Phantom Draft Snoop Dogs 2012 Mock National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Hope you enjoy this years mock. Been fun, as always love watching the junior footy and throwing my views up. Happy for feedback as long as its constructive. Couple of points;

1. This draft is so even after pick 15-20
  2. As always I think the top 15 are pretty clear. There will be a bolter or two but usually its pretty clear and this year I think that is true.
  3. Clubs are voting with their feet and i think the number of picks are well down
  4. Its incredibly hard to differentiate between some of the kids from 40 or so onwards as to who would get in or not. Clubs are putting a lot of focus on their interviews with kids these days and that will be a big determinant for a few in particular.
  5. have chosen to leave Adelaide out of the first couple of rounds as think this is probably the most likely outcome (banning them completely would be wrong IMO)
  6. Have also left out Kurt Tippett as unclear to me which draft he will nominate for.

Only thing we do know is you should take this with a grain of salt as this will most certainly not reflect the real thing.

# 1 GWS
Lachie Whitfield
Dandenong Stingrays
184cm / 74kg / ‘94
Elite midfielder but could easily see him playing anywhere on the park next year at senior level before settling there. Is just a player with enormous class and work rate (16+ beep). He simply works his opponents over and runs them into the ground. His execution is at the elite level and his work through traffic is as good as I have seen. New interchange rules make him even more appealing. Terrific kid to.

# 2 GWS
Lachlan Plowman
Calder Cannons
191cm / 86kg / ‘94
Attacking defender type who reads the game well and can really hurt the opposition with his ball use coming out of the back half. I think he could end up in the midfield in time so has positional scope but I dont think he will develop into a KPD. Think Luke Hodge type who will play more at HB though and then push into the middle depending on how he goes. Just a natural footballer. See above for what else could happen.

# 3 GWS
Johnathan ORourke
Calder Cannons
183cm / 75kg / ‘94
Will go fairly early in the draft I suspect as a really impressive kid who has come on well this year and could push quite high. He will appeal to clubs because he ticks all the boxes. When you watched him last year you would have called him an outside midfielder but he was very influential at the stoppages during this year. Equally, he is one of those effortless athletic types and has a nice turn of speed which has damaged teams at the back end of games this year. Outstanding ball user bordering on elite and but the thing I have noticed with him over last 2 years is he generally makes very good decisions around stoppages. He is clean with his hands and his decision making and execution are very good. No obvious flaws for him and think will thrive in an AFL environment. Menzel another for this pick. Suspect GWS are thinking hard about 4 players for the two spots.

# 4 Melbourne
Jimmy Toumpas
Woodville
183cm / 77kg / ‘94
I love this kid. Just an out and out footballer who shows terrific smarts and ball reading. Very adaptable player who might play back early but will go into the middle in a year or two. I think he would be ready to go pretty early. Has absolutely dominated National Champs and has shown some excellent SANFL form over last 2 years including being a part of the seniors sides premiership last year. Is just a really neat and classy player who has terrific skills inside or outside the contest. Has had some issues with his hip but he is expected to fine. Fine leader as well and has a bit of the Luke Hodge’s about him. There is a chance he will slide to 4 given I think GWS are probably thinking Plowman or Menzel more than him but I think he is the 2nd best in the pool.

# 5 West. Bulldogs
Troy Menzel
Central Districts
187cm / 77kg / ‘94
Love watching this kid play and fans will become a fan favourite. Learnt a long time ago with Joel Selwood and Chris Judd that you don’t write players off because you are worried about past injuries. Reports are this kid has coped well and structurally his knees are fine. That aside this kid is a top 5 prospect and is every bit the Nat Fyfe type player in the making. Huge amount of x factor and has genuine positional scope. Reads the play as well as anyone, his agility and evasiveness are terrific and his ball use is elite. Top 3 player in the draft for mine. Macrae is a chance here as well but I would think he is the best on the table at this point. Stringer, Wines or Macrae?

# 6 West. Bulldogs
Ollie Wines
Bendigo Pioneers
185cm / 83kg / ‘94
Plenty to like about this kid and he stands out as an early selection for mine given where the game is at and what clubs value. Elite midfield prospect who is a very good chance of playing senior footy at a high standard next year. Already physically developed with terrific endurance and shows a knack of being where he should be to receive the ball. Has clean hands and his stoppage movement through traffic is up there. His decision making is elite as well and that will be valued very highly. Has been ‘pegged’ as an inside midfielder which is very fair but his outside work is also very good. He can spread, create space for himself and use it nicely. Reminds me very much of Joel Selwood at same age. Been into him for a while so suspect it is him unless Toumpas falls in which case they will go him.

# 7 Port Power
Sam Mayes
North Adelaide
187cm / 78kg / ‘94
Was an AA player from the 2011 champs so has been on the radar for a while. Super impressive kid who I think could go as high as 4 or as low as 13. More likely earlier as his performances for North Adelaide late in the year were very eye catching. I caught some of those games and he was class. A good comparison would be Adam Cooney type. Looks like a player who does it easy and heaps of time to execute his decision. In fact am sure his highlight package will show some of this. Terrific ball user, is quick and very agile. He can player fwd or middle and wouldn’t even surprise to see him start at a HB type role but more likely as a medium fwd). Terrific player and his standout attributes are his decision making and execution. I would think Grundy will be a huge tempter for them but the new coach will build his mid group.

# 8 Brisbane Lions
Kristian Jaksch
Oakleigh Chargers
195cm / 87kg / ‘94
Come to the conclusion the Lions need to pass on the best midfielders and take the best KPP they can. One of the most exciting tall prospects I have seen for some time. If you haven’t seen much of him dont worry to much just go and watch the TAC Final series or the Champ game vs Tas if you can get access to them. He showed all of his tricks in those games. Tall KP player who has shown can play at either end with great success. I think will be developed as a fwd first given how damaging he can be there as well as terrific pace on the lead, a terrific leap, really good set of hands and lovely ball use. Has shown he can also switch into the ruck and he turned the game against GP when he went in there in the last qtr of the TAC GF. Done some terrific jobs through the year as a defender as well. To the extent it matters he could play a 3rd tall role pretty quickly albeit that might be more back than fwd. Outstanding prospect and given there are few talls in this draft could push up high. Is a ripper and surprised people dont talk about him more. Macrae and Mayes will be in the mix as well.

# 9 Richmond
Nick Vlaustin
Northern Knights
187cm / 83kg / ‘93
I really like this kid and he will appeal to a club as a potential Luke Hodge type player. That might be a big call but he is a terrific player. He is very highly rated individual who was a standout at the AIS and is a real on field leader. Has played HB and midfield predominantly but I think he will start more in the back half. Very efficient dual sided player who is a great height, has great hands, and is very aggressive at the stoppages and contested ball. Just seems to make good decisions and he seems to always be in the play. He never seems overly flustered either, just has that ability to take his time. Seen a fair bit of him now and have always walked away thinking he will be a player. Locked in on him and he is unlikely to go higher. If not him I suspect Macrae.

# 10 Essendon
Joe Daniher
Father / Son selection
........every other club is incredibly envious of you right now. Would have gone # 1.

# 11 Carlton
Jackson Macrae
Oakleigh Chargers
188cm / 75kg / ‘94
Real eye catching type who could play a few different roles and that will be a big drawcard to him. Has shown some sensational form at the Champs and in the TAC....particularly during finals. Is quick, smart and has a knack for the x factor type things required at important times. Very agile and elusive type player who will test opponents with his running patterns and movement through the midfield. Tested really well for his agility and kicking as was a bit surprised by the latter as have seen him butcher it at times as I think his ball drop sometimes is off. Clubs will be drawn to him but think they will want to see more ball winning ability. Thought about Jaksch if he were to fall along with Stringer and maybe spoil party with Simpson who is a player MM would rate and is similar to Daisy.

# 12 GWS
Jake Stringer
Bendigo
191cm / 91kg / ‘94
Not sure where he will go and am not exactly sure of where he will end up playing his footy but wouldn’t mind betting its midfielder in the Jobe Watson or Josh Kennedy mould. He is already a big strong and aggressive type who can do some freakish things on a footy field including kicking some big bags (had 9 in a TAC game). Type of player you would want in a finals game as he wont be intimidated and hence given where the game is going will be highly valued. Outstanding contested mark and ball user and I think will go pretty early as he is one you could look to develop more into the midfield over time. Prospect of a Kennedy, Garner or Grundy falling to here appeals.

