Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Honestly I can understand his concerns, I have my own concerns with the removal of the state league as well and what a structure would look like with these sides rejoining local leagues. I can't see why we can't have the state league and the VFL side to be perfectly honest. If they could have it work in harmony with local footy then I cannot see an issue. I'd think we'd develop talent better having a strong competition for these players and junior players playing in to come into the VFL program, and then the AFL team if they're good enough to be drafted.

I'd hate to see a lot of very one sided games as well with these clubs entering back into these leagues.

It won’t work because the sooky SFL clubs won’t agree to a divisional structure.
Brighton aside the rest are terrified of having to play any of the TSL clubs in what would be a Div 1.
Promotion/relegation will keep games closer ie: Huonville would not be flogging New Norfolk right now and Tigers wouldn’t be flogging Glenorchy.

It won’t work because the sooky SFL clubs won’t agree to a divisional structure.
Brighton aside the rest are terrified of having to play any of the TSL clubs in what would be a Div 1.
Promotion/relegation will keep games closer ie: Huonville would not be flogging New Norfolk right now and Tigers wouldn’t be flogging Glenorchy.
No, Clarence would be flogging Huonville, etc.

No pro/rel just have a new comp with a the 5 TSL clubs and one from the SFL. Have a bigger salary cap and have that comp feeder into the VFL side.
So if a Div 1 team is getting belted every week, year after year and a Div 2 team is belting everyone every week year after year it’s all good?

So if a Div 1 team is getting belted every week, year after year and a Div 2 team is belting everyone every week year after year it’s all good?
In theory, the Div 1 clubs should be able to attract better players. So, after riding the initial bumps after said SFL side was promoted, they should be competitive. And Div 2 would be like any local comp, clubs have years they are belted and others years they are winning. It happen.

In theory, the Div 1 clubs should be able to attract better players. So, after riding the initial bumps after said SFL side was promoted, they should be competitive. And Div 2 would be like any local comp, clubs have years they are belted and others years they are winning. It happen.
Yer so why in VIC do they promote and relegate?
Stops teams buying flags in Div 2, as they know they’ll get promoted so you have to build the right way or those people u buy just leave.
Point system can be tailored in a way that stops Div one players leaving for Div two. As I said evens out the comps more. Cygnet has very strong junior program- most SFL sides don’t. Glenorchy don’t. Lauderdale done have a 16s this year.

Why have years being belted? Stop it straight away?

In theory Tsl should have attracted better players, but that didn’t work.

Why can’t Cygnet or Huonville compete against Div 1 teams? They have more juniors than a Glenorchy do. Cliffords x2, Zietzman, Reardon, Lane are players that are from Cygnet

Honestly I can understand his concerns, I have my own concerns with the removal of the state league as well and what a structure would look like with these sides rejoining local leagues. I can't see why we can't have the state league and the VFL side to be perfectly honest. If they could have it work in harmony with local footy then I cannot see an issue. I'd think we'd develop talent better having a strong competition for these players and junior players playing in to come into the VFL program, and then the AFL team if they're good enough to be drafted.

I'd hate to see a lot of very one sided games as well with these clubs entering back into these leagues.
Agreed. He does have a point. Many in the North are concerned that this could lead to a further exodus of top players interstate. There will be a limited number of spots available in the VFL side for non-AFL listed players. Therefore, the best players from the North and NW may be faced with the choice of relocating to Hobart, or more likely, relocating interstate for better opportunities. I’m more familiar with the North of the state so have thought about a potential re-structure and how it could be used to solve some of these issues. A key cog involves Tassie entering two clubs into the VFL.

AFL Club

Tasmania Devils
  • Colours - Green, Gold, Maroon
  • Home ground: Macquarie Point Stadium, UTAS Stadium, Dial Park (pre-season games)

VFL Clubs

Hobart Islanders
  • AFL-aligned
  • AFL team reserves, topped up with best players from clubs in new SFL premier division
  • Colours - Blue, Gold, Maroon
  • Home ground: Macquarie Point Stadium
Northern Tasmania Brewers
  • Standalone club
  • Joint venture run by North Launceston & Launceston with the support of the NWFL and NTFA
  • Major sponsor, Boags.
  • Colours - Black, Gold, Maroon (to represent NTFA and NWFL colours)
  • Home ground: UTAS Stadium, with some games at Dial Park

NTFA Premier Division

Deloraine
Launceston
Longford
North Launceston
Rocherlea
South Launceston

* if the best players from North and Launceston play for the ‘Brewers’ then it would help to make the premier division a much more even comp.

NTFA Division 1

Bracknell
Bridgenorth
George Town
Hillwood
Old Scotch
Scottsdale
St Pats

NTFA Division 2

Bridport
East Coast
Evandale
Lilydale
Meander Valley
OL’s
Perth
UTAS

There’s a case for a few of these clubs to be shuffled around into the division above or below, but you can get the gist of it. Could something like this work?

