VicPol.

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted the link in the post

In the figures you've looked at, a higher ranking indicates a poorer national income. You've noted that Turkey is 115th, but Australia sits at 180, whereas Malawi and Somalia take up two of the first three spots... In other words, Turkey is not behind the countries you mentioned; it is well ahead.

Another one for you Kappa
Projected to be the 5th largest economy in the world (ppp) by the year 2030

The internet is great. It's the place where halfwits like me can become an economist or an epidemiologist or a footyologist and similar shit. Look at us spouting economy stuff!

Love those projections, Otto. Keep up the good work.

The internet is great. It's the place where halfwits like me can become an economist or an epidemiologist or a footyologist and similar shit. Look at us spouting economy stuff!

Love those projections, Otto. Keep up the good work.
Yep I love charts and stats.

If only Turkey could develop it's Democracy and fast as it's Economy is developing.
Who knows maybe the next president will value things like democracy and press freedom a bit more than the current one. I won't hold my breath though. As a culture it doesn't seem as important to Turks as it does to many other people of the world. A strong leader and growing economy seems to be more important to them than a strong democracy.
Been here 10 years still can't get used to some of the differences in views to what I am used to growing up in Aus.

Yep I love charts and stats.

If only Turkey could develop it's Democracy and fast as it's Economy is developing.
Who knows maybe the next president will value things like democracy and press freedom a bit more than the current one. I won't hold my breath though. As a culture it doesn't seem as important to Turks as it does to many other people of the world. A strong leader and growing economy seems to be more important to them than a strong democracy.
Been here 10 years still can't get used to some of the differences in views to what I am used to growing up in Aus.

Turks might not like the comparison, but that indifference to authoritarianism has more than a passing resemblance to Russia's acceptance of 'strong' leadership. But then, Putin does get around bare-chested and riding horses, so who can really blame them. What's Turkey's excuse?

Turks might not like the comparison, but that indifference to authoritarianism has more than a passing resemblance to Russia's acceptance of 'strong' leadership. But then, Putin does get around bare-chested and riding horses, so who can really blame them. What's Turkey's excuse?
The Russia comparison is a really good one JB.
Putin may ride horses bare-chested and do martial arts but Erdogan slams the leader of Israel at Davos. Turks love that schitt.

Excellent work from Shane Patton.
And hopefully this will filter down to the ranks.
The past weekend a workmate, in a fully signed Ute, was driving from Mooroopna to Shepparton to go to our workplace and do some “work”. It was Good Friday and he was pulled up. Despite his excuse that he had to make something for a client to pickup on Tuesday, the cop told him no one was working aNd to go home.
Excellent. Despite not applying the rule “what harm to other would this do?” The cop did the right thing by telling him to go home. Not fine him on the spot. This is what we want/expect.
Having said that, I travelled to Shepp on Saturday, in my work vehicle just in case, and never saw a police car.
The Mrs and I went there again on Sunday, in the two seater MX5. What a blast.
Had I been pulled up, I had two “click and collect” emails from stores that would exempt me from any fine.

You know I was a cop Kappa. I worked with plenty of police who were just like this. Never used discretion. Just fined everyone.
You need to go live in some of those countries before you can make your racist assumptions about those countries.
I remember you once referred to Turkey as a third world country which goes to show how little you know about the world. You have these racist stereotypes in your mind about the world.
You're like those Americans that go on about America being "the greatest country in the world" even though none of them have been to or know squat about other countries.

I live in a country right now that has a democracy ranking which is quite low compared to the rest of the developed world. I don't doubt that ranking. I know Australia is a far more democratic country.
Interesting thing though Kappa. In my day to day life I am far freer here than in Aus.
I have far less restrictions in my daily life here than what I did in Aus.

As an aside, and without seeking to grind any axes, describing a country as "third world" is not at all racist. It embraces countries which are economically poor - low GDP, low standard of living, usually authoritarian, no safety nets etc. You know what I mean.

The more PC term is 'developing/emerging nations'. Is that also racist, do you think?

PS as a matter of interest, noting your comments about 'freedom' etc, how would you compare the rule of law/transparency/ due process/judicial independence in Turkey compared to Australia? And to provide my own comment, living in the States, but also having lived in/regularly visited Oz, I feel in many ways much freer here than in Australia.

As an aside, and without seeking to grind any axes, describing a country as "third world" is not at all racist. It embraces countries which are economically poor - low GDP, low standard of living, usually authoritarian, no safety nets etc. You know what I mean.

The more PC term is 'developing/emerging nations'. Is that also racist, do you think?

PS as a matter of interest, noting your comments about 'freedom' etc, how would you compare the rule of law/transparency/ due process/judicial independence in Turkey compared to Australia? And to provide my own comment, living in the States, but also having lived in/regularly visited Oz, I feel in many ways much freer here than in Australia.
Transparency - There is none.
Judicial independence - Been eroded away over the last 10 years. Basically the High Court is full of yes men.
Due process - Applies in non political cases. Political cases it does not exist. For example many journalists are in prison awaiting trial yet have not been told what they are being charged with.