# 13 Suns
Aiden Corr
Northern Knights
194cm / 84kg / ‘94
AIS member who is a key defender from the Knights who has been at the forefront of recruiters minds for a while. I think he is another player who isn’t dissimilar to Michael Talia. I am of the view he is more a CHB / FB type although he has been trialled fwd a few times. He is a really good size and has a body that will fill out and get stronger. He is also pretty agile, with reasonable pace for that type of role and whilst when I have seen him he seems more negating than attacking I think has enough scope given the agility and the kicking efficiency to be more attacking. I can see him being a bit more Heath Grundy like. Lot of mail he will be here for Josh Simpson or Garner are ones to look for here as well and frankly ones probably rate a bit higher.

# 14 GWS
Brodie Grundy
Sturt
202cm / 100kg / ‘94
I think he is probably the best out and out ruck prospect I have seen come through for some time. Super aggressive and has absolutely dominated the National Champs for the last 2 years and has showed seriously centre square work as well as being able to head down fwd and hurt the scoreboard. He is very good below his knees and his ball skill is right up there. Comparisons with Cox often thrown around a bit easily but not with this fella. Some suggest GWS wont go with a ruck here and that may be the case but ruck prospects like Brodie dont come round often but it wont surprise me to see OROurke or Menzel in this spot as the case against is they have Phillips, Giles, Downie and Brogan on the list and they rate Downie highly. I think GWS will let him slide to here safe in the knowledge he will be around but he is worthy of a much higher pick than here.

# 15 North Melb
Taylor Garner
Dandenong Stingrays
187cm / 77kg / ‘94
Bit unsure where Garner lands to be honest. You are taking him more on limited TAC form and his very good performances at the Champs. Since then he has been getting his shoulder fixed which meant he didnt test either. When up and about he is very very good as he ticks a lot of boxes. Seen a bit of him now and he is a natural footballer. Great size for a HF / midfielder type, he has good pace, is hard at the footy and handy around stoppages and can push fwd as a marking target as well and will be a hard 1:1 matchup in time. His marking in fact is a real feature....has no fear running back and he can take a grab against much bigger boys. Hard to compare him but I liken him to Nat Fyfe sort of player. Will take time to develop but laden with class.

# 16 Geelong
Mason Wood
Geelong Falcons 192cm / 80kg / ‘93
19yo kid who shows a fair bit as a tall quick medium fwd much like a Jordan Murdoch type from Geelong or a Nick Haynes. Clubs have gone nuts for him in last few weeks and I wouldnt be surprised if he lands at one of Collingwood or Fremantles picks. Has a huge motor, is obviously tall and could still grow more, very polished and moves across the park like a gazelle. Has a super left boot on him but does have the potential to spray the odd one or not take his time. I am unsure of his best spot. When I have seen him at TAC level he has played more key fwd but I think he is probably a better medium fwd or wingmen. Keen to see how he goes though as has some pretty handy attributes. He will get some time during the NAB Cup I would think. Simpson, Stringer and Garner all players they would look at I would think.

# 17 Fremantle
Josh Simpson
East Fremantle
183cm / 70kg / ‘94
Suspect Fremantle and management have spooked the opposition and he will stay a WA boy. Lot of stuff also spoken about this kids move from WA to SA but that wont impact him come draft day. From all reports a terrific kid who made a huge impression as an underager at the Champs last year for SA as a small to medium fwd and I can still vividly remember some of his efforts. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this kid launch a little higher than the 20-30 range that is expected as has genuine x factor around the goals. Have also seen him drift into the middle and he is better than people give him credit for at stoppages and through traffic. IN fact not a lot you can knock with this kid as has nearly all of it. Has electric pace, agility and super vision and backs it up with ball use that would be described as elite. Is still only light but he has too much pace to get caught too often and will settle to a HF or FP role. I think he will be an outstanding player for whoever lands him. Only knock is consistency.

# 18 Collingwood
Ben Kennedy
Glenelg
175cm / 76kg / ‘94
I dont know why I have this kid sliding..........Another prospect who has been incredibly well performed over the last 2 years at both National Champs and for Glenelg where he has simply made senior SANFL look easy. Typically plays either midfield or fwd and has shown himself to be adept inside the contest with his sure hands and clean ball use or on the spread where his pace and agility are highlights. Also has the capability to hurt sides on the scoreboard. Only issue with this kid will be height but he is ready to play now and has shown that shouldn’t be an issue for a club wanting to spend a high pick on him. I rate Kennedy pretty high and love to see him in the B&W.

# 19 Collingwood
Mason Shaw
South Fremantle
197cm / 82kg / ‘94
Big tall forward type who is an outstanding prospect. Terrific athlete who is very agile and has overcome some pretty bad injury issues to post some terrific performances this year. I think he polarises a few and to be fair I get that. The gulf at times can be reasonable but I think clubs back themselves to refine the issues so that the performance level is consistently high. 40 goals in 10 games at Colts level this year including 5 in the GF works for me. What I like about him is the running patterns he takes as a leading fwd, his ability to take a contested mark, his ability to finish (He runs at a 65-75% efficiency rate in front of goal) and has positional scope. I was still a bit unsure of him but saw him play in the ruck at one point and thought his reading of the game and movement around the ball was first class. Makes him very appealing I think. Lot of mail he will go late based on testing but I cant comment on that and think he is a ripper. If not him then White, Obrien or maybe Grundy sneaks to here.

# 20 Collingwood
Nathan Hrovat
Northern Knights
176cm / 76kg / ‘94
The next Toby Greene…..If he was 5cm taller he would be gone by now. If we forget height we find he is an endurance athlete who excels at the inside work and can get on the spread as well as anyone. Some of his ball use is just unbelievable and there have been times when I have watched him where he has picked off a pass I thought he was no chance of. He was ultimately selected into the AA team after finishing with an ave of 25 touches at a very impressive DE and was also named the VM MVP. From all reports a terrific kid to boot. Could easily be Lonergan .

# 21 West Bulldogs
Tim Membrey
Gippsland Power
189cm / 88kg / ‘94
Might be a bit controversial but a perfect fit for these blokes and you have to remember OMeara and Martin are also there so thinking something different. Everyone wants big bad Tim at their club right now and he is hot property but I just wonder how many use their first pick on this kid when his positional scope is potentially limited. He certainly isn’t big enough for a KPF and whilst I have seen him run through the midfield at Gippy am not convinced he can do it at AFL level. Certainly when I have seen him there he has been influential but he needs to be running a beep around 14-15 for clubs to be convinced he can do it. What he is though is an outstanding 3rd tall prospect that is every bit in the Jack Darling mould and with the scope to give his club that level of performance fairly quickly. We all know he is big, well built, aggressive and has a punching right foot on him that is incredibily accurate. Another one in this draft you just feel was born to play finals footy. Clurey a massive chance.

# 22 Sydney Swans
Jesse Lonergan
Launceston
183cm / 86kg / ‘94
Come draft day he could be rated a bit higher than this. Had some injury issues over the last couple of years and not sure we have seen best of but is a really tough and aggressive inside midfielder who is superb in the contest and makes really good decisions with the ball. Isnt overly equipped with pace but his decision making is very good as is his ball use so he makes up for it in my opinion. He is the best player this year from Tasmania and is an ex AIS kid. Terrific competitor and would liken him to Luke Parker sort of player who is equally well credentialed as a junior. To be fair he probably has more pace and a bit more agile but you saw how far Parker fell and so same may happen here. Clubs clearly got it wrong with Parker and wont make the same mistake with JL. Tested well at the combine for his kicking, his agility and his vertical leap so could also play fwd. They like his type so not sure if that means they will target more of his type or go something different. Sam Colqhoun is another player they tend to go for. I could see the Swans going tall here but I think they might find this kid to good to pass up. If they did go tall then Clurey, Corr or McBean I suspect might be the ones they want.

# 23 Brisbane
Tim Obrien
Glenelg
193cm / 81kg / ’94
Plays key forward and whilst only light he shows an enormous amount of upside and potential. He leads really well, has the ability to take a nice contested mark, is equally competitive when the ball hits the deck and is very efficient with the ball. I think the fact he stood out at DC for some pretty key indicators for key fwds won’t hurt either. Has a bit of the traditional ‘bloodnut angry streak’ and doesn’t mind being a bit physical in his approach. He just needs to add some bulk. Clurey a chance with Corr for them to rebuild the spine.

# 24 St KIlda
Tom Clurey
Murray Bushrangers
195cm / 86kg / ‘94
Will surprise I think come draft day. Key position defender, who is an elite athlete, is composed with ball and uses it very well. I suspect he may be rated down a little bit as didnt think his performances at Champs gave him full credit but certainly some of his TAC games were very good. I think he will settle as a FB / CHB type who a bit like Hurley could be thrown fwd at a pinch. The knock on him will be the gulf between his best and worst and has ability to dominate. But he is very very likely to be a great defender for many years. McBean would suit them as well and you wonder if a Spencer White isn’t a type they would look at. Nirvana would be Mason Shaw still on the board.