I can understand their feelings though, getting smashed every week isn't ideal for you and then the struggle to keep players if they're going against higher quality opponents they'll probably want to drop into a league more their style.

Yer so why in VIC do they promote and relegate?
Stops teams buying flags in Div 2, as they know they’ll get promoted so you have to build the right way or those people u buy just leave.
Point system can be tailored in a way that stops Div one players leaving for Div two. As I said evens out the comps more. Cygnet has very strong junior program- most SFL sides don’t. Glenorchy don’t. Lauderdale done have a 16s this year.

Why have years being belted? Stop it straight away?

In theory Tsl should have attracted better players, but that didn’t work.

Why can’t Cygnet or Huonville compete against Div 1 teams? They have more juniors than a Glenorchy do. Cliffords x2, Zietzman, Reardon, Lane are players that are from Cygnet
Cygnet were asked to be part of the previous incarnation of the premier league, this was around the time they were very strong and won the premierships they decided to stick with the regional league IIRC they decided it was better to be a big fish in a little pond, then a little fish in a big pond. I'd be interested to see their choice now with the club looking a lot stronger, minus their reserves.

I remember a couple of delisted players being chased by their original TSL club, but there was a lot of money on the table from interstate clubs so I would gather the money that TSL clubs could offer opposed to that of the leagues interstate was why it was hard to attract some players. Perhaps a higher salary cap, and different structure will help that out.

Agreed. He does have a point. Many in the North are concerned that this could lead to a further exodus of top players interstate. There will be a limited number of spots available in the VFL side for non-AFL listed players. Therefore, the best players from the North and NW may be faced with the choice of relocating to Hobart, or more likely, relocating interstate for better opportunities. I’m more familiar with the North of the state so have thought about a potential re-structure and how it could be used to solve some of these issues. A key cog involves Tassie entering two clubs into the VFL.

AFL Club

Tasmania Devils
  • Colours - Green, Gold, Maroon
  • Home ground: Macquarie Point Stadium, UTAS Stadium, Dial Park (pre-season games)

VFL Clubs

Hobart Islanders
  • AFL-aligned
  • AFL team reserves, topped up with best players from clubs in new SFL premier division
  • Colours - Blue, Gold, Maroon
  • Home ground: Macquarie Point Stadium
Northern Tasmania Brewers
  • Standalone club
  • Joint venture run by North Launceston & Launceston with the support of the NWFL and NTFA
  • Major sponsor, Boags.
  • Colours - Black, Gold, Maroon (to represent NTFA and NWFL colours)
  • Home ground: UTAS Stadium, with some games at Dial Park

NTFA Premier Division

Deloraine
Launceston
Longford
North Launceston
Rocherlea
South Launceston

* if the best players from North and Launceston play for the ‘Brewers’ then it would help to make the premier division a much more even comp.

NTFA Division 1

Bracknell
Bridgenorth
George Town
Hillwood
Old Scotch
Scottsdale
St Pats

NTFA Division 2

Bridport
East Coast
Evandale
Lilydale
Meander Valley
OL’s
Perth
UTAS

There’s a case for a few of these clubs to be shuffled around into the division above or below, but you can get the gist of it. Could something like this work?
Throw in Devonport and Burnie into the Premier Division and I think it should work out well, though knowing people someone's not going to be happy but if they worked out streaming of games, and local media gets in on the promotion then it should be fine.

I think the Tassie AFL side is meant to be playing some games at Blundstone for awhile too.

I can understand their feelings though, getting smashed every week isn't ideal for you and then the struggle to keep players if they're going against higher quality opponents they'll probably want to drop into a league more their style.
That’s why a point system that makes it very hard for players to just up and drop back is important. If it makes you a 6 point player then it’s harder to do that for the player and the club wanting to get you.

Every comp has people being thrashed. Tigers haven’t lost in TSL, Huonville haven’t lost in SFL. Glenorchy haven’t won, New Norfolk haven’t won. Why is it good for some teams and not others? I don’t believe Huonville would get thumped by Glenorchy or North Hobart or even Lauderdale for that matter.

I’m just very wary we will have the same situation as we do now. Players rejecting a premier league for a lower easier league where they can thump a Claremont and New Norfolk, get paid well to do it, don’t have to train hard or defend during games and then staying in the same division.
What does that do for lifting the standard of footy in the state?
A player should be able to start at Southern Storm and play all the way through and if Cygnet are good at the time be able to play Div 1 for his club.
Clarence are just as much a community club as SFL clubs are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s why a point system that makes it very hard for players to just up and drop back is important. If it makes you a 6 point player then it’s harder to do that for the player and the club wanting to get you.

