News Xavier Duursma departs for Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

“What do you think? There was a man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’
“’I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.
“Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered, ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.
“Which of the two did what his father wanted?” “The first,” they answered. Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you.”

You know what makes a Port Adelaide player? It’s not wearing a Magpies beanie or embracing the history of the club. It’s doing what the coach asks and embracing the fundamental ethos of the club - we exist to win premierships. How the * can you say you believe this when at no point have you even come close to following instructions consistently? There is a certain responsibility that each player has to themselves and their teammates to do what they are asked to the best of their ability. If they don’t want to do that here, we’re going to trade them and bring in the equivalent of “tax collectors and prostitutes” - players who may not be as skilled but who actually follow the gameplan.
Once again, Janus has outsmarted you all.

If we had a thread about Bambi it would end up a Hinkley slinging match.
He’s coaching next year no matter what people say on here.
Oh and there’s no transition plan either, thought I get that in before some dill started that crap again.
Duursma is gone and he ain’t coming back.

How embarrassing for the club that Durrsma has straight out said he will be playing wing at Essendon.
Port Adelaide you lying campaigners.
That really doesn’t prove anything, unless we are in on the conversation everyone is guessing.
I find it hard to believe anyone can say I’m playing X position next year, it just doesn’t work like that in today’s game.

This is the trade/delisting season of getting rid of people who are too laconic/don't give enough of a s**t about getting the best out of themselves. Getting rid of your Bonners, your Duursmas, your Fantasias. The guys who breed an air of unprofessionalism, who aren't there to win. I look at a young guy like Lord and I think he's got the fight in him to make it at the top level. Guys like Bonner, Duursma and Fantasia don't want to fight. They want it easy, which is why they'll never get anywhere.
Please provide one iota of evidence that Xavier Duursma 'breeds an air of unprofessionalism', 'isn't there to win' or 'doesn't want to fight'.

Please provide one iota of evidence that Xavier Duursma 'breeds an air of unprofessionalism', 'isn't there to win' or 'doesn't want to fight'.
Look under 'Janus FanFic'. You will find it there.

I'd like to be able to say that I'm a winger first and foremost.

“That's where I've been playing the majority. 90 to 95 per cent of my time at AFL level has been played on the wing.

“I know that role quite well and I feel like I can really help the Bombers in that regard playing out there on the wing with the way that they play.

“I think I can bring my skill set and help do that out there. But at the same time, I don't think there's anything off the table. If I need to be able to go and do other roles for the Bombers as well if that's what's required of me.

“But my number one position where I think I'll be starting and what it looks like is I'll be playing wing.”

Further on he says this:

While Duursma has played in several huge games for Port Adelaide including big finals and Showdowns, one thing he’s looking forward to with Essendon is potentially featuring in marquee games throughout the home and away season.

“I'd be lying if I said it's not a massive factor,” Duursma said.

“I think that's really awesome and part of the reason that I chose Essendon as a place that I'd like to be able to play.

“I think it's an amazing opportunity to be able to play in some of the biggest games that Australian football gets to hold.

“I think Anzac Day and Dreamtime at the ‘G is just an amazing opportunity and I'm so excited to be able to potentially be a part of that.

“If I'm lucky enough to be out there playing in any of those games, it'll be probably the biggest crowd that I've ever played in front of."

He knows that he'll never play in front of the really big crowds while Daddy Donuts remains coach of Ports.

Get rid of your Bonners? What? We had the chance to trade him out in how many years and he ended up being delisted for no gain and you're using that as a good thing of us getting rid of our unprofessionals? And then compare him to Duursma? Gee whiz Janus, sometimes you just post utter drivel.

The same Bonner that was the only guy that turned up in the 2021 Prelim.

Further on he says this:

While Duursma has played in several huge games for Port Adelaide including big finals and Showdowns, one thing he’s looking forward to with Essendon is potentially featuring in marquee games throughout the home and away season.

