Preview Sydney Swans vs Port Adelaide Power, Rd 15, Saturday June 26 @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. I've had a couple of days to throw my tantrum and step away from the game to cool off.

The Hawks game was a crapfest, and it's easy to go into an away game against Port with trepidation. But hell, I think we could all use a shot of positivity. So here goes.

Ten reasons we can/will beat Power in two weeks...

1. Let's face it. We had a loss coming.

The games against the Blues and Saints were just a dress rehearsal for the tragedy that was the Hawks games. And if you leverage them, losses are the best learning tools you have.

So look out Port. You'll meet a team that has reset, refocussed and ready for the challenge.

2. Our record against Top 8 teams is very good.

We beat the Cats and flogged Brisbane and Richmond. In fact, our only top 8 loss was to ladder leading Melbourne at the MCG. And even then it was a nail biter!

We won't fear a 5th place Port team who just got a touch up at home from Geelong.

3. We'll be boosted by some big ins.

The Swans really missed some spark out of the centre against Hawthorn. Chad Warner will be ready and rejuvenated - just what we need for a trip to Adelaide Oval.

Errol Gulden should be back in contention. Will Hayward could not have picked a better game to get concussed in - he'll rest out the bye and be good to go. And it wouldn't surprise me if an early return surprise was on the cards for Sam Reid or Braedan Campbell.

Either way, our stocks will be boosted in coming games.

4. We play to our opposition's level.

This is kind of good news and bad. It's bad that we save our crappiest performances for teams like Hawthorn and the Suns, But it was only 2 months ago that we played our best footy in years against the premiers. Port may be licking their lips after seeing our Hawks match, but they'll be playing a different team in Adelaide.

5. We needed a rest.

Listless. Lethargic. Disinterested. The boys were clearly focussed on the bye in our previous game. They were exhausted after two consecutive 6 day breaks. Thanks a bunch AFL House!

A week's break is just what the doctor ordered, especially for players carrying niggles like Hickey, Heeney and probably Bud.

The Hawks showed what a well rested team can do. We'll be a different outfit after the bye.

6. We like Adelaide Oval (don't we?)

We've won our last three against the Crows in Adelaide. And while our record against Port is admittedly ordinary, it's far from a fortress for the home team. (see point 7) And it's definitely a venue that suits the expansive game we've played at times this year.

If we go back to the strategies of the early rounds, we could really have a day out.

7. Port aren't the powerhouse some expected them to be.

Many punters had Port among the premiership contenders at the start of the season. However, recently they've proven quite fallible.

In the past five rounds alone, Port lost home games to Geelong and the Bulldogs. And when they came up against an awful Collingwood outfit at the MCG, they were fortunate to get home by a solitary point.

Not what you'd call a stellar record.

8. We're flying under the radar

While it's never nice to lose, it does have one benefit - it reminds the competition of the long-held (and incorrect) view that the swans are no good.

Remember the experts who said we'd finish bottom four this year? Not many of them picked us to be 8-5 at the bye.

Many big name teams have taken us for granted in 2021. And many have paid the price. This games is perfectly set up for an upset.

9. "All we need is change to improve."

My favorite song lyric from a guy named Stephen Malkmus.

FMD our coaching staff can be stupid. The Hawks played 2 rucks and a tall forward line and we relied on a bunch of medium talls in defense. Everyone on Bigfooty knew it. Horse didn't.

Time to swallow his pride and make the change. Horse must know that Brand will make a big difference to the team. The coaches will make this one change against a large and imposing Port forward line.

10. Every time I've written us off we've won.

Given the choice I'd have thrown big money on Brisbane in the opening round. I'd have dropped my mortgage on the Tigers. I'd have blown my dough against Geelong too.

If the Swans have taught us anything this year it's that the experts know nothing.

That we should expect the unexpected.

And that being the hot favorite buts a big red and white target on your chest.

Over to you red birds.

Swans by 21.
Great post mate. Inspiring to see such exuberant positivity.

So tell me - I've been away. Do I have to wade through 10 pages of unrelentingly negative responses to it?

AFL players chances of having/getting Covid are absolutely miniscule.

It's about optics as much as it is about anything. Especially given the cluster is in the Eastern Suburbs where a lot of these guys would live.

Their INXS bullshit is one of the most embarrassing things I have ever seen in sport, up there with the "face-offs" the UFC fighters have before their fights and English soccer fans' existence.

If you have to manufacture hype like that before your game then you are a hollow club that is gettable. **** them and their ugly, made-for-blooper-reels fans. Let's flog em Sydney.

not to mention that it's inxs ... one of the most over-rated bands in australian music history ...