Every comp has people being thrashed. Tigers haven’t lost in TSL, Huonville haven’t lost in SFL. Glenorchy haven’t won, New Norfolk haven’t won. Why is it good for some teams and not others? I don’t believe Huonville would get thumped by Glenorchy or North Hobart or even Lauderdale for that matter.

I’m just very wary we will have the same situation as we do now. Players rejecting a premier league for a lower easier league where they can thump a Claremont and New Norfolk, get paid well to do it, don’t have to train hard or defend during games and then staying in the same division.
What does that do for lifting the standard of footy in the state?
A player should be able to start at Southern Storm and play all the way through and if Cygnet are good at the time be able to play Div 1 for his club.
Clarence are just as much a community club as SFL clubs are.
It's not good at all, it would be good if it was all even and all teams had a chance of winning I suppose some teams would prefer the big fish in a small pond type then to jump into the larger pond. I'm also wondering about the professionalism of the teams as well, as some of the SFL teams are still vastly amateur run and operated as well. So they would have to really up their game, do they really want to be a more professional looking club, or remain as an amateur like club?

I'd like to see some of these teams test themselves on a bigger stage, I suppose the worry is, will the players want to do that, or as you've alluded to would they prefer to play in a lower competition and get some easy wins for some easy money. Or just the easy money to do bugger all.

Will they have the talent to overcome these players who want to remain amatuer players to fill the team to not end up the way Glenorchy and New Norfolk are where they have had to pull together a team at the last minute and get pumped every week?

Got a lot of questions that will be needed to be answered by AFL Tasmania.

It's not good at all, it would be good if it was all even and all teams had a chance of winning I suppose some teams would prefer the big fish in a small pond type then to jump into the larger pond. I'm also wondering about the professionalism of the teams as well, as some of the SFL teams are still vastly amateur run and operated as well. So they would have to really up their game, do they really want to be a more professional looking club, or remain as an amateur like club?

I'd like to see some of these teams test themselves on a bigger stage, I suppose the worry is, will the players want to do that, or as you've alluded to would they prefer to play in a lower competition and get some easy wins for some easy money. Or just the easy money to do bugger all.

Will they have the talent to overcome these players who want to remain amatuer players to fill the team to not end up the way Glenorchy and New Norfolk are where they have had to pull together a team at the last minute and get pumped every week?

Got a lot of questions that will be needed to be answered by AFL Tasmania.
Hence if you finish last you get relegated.
If you win Div 2 and heaps of your players don’t want to go up then you make them 6 points if they stay in Div and play with another club. No team can carry more then 2 of those players due to the points cap.

Interesting times, we just have to get it right.

Cygnet were asked to be part of the previous incarnation of the premier league, this was around the time they were very strong and won the premierships they decided to stick with the regional league IIRC they decided it was better to be a big fish in a little pond, then a little fish in a big pond. I'd be interested to see their choice now with the club looking a lot stronger, minus their reserves.

I remember a couple of delisted players being chased by their original TSL club, but there was a lot of money on the table from interstate clubs so I would gather the money that TSL clubs could offer opposed to that of the leagues interstate was why it was hard to attract some players. Perhaps a higher salary cap, and different structure will help that out.
No i think it was New Norfolk that got asked.
They said no as they wanted to win flags in the lower leagues, IIRC they won more than 60 games in a row or something crazy like that at SFL level.
I heard that that reason Kingston got invited to join was after beating NN in the grand final they were sounded out to replace Hobart who were struggling and AFL Tas were trying to merge them and North to create a vacant spot.

Cygnet were well past their best by the time TSL started up and a few years into TSL they got stomped by NN by 250 points in an SFL game at Cygnet, having access to juniors from two folded clubs - Kermandie and Channel - plus their own and a few of Kingston's has bolsted them in a big way, plus enormous amounts of cash has flown their eay from somewhere.

No i think it was New Norfolk that got asked.
They said no as they wanted to win flags in the lower leagues, IIRC they won more than 60 games in a row or something crazy like that at SFL level.
I heard that that reason Kingston got invited to join was after beating NN in the grand final they were sounded out to replace Hobart who were struggling and AFL Tas were trying to merge them and North to create a vacant spot.

Cygnet were well past their best by the time TSL started up and a few years into TSL they got stomped by NN by 250 points in an SFL game at Cygnet, having access to juniors from two folded clubs - Kermandie and Channel - plus their own and a few of Kingston's has bolsted them in a big way, plus enormous amounts of cash has flown their eay from somewhere.
This was for the premier league rather then the TSL, I don't believe they've ever been approached for the TSL, but they were approached to be part of the SFL Premier League in the past from what I remember and what has been said to me as well.

^ I was always surprised Lauderdale ever got in the Prem League as they were never a very successful team, same with them getting in the TSL, but they've been far better in the state comp than they ever were below that level.
I think I remember them wearing Pies jumpers in the late 70s and then Geelong ones for years.

