General Sports thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose you don't know what real Hockey is either. :think: :D:D

R.3c5e6bda045416d661f08bbd123fb089
Mate that is a girl’s sport there—I know that much

;)

Not sure if you're serious? You are from America, and it's not played there, so you could be serious.

Netball is closer to Basketball, than Volleyball.
Nope, was deadly serious

Never heard of it and sure looks like they had a volleyball in hand

They might be considered girls in the USA from what we read.:D
Don’t believe everything you hear from the clown with full makeup on supporters

😜

Last edited:
Looks like a full house there. I must say Melbourne people come out to see any sporting event. Must be a few Crows supporters there.

Great win, definitely looked like there was a lot of pink in the crowd.

Also a few Crows players in the stands by the looks of things - great to see cross code support.

What the hell is netball?

Volleyball??
Basically basketball but traditionally only played by women, they lost the backboard somewhere along the line, never evolved dribbling, restricts players to certain zones and only certain players can shoot (and only close to the hoop). Kinda similar to how American football evolved away from Rugby.

Basketball in South Australia was actually called "international rules basketball" for a while to differentiate from netball, which hadn't changed its name away from basketball yet.

Basically basketball but traditionally only played by women, they lost the backboard somewhere along the line, never evolved dribbling, restricts players to certain zones and only certain players can shoot (and only close to the hoop). Kinda similar to how American football evolved away from Rugby.

Basketball in South Australia was actually called "international rules basketball" for a while to differentiate from netball, which hadn't changed its name away from basketball yet.
Thank you

Not sure if we have any F1 fans in here.

Unbelievable results in qualifying

Max finally has some competition. RB still the Boss Car but McLaren has come from nowhere to torch the field to finish 2nd and 3rd. Ferrari and Merc now have huge competition for points as Williams and McLaren have found a competitive edge. Will be a very interesting race to see if McLaren can transfer the results to when it matters.

Not sure if we have any F1 fans in here.

Unbelievable results in qualifying

Max finally has some competition. RB still the Boss Car but McLaren has come from nowhere to torch the field to finish 2nd and 3rd. Ferrari and Merc now have huge competition for points as Williams and McLaren have found a competitive edge. Will be a very interesting race to see if McLaren can transfer the results to when it matters.
Let's wait and see what happens in the race tonight, before we declare McLaren to be anything but pretenders. There's a massive difference between having a good qualifying car, and a good race car. All evidence so far this season is that McLarens are good for the occasional fast lap (i.e. qualifying), but are awful to drive on longer runs (i.e. race pace).

Fingers crossed their new car updates will have fixed many of the problems which have plagued their season so far, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's wait and see what happens in the race tonight, before we declare McLaren to be anything but pretenders. There's a massive difference between having a good qualifying car, and a good race car. All evidence so far this season is that McLarens are good for the occasional fast lap (i.e. qualifying), but are awful to drive on longer runs (i.e. race pace).

Fingers crossed their new car updates will have fixed many of the problems which have plagued their season so far, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation.

Absolutely. Will be interesting to see. But a consistently fast car makes it easier to compete at the front. The issue now is to be able to find the correct pit strategies to compete at the front. Can get away with a lot more in the back of the field. But I think its fantastic at least that we could see some more competition. May not be this race, may take them a few races to figure some tech and strategies out but hopefully they will end up pushing. AM has been getting slower and falling away each race and the Ferrari's are getting faster. Williams could begin pushing up also. While this year will already belong to RB, next year may not be predictable RB dominance a few thought.

Absolutely. Will be interesting to see. But a consistently fast car makes it easier to compete at the front. The issue now is to be able to find the correct pit strategies to compete at the front. Can get away with a lot more in the back of the field. But I think its fantastic at least that we could see some more competition. May not be this race, may take them a few races to figure some tech and strategies out but hopefully they will end up pushing. AM has been getting slower and falling away each race and the Ferrari's are getting faster. Williams could begin pushing up also. While this year will already belong to RB, next year may not be predictable RB dominance a few thought.
McLaren have historically been VERY hard on their tyres. Their tyres go "off" faster than other teams, which leaves several unpalatable options - going with a harder (slower) compound than the other teams, continuing to run on dead tyres, or doing an extra pit stop to change tyres.

Last night they got away with it, because the track was unusually cold - so the cars weren't putting as much heat into the tyres as usual.

Full credit to McLaren, for their results at Silverstone. They would have been 2nd & 3rd, but for the lousy timing of the safety car, which allowed Hamilton to get a "cheap" pit stop, effectively overtaking Piastri in the pits. It remains to be seen if this is a "real" or "sustainable" improvement, or if they will just revert to type at the next track. Fingers crossed the improvement is real.

As for the RB dominance... recent history suggests that they will remain dominant at least until the next set of engine/aero regulations come into effect, in 2026. Mercedes remained dominant while the previous regulations were in place, and all signs point to RB maintaining a similar dominance under the current regulations. Fingers crossed that things will become more competitive from 2026.

When are you guys going to have proper temp measurements. ;) That about 38C . We had about 43c a couple of years ago, Last summer was mild here generally.
Starting to sound like Mrs AC on measuring system complaints

😝

Remove this Banner Ad

Back