Kids who play junior footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi All. Looking for some advise. I was born overseas and never played footy myself. My son just turned 8, did a couple of years of Auskick and wants to join a club now (finally after lockdown). He is very much into all types of sports and has pretty good skills (great left foot kicking and good marking, handballs not so much yet), but like me he is on the short side with a skinny build and will most likely not top 175cm as an adult. I assume under 9s is not that physical yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with footy for a while, he is pretty determined (according to him he will either be a footy or soccer star, currently his only career choices). Not sure how he will cope with the bigger bodies though when the physicality increases, he might be in for a surprise. Anyone with shorter kids who can share some of their experience? I grew up with soccer, where our build is much less of an issue. Also any tips welcome about how I can support him with his dream (which of course might change any minute, he already warming up to the idea of becoming a pro gamer). I like the idea of Little Athletics, signed him up for a trial session already!

Where do you live? Google search for the junior football league and clubs in your area and do a bit of research on the clubs’ sizes and history then make a phone call to the club. Also ask around your son’s school as it’s an easier transition to a club his mates play for. Auskick clinics are also aligned with a junior club so you could speak to those who ran yours.

As for advice, get him to write a letter to Boomer (via North) asking for his advice for a short kid with ambition in Aussie Rules. There’d be nobody better to learn from than him.

Good luck!

Hi All. Looking for some advise. I was born overseas and never played footy myself. My son just turned 8, did a couple of years of Auskick and wants to join a club now (finally after lockdown). He is very much into all types of sports and has pretty good skills (great left foot kicking and good marking, handballs not so much yet), but like me he is on the short side with a skinny build and will most likely not top 175cm as an adult. I assume under 9s is not that physical yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with footy for a while, he is pretty determined (according to him he will either be a footy or soccer star, currently his only career choices). Not sure how he will cope with the bigger bodies though when the physicality increases, he might be in for a surprise. Anyone with shorter kids who can share some of their experience? I grew up with soccer, where our build is much less of an issue. Also any tips welcome about how I can support him with his dream (which of course might change any minute, he already warming up to the idea of becoming a pro gamer). I like the idea of Little Athletics, signed him up for a trial session already!
Hey J4K,

What TT said in regards to research the local clubs and also look at who most of the kids from school play for.

We're QLD but assuming it's the same.
U8 - 3 zones and no tackle. Great way for kids to learn to play and focus on skills and game-play without worrying about being tackled.
U9 - 3 zones slightly bigger field and bear hug tackles.
U10 - 3 zones slightly bigger field again and some tackles to bring kids to ground but not too physical.
U11 they finally score but no ladders or finals. Also loses the zones and tackles slightly harder.
U12 basically full tackle, ladders and finals etc.

My youngest son was 8 for the entire season and played U9 - Some of this footage might give you an idea of the size of the kids, the skills required and whether yours would enjoy it. (Also assuming in Vic that the kids will be more skillful etc. I'm trying to explain to my boys that they might win best and fairests here but in Vic there'd be 5 boys at least better than them in every team.)

8yo about 148cm 42kgs and 10yo 158cm 40kgs so not huge. Skills, footy smarts and footy courage will trump a huge kid without these qualities every time.

FWIW my eldest was 10 for this season and played U11s. The runner up Best and fairest by 1 vote was our shortest/skinniest player. He was also one of the hardest hitters/tackles and inside players.

Look forward to hearing how he goes in 2021

Last edited:
Where do you live? Google search for the junior football league and clubs in your area and do a bit of research on the clubs’ sizes and history then make a phone call to the club. Also ask around your son’s school as it’s an easier transition to a club his mates play for. Auskick clinics are also aligned with a junior club so you could speak to those who ran yours.

As for advice, get him to write a letter to Boomer (via North) asking for his advice for a short kid with ambition in Aussie Rules. There’d be nobody better to learn from than him.

Good luck!
That is great advise, I'll get him onto writing a letter, I might post the reply if we get one. We live in Brunswick, so Brunswick Dragons is the local team (he did his Auskick at Gillon Oval as well). Just looked into the club history, had no idea Brunswick football Club played in the VFA from 1897-1991! The Junior Club did not start before 2010 but seems to be growing quite fast, not sure if that is a good or a bad thing... I'll reach out and see how we go. Thanks!

Hey J4K,

What TT said in regards to research the local clubs and also look at who most of the kids from school play for.

We're QLD but assuming it's the same.
U8 - 3 zones and no tackle. Great way for kids to learn to play and focus on skills and game-play without worrying about being tackled.
U9 - 3 zones slightly bigger field and bear hug tackles.
U10 - 3 zones slightly bigger field again and some tackles to bring kids to ground but not too physical.
U11 they finally score but no ladders or finals. Also loses the zones and tackles slightly harder.
U12 basically full tackle, ladders and finals etc.

My youngest son was 8 for the entire season and played U9 - Some of this footage might give you an idea of the size of the kids, the skills required and whether yours would enjoy it. (Also assuming in Vic that the kids will be more skillful etc. I'm trying to explain to my boys that they might win best and fairests here but in Vic there'd be 5 boys at least better than them in every team.)

8yo about 148cm 42kgs and 10yo 158cm 40kgs so not huge. Skills, footy smarts and footy courage will trump a huge kid without these qualities every time.

FWIW my eldest was 10 for this season and played U11s. The runner up Best and fairest by 1 vote was our shortest/skinniest player. He was also one of the hardest hitters/tackles and inside players.

Look forward to hearing how he goes in 2021

Thanks for sharing the video. I reckon skill wise he will be ok, but he is way shorter than your kids, about 125cm/25kg at the moment! So might indeed end up a Boomer / Caleb Daniel size as an adult, but who knows, could have a growth spurt.