# 25 St KIlda
Dayle Gartlett
Swan Districts
180cm / 76kg / ‘94
Will they or won't they! Not entirely sure where he will slot in but what I do know is he is one of the players in the draft that probably stands out as having the most x factor. Not sure we saw the best of him through the carnival but having seen a fair bit of him over the last 2 years I am convinced. I really rate the WAFL senior form he has shown and he has been outstanding at that level. He is ok at the stoppages but to be fair is still light and has therefore been more an outside type. He is quick, finds space and has elite level ball use. For mine he will certainly start as a small fwd who will gradually move into the midfield. Has had his issues on a couple of different occasions but am led to believe he has done enough to convince the right people he is committed to what will be required.

# 26 Melbourne
Jack Viney
Father / Son.

# 27 GWS
Liam McBean
Calder Cannons
203cm / 87kg / ‘94
He has so much potential that it is still unclear where his best spot will be. In some ways he reminds of Keefe from Collingwood. Just an incredibly agile big fella who could play forward or back or ruck or .....all of the above. Seems to read the play well for a big guy, he certainly gets around the park very well for a big boy, he has very good skills so if he fills out and settles in to a role he could be a sensational player. Has huge scope. I would think they will be looking for a tall and if they passed on Corr then expect him to be called. Graham or Wright or even Colqhoun big chances for mine.

# 28 Hawthorn
Nathan Wright
Dandenong Stingrays
183cm / 78kg / ‘94
Wright is one of my favourite players in the draft and depending on the club he lands at I think he could well walk into senior footy next year. Resume is very impressive and there will be a recruiter that just loves this kid so much he might reach much higher. Aggressive, clean hands, ability to run and carry, very good ball use and can play in a number of different spots. Will start in the back half and be very much a Heath Shaw type but who absolutely could go into the middle. He may lack the x factor of others but in my view he is a bloke you would recruit because you know he will be the type that plays really well in finals type games. Knock on Nathan is his kicking but I think its fine. Towers or Graham are others.

# 29 Port Power
Nick Graham
Gippsland Power
182cm / 76kg / ‘94
I have seen a fair bit of him and I can make a case for him to go higher than this. Reminds me very much of a Parker / Ellis / Toy sort of player from previous years and who looks most comfortable as sitting on a HB or BP and using his ability to read the play, provide an option and then execute really well. Has good endurance but probably lacks the yard Ellis has so I think he might drop to about here. Very competitive and hard at the footy and when gets a decent shape on him he will be a terrific inside midfielder. Terrific kid and he has some real upside as think he might thrive given his competitive nature. If he is gone then I reckon if Nathan Wright was here they would jump at him but they may also look to take a tall here especially if they have gotten Jolly dealt for the back end of the draft. Smith or Close or anyone else above.

# 30 Port Power
Sam Colquhoun
Central Districts
180cm / 73kg / ‘94
Light little fella who is pure class and was an AA. Shone at the Champs where he played behind the ball very well almost to the point though where it has a few asking can he play 1:1 footy. He dispelled that post Champs when he went back to SANFL and showed he could. Best position is probably going to be HB or wing and possibly into the middle where his ability to read the play, position himself, decision making, vision and ball use stand out. Ultimately though I think clubs will go for his ability to attack from the back moreso than his ability to play 1:1 footy. I liken him a bit to Matt Suckling.

# 31 Richmond
Jason Pongracic
Dandenong Stingrays
182cm / 86kg / ‘94
Think Porplyzia or Lewis. Ex AIS kid who has played champs for last 2 years. Has good pedigree and think he will have a really good AFL career if he can get some of his hip injuries behind him. Med fwd and inside midfielder who is a strong body type who has a red hot go and has very clean ball use. He also can play very effectively closer to goal and has been a standout with the Rays over the last 2 years. Can get on the spread and accumulate ball but isn’t overly quick and hence the comparison to a Lewis. Certainly has scope to play fwd and done that well at times through the year to be a scoring player. I wouldn’t say his skills are elite but there is certainly nothing wrong with them. Capt down at Rays as well. Aidan Corr or Tanner Smith might be in the mix here.

# 32 Brisbane
Rory Atkins
Calder
183cm / 75kg / ‘94
Winner of the Calder B&F and as kid I think might surprise come draft day. Had his issues as a bottom ager but saw him a couple of times last year and stood out to me as one to watch. Didn’t let us down and gave some sensational performances for Calder through the middle of the year but wasn’t used much in the Champs...in fact his champs were pretty ordinary which may worry some. Midfielder / Fwd type in the Chris Knights mould who is a run and carry type of player and is just one of those natural looking players who is good 1:1 in the air or at ground level, very clean with his hands and efficient ball user. Will take some time to develop though as he is pretty light and hence think he will start more fwd but i can see him moving onto a wing with time and really developing into a Knights type player....smart fwd who can go through the middle but not overly quick. The knock on this kid is his fitness and the fact he hasn’t improved through 2012 as much as others. But an AFL environment will get him right and he will be a ripper. Haynes or Sumner might be others around here.

# 33 Richmond
Brodie Murdoch
Glenelg
191cm / 80kg / ‘94
Was a massive fan of his brother last year and was staggered he fell so low and am lining up to head the cheer squad for this kid as well. Very similar sort of player as brother and he has the same positional scope as well. Has dominated up fwd at junior level but also shown an ability to play high HF or wing more recently. Will be a tough kid to match up on as he has the run and carry clubs look for, endurance, pace, can be pushed fwd or midfield and is a sublime kick of the ball. Look for him to be a player who can be a 80m player and being the bloke they transition the ball through. Just might be one of those players that can be thrown fwd at a pinch as well as he is a very smart fwd with good running patterns on the lead. Tested really well at the Combine. Tim Broomhead would be another SA kid they will have been watching. He is every chance of going earlier than where I have him. White?

# 34 Essendon
Adam Carter
South Fremantle
179cm / 70kg / ‘94
I have really struggled where to slot this kid. Some very good WA judges who have seen more than I will say he should be up higher than this. Admittedly when I watch him I think he does lots of things well but he just doesn’t have that one standout attribute those above him have. In saying that you can see that when he gets a bit bigger he will be a very solid midfield who is proficient in close with clean hands and ball use, can get on the spread and accumulate and finish well. He is tough, doesn’t make many mistakes and I will be interested to see who gets him. Whilst had some games in seniors late and was ok he needs time to fill out but is very polished and hence worth the wait. I came very close to slotting Shane Nelson here. He would walk into the midfield group and to be fair I probably have more confidence in a 19yo Nelson than a 18yo Carter. Atkins or Feilds?

# 35 Carlton
Spencer White
Western Jets
195cm / 90kg / ’94
Huge talent who just hasn’t been discussed to the extent I thought he would have been. Kicked 36 goals for the year as a strong marking, agile forward who is blessed with speed and a beautiful left boot. Has kicked some big bags through the year and is a ‘go to’ player. Already a big boy but hasn’t lost any of his agility as has bulked up and think he is probably one clubs are pretty excited about and will get talked up more as the day draws nearer as he has that x factor about him. If there was a knock on him I would think it is his consistency because the gulf between best and worst can be enormous. Clubs will back themselves to knock that out because kids as talented as him invariably get taken. Tested well so that wont hurt.

# 36 Fremantle
Tanner Smith
North Ballarat
194cm / 83kg / ‘94
Needs to add some weight but many would argue he is the best key defender in this draft. Reminds me a bit of more of the young boy Talia from last year who dropped a bit and I think Tanner may do the same. He is a good shut down player and rarely gets beaten 1:1 but I just wonder if he is offensive enough for clubs to bid higher than this. Has all the tools to be more attacking as seems to read play well and makes good decisions with ball in hand as well. Has good closing speed and also probably has the endurance to drop into CHB as well. Close and Corr would be 2 others would look closely at and Rodda who is in their back yard would have to appeal. Shaw?

# 37 North Melb
Ben Jacobs
Port Power
I think Richmond, Essendon and the Saints would be every chance of trying to get him before this but usually players like he get where they want and I dont think this will be any different.

