context. It's kind of based on EPL ratings where they dont give big numbers unless a mammoth game has been played.

So:

1)- Worst game ever played in the history of the AFL. Would involve minimum 10 clangers. Would have to have negatively affected the team so much that the player deserves death afterwards.

2) - Horrid game, their efforts were detrimental to the team.

3) - Virtually unsighted all match, bar a cameo or two that brought clangers and/or some other distaster.

4) - Quiet game, down on what is required and expected from a player. Possibly errors involved as well.

5) - Mediocre game. Wasnt bad by any stretch, but certainly didnt set the world on fire.

6) - Decent game. Didnt stand out, but contributed solidly to the team and did quite a few good things.

7)- Good game. Played their role and did it well. Contributed a lot to the team.

8) Great game. Was close to, if not, BOG.

9) Amazing game. Put on a masterclass and was clearly BOG. Colin Sylvia last year vs Hawks would be the last '9' game a Melboourne player has had according to my ratings.

10) Ridiculously good game. 10 goal performance or 50 odd midfield touches (to effect, ie not Dane Swan style). The sort of game that will make people purchase a DVD of, or be replayed endlessly on 'Brut Footy Flashbacks'. Usually only obtainable in a final.

He is married to the lovely Pia.

From a football perspective: confirmed, spud of the highest order!

Round Four 2010: Richmond Vs Melbourne MCG (55 point win:D)

Rating: 7.5/10
Kicks: 9
Handballs: 17
Marks: 4
Tackles:
Free Kicks: 3 for 0 against
Efficiency: 73%
Contested possessions: 8
Uncontested Possessions: 18
Clearances: 5
Clangers: 1
Assists: 2
TOG: 81%
Inside 50’s: 3

DT Score: ? Points
SC Score: 94 Points

Tom's best game for the club thus far. If Niknat hadn't of put on a masterclass on Friday night Tom would be a dead cert for a rising star nomination. Was amongst the best and earnt votes from many people. Seemed to be in amongst every pack, darting in and dishing off quick handpasses to teammates, the vast majority of which were effective. I hate bagging out Richmond when the whole city seems to do it non-stop BUT, it was a very young and inexperienced Richmond team so I wont be getting too carried away with his efforts. I expected given a lot of Richmond youngsters are small as well that he would have a good game and he certainly did not disappoint. BIG test against a quality midfield outfit next week in the Lions.

Pros:
- Very effective, both by hand and foot.
- Best game for the club so far, was damaging when he had the ball and got plenty of it.
- I keep droning on about it but his handball skills are elite.
- no frees against and only one clanger!

Cons:
- None.

Does he keep his spot?
Hell yes!

Cons:
- None.

I would say the only con would of been a couple of nervous fumbles in the first half, but he turned it round quickly. Don't under estimate how much confidence his performance in the second half would of given him, regardless of the opposition.

Round Five 2010: Melbourne v Brisbane Lions MCG (50 point win:eek::D)

Rating: 7/10
Kicks: 6
Handballs: 8
Marks: 1 contested 2 uncontested
Tackles:
Free Kicks: 0
Efficiency: 71%
Contested possessions: 6
Uncontested Possessions: 8
Clearances: 2
Clangers: 0
Assists: 2
TOG: 83%
Inside 50’s: 4

SC Score: 76 Points

Another quality game from Tom. Played mainly on the wing with time on a forward flank and in the guts as well. Might not have racked up a tonne of the ball but what he did with it was quality. 4 inside 50 and 2 goal assists show how handy his possessions were. Every touch he got was creative and moves us forward in a positive manner. Plenty of Judd about his movement and disposal from what I can see.

One of the best plays of the game (caused mass pants staining in the MCG) was his goal in the last to well and truly seal the game. Took the ball from a tap from a boundary throw on the members side HFF, ran back and used his explosive burst to lose all in his wake and launched a beauty of a kick that the goal umpire didn't have to move for. Brought the house down.

Pros:
- very creative and involved in multiple scoring chains
- plenty of contested ball

Cons:
- Nit picking, but could get some more touches and tackles perhaps? :confused:

Does he keep his spot?
Definitely.

[YOUTUBE]dKzSkpx9iCU[/YOUTUBE]

Still a long way to go: Scully(from MFC website)

EXCITEMENT machine Tom Scully says the Demons are not about to let recent good form get the best of them as the team looks ahead to a crucial round six clash with the Kangaroos.