"The runner up Best and fairest by 1 vote was our shortest/skinniest player. He was also one of the hardest hitters/tackles and inside players."

That gives me a little hope :)

Thanks for sharing the video. I reckon skill wise he will be ok, but he is way shorter than your kids, about 125cm/25kg at the moment! So might indeed end up a Boomer / Caleb Daniel size as an adult, but who knows, could have a growth spurt.

"The runner up Best and fairest by 1 vote was our shortest/skinniest player. He was also one of the hardest hitters/tackles and inside players."

That gives me a little hope :)
Is he in grade 3? The footage is of grade 4's (most of them anyway, mine played up because the club thought he could do with the increased physical nature) and there are plenty of kids in the 25k range. If he can use both feet and has some pace he'll have a great time in junior footy.

Is he in grade 3? The footage is of grade 4's (most of them anyway, mine played up because the club thought he could do with the increased physical nature) and there are plenty of kids in the 25k range. If he can use both feet and has some pace he'll have a great time in junior footy.
Still Grade 2, turned 8 this month. That is good to hear!

Still Grade 2, turned 8 this month. That is good to hear!

Toes Jnr's in Grade 2 also J4K. Brunswick (where my dad played for a time back in the day) has launched some North champions' careers. It's also where North Old Boys play (originally aligned with St Joseph's North Melb).

Make sure J4K Jnr practices everything left and right (hands and feet) and that he learns to go for the ball rather than just call for it and he'll be fine.

4 hours in the hot sun resulting in a comfortable win. 30 overs each. My youngest took 2 wickets in his last over so will go into next next Saturday on a hat trick. Bring back community footy please.

1605939885991.png
1605940009419.png

Good luck!
in some towns there are loose alignments to certain clubs from certain schools.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, is cricket up and about in other states (Non-QLD)?
Mine have had 2 rounds and AFL pre-season started.

Junior cricket’s had an uninterrupted season in Vic and footy preseason has already begun for some juniors, with the rest coming back between now and early March (younguns later than the older kids). All good here. Not sure about senior cricket and footy but I doubt there will be an issue for footy’s restart.

Last edited:
Junior cricket’s had an uninterrupted season in Vic and footy preseason has already begun for some juniors, with the rest coming back between now and early March (younguns later than the older kids). All good here. Not sure about senior cricket and footy but ai doubt there will be an issue for footy’s restart.
That's fantastic to hear, for our family losing community sport hits us the hardest if/when any COVID restrictions hit. Being a teacher unlikely to lose income and understand THAT would hit harder.

This morning I reminded myself and my sons how lucky they were to have community sport.

We won with an over to spare. Son #11 took 1 wicket and his younger brother #9 took 2.

We only needed 5 an over but were no where near it and Son #11 came in last and hit 37* off 17 balls incl 4 FOURS and his first SIX.

Anyone else get any community sport?

Just wanted to give a quick update on J4K junior. He is doing really well in his first year playing U9, loves a bounce (or 5) and even got "tagged" in the last game (a kid followed him for about 5min but he does like to keep mentioning it). He is usually the shortest player on the ground but that doesn't stop him attacking the footy. Like all the kids, he can't wait for lockdown to finish to get back out there.

Just wanted to give a quick update on J4K junior. He is doing really well in his first year playing U9, loves a bounce (or 5) and even got "tagged" in the last game (a kid followed him for about 5min but he does like to keep mentioning it). He is usually the shortest player on the ground but that doesn't stop him attacking the footy. Like all the kids, he can't wait for lockdown to finish to get back out there.
That's so awesome J4K!!! At our state trials some of the best in the team were the small zippy ones. In fact 2 made the State team who are smaller than my 9yo but really shone on the big stage.

My 11yo had a blast, really enjoyed and appreciated the experience. Was relegated to HBF for most of it which was a great learning curve. Being the big fish in a little pond at club land he's always played midfield but soon found himself to be a minnow among sharks up in Cairns. Against some regional teams he played forward and managed to kick 2 goals which he loved. He also made a few new friends and who knows maybe in 7 years he can say he played with/against someone who gets drafted.

1623716678226.png
1623716702478.png
1623716788911.jpeg
1623716787793.png

That's so awesome J4K!!! At our state trials some of the best in the team were the small zippy ones. In fact 2 made the State team who are smaller than my 9yo but really shone on the big stage.

My 11yo had a blast, really enjoyed and appreciated the experience. Was relegated to HBF for most of it which was a great learning curve. Being the big fish in a little pond at club land he's always played midfield but soon found himself to be a minnow among sharks up in Cairns. Against some regional teams he played forward and managed to kick 2 goals which he loved. He also made a few new friends and who knows maybe in 7 years he can say he played with/against someone who gets drafted.

View attachment 1155623
View attachment 1155624
View attachment 1155628
View attachment 1155629

This is great, seems like an amazing experience for your boy! Wouldn't even know how this works in Victoria, but I guess I have a couple more years to find out :) If he is still keen and good enough of course, I imagine competition to even make into into trials is pretty crazy down here....

This is great, seems like an amazing experience for your boy! Wouldn't even know how this works in Victoria, but I guess I have a couple more years to find out :) If he is still keen and good enough of course, I imagine competition to even make into into trials is pretty crazy down here....
It'd be the same as up here but as you say, way more competitive. Starts with the 10-12 boys team. So the year the boy turns 10, 11 or 12. Up here you need to make the district team (about 13 schools) then you make the region (about 6 regions) then it's state trials which is the pretty tough, especially Vic.

Amazing experience to go from clubland to games where the ball rarely hits the deck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back