# 38 Collingwood
Tim Broomhead
Port Magpies
183cm / 73kg / ‘94
Been watching this kid since late last year and has just continued to develop really well. Was impressive at times during the champs and in Foxtel Cup but has been very good for Port Magpies where he has seen senior action and acquitted himself well late in the season being a really influential player for them. He seems to have really good endurance which enables him to spread and get on the end of the ball more often than not. Has a nice turn of speed which he uses out of the contests and is very agile whilst ball use is efficient and certainly AFL standard. The only knock on Tim is he is a tiny little fella and he really needs to add some bulk. Wouldn’t surprise if he was taken a little earlier than this though as the upside potential is rife with him but he will need time. Will be a player and probably should have higher. Could see a name going that I don't even know here. White?

# 39 Fremantle
Matthew Dick
Calder Cannons
187cm / 85 / ‘94
Was told early on this year to keep a close eye on this bloke and whilst I could see the potential the output probably wasn’t there. As 2012 has gone on this kid has really screamed up my ladder. Smooth moving, very quick and a terrific size for an AFL HB / Winger who clubs would be pretty excited about what he could do for them. His skills are excellent and whilst to me he looks a bit laconic he always gets the job done. In fact there was a piece of play at Champs where he worked brilliantly between Wing and HF and he very nearly nailed the goal at the end of it. If he had have then there would have been much more chatter about him (eg a Sam Blease moment). I liken him a bit to Heath Shaw but a little less intense...not a bad thing! One I will keep my eye on closely as think he could be a late pick that really makes his mark. Shane Nelson might be a local kid they think could walk in and add something to their mid rotation.

# 40 St Kilda
Sam Siggins
Lauderdale
196cm / 86cm / ‘94
Have seen a bit of this guy and he could be a bolter come draft day. Has all the attributes you want in a key tall. He is tall, is going to fill out, has a good 5-10 steps on him and uses the ball on the transition very well for his size. I dont rate many tall backs in this draft and he could be one that clubs say is one of the better ones. Harry Walshe might be another who gets looked at.

# 41 North Melb
Jackson Thurlow
Launceston
190cm / 80kg / ‘94
Interesting player as many have pegged as plays loose a lot. Thats not correct. He did that at times during Champs but coaching staff will tell you he always had a man and was just very good at zoning off. Have also seen some of his TFL games over last 2 years where has been very good for the senior side and has pushed into the middle. He is a good mover, reads the play well and he is a beautiful kick. He will go higher than people think and along with Lonergan is the best out of Tasmania this year. If they haven’t grabbed an x factor type by now then I could see Sumner, Duffy or Irra around here.

# 42 Richmond
Dean Towers
North Ballarat
189cm / 83kg / ‘90
Wouldnt surprise to see him drop here as a ready made replacement for Young. Has come from the bush to dominate at VFL level this year and then showed his ability when he played state as well. Clubs won’t have any issues convincing themselves of his upside. Is lightning quick, tested as elite in the vertical jump and is a very good ball user so he presents as one of those players you can transition the ball through. My only worry is whereas Smith’s form got better as year went on Towers appeared to taper but that may be more a reflection of the engine not yet being ready and a couple of injuries he had. Brodie Murdoch or Rory Atkins are ones I would consider here. If they went tall here Aidan Corr would have to be one in the mix.

# 43 St Kilda
Leigh Osborne
Franskton
186cm / 84kg / ‘90
I think he could go a lot earlier than people think. Not just because he was an invitee to the National Combine but because he has some of the tricks that clubs have been looking for in mature players from state league...particularly when he is the perfect replacement for a bloke thats been delisted . Mid sized defender who already appears to have the running capacity to make the transition and has a super turn of speed and seems a good ball user. Only seen a 3-4 times but I think he is one of the top 3-4 but has comparison to Hibberd and can be every bit as good. Kyle Martin would have to be looked at as well.

# 44 Sydney
Andrew Boston
Broadbeach
182cm / 75kg / ‘94
Might be reaching here but saw him last year and didnt really stand out as someone who I thought I should watch to closely this year but saw a couple of games during the champs and at NEAFL and he was very impressive. He is a really good mover and just has a knack of getting on the end of it but its his ball use that stands out. His efficiency rating would be off the charts as he is a superb kick on either side of his body. Only thing I worry about is how long it will take him as he is still a bit ‘little’ and he isn’t adept at going inside as some of the others before him. But for kicking he would be one of the best in the draft. Thought long and hard about slotting Corr in here and they have a need for talls so makes sense.

# 45 West Coast
Sam Lowrie
South Fremantle
187cm / 83kg / ‘94
Terrific sized midfielder who seems to have a few fans and fear I probably just haven’t seen him at his best. Doesnt have any particular stand out attributes but is just your solid midfielder type who can play inside and out and tends to rack up a fair bit of the ball. Can push forward and get himself into dangerous positions and when think about how he unfolds the Barlow comparison has some claims. Unfortunately didnt get to finish off his year as he got hurt when making his league debut which was poor luck.

# 46 Sydney
Kamdyn McIntosh
Peel Thunder
192cm / 78kg / ‘94
Others will have him a lot higher but having seen a fair bit of him I am still a bit unsure. Seen a few times at champs and also some of his WAFL games and he didnt scream out the Rd 1 prospect I am being told. What is clear to me he is that he is a good key defensive prospect who seems to have good agility and a good understanding of reading the game and influencing it. I think he would be a Heath Grundy type player as seems to go alright on all types. Testing results from DC were very good.

# 47 North Melb
Jason Ashby
Oakleigh Chargers
185cm / 77kg / ‘94
Jury is a bit out on me with Jason as to whether he goes around here or in the rookie. Saw him once with my brother and one of us was very positive and the other wasnt so sure. Seems a more outside type of player who certainly racks it up and uses it well but just not sure how in demand he will be. Certainly tested very well at draft camp.

# 48 Melbourne
Laine Wilkins
Peel Thunder
183cm / 78kg / ‘94
He is an interesting prospect Laine as when I first saw him i thought he reminds me very much of Dale Thomas. He has all the tricks Dale has but just hasn’t really had that break out game in a really important match Dale had so I suspect he is one that will polarise. His fans will argue the goals vs Metro were the teaser but his detractors will say few and far between and justifiably cite his Colts form. But look this kid is quick, he is incredibly agile, magnificent leap on him and a superbly skilled player. He has enough potential to be rated from 10 owards but he just hasn’t shown it. I just wonder he might be someone who really steps into an AFL environment and is really productive.

# 49 West Bulldogs
Lachlan Hunter
Father / Son

# 50 West Bulldogs
Marvin Warrell
South Fremantle
182cm / 73kg / ‘94
A player that has grown on me over the year. Saw a bit of him very early in the year and he seemed to be (with all due respect) just one of the many small forwards from the WA production line with nothing particularly standing out. To be fair didnt watch closely but couldn’t help notice when he pushed into the middle and was a consistent winner of the ball. His agility and ability to escape the contest and then make a really good decision with the ball really stood out. Played a lot more of that role in the WAFL towards year end and has stamped himself as one to get pretty excited by because he ticks lots of boxes; pace, positional scope (fwd and middle), goal kicker, aggressive at contest, dual sided skills. He could also be a player you push behind the ball as he seems to have defensive mindset when he doesn’t have the ball and his skills coming out would be very handy. Louis Herbert might be one they would look at or may even be hoping Spencer White from their backyard drops to here.

# 51 Essendon
Michael Close
North Ballarat
196cm / 84kg / ’94
Key position type who reminds me a bit of James Craig or Leigh Brown at same age. Still a bit light but very competitive insomuch as you can see him will himself to the next contest. Could be developed as a tall fwd or back. Polarises people because the difference between best and worst has been big at times but you often get that with bigger kids at this level. I saw him in one game and was just not a buyer and thought he might be a rookie but then saw him the next week and was making a case for him in the 2nd round. Not sure where he will start because think he is quite adaptable but suspect will probably start at the back end and then develop up the field. Has a 15+ beep, good strong mark and is a pretty good user of it but he just needs to be much more consistent. Just hard to peg these guys as still unsure of a position for him but he is a real ‘goer’. Corr, Smith, Siggins, Walshe are all others they might look at but I would think Close would be a steal here.

# 52 Melbourne
Brant Colledge
Perth
192cm / 87kg / ‘94
Already a pretty big lad and is a fairly imposing sort of figure who suffered from injuries around Champs and we just didnt see the best of him. Just that height that isn’t quite tall enough for KP forward so he will find himself as a flanker / wing type but he is much more agile than people give him credit for and has a real want for the contest. Swans might be looking at bigger talls here in which case Siggins or Gregory would have to be in the mix.

# 53 Essendon
Louis Herbert
North Ballarat
186cm / 70kg / ‘94
Medium forward type who can really hurt opposition sides on the scoreboard. Has had regular hauls at TAC level and is just a really smart fwd type. Still only light but has real pace, good hands and would think you could bracket him as an elite kick. I saw some vision of his 8 goal haul earlier in the year and you cant not be impressed with this kid. Suspect he will land a little higher than people think as has that x factor, coupled with pace and elite ball use. When the body fills out could be a weapon. Bit of the Nat Fyfes for mine but suspect have a touch more speed. Again thought about Nelson here.

