Roast If You Don't Stand For Something...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if someone wearing a Nazi symbol on top of their Eagles jersey started spouting racist Nazi c**tspeak, the club should make a nothing statement saying they respect all opinions in interest of 'not being political'?
Obviously in that situation they would have to because it directly involves the club and their image.

I'll be ticking both boxes couldn't care less either way. There is bigger shit to worry about in this world than this crap !!

It's a voluntary survey, why you'd go to the effort of sending back an invalid form is anyone's guess.

I'll be ticking both boxes couldn't care less either way. There is bigger shit to worry about in this world than this crap !!
For you! Think outside your own little box and try to empathise with the people this does affect!

Probably has something to do with that photo with Julie Bishop and Colin Barnett last week

How does it effect your life?

It's believed that this would do wonders for the mental health of LGBT teens, reducing the disgustingly large numbers of suicides from that group. But please, tell me what change to your life it would make that is more important.

Because you asked me I will tell you. Because I believe being LGBT etc etc is morally wrong. How does a random murder on the news affect you? How about tax evasion? Doesn't affect you directly so why does it bother you? This will make you angry but to me it's all the same thing. It all morally wrong. I don't hate these people. I don't bully these people. I just dont support them and will voice what I believe is morally correct. I know plenty of gay people that actively fight against that weakness they have because they believe it's wrong too and they vote no. People with my beliefs get a lot of hate but that's just how it is

How does it effect your life?

It's believed that this would do wonders for the mental health of LGBT teens, reducing the disgustingly large numbers of suicides from that group. But please, tell me what change to your life it would make that is more important.
This. Thousands and thousands of LGBT teenagers are subjected to bullying and discrimination and the results of this can be absolutely awful. These same teenagers may find a bit of solace in watching their team play football and if this team comes out and supports them, it could cause so much positive change for them.

But nah let's compare it to global warming.

Scruffy looking bum, smelling of stale piss try's to walk in to a church but gets turned away by people standing at the front doors. Dejected and sad walks away and bumps into Jesus Christ. Says to JC "what's going on? I can't get into Church"
JC respondeds by saying "don't worry about it, they haven't let me in, in years"

That joke kinda sums up the situation for me. I'm all for the yes vote, but think some in the yes campaign have forgotten what they believe in and are fighting for.

I've heard people's reasons for voting no and I disagree, I've even debated the point, but I also accept people are different, so don't vilify them for thinking differently to me.

Should the WCE come out in support??? Meh don't care. I'm happy with the fact players like Shuey can make there own statements, which is probably more powerful than the club saying it anyway

I recently saw a young aboriginal girl wearing second hand clothes wondering by a gas station, waiting for the chance to get a drop of leftover petrol with a plastic Coke bottle.

The fact I saw this, and that it's still a problem today, makes me wonder why LGBT issues receive far more coverage then the disadvantage our indigenous population face on a much larger scale.

Last edited:
are people even surprised?

two thirds of our supporter are ****ing dinosaurs and a lot of those people would have conservative views.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because you asked me I will tell you. Because I believe being LGBT etc etc is morally wrong. How does a random murder on the news affect you? How about tax evasion? Doesn't affect you directly so why does it bother you? This will make you angry but to me it's all the same thing. It all morally wrong. I don't hate these people. I don't bully these people. I just dont support them and will voice what I believe is morally correct. I know plenty of gay people that actively fight against that weakness they have because they believe it's wrong too and they vote no. People with my beliefs get a lot of hate but that's just how it is

You're entitled to your beliefs, but, how do you know that you're right? You're making significant judgements on people for something they believe, and science believes, is natural and normal. If you are wrong, it's beliefs like yours that cause significant harm to LGBT people. Are you that certain in your beliefs to risk that?

So should the Eagles, AFL or any other organisation display a large "Liberal" or "Labor" sign over their own logo when the next federal election is held? If it's not appropriate then, it's not appropriate now.

My attitude during this whole plebiscite has been to keep my mouth shut, because no matter what side of the fence you sit on, the other will tear you down and tell you why you're wrong. If you're somebody who values traditional marriage, no matter the underlying reason, you're labelled a bigot. If you think SSM should be allowed, no matter the reason, you're told how it will ruin society and children's lives or whatever. Nobody wins.

Maybe the Eagles, like me, just want this shit-show to be over and don't want to provoke either side unnecessarily. The message of SSM is love and respect, yet the plebiscite is far from it.

People with your beliefs get a lot of hate for good reason. I actually don't know how educated people can hold that view in this day and age.

It's equivalent to saying that all left handed people are weak and morally wrong and should be actively fighting against their left-handedness. It's a roughly similar proportion of the population and they have just as much control over the way they are.

I recently saw a young aboriginal girl wearing second hand clothes wonderong by a gas station, waiting for the chance to get a drop of leftover petrol with a plastic Coke bottle.

The fact I saw this, and that it's still a problem today, makes me wonder why LGBT issues receive far more coverage then the disadvantage our indigenous population face on a much larger scale.

There are more LGBT celebrities/people in the public eye, which leads naturally to more discussion of the issues, and therefore political action. I do agree completely with your point though.

There is a clear difference between this and your standard political issue and I highly doubt you wouldn't be able to figure out what it is.
The point still stands, large majority of people involved in footy clubs are the Australian version of Jocks, i wouldn't be looking to them for guidance on any social issues, i get that they can set good examples for the community but they should just stick to what they do best.

holy shit, you just compared homosexuality with ****ing murder.

FYI whats all ways morally wrong isn't always illegal. You don't go to jail for being gay but you do go to jail for murder.

So should the Eagles, AFL or any other organisation display a large "Liberal" or "Labor" sign over their own logo when the next federal election is held? If it's not appropriate then, it's not appropriate now.

My attitude during this whole plebiscite has been to keep my mouth shut, because no matter what side of the fence you sit on, the other will tear you down and tell you why you're wrong. If you're somebody who values traditional marriage, no matter the underlying reason, you're labelled a bigot. If you think SSM should be allowed, no matter the reason, you're told how it will ruin society and children's lives or whatever. Nobody wins.

Maybe the Eagles, like me, just want this shit-show to be over and don't want to provoke either side unnecessarily. The message of SSM is love and respect, yet the plebiscite is far from it.
Do you think the abuse LGBT people suffer and the abuse no campaigners suffer is equal and/or has an equal effect on them emotionally and mentally?

The point still stands, large majority of people involved in footy clubs are the Australian version of Jocks, i wouldn't be looking to them for guidance on any social issues, i get that they can set good examples for the community but they should just stick to what they do best.
But they can set good examples for the community! You just said that!

If they have the ability to do good, surely they should do good, no?

The only valid (and I say valid with a very large pinch of salt) reason for voting no would be a religious or cultural or personal belief. If we respect and uphold those in other areas of society (e.g. sikh temples, mosques etc etc) then it should be respected on this issue. Inherent in a belief is a sense of that is what is right, therefore because most others think it is wrong, doesn't make it so for that person. They shouldn't be vilified for it for that in itself is bigotry. FWIW both sides have been bigoted. I voted the way I did because I did what I think was right not because of any external factors.

This discussion has got kinda muddled. Is it about support for LGBT or same sex marriage?
There is a difference.
Not being a smartarse.
I'm into live & let live. People will have different opinions, let's see what the result is.
Footy clubs should stay out of it.

FWIW both sides have been bigoted.

Agreed, but I think this is where people look at this argument wrong.

I don't view it through the prism of people voting yes v people voting no. I view it through the LGBT community v people voting no.

They are two very different groups, with two very different wishes, and the effect the result will have is exponentially more severe either way to one group than the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back