What shits ya!

Remove this Banner Ad

macbook pro (laptop)
Eh I'm less impressed now haha. I thought you were talking desktop and I haven't known anyone who has had one for years.

Though, games would I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Eh I'm less impressed now haha. I thought you were talking desktop and I haven't known anyone who has had one for years.

Though, games would I guess. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah gamers still like their fully customised gaming desktop computers with three huge screens and a whole room dedicated to it etc. I'm not that cashed up lol

This is the third laptop I've killed in the last dozen or so years. I do kind of abuse it though so I guess that's fair. But still. Not looking forward to getting a replacement... I've actually apparently killed the hardware before the software has gone out of date this time.

Yeah gamers still like their fully customised gaming desktop computers with three huge screens and a whole room dedicated to it etc. I'm not that cashed up lol

This is the third laptop I've killed in the last dozen or so years. I do kind of abuse it though so I guess that's fair. But still. Not looking forward to getting a replacement... I've actually apparently killed the hardware before the software has gone out of date this time.
I recently picked up a new macbook air directly from Apple and they were happy to sign me up to 24 months for payment. I just dumped all my files on the cloud and the changeover was easy. Your apple ID should make the changeover nice and easy for you, even your subscriptions and passwords should port across easily. The new finger ID is great.

I recently picked up a new macbook air directly from Apple and they were happy to sign me up to 24 months for payment. I just dumped all my files on the cloud and the changeover was easy. Your apple ID should make the changeover nice and easy for you, even your subscriptions and passwords should port across easily. The new finger ID is great.
Yeah, I love iCloud keychain haha. Who even remembers passwords these days? I'd have to actually look up my apple ID password, I dunno what it is :think:

It's not completely dead yet just making weird noises and the screen randomly turns off, sometimes becomes unresponsive, and the battery is telling me it needs to be replaced as well (still lasts for hours though? iuno). I should be able to offload everything, as long as I do it soon :p Just annoying though. Does yours have that touch bar thing instead of function keys?

Stupidly enough the old one is driving the media server atm and it's still going. It's bloody ancient, I think this one will die before that one does.

Yeah, I love iCloud keychain haha. Who even remembers passwords these days? I'd have to actually look up my apple ID password, I dunno what it is :think:

It's not completely dead yet just making weird noises and the screen randomly turns off, sometimes becomes unresponsive, and the battery is telling me it needs to be replaced as well (still lasts for hours though? iuno). I should be able to offload everything, as long as I do it soon :p Just annoying though. Does yours have that touch bar thing instead of function keys?

Stupidly enough the old one is driving the media server atm and it's still going. It's bloody ancient, I think this one will die before that one does.
Speaking of apple icloud accounts. I have an admin one for our business. The person who set it up did not write the password down and it was set up with her birthday. Anyway, a few admin people moved through the business, all who knew the password and then moved on and then I had to step into the chair at short notice and bang after an update I can't access anything... I spent half a day trawling old emails until I eventually found a birthday that allowed me to unlock and changed the apple ID password! It was hell! My whole business was inaccessible for a period.

Phones are the other one. I have a couple of iphones that are useless because the staff left without restoring the settings, leaving an iphone that can't be accessed...

Speaking of apple icloud accounts. I have an admin one for our business. The person who set it up did not write the password down and it was set up with her birthday. Anyway, a few admin people moved through the business, all who knew the password and then moved on and then I had to step into the chair at short notice and bang after an update I can't access anything... I spent half a day trawling old emails until I eventually found a birthday that allowed me to unlock and changed the apple ID password! It was hell! My whole business was inaccessible for a period.

Phones are the other one. I have a couple of iphones that are useless because the staff left without restoring the settings, leaving an iphone that can't be accessed...
Sounds painful. Surely they'd all be on the same company Apple account so you can 'find my iPhone' on all of them? Then you can set up a recovery email in case there's any issues.

My bro's girlfriend recently had her phone stolen, along with credit card and ID. She didn't have her apple ID password either so everything had to be cancelled and calls to the bank and phone provider and everything to get it all set back up. Was pretty painful.

And of course while the phone number was stuffed she couldn't recover the password for the apple ID so the other phone she was trying to use couldn't log in to anything or download any apps. Once we finally set it up we set my brothers' phone number as a recovery ID just in case (guess they better not break up lol).

Sounds painful. Surely they'd all be on the same company Apple account so you can 'find my iPhone' on all of them? Then you can set up a recovery email in case there's any issues.

My bro's girlfriend recently had her phone stolen, along with credit card and ID. She didn't have her apple ID password either so everything had to be cancelled and calls to the bank and phone provider and everything to get it all set back up. Was pretty painful.

And of course while the phone number was stuffed she couldn't recover the password for the apple ID so the other phone she was trying to use couldn't log in to anything or download any apps. Once we finally set it up we set my brothers' phone number as a recovery ID just in case (guess they better not break up lol).
The security settings are great as is the cloud but it is very important to hold the logins somewhere else as well as I have discovered. An iphone set up with a different account is rendered useless if you don't have the details, as is could be any other Macs that are holding information.

Also, I had to set up a new mobile phone in a hurry and all I had to do was put it next to an image that was being projected and the two devices linked instantly, porting across all of my information. It was brilliant!

People like jmoo wan who don't like Macs are weird.

The security settings are great as is the cloud but it is very important to hold the logins somewhere else as well as I have discovered. An iphone set up with a different account is rendered useless if you don't have the details, as is could be any other Macs that are holding information.

Also, I had to set up a new mobile phone in a hurry and all I had to do was put it next to an image that was being projected and the two devices linked instantly, porting across all of my information. It was brilliant!

People like jmoo wan who don't like Macs are weird.
Yes jmoo wan is weird, I agree

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hardware is exactly the same under the hood these days, it's just a matter of whether you're happy paying more to do less with a Mac. :think:

I can very comfortably recommend the new MS Surface Laptops. I have a v2, it's a very nice bit of kit, and the v3 looks to build neatly on that with a couple of positive tweaks.

The hardware is exactly the same under the hood these days, it's just a matter of whether you're happy paying more to do less with a Mac. :think:

I can very comfortably recommend the new MS Surface Laptops. I have a v2, it's a very nice bit of kit, and the v3 looks to build neatly on that with a couple of positive tweaks.
Pardon my naivety here but can you used apple based software?

One of my bugbears with the mac is having to run programs such as parallels so that I can run accounting software that is not compatible.

Not on a Windows machine, no - but there's not much that's Mac-only these days.
I love the cloud man. Love it. Although having to pay subscriptions for the ability to edit PDF’s using adobe etc gives me the shits and I still prefer Word over the over-complicated Indesign etc.

In truth though, I am a bit of a Luddite so I am interested in hearing a bit more about what people are running etc, especially in terms of business. Probably not the place in here though.

"The cloud" is just a general term for automated internet storage.

iCloud is Apple's implementation, and then there's Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. I'm use an Android phone and Chrome as a browser so Google Drive makes sense to link them all, but use OneDrive for work and it'd do the job at home if my ecosystem was more Microsofty. I particularly like the Google spreadsheet app that runs in a browser (or a phone app) and saves to the cloud - it's the same one Lore uses for the draft threads.

We have a computer thread somewhere here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back