# 54 Carlton
Cameron Banfield
Sandringham
183cm / 74kg / ‘94
Medium defender who is still very light but shows look like an AFL player. Saw a bit of him and thing I really like and him is his poise. He just seems to take his time and make good decisions and hence I think he has scope for the midfield because he can certainly win his own footy and he is a good user of it so with that time factor he has he could be very promising... he needs bulk and hence maybe a club will rookie him. Enough clubs keen though – he went to National DC and his results were good.

# 55 Gold Coast
Matthew Haynes
Northern Knights
190cm / 78kg / ‘94
I have been a fan of Haynes for a long time. Haynes is your ‘80m player’, he is an elite runner with a terrific burst of speed. He has height and a body that will fill out. I liken him a little to Wellingham who wasn't known for his contested ball winning but it was something the development coaches worked with him on and will make the same assumption that it can happen with Haynes. Can play a variety of spots but I think he is best used around the HB or wing where he is allowed to run at the goals and be put on the end of it by the inside types. He is a jet who has worked hard on his athletic ability. Downside is his ball winning ability and he hasn’t stepped up. Have some people telling me could slide as a result but I just cant help thinking of what he showed us last year….it was very good and he has huge scope. Shane Nelson would be a terrific pick here.

# 56 North Melb
Darcy Fort
Geelong Falcons
203cm / 84kg / ‘93
19yo ruck prospect who I think North might have a run at with the loss of McIntosh. I know a bit about this kid and he has a lot of upside. He is very slight still but he has a red hot go and if a club gives him 2-3 years I think they will end up with something special. Obviously a terrific height but has good agility and is good below the knees. He reminds me a bit of a young Goldstein.

# 57 Gold Coast
Clay Cameron
QLD Zone selection

# 58 Gold Goast
Kyal Horsely
Rookie Upgrade

# 59 West Coast
Harrison Marsh
East Fremantle
188cm / 78kg / ‘94
Medium defender who has also played a fair bit through the middle. Player that I really like and has some similarities to Nathan Wright. He is an aggressive type player who seems to always be involved. He has really good pace but I would be interested to see what his endurance results were as if he could fix that it would give him a lot of positional scope going fwd. Very good kick and will kick through the lines so coupled with his speed he could be your Sean Atley type defender. Really interesting player and think he might just step up quicker than people expect and be quite a good AFL player. Was very tempted by Alex Howson and Ethan Gill here. Havent seen much of Gill but for a few highlights but has his fans.

# 60 West Coast
Nick Rodda
West Perth
194cm / 94kg / ‘94
Kid reminds me a lot of a young Eric McKenzie. He is a big boy and already reasonably well developed. Started the year incredibly well and went well at Champs for the most part but had some troubles with Daniher which is no surprise. Havent seen huge amounts of vision of him but what have seen have liked. He is athletic and seems to be able to match in the air on the lead with his opponents. Probably has the ability to be more of an attacking player like Eric was at junior level because he has the ability to run off and get into dangerous positions. His ball use is good and he will be one I watch over the years to see how they come through. Howson might be a local tall they look at.

# 61 North Melb
Taylor Hine
Gold Coast Suns

# 62 Adelaide
Marco Paparone
East Fremantle
193cm / 84kg / ‘94
Another kid in the draft i probably rate a bit higher than others might. Seen a bit of him and he is just a really impressive key tall type who has elite endurance. He is a bit light, a bit gangly and its unclear how his body will develop but you would think he will build up a fair bit so with his endurance and his pace he could be a ripper. Gets around the ground like a gazelle superbly and seems to read the play really well as always seems involved. Has ok ball skills so there are no weaknesses with this guy and his Colts and National Champs form was excellent so he must be high on the radar as you can see the improvement left in him. I think he will become a 3rd tall fwd but look he could also play on the wing if a club choose to develop him that way.

# 63 GWS
Tim Sumner
Woodville
187cm / 83kg / ‘94
I have had him all over the place because I haven’t seen many kids as blessed with talent as this bloke. My problem is doesn’t show it anywhere nearly enough and its why he reminds me so much of Gerrick Weedon who I was also a big fan of and in fact went pretty high.....output hasn’t matched the selection though and its a good reference point for Tim and the clubs looking at him. Terrific height, who plays more an outside mid role but I suspect will end up more as a high HF type who is encouraged to play a similar game to Lewis Jetta. Certainly has the trick’s to carry it off. Is electric, his running patterns outside the contest are very good, his 1:1 marking is very good and his ball use is elite. I wouldn’t mind betting someone punts on him pretty high but equally I won’t be shocked if he lands in the rookie draft. One things is for sure......if you are the opposition dont let him get it to often.

# 64 Sydney
Josh Scott (Gippsland / 190 / 76 / 94)
Medium fwd for GP who had a good year and played some country rep footy. I have seen a fair bit of him and he was good to be fair through the year at times and whilst at times I have wondered if that in between height holds him back I think given the scope for improvement he still has then someone could get genuinely excited about him. He is a good mark and he uses his body well when attacking the footy which as an ex fwd excites me but he also has a go on the ground and for his height gets around ok. 3cm taller and people would have him up the top of their lists.

# 65 Sydney
Sean Gregory
Calder Cannons
195cm / 72kg / ‘94
Waifer thin key defender who has just gotten better and better as the year has rolled on. I have had him as high as 60 but also going as a rookie because you just wonder how clubs will look at his size. You cant help but think of Fletcher when you see him and he has really good agility and speed. Have seen him play on kids that are as tall but physically bigger and he has beaten them and also seen him run with some smalls.

# 66 Hawthorn
Dean Kent
Perth
180cm / 81kg / ‘94
WA midfielder who have only seen a little of but would have to be one of the better WA mids going around. What I have seen suggests he is little like Luke Parker at same age albeit probably spends not as much time in middle. Strong bodied HF / midfielder who excels at getting his hands on the ball at the stoppages, get away quickly from the contest and seems to put to good advantage. Also has the ability to get his hands on the ball often having averaged 20+ possessions at Colts level. Has a weapon insomuch has a raking left foot but he isn’t 180cm plus and I think that might hurt him a bit as well as the fact he didnt get a National DC invite which suggests to me the jury is still out on him but he fits the bill. Would they redraft Schneider or Osborne here?

# 67 GWS
Shannon Taylor
Claremont
178cm / 76kg / ’94
Immensely talented youngster who have followed pretty closely for last 3 years. Very highly regarded last year and was looked at and trialled by GWS but tapered a bit this year as he dealt with more important things. Where he lands will be in large part due to what shape he presents himself in physically and how his interviews and the messages he gives clubs. That aside, is lightning quick, can go fwd or into the middle, is sharp around the contest and spread. His ball use is elite but he can butcher it when he over plays the passage. Terrific player and a bit of the Michael Walters about him who I also rated pretty high in his draft year. Really hope he does well but I have to be honest the issues around this kid and his ability to commit may cause him not to go at all. Others they may look at would have to Coleman-Broome, Yarran or Hams.

# 68 Melbourne
Ben Ross
Werribee
179cm / 85kg / ‘88
Probably my favourite state league player in the pool this year. Won the B&F for the VFL league after having been on the North list for 4 years. I saw a lot of him as a junior and he was a superbly talented player whose body just wasnt ready for AFL. Went back to VFL and been very good. Can play inside (has improvement enormously) and out, has genuine foot speed, agility and has positional scope. He could be used as a run and carry player and I think he will walk straight into most AFL sides as a ready to go player or at least a player who for a top 4 side would still be in the top 28 or so on the list. The only knock will be do clubs think his body will take the step up in intensity. Alex Howson might be a tall they look at around here but given they have Hogan coming next year I think its more likely they will go mostly with mids as they are also reasonably well stocked for key defenders. Also had Will Hams here originally.

# 69 Carlton
Tom Temay
Sandringham
179cm / 74kg / ‘94

Not much talk about this kid but I am a real fan. I just think he looks pretty polished and rarely seems to make mistakes. HBF type who is very competitive and has a bit of dash about him. Nothing wrong with his ball distribution at all in fact always seems to use it really well. Probably just held back a bit because he may be seen as a bit one dimensional. I guess there are a few of his type so a bit of a lottery as to where he goes but he will go somewhere i would think. Some talk Kyle Reimers could be here and very understandable but I would back this kid in to be better over the journey.