Scully, wearing the famous number 31 guernsey of club legend Ron Barassi, had 14 touches, six contested possessions and a goal as the Demons rolled the Brisbane Lions by 50 points at the MCG.

Scully’s goal in the final quarter was his first in AFL football - a moment greeted with rapturous applause by a crowd of more than 36,000.

Article

Round Five 2010: Kangaroos v Melbourne @ Etihad (26 point loss)

Rating: 6.5/10
Kicks: 7
Handballs: 14
Marks: 4 uncontested
Tackles:
Efficiency: 76%
Contested possessions: 4
Uncontested Possessions: 17
Clearances: 1
Clangers: 4
Assists: 1
TOG: 81%
Inside 50’s: 2

SC Score: 62 Points

Another good game from Sculls, played mainly on the wing, with stints once again on a HFF and in the guts. Had 8 more disposals than last week, yet I dont rate his game as highly as the Brisbane game. And that has a lot to do with the pressure that North put on through the middle of the ground. They didn't allow much space for Tom and co to be as creative as last week, as evidenced by Tom having 2 less I50's, 1 less goal assist and no goals. Tom got more of the ball closer to the opposition F50 due to North pressure, which of course limited his opportunities to drive it inside 50.

Despite the 'cons' I'm pointing out, Tom was still an important player for the Dees on Saturday, and was one of the few players who tried to break the zone through the middle of the ground, but at this point his 77kg frame has its limitations and breaking tackles is one of them. But I absolutely love the way he breaks out of packs, draws defenders and releases ridiculously accurate handpasses that release teammates into space. I likened his lateral movement to that of Chris Judd in an earlier game review, but this quality is Gary Ablettesque.

Pros:
- got plenty of the ball
- increased tackle output from previous week
- tried to run and carry through the middle of the ground when others were pushing wide against our gameplan
- explosive pace and quick hands on display as always
- tough as nails and puts his head over the ball

Cons:
- 4 clangers
- less creative disposal than previous week (ie clearances, I50's)

Does he keep his spot?
Definitely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round Six 2010: Melbourne v Bulldogs @ MCG (3 point loss)

Rating: 8.5/10
Kicks: 19
Handballs: 20
Marks: 4 uncontested
Tackles:
Free Kicks: 4 for and 2 against
Efficiency: 59%
Contested possessions: 15
Uncontested Possessions: 23
Clearances: 8
Clangers: 7
TOG: 82%
Inside 50’s: 6

SC Score: 129 Points

Wow. So.... Wow.

BOG. First up, no disputing that (well Gia might but STFU). Again, played on the wing with stints in the middle and on the HFF. Got severe leather poisoning from his 39 touches. I dont even know where to begin. Scully was everywhere last night. I wish someone GPS'd him as I reckon he covered a record amount of ground- and with ease. Fittest player in the comp. I think he had 18 (could be wrong) in the last quarter :eek:

Seriously- I dont know how to explain his game, it was excellent, he made a few mistakes which was expected given the conditions, but stood up when we needed him and played brilliantly! May get 3 brownlow votes and will definitely be rising star for the round!

Pros:
-
39 touches
- had a tag put on him :D
- broke lines
- tackled hard

Cons:
- efficiency and clangers- though he has an acceptable excuse (weather)

Does he keep his spot?

Of course

Scully's star rises even higher

A SUPERB 39-possession game from Tom Scully has earned him this week's nomination for the 2010 NAB AFL Rising Star award.

Scully, who turns 19 this Saturday, was taken by Melbourne with the first pick in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft and has played every game this year for an average of 21 disposals.

He is the second Demon to be nominated this year, following Jack Trengove in round five.

While his stellar performance on the big stage of Friday night against the Western Bulldogs didn't quite get his team home, it was as emphatic an announcement of arrival as you could wish for - Scully's last term produced an amazing 18 touches.

With the match in the balance, it was an effort that lifted a good game into the realms of great.

Overall, his 39 disposals included seven clearances, five tackles and a goal.

Article

hughes2.jpg

Finally made his debut on Friday, after 1605 days since drafting. Kicked a good goal late, almost helped us across the line. One to look out for :thumbsu:

Seen him a couple of times at Casey, and love the look of him. Genuine X-factor.

And I assume, by the fact we've kept him as a rookie for so long, the club must rate him fairly highly too.

How long will this guy stay in the team for?

The Demons have 2 notciable forward line players who could replace him Miller and Dunn. In which he has been picked ahead of both of them this week.

Has been kept on the rookie list so he must have shown his talent for the dees to percievere and after all he was a round 2 draft pick.