^ I was always surprised Lauderdale ever got in the Prem League as they were never a very successful team, same with them getting in the TSL, but they've been far better in the state comp than they ever were below that level.
I think I remember them wearing Pies jumpers in the late 70s and then Geelong ones for years.
I remember them wearing the Geelong one, though I haven't followed them much nor the SFL much prior to the TSL teams joining, I did follow Lindisfarne when I lived in Lindisfarne in the 1990s. Also went to a few Claremont games at Abbotsfield Park, I recall one weekend seeing them beat the Huonville Lions. My dad was an avid follower of Claremont, even have a mug from the old days.

Since I have been doing the scores, and photography for the SFL I have been more involved and all. But would love to know more about the leagues past though since I'd barely really followed it when I was younger, and all.

Hence if you finish last you get relegated.
If you win Div 2 and heaps of your players don’t want to go up then you make them 6 points if they stay in Div and play with another club. No team can carry more then 2 of those players due to the points cap.
I like your thinking. In 2015 Parkside won the WRFL Div2 comp and were to be promoted to Div1, prompting a walkout of players who were used to winning and didn't fancy being the small fish in Div1. The club whinged and wailed and threatened to pull out of the comp unless they were allowed back into Div3 to "rebuild" - and when the WRFL caved in and relegated the reigning premiers, their gun players scuttled out from under rocks and re-signed at the prospect of getting another cheap flag.

Pathetic administration and downhill-skiing clubs are a disaster. Your points suggestion would put paid to another Parkside scenario.

I like your thinking. In 2015 Parkside won the WRFL Div2 comp and were to be promoted to Div1, prompting a walkout of players who were used to winning and didn't fancy being the small fish in Div1. The club whinged and wailed and threatened to pull out of the comp unless they were allowed back into Div3 to "rebuild" - and when the WRFL caved in and relegated the reigning premiers, their gun players scuttled out from under rocks and re-signed at the prospect of getting another cheap flag.

Pathetic administration and downhill-skiing clubs are a disaster. Your points suggestion would put paid to another Parkside scenario.
Yer it just takes leadership.

Made two Grand Finals in a row in the Regional League in 2002/03.
Got swept aside by Cygnet both years.
Same time Sorell went into recess for a season in 2003 in the Premier League owing to having no committee to run the club so that season the Premier League went ahead one club short.
I believe Lauderdale went to Geelong seeking assistance to obtain a set of Cats jumpers and Geelong virtually told them to get nicked, Kevin Sheedy heard about it and they had a big meeting about it and it ended up with Essendon and Lauderdale having some sort of alignment/partnership type thing and they were sponsored a set of jumpers and became the Lauderdale Bombers.
At the same time Sorell, with a whole new board in place (Steve Old, the fella from the Australian Hoteliers Association took over as president) had come out of recess to join the Regional League, Lauderdale were offered Sorell's spot in the Premier League as was Cygnet (who declined the offer), and that's how Lauderdale got into the Premier League.
For TSL, I remember Lauderdale got a State Government grant to have their ground extended and some other remedial work done around it but not much else seems to have been done there in several years since then.

Same time Sorell went into recess for a season in 2003 in the Premier League owing to having no committee to run the club so that season the Premier League went ahead one club short.
I believe Lauderdale went to Geelong seeking assistance to obtain a set of Cats jumpers and Geelong virtually told them to get nicked, Kevin Sheedy heard about it and they had a big meeting about it and it ended up with Essendon and Lauderdale having some sort of alignment/partnership type thing and they were sponsored a set of jumpers and became the Lauderdale Bombers.
At the same time Sorell, with a whole new board in place (Steve Old, the fella from the Australian Hoteliers Association took over as president) had come out of recess to join the Regional League, Lauderdale were offered Sorell's spot in the Premier League as was Cygnet (who declined the offer), and that's how Lauderdale got into the Premier League.
For TSL, I remember Lauderdale got a State Government grant to have their ground extended and some other remedial work done around it but not much else seems to have been done there in several years since then.
The ground will never be upgraded more than it already has. Its in a sea level rise prone area. Drainage is already terrible.

Thx for the explanation, quite strange how Sorell got a spot in the prem league with their shonky ground and lack of support but I guess they'd been around the finals a lot in those years to warrant it.
Trivia question for ya, when was the last time Hobart won a final wearing the Richmond jumper that they wear now? Was it the 90 grand final or was it in 92?
I knew they wore a yellow one last time they won a grand final.

Thx for the explanation, quite strange how Sorell got a spot in the prem league with their shonky ground and lack of support but I guess they'd been around the finals a lot in those years to warrant it.
Trivia question for ya, when was the last time Hobart won a final wearing the Richmond jumper that they wear now? Was it the 90 grand final or was it in 92?
I knew they wore a yellow one last time they won a grand final.
It was 99 I believe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back