# 70 Hawthorn
Jarrod Lienert
Sturt
191cm / 80kg / ‘94
Started out as a Medium fwd and went well enough but for some reason was sent to defence and performed well. Saw some vision of his U18 final and he absolutely dominated. Can play as that Alex Johnson type role and probably has a bit better run which allows him to be more offensive and agility which helps him play tall or short. Did play some champs and in the game I saw handled himself well. Hams and harley Walshe could be in the mix for them. Walshe would be a good tall defender late.

# 71 Melbourne
Michael Evans
Rookie Upgrade

# 72 Melbourne
Dan Nicholson
Rookie Upgrade

# 73 Essendon
Brad Hartman (Or Tom Fields)
Sturt
188cm / 75kg / ‘94
This kid is going to get talked about more and more as we draw closer. He is that 3rd tall fwd type but he has a couple of strings to his bow which give you confidence he would have some positional scope. He has been a consistent performer for Sturt off the back of some big hauls in front of goals and also being able to rack up some pretty serious possessions when playing higher. Tested incredibly well for pace and agility and my understanding is his endurance was good enough to give him midfield scope. Still a bit light but this kid has some serious talent. Tom Feilds has been down there so might be him but that would be boring.

# 74 Carlton
Anthony Tipungwuti
Gippsland Power
174cm / 72kg / ‘94
One of my real favourites in this draft. Tiwi boy who plays for GP but represents NT and has come on enormously over last 12 months. Fair to say he probably had some athletic indicators that didn’t excite recruiters enough last year but has turned that around over last 12 months and has been a terrific trainer. I watched him almost exclusively for a quarter to see his defensive run and what I saw was impressive. His ability to play fwd, back or even in the middle is a real standout but the kid is electric and the ball just seems to find him. He just seems to have so much time and his vision is unreal so along with his ball use he has some amazing scope for AFL clubs. I don’t have any doubt he has the skills to compete but I think he probably has some work to do on the body but given where he has come from and the commitment he has shown then I think clubs can feel confident.

# 75 St Kilda
Jack Frost
Williamstown
194cm / 94kg / ‘90
Great fit for the Saints who targeted Brown and missed him. This kid could walk in from Rd 1 next year. Tall, athletic and aggressive as you want your defenders to be. Had a great end to the VFL year and would be the highest rated mature age key defender going around maybe bar Tippett. Was super impressed with him and he took some big scalps late. As I said this could easily be Tippett.

# 76 North Melb
Majak Daw
Rookie Upgrade

# 77 Geelong
Matthew McDonough
WWT
180cm / 85kg / ‘94
Where this kid lands is what sort of scope clubs will think he has. Is he just your medium fwd type who is really clever around the goals and has some crumbing ability as well as some 1:1 ability or does he have the ability to also push into the middle like Johnson / ROK type. He lacks a yard but ROK isn’t quick either and he has the same strong body and nothing wrong with his ball winning. I was a bit in the former camp until I went back and watched some of his games again and I have come to conclusion he has some serious AFL smarts and is just a really good reader of the play. I just cant help but make a comparison to Hender though in terms of his draft prospects. Ultimately I think he has more positional scope though. Banfield, Ashby, Baldasso or Patrick Wilson are others around here that I think could fit the types they tend to go for.

# 78 Fremantle
Clancee Pearce
Roookie upgrade

# 79 West Coast
Brad Dick
Rookie upgrade

# 80 Collingwood
Nick Hayes
WWT
191cm / 82kg / ‘94
This year’s Andrew Mackie and strikes me as a Derek Hine special. Medium fwd who has flown under the radar for much of the year but comes from that famous production line at Sacred Heart. Saw some vision of him recently and this kid can play. May end up going a lot higher than this. Has speed, skills and is a very good mark of the ball. I could see the Ethan Gill going here as well. A few clubs are watching him closely but is still a baby. Have seen some vision of him recently though and he has Hine written all over him. Also was close to Matt Appleton here. I have seen a bit of this year and again rate him as a ball winner. Patrick Wilson would be another from SA who is impressive.

# 81 Adelaide
Shane Nelson
West Perth
180cm / 82kg / ‘93
Silly he wasnt taken last year (I had him circa #45 so I need to say that) and the reasons he wasnt aren’t all that clear apparently illness, lack of game speed, x factor etc. Given some of the muppets we have had on our rookie list its unclear to me why he missed in deference to those. Anyway has stuck it up the recruiters noses and gone back to WAFL seniors and averaged over 25 touches per game with plenty of them being contested. Then checked into Screen testing and slotted a 2.8 (20m), a whopping 7.8 (agility) and also showed healthy beep and repeat sprint #’s to back up last years good testing results. We also know that last year he landed in the elite camp for kicking......His ability to get around the park and play a little like a Gaff style of game is the best comparison. Has a motor, bit of speed, can win own pill, ball use is good and I just cant see why the kid wouldn’t be given a chance. He would also walk into their midfield rotation I would have thought.

# 82 Port Power
Max Duffy
East Fremantle
189cm / 85kg / '93
Maxy boy is an interesting cat…super talent who has had some issues which probably hurt him getting drafted last year. To his credit has taken all that in his stride and has been firmly planted in the Sharks seniors side for the year (kicked 33goals from 15 games had smome inj issues late) and has performed incredibly well. So much so he landed himself in the state squad (Dont recollect that he played though but to be fair they had some v good small - med fwds in that squad) but that was a pretty good achievement as dont remember many 19yo's playing in those games. He is a mercurial forward and comparisons to Nat Fyfe and Steve Johnson arent without foundation. I love watching this kid play as he has a penchant fro the incredible. Reads the game quicker than his opponents, sums up the opportunity and is a beaut user if it. Has no problems going in for his won footy. The knock I would have on him is he can overplay the game a bit at times but am sure a good AFL programme will sort him out. Testing results were awesome……kid is not only mercurial but he is quick and has a bit of endurance. On talent he would be in the top 30.

# 83 GWS
Andrew Phillips
Rookie upgrade

# 84 Western Bulldogs
Sean Lynch
South Fremantle
184cm / 76kg / ‘94
Another kid who i saw a bit of last year and thought was promising and was interested to see how he would come along this year. Saw him in a couple of the early games at Champs and was super impressed. His run and carry was terrific and he was able to accumulate some big numbers against a couple of the weaker sides. He didnt do as well against the better sides but he looks a player who is going to be a solid HB / BP type and reminds a bit of a player like Mic Osborne.

# 85 Port Adelaide
Tom Jonas
Rookie Upgrade

# 86 Brisbane
Jack Crisp
Rookie Upgrade

# 87 Richmond
Zac Williams
Inside midfielder from NSW who was outstanding at the championships. Without a word of a lie if this kid hadnt been going arond for them they would have been flogged senselessly. Very good at reading the drop and getting his hands to it and then giving off to advantage. He is a very agile player and tested well but he probably lacks a bit on the outside and whilst his kicking is good it isnt a standout feature. I think he would be a chance here but maybe its more likely a rookie but I wanted to get one of our NSW kids in given I think we are a bit bare this year. Flaherty and Redfern would be the other two pretty keen on.

# 88 Essendon
Alex Howson
Tall utility from Perth who I probably havent seen enough of so could have him about wrong in terms of where to place him. I dont think we saw the best of him at CHamps either so again a bit loathe to suggest anything to definitive. He is a player who has spent more time fwd at Colts and was outstanding with his output for them. Essendon have suggested they may hit a mature age player and I wouldnt mind betting a Martin, Osborne or Karahuku are somewhere around here..

# 89 Carlton
Zac Tuohey
Rookie Upgrade

# 90 St Kilda
Sam Dunell
Rookie Upgrade

# 91 North Melb
Sam Gibson
Rookie Upgrade

# 92 Geelong
Jesse Stringer
Rookie Upgrade

# 93 Fremantle
Lee Spurr
Rookie Upgrade

# 94 Collingwood
Marley Williams
Rookie Upgrade

# 95 Adelaide
Ian Callinan
Rookie upgrade

# 96 Sydney
Jackson Ramsay
East Perth
181cm / 71kg / ‘94
Havent seen very much of this kid but did see him couple of times at Champs and he stood out as a player across HB and wing. He got a truckload of the ball and was very good on the transition and used it pretty well. He is only a tiny fella but he has a go so would think clubs would rate him as a 2-3 year prospect. Had some injuries late in season so exposed form coming hasn’t helped him. Half expect them to recycle a senior player somewhere dont you! Another club who would think a Matt Bate appeals to.