Showed a bit in his first game against a tough opponent in Lake. Had 13 posses and 6 marks and kicked an important goal.

If Sylvia has problems with his hamstrings and misses lengthy time than he could stay in the side for some time i expect.

Thoughts on his job security in the melbourne side. Looks a good lead up type, i thought i saw similarites of Robertson in him.

How long will this guy stay in the team for?

The Demons have 2 notciable forward line players who could replace him Miller and Dunn. In which he has been picked ahead of both of them this week.

Has been kept on the rookie list so he must have shown his talent for the dees to percievere and after all he was a round 2 draft pick.

Showed a bit in his first game against a tough opponent in Lake. Had 13 posses and 6 marks and kicked an important goal.

If Sylvia has problems with his hamstrings and misses lengthy time than he could stay in the side for some time i expect.

Thoughts on his job security in the melbourne side. Looks a good lead up type, i thought i saw similarites of Robertson in him.

He's almost a like for like replacement for Petterd, he's in for the long haul I would imagine.

Brad Miller's career at the Melbourne Football Club (and probably AFL level) is over and I can't see him playing another game unless our entire squad explodes into a million pieces.

Dunn while getting quite a bit of the ball has been so wasteful in front of goal that it's not funny, he's kicked something like 4.11 for the season which is deplorable. He paid the price for being dreadful in front of goal which I think sends a good message, either put the ball through the big sticks or piss off to Casey.

I can see Hughes getting dramatically better with every game, so I think he's going to play most of the season. Could be an important player going forward :thumbsu:

Darren Cuthbertson
Seven I think in his first game showed a bit more
Hughes does look good though
He possess, runs and attacks long
AND towards our goal posts
Looking good

Round Seven 2010: Melbourne v West Coast @ MCG (29 point loss)

Rating: 5/10
Kicks: 11
Handballs: 11
Marks: 2 uncontested
Tackles:
Efficiency: 59%
Contested possessions: 4
Uncontested Possessions: 18
Clearances: 4
Clangers: 7
Assists: 0
TOG: 83%
Inside 50’s: 4
Goals: 1 goal 1 behind.

SC Score: 59 Points

What a shocking game for all involved. A must win game down the drain. Tom played once again on the wing and in the middle. His kicking was no good. Wont mince my words here- it was very ordinary. His 4 inside 50's were all clangers which went down the throat of opposition players. I think a little more composure (understandably) will do Tom a world of good as his kicking skills are solid, its his decision making that sometimes lets him down IMO.

I wont dwell on the match as it was no fun for anyone, and I'm sure Sculls will bounce back strong.

Pros:
- got plenty of the ball
- again- tried to run and carry through the middle of the ground when others were pushing wide against our gameplan
- an ordinary game for Tom still involves 22 disposals- usually when a Melbourne mid has a bad game they go missing completely and dont touch it. Stange pro? Maybe. But it shows how he could at any moment turn a game as he is constantly involved.

Cons:
- 7 clangers
- disposal efficiency very low. Almost all his clangers were kicks.

Does he keep his spot?
Yes.

***DISCLAIMER*** Haven’t watched this game yet, so my analysis is pretty much based on stats and what I’ve read on here. I’m hoping to actually see the replay later this week, so possible update is on the cards. Because of this, its not going to be a completely comprehensive report.

Sat May 22 Round 9 2010 Melb v Port Adelaide

Rating: (suggestions? 5/10?)
Kicks: 4
Handballs: 6
Marks: 3
Tackles: 2
Efficiency: 80%
Contested possessions: 3
Uncontested Possessions: 7
Clearances: 0
Clangers: ?
TOG: 72%
Inside 50’s: 1
Opponent: ?
One Percenters: 2
Rebound 50’s: 0

DT Score: 47
SC Score: ?

Pros:
-Great to see Wona back in the side
-looks a little lighter, should = extra quickness when fully fit (and be a bit kinder to the hammys?)
-Got a goal, when you win by a point every score counts 

Cons:
-Probably not quite ready for AFL level yet
-We need to find a balance between wrapping him in cotton wool and getting him to run his guts out. Hope those hammys hold

Does he keep his spot?
I’m going to open this up to the board. Maybe back to casey for a few more weeks?

I think he did enough to warrant at least 1 or 2 more games. Hard to judge on 1 game, but I think he was getting to the right spots, and putting good pressure on, just wasn't 100% with his touch and a few things. Deserves another week or 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back