My argument Delta was not that Turkey is comparable to Australia. I at no stage was trying to argue that Turkey has democratic standards anywhere near what Australia has. The point I was making is that it is not some underdeveloped third or second world country. It's very modern and relatively prosperous. The average Turk has a standard of living much like the average Aussie.
They own their house, they have a car, they buy nice clothes, they go out to bars and restaurants on the weekend, they have a good medical system, internet is fast and all fiber optic, public transport is modern etc etc. Nothing like how the western media portray it.

As a percentage of the population though the middle class here is probably smaller than in Aus, this is because as far as inequity of wealth distribution goes Turkey ranks amongst the worst in the world. So there are more poorer people as a percentage. Turkey does not have starving or homeless people though, this is more a cultural thing. Turks can accept people being poor but not homeless or hungry. (I'm sure there are some homeless people but it would be a very very low number)

My comments about freedom where about day to day life. This is why I specifically said "in my day to day life." I was not talking about political freedoms.
Turkey has similar laws to most developed countries, but they are not as insistent on enforcing them all. Discretion is used.
For example if the speed limit is 80, but there is very little traffic on the road I might do 90 or 100, and if there is a police car ahead of me I will just overtake it. I know I won't get pulled over. The police realise that in that situation 90 or 100 is a safe speed.
Anothere example. The sale of take away alcohol is forbidden after 10.pm, but I know I can go to my local store at 11 or midnight and still buy it. Yeah there is a law there but it's not enforced stringently.
These may sound like stupid examples but there are dozens of other examples like this. When you combine them all it just means in your day to day life your not worrying about small infractions of the law, because discretion is used, they are not rigorously applied like in Aus.

My comments about freedom where about day to day life. This is why I specifically said "in my day to day life." I was not talking about political freedoms.
Turkey has similar laws to most developed countries, but they are not as insistent on enforcing them all. Discretion is used.
For example if the speed limit is 80, but there is very little traffic on the road I might do 90 or 100, and if there is a police car ahead of me I will just overtake it. I know I won't get pulled over. The police realise that in that situation 90 or 100 is a safe speed.
Anothere example. The sale of take away alcohol is forbidden after 10.pm, but I know I can go to my local store at 11 or midnight and still buy it. Yeah there is a law there but it's not enforced stringently.
These may sound like stupid examples but there are dozens of other examples like this. When you combine them all it just means in your day to day life your not worrying about small infractions of the law, because discretion is used, they are not rigorously applied like in Aus.
You forget that these minor law infractions in Australia are actually a massive funding process for state Governments.
The fact that they are enforced is simply a way to balance the books. Turkey should take heed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black_White you'll be pleased to know common sensed prevailed recently.
A gathering of 20 or so family members at a very sudden passing of a loved one didn’t attract one fine.

Black_White you'll be pleased to know common sensed prevailed recently.
A gathering of 20 or so family members at a very sudden passing of a loved one didn’t attract one fine.
That’s fantastic news.
Much better than the two police who walked into a funeral, as the casket was being carried out, to do a head count.
I think s8nce the hierarchy issued the “use common sense” letter things have been much better.

How did this happen? Isn't there a 40kmh limit when emergency vehicle lights are flashing?
The truck drivers bloods are going to make interesting reading because surely there can be no other excuse.
Condolences to the families of those involved. No one deserves to lose their life at work.
And what the hell is the Porche driver thinking? Why take off?

A reminder that police really do risk their lives to keep our streets safe. Shame a minority of certain types of people still show them such little respect and ignore all the good work they do.

Bloody tragic and very sad, feel for the families and work colleagues.

If true, this is so sick!

The driver of the Porsche is believed to have posted photographs to social media of the scene before he fled on foot, Ashton said. He urged the public not to share the photographs.

Porche drivers name is Richard Pusey, been on ACA before and is a career crimainal. Guy is pond scum
Just this minute saw a video of him.
He's not a very nice fellow at all, (to say the least).
What is it they say about karma?

Bloody tragic and very sad, feel for the families and work colleagues.

If true, this is so sick!

The driver of the Porsche is believed to have posted photographs to social media of the scene before he fled on foot, Ashton said. He urged the public not to share the photographs.

It is true, also strong rumours this was no accident. Truck driver was pulled over and fined by police just before this incident.

Very sad news :(

Hard to believe what has transpired. I frequently drive on that part of the Eastern Freeway, and it's troubling to hear that the truck driver was driving 100km/h on the emergency lane.

They say the truck driver had a medical episode, but it's unclear whether this episode occurred before or after he hit the police officers.

It feels surreal that some of the officers worked at Boroondara Police Station, as I was only there about two months ago to have some documents signed and witnessed.

There's talk the truck driver had a medical episode while driving.
I understand the medical episode was after the incident. Which if you look at the Porsche underneath the drivers side of the truck, you can understand the medical episode. He would have had a clear view. Hopefully there was a medical issue that caused this. Even so, if and when this guy recovers, he will be living with these facts for the rest of his life. I’d be broken. Who wouldn’t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back