# 97 GWS
Sam Frost
Rookie Upgrade

# 98 W.Bulldogs
Tom Campbell
Rookie Upgrade

# 99 Brisbane
Niall McKeever
Rookie Upgrade

# 100 Richmond
Liam Byrne - Bendigo / 184 / 81 / 94
Forgotten guy of TAC and drafting. Had a super start to the year with the Pioneers and whilst in the frame for VC had a season ending injury which kept him out. Very smooth HB type who in time will be able to go into the middle. Got good pace and his vision is outstanding which he backs up with terrific ball use. I think he will transition into the middle as he is able to win his own footy and led to believe he has the aerobic capacity to cope with a move there as well.

# 101 Essendon
Emmanuel Irra - South Adelaide / 184cm / 79kg / '94
If you had asked me 12 months ago I would have thought this kid was pushing top 20 but he just hasnt had the year you would have hoped for albeit spent a lot of time in seniors against bigger bodies. Unlike a couple of others though it isnt for any less focus etc on his footy its just as a medium fwd / wingmen learning the game after being relatively new to it its just been a year where he has had to consolidate and others have gone past. Undisputed talent and scope and will develop into an electric wing / HF type who backs it up with unbelievable ball use for a kid who hasnt been playing all that long. Youngest player ever to debut with South Adelaide seniors...he was 16! Ben Kearns was the other player I thought about here. Lots to like about him and big scope.

# 102 Carlton
Levi Casboult
Rookie Upgrade

# 103 North Melb
Aaron Mullett
Rookie Upgrade

# 104 Sydney
Patrick Wilson
Sturt
185cm / 74kg / ‘94
Balanced his time between school and Sturt footy. Quick defender who have seen a bit of vision of and he is an eye catcher. Lighting speed and is cat like in his movement. His ball use looks to be very good and he just seems to read the play well. He is a good height and whilst only light he could well turn into a pretty handy selection. I was impressed with this kid and I know his name is being talked up a bit. Harrison Marsh is one have been real impressed with all year and dont have him going so could easily be him. William Hams from GP is the sort of player they like so no surprise if he lands.

# 105 W. Bulldogs
Jason Johninsson
Rookie Upgrade

# 106 Essendon
Mark Baguley
Rookie Upgrade

# 107 Sydney
Harry Cunningham
Rookie Upgrade

Others who could go are the following;

(someone asked me the ones I really struggled with and they are Langdon, Hams, Kearns, McKenzie, Stewart, Gill and Martin)

Brayden Antonio - Not much chat about the small fwd from WA but let me tell you he is quick and clever and in a pool where there arent many of his type he could be a chance to go late.

Matt Appleton - One have been watching all year and has some elements to work on but he is very good around the clearances and he will appeal for clubs looking for an inside mid with a late pick. Not overly blessed with pace but he is a ball magnet.

Jacob Ballard - HB type who there are so many of this year and was the only reason he didnt get a spot. Had a wonderfully consistent year and he made the TAC team of the year I think from memory. Strong bullocking type who reminds a lot of Nick Maxwell or Max Rooke.

Steve Baldasso - Lightning quick mid from SA have seen a little of could be one that lands mid to late in the draft but for mine more likely a rookie. The body needs some time.

Brian Coleman-Broome – Morningside / 181cm / 79kg / ’94 - Come on now.....we have all been teased by the talent haven’t we! Prospect who I think will go a lot higher in this draft than many think because he has sublime skills and movement. Very efficient player who can make the oval ball do some exciting stuff. Downside is he hasn’t really set the world on fire yet.....just been little teasers. In saying that I saw the champ game where QLD played NT and kicked 3 and at times made some of their blokes look lost. In a draft which really tapers clubs will either punt on him or go for a state league player. Suspect he will land at a place where the club can afford to take their time with him

Jake Calvert – Stingrays / 192cm / 86kg / ’94 - Invited back as an overage player this year and didnt do that much early to warrant a spot on a senior list but really started to click into gear pre the champs and then got a late call up from memory. Came on for Membrey down at Geelong and made an immediate impression fwd with his attack on the ball and reading of the play. Also had some nice efforts the following week and reminds me a bit of Max Rooke or Glenn Archer as HF type. That will appeal to a club and he just might sneak a senior spot. Already has a body shape that could have him play a bit of NAB cup to see how he goes.

Mitch Clisby - Clisby name has been around the SA parts for a while and looks as if another rolling around. Have seen MC play a bit and he would be in the frame for a late spot given his last half the year but he still needs to put some mass on for AFL would have thought. Smooth HB player though.

Tullio DeMatties - Kid has talent but he is that awkward height for a fwd and I just rate a few ahead of him but its close. Do you go a guy like Duffy or him. I went Duffy but many wont or wouldnt. Loaded with talent, spped and skill just needs more consistency.

Chris Deluca - Love this little bloke. Lot like Mic Walters for Freo in how he goes about it but with arguably more commitment (when he starts). Very hard working and should certainly get a rookie spot as a tough small fwd.

Liam Flaherty - NSW kid who polarises. I like him but as a rookie and am still not sure his best spot. Sometimes he just looks to laconic for me but he is blessed with all the things recruiters look for and has positional scope. Will start as HF / Wing and try to use his pace as a weapon. Thnk Embley for mine.

Ethan Gill - have seen a little footage of this fella and he is a prospect for sure. Big tall kid who is very aggressive given he is still a baby. I wouldnt mind betting someone takes him in the National Draft late. Hear one Melb club super keen.

Harrison Gill – Glenelg / 186cm / 81kg / ‘93 - 19 yo who I caught a bit of through the year who looks to have a lot of the tools to become a handy midfielder. He tested incredibly well and his form was good enough to get some senior games which I saw and look he looked promising. He didnt dominate but is clearly pretty quick, has good movement as his testing suggested, is aggressive around the ball and his ball use was good. I think he is a late pick and maybe even a rookie. The knock on him is I dont see a standout feature but I liken him to Van Berlo and you would happily take that.

Sam Gillmore - I think he is the best ruck prospect outside of those taken in my ND. Lots to like.

Sam Heavyside – Bendigo / 177cm / 70kg / ‘94 - When fit this kid is in the top couple of players for Bendigo and he just tends to dominate the stoppages when fit. Appeals as a Sam Mitchell type player but he probably doesn’t have the kicking efficiency of Mitchell and its why I have probably dropped him back a bit. Also one that could easily land at a VFL side for a year or two

William Hams – Gippsland Power / 177cm / 70kg / ’94 - Bit unherald but a real favourite of mine. Terrific ball winner through the stoppages and has a raking left boot on him. His hands in close are good and doesn’t fear a contest. Only issue I have with him is sometimes its just a bit get it on the foot and roost it. He has the pace to work with to enable him to clear contests and his kicking ability when not under pressure is excellent so I think there is improvement in him and he could be a handy player. If you could clean up some areas like his decision making then thinking Daniel Rich would be appropriate.

Jack Johnstone - I am biased but should be on a senior list in 2 weeks. Terrific player and kid. Hard as a ruck and made to play footy in traffic. Would love to see him go. Not elite pace but great ball winner and good decision maker. Natural leader.

Oliver Johnson - West Adelaide / 181cm / 74kg / ’94 - Still not 100% sure where he will end up but he shows enough attributes to suggest there is plenty to work with. Good contested ball winner who moves very well and reads the play in a way that suggests the games comes to him a little bit. Accumulates big possessions at times and executes them very efficiently. Still only light but is also a very handy player 1:1 and there were some times during champs that his strength and contested work surprised me. I think he will ultimately settle as a defender who can maybe push up to the wing. Has a little bit of the Rob Murphy's about him for me if you were looking for a comparison but I don’t think his ball use is as good.

Khan Haretuku - FF for Frankston who is a maure ager. Can see him going to a club wanting back up fwd

Ben Kearns – Gippsland Power / 183cm / 73kg / ’94 - Sharrod Wellingham sort of player who is ideally suited to a wing or HF. Has the ability to have a huge influence on a game at important stages and some of his efforts in the TAC Final will have got attention. Real smooth moving midfielder who looks really classy, has good pace, clean hands, good user of the footy and an ability to push forward and kick goals. Lovely height and has a lot of scope but there appears to be some flaws that will I think may have him drop a little bit. The scope for where this kid goes is a pretty big. I think I could make a case for him to be 20-30 but I wouldn’t argue with someone who had him as a rookie. He also reminds me a lot of Rob Eddy as well.

Tom Langdon – Sandringham Dragons / 189cm / 82kg / ’94 - Medium defender midfield type who is a really nice size for AFL footy. I like him because he just looks natural and has a fair bit of polish. Uses the ball really well.