My guess, educated or not, is this years game plan has a high aerobic cost, and we have fallen in a heap. I dont remember the year precisely, but the year we went to Adelaide Crows home ground who were a form team and we destroyed them, only to fall in a heap at the end of the year. This year is reminding me a lot of that year.

2013. One of the best games I've seen us play. The amount of pressure we applied was phenomenal.

ha, don't get me started ... and probly not the right thread for it anyway ...

Yes don't let bedford hear you discussing your music taste on a non-related thread. I still remember when he gave me an earful for mentioning the Stones in a preview thread... haven't recovered tbh

30DF4D66-D6D0-49BC-8B69-E46A369E88DC.jpeg

2013. One of the best games I've seen us play. The amount of pressure we applied was phenomenal.
Yeah I remember that game well too, one of my favourite regular season games. I was at the SCG too to watch the Swans pummel the Tigers the year before they started dominating, was such a party atmosphere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes don't let bedford hear you discussing your music taste on a non-related thread. I still remember when he gave me an earful for mentioning the Stones in a preview thread... haven't recovered tbh

View attachment 1160866

yeah, i can imagine ... he just doesn't understand the kids and their crazy new music, like the stones

i was working in a car dealership in sydney a few years ago and sam reid came in one day and bought a brand new nissan cube with all the features. everything was fine till like a week later and he rocks up at the dealership in a taxi and is complaining about his car. said he took it to a game at the SCG during the day and after the night game tried to drive back home and nothing would happen. he said the car drove perfectly fine in day mode but did nothing in night mode. took a while to figure out what he was on about but turns out he thought D (drive) on the shifter was for day driving and N (neutral) was for night mode.

i was working in a car dealership in sydney a few years ago and sam reid came in one day and bought a brand new nissan cube with all the features. everything was fine till like a week later and he rocks up at the dealership in a taxi and is complaining about his car. said he took it to a game at the SCG during the day and after the night game tried to drive back home and nothing would happen. he said the car drove perfectly fine in day mode but did nothing in night mode. took a while to figure out what he was on about but turns out he thought D (drive) on the shifter was for day driving and N (neutral) was for night mode.
I did all my lessons during the day, I bought my car and almost always drove in the day until one time I had to turn the headlights on. It went straight to high beams! I drove around in my parking lights that night because I didn't know how to turn my high beams off. Told my parents my car was broken, they had a look at it and just turned my high beams off.........

Yes, very bizarre to have a go at the club with maybe the best fan engagement in the league when it comes to passion and noise when our best offering seems to be "Sydney *clap* *clap* *clap* Sydney *clap* *clap* *clap*".
How about every time we win, we play this clip on the big screen?

From the Horse's mouth:

- Gulden a chance this week (though possibly through the VFL
- Campbell nope, but started running and looked really good
- Warner nope, a week or two away
- Reid nope, but expected to join training again this week
- Melican nope

From the Horse's mouth:

- Gulden a chance this week (though possibly through the VFL
- Campbell nope, but started running and looked really good
- Warner nope, a week or two away
- Reid nope, but expected to join training again this week
- Melican nope

Was Warner's injury worse than they expected? How has it turned into a 4 week injury?

Can't see us rushing either Campbell or Gulden anyway, a week in the reserves for Gulden makes sense especially as we are long odds to beat Port anyway. Give him a week.

Was Warner's injury worse than they expected? How has it turned into a 4 week injury?

Can't see us rushing either Campbell or Gulden anyway, a week in the reserves for Gulden makes sense especially as we are long odds to beat Port anyway. Give him a week.

No it was a stress-related injury (my new fandango term) in his lower leg. Horse said they don't wanna rush it, same with Campbell and Gulden, and why would they? They're kids

Booked flights to Adelaide and tickets for this one so hopefully am able to attend.. I tried to fly down to the Saints game which was moved due to Covid as well so hoping for better luck this week.

Last time we put in a stinker (v GC) we managed to beat Geelong. I reckon we are right in this and expect a good response.

Port games at AO vs decent sides are quite often cracking games of footy, so let’s hope this is similar.

No it was a stress-related injury (my new fandango term) in his lower leg. Horse said they don't wanna rush it, same with Campbell and Gulden, and why would they? They're kids

Fair enough just wish they'd be upfront and not say it's just a week or so, it's closer to a month!

Fair enough just wish they'd be upfront and not say it's just a week or so, it's closer to a month!

Well to be fair Horse was asked two weeks ago if Warner would be right to go after the bye and he said something along the lines of "we'll see". So he never told us anything. Same as the Rowbottom injury earlier in the year when they never actually gave us a deadline of when he'd return and we all just assumed it would happen each week. Not the club's fault us fans are presumptuous lunatics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back