Senior 20. Elijah Hollands

Remove this Banner Ad

A second strike means the player gets named publicly - not sure if that is the case here or if the club is just getting ahead of it

I suspect just getting ahead as this would be in the public domain soon. I'm surprised it wasn't already tbh. Sounds like some media figures might have already known and been tight lipped.

If the AFL hadn't joined WADA, Essendon would have gotten away with doping their players. And most of the "big" sporting leagues are based in the US. That's why they have their own anti-doping system.
Not the thread for it - if I recall correctly there was $30m the afl got granted/access too & it looked good in the press as well

Joining WADA was a huge mistake IMO, was political bs & the AFL rolled & took the money instead of protecting the game/players.
There’s very good reasons why a number of the biggest sporting leagues aren’t signatories to it.

If the AFL hadn't joined WADA, Essendon would have gotten away with doping their players. And most of the "big" sporting leagues are based in the US. That's why they have their own anti-doping system.

Any chance this can be discussed elsewhere.

This happens to be Elijah’s welcome thread.

Get put onto a diversion program. Once he completes the program, any reference to his conviction will be removed... that's if what I am remembering about it is right.
It’s still like that in Vic. Been there, done that! Not sure about QLD

you do it ahead of time - a few things have to be ticked off - the charges are then dropped i.e, no conviction!
I knew it was something like that.

And it's not like we haven't had any recent players who showed up with some "dodgy" stuff before we picked them up.

Anyway... Welcome to Carlton Elijah, you're better off in Melbourne where you will be surrounded by a support network.

Nohatespeech Nohate GIF by Democratic Meme Factory

Wishing Elija all the best and hopefully he lives up to his potential in footy!

I am unaware of how Elija felt about moving away from his family.

However we know some young fellas find just the thought challenging. Can not help but wonder if being forced to move away leaves them a little vulnerable to the likes of dealers and drugs!

A heap of cash all of a sudden and not much in between footy training leaving them a little lost!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's actually pretty unlucky to be charged even though he was caught. Most the time you would get a warning if its your first time. Must have been a "hardass' cop.

So why is this any different to Smith ?
One was drug use, ie Smith. EH is only possession. Being caught with drugs on you versus being caught taking drugs and failing a drug test are all different offences in the eyes of the law and sports administrators. This is a minor criminal matter i.e going through the normal court process you or I would go through if caught in possession of a bit of gear. He will get a slap on the wrist and no charge. I assume it would not count as a strike as he has not failed any drug test r been caught consuming drugs within the football environment is my read of it. The only sanction available would be if the club gave an internal reprimand, which given it didn't occur on Carlton's watch and they were aware of it ahead of recruitment won't happen.

One was drug use, ie Smith. EH is only possession. Being caught with drugs on you versus being caught taking drugs and failing a drug test are all different offences in the eyes of the law and sports administrators. This is a minor criminal matter i.e going through the normal court process you or I would go through if caught in possession of a bit of gear. He will get a slap on the wrist and no charge. I assume it would not count as a strike as he has not failed any drug test r been caught consuming drugs within the football environment is my read of it. The only sanction available would be if the club gave an internal reprimand, which given it didn't occur on Carlton's watch and they were aware of it ahead of recruitment won't happen.
pretty sure you still get a strike for possession

It's funny watching suns fans celebrate. They do realise that Hollands was likely doing it with his team mates (ie their players) and if he is a "party boy" so is a portion of their list?
Not sure what they're celebrating. They got bugger all for him and their shitty culture and environment possibly contributed to it happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back