Kyle Martin – Frankston / 182cm / 83kg / ‘91 - Terrific story as was playing suburban footy at Noble Park. Coach Goosey gets him down and plucks another one from nowhere. Really good midfielder who can play inside and out and whose pace will attract clubs. Really good user of it and can push fwd like he did in the state match but i think he is better around the middle. Terrific depth player but in some sides will walk into the 22.

Tim McGenniss ( Dandenong / 180 / 76 / 94) -Like most Dandy kids that go well he is a very good ball winner who excels around the clearances. I have just off the back end of the draft bc I think history says some of these guys end up in the rookie draft or head to state league for a bit.

Breadon McLean – Waratahs / 179cm / 75kg / ’94 - have been following this kid for a while and he is a real classy type who has a penchant for the mercurial things. Plays HF and can drift into middle where he can get on the outside and play a little like a Lewis Jetta. Has amazing speed, agility and his kicking is very good. Was a bit disappointed as got injured at champs so we didnt see the best of him.

Jake McKenzie – terrific little player that just seems to be in their having a go at the contest all the time but i just cant see him landing in the National draft, I think he is more a rookie player.

Mason Middleton -

Ryan Morrison – Stingrays / 192cm / 90kg / ‘94 - I like this kid a lot and he just isn’t getting talked about at all. Very much your Alex Johnson type from a year or two ago and has terrific positional scope. Sometimes I wonder he looks a bit laconic but thats just a facade I suspect

Marlon Motlop - I honestly think this kid is the best state league player going around outside of Towers and maybe Osborne. My understanding is clubs arent convinced he wants anotehr crack bc he isnt sure himself. Think Leon Davis and you have a perfect image of the footballer he is at Swan Districts.

Harley Montgomery - Sturt / 177cm / 75kg / ’94 - Small defender who really impressed me at Champs and then back in the SANFL. Bit like Adam Carter in that doesn’t have a lot of standout attributes but just seems to do most things pretty well and plays within his range. Still only fairly light and will take time to develop but he has scope as he reads the play well, has a yard of pace, courageous, very accountable and distributes the ball well. Did his chances no harm with some good form late in the year with the seniors.

Ryan Morrison - Dandy HB type who mid year had around 50-60. Looks a good type and has some handy AFL attributes.

Lewis Pierce - Another ruck prospect with claims late in the draft or rookie. Cant split he and Gillmore as the best two that havent gone.

Aseri Rakiwasa - Should have gone last year IMO. Terrific third tall defender who is aggressive and incredibly agile. He can hurt offensively and has huge scope. Had a ripping year in SANFL.

Nick Rippon - Ball magnet who I left out as thought he was sub 175cm but noticed the other day he has grown. Genuine claims as hard nut inside mid who can accumulate a lot of ball. Had a very good year and would be one that would be in a bracket with guys like Kent etc for a spot towards back half of the draft

JOsh Saunders - Falcons boy have only seen a little of but am told is every chance of landing on a list. Seen limited vision and I quite the kid he has a few attributes that will appeal. Decent pace, moves well and kicks nicely. Just havent seen enough of time to confident.

Nathan Stark – Glenelg / 177cm / 70kg / ‘94
I dont think he is quite as highly rated by others but I like him. At times in the championships I thought he was as impressive as many of the other kids out their and I draw strong links between he and say a Nathan Wright. Both probably more HB types but have the ball winning, pace and agility to be used in the midfield. Clubs will be drawn to him because he looks very coachable and he has some attributes that they value highly. Needs to add some bulk but he could be a handy selection this late.

James Stewart - Loads of scope does Jimmy but the performances werent there this year and hard to see him going off the back of them. In saying that grew a lot and had to learn to play a KPF as opposed to the wing. I think he will make the adjustment and there are similarities to Ben Reid in that regard. PLays like Reid did as a kid to except Reid did more.

Tom Tyquin – Another smooth sort of player who has impressed me at times but at others I have just not been 100% convinced he will land here. I think there is scope in him to improve but there isn’t a stand out attribute that puts him ahead of others. What he is a ball winner, tough and reasonable skills.

Sean Tighe - For mine is the best state league tall ruck / fwd type. Thrashed them in the WAFL this year and has shown will do anything to get a go. Was very close in his draft year to going to Collingwood.

Sam Underwood -

Matt Wallis - Norwood / 194cm / 90kg / ‘94 - Dont know where to rate him as just think the key backs in this draft are good but not outstanding and hence how clubs differentiate them will be interesting. Wallis is a very promising key defender who has good agility, good ability to make up ground against the tall forwards and at least get a fist in there. Not sure he is overly attacking on the transition and he reminds me a bit of Matt Scarlett type of player I think will be his go and not dissimilar when he was a draftee.

Harley Walshe – Western Jets / 197cm / 83kg / ‘94 - Key defender who played some very good footy towards the end of the season for the Jets. Boy can play and he will be one to watch as he tested well at state screening and is reportedly a very good kid. Tall, agile and has a super leap on him. He took some good scalps through the year and will appeal as a player who could ultimately play on tall agile type forwards.

Chris Yarran – Perth / 183cm / 80kg / ‘94
This kid had us salivating last year but in many ways has been a complete disappointment this year. He would have been a top 20 prospect in my mind at start of year and his early Colt form was good enough but he just seemed to lose his mojo through the year and at times was just woeful. Got going towards the back end of the year with a big haul of 8 goals to kick 30 for the year from 15 but take that away and see that he also only got more than 15 touches on one occasion and didnt lay a tackle in a third of his games you start to make it easier to make a case he wont go at all. To my mind he is either foxing or he just couldn’t care. Given the way he tested makes you wonder. Either way will be lucky to be on a senior list because if Max Duffy cant get drafted on last years form I dont know why this kid would.

Good read so far can't wait for the rest!

Would be very happy with O'Rourke, Stringer and Clurey, although Macrae is still the player I want badly.

Think Wines is a dead-set certainty to go to the Demons however.

Love your 1st round. Not to many surprises. unfortunately on draft day there is always a few that jump up or down. Really excited that we look to have a shot at Gartlett or Macrae at pick 11 - would be rapt with either.

Always a good read Snoop. :thumbsu:

Probably not too many surprises there. Like you said, the top 20 are looking pretty set. And then it's usually the same names in that 20-35 group, in a slightly different order each time. After that, you can just throw a blanket over everyone else and pick at random.

I like the selection of Nicholas Hayes, was wondering when someone would mention him. I have him down as a rookie pick, but there is enough there that I could see someone going earlier. I half expected you to have Michael McMahon going late in the piece, despite his injuries. ;)

Solid job with the draft ranges Snoop Dog. Liking the job and could be one of the more accurate come draft day.

Macrae outside of the top 10? Would have thought he was a certain top 10 choice. Would be interested to know in your personal rating where you rate him relative to the others in this draft?

Banfield so late is interesting. Don't be surprised to see him go 2nd round.

Shannon Taylor is more of a rookie selection. Shane Nelson I have a feeling also if selected is more of a rookie even though I agree he does deserve to go national with his performances on the board.

I had a feeling you'd throw Spencer White into one of those Pies selections. You love the guy. Certainly the potential is there so will be interesting to see whether he can develop at the next level.

Again really nice effort and good read!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid work, I like our picks especially the Herbert selection, however baugley will be upgraded with pick 75 (I think you skipped our 3rd rounder) other than that a solid effort to include rookie upgrades as well :thumbsu:

Edit: sorry snoop, we announced more list changes just after I posted this, in theory we now have 3 more live picks, so what I said re baugley is now moot. But definitely more to come on that front.

Nice work, Snoop. I'd love to end up with O'Rourke, Stringer and Clurey from our first 3 picks.

One small thing, it's Lachlan Hunter, not Liam Hunter :p

Who wouldn't you like to get with your first three picks Igloo?

Reckon the pre-season may be just a little exciting for the Dogs faithful.
Not many. If we got Membrey at 22, that would probably be the only one that I'd be disappointed with. Very excited for the draft.

Who wouldn't you like to get with your first three picks Igloo?

Reckon the pre-season may be just a little exciting for the Dogs faithful.
I'd hope if we go tall for pick 22 we look at a forward. Key backs, inside mids and rucks are the only positions we are set for.
I know we're interested in O'Brien, although a rebounding defender would be hard to pass on if quality is available.

Not many. If we got Membrey at 22, that would probably be the only one that I'd be disappointed with. Very excited for the draft.

Funny that as you really don't have an imposing mid-sized forward.
Thought Membrey could have well served a goal-kicking purpose for the Dogs.

Whichever way, The Dogs have a very exciting draft day coming up.

Great Work. Look Awesome. If Collingwood had that draft I would be pretty happy.

No love for J. Toy?? Bulldogs, Essendon??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back