“I'd be lying if I said it's not a massive factor,” Duursma said.

“I think that's really awesome and part of the reason that I chose Essendon as a place that I'd like to be able to play.

“I think it's an amazing opportunity to be able to play in some of the biggest games that Australian football gets to hold.

“I think Anzac Day and Dreamtime at the ‘G is just an amazing opportunity and I'm so excited to be able to potentially be a part of that.

“If I'm lucky enough to be out there playing in any of those games, it'll be probably the biggest crowd that I've ever played in front of."

He knows that he'll never play in front of the really big crowds while Daddy Donuts remains coach of Ports.

To be fair that's most interstate teams isn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some coaches are hopeless at managing a season as well, I think we have sufficient proof Hinkley has no idea how to get teams to peak at the right time.
Hes a master at it.

They peak exactly when he wants them to.

Contract time.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is the trade/delisting season of getting rid of people who are too laconic/don't give enough of a s**t about getting the best out of themselves. Getting rid of your Bonners, your Duursmas, your Fantasias. The guys who breed an air of unprofessionalism, who aren't there to win. I look at a young guy like Lord and I think he's got the fight in him to make it at the top level. Guys like Bonner, Duursma and Fantasia don't want to fight. They want it easy, which is why they'll never get anywhere.

That's funny, less than 3 weeks ago after the season you had this to say about Duursma

Duursma suffers from the fact that we have but one dominant intercept marking player in our best 22 that teams actively avoid. As such, his stats and output will diminish because he will often find himself having to plug the holes the less athletic key defenders leave.
When we plug Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher into the mix, and teams don't favour one side over the other when it comes to their attacks, you'll see Xavier return to the player he was in his first season, because we will be a more balanced defence like we were in 2019. Except we should be improving to a high level of quality.

I wouldn't be trading any of our players until you see what having an extra mobile tall intercept defender does for them. I think you'll be surprised.

Sounds ALMOST like you've changed your opinion on Duursma because he got traded 🤷‍♂️

Why can't it be both? There's nothing stopping it from being both.

We haven't had enough top end talent to compete for a flag until recently. This should be evident to anyone who actually gets their head out of the sand and actually looks at the kind of talent a premiership team actually has. Look at Collingwood's team - AAs in Moore, Daicos, Daicos, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Mitchell and star players in De Goey and Elliott.

But that being said, that talent is only at a high level when they can play in the positions they won their AA nominations in.

You can't count Boak, for example, if he's not playing midfield the way Pendlebury is. You can't count Wines if he's playing predominantly on a wing because we don't have enough key defenders and Bergman has to push back. And you can't really count Byrne-Jones in his forward pressure role because that's not where he won his nomination either. There's also an argument to be made that you can't count Aliir because he won his AA as a pure roaming intercept defender with defensive support from Jonas and Clurey/McKenzie.

So let's put Dixon, Rozee, Butters, Rozee and Houston into the mix. But then we'll take out Dixon because *, he's injured for finals and s**t, we're back down to four...not enough talent to get it done against top six teams.

Now let's plug Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher into defence, and suddenly, Wines doesn't have to play wing because Bergman can do that so he goes back into the mid fulltime where he won his Brownlow/AA, Aliir can go back to his roaming defensive role that he won hi AA in and Dixon is getting more looks at the ball through defensive pressure, which is how he won his AA in 2020 (we had the best defence in the league that year). They might not be world beaters but they can release other players into their preferred positions and increase the pressure more on opposition teams in the same manner that Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS operated when they got their games up and running - all three based their success on the success of their defensive structure.

Having guys who can play a role and just do their job - your quintessential JAGs - releases talent that has become stagnant. If Duursma wasn't doing his job on the wing properly - and his B&F results say that he wasn't - then no matter how talented he may be, he's not going to help us get to the promised land of a flag because the whole idea of team sports in the modern era is complementary football.

People say I blame the players. I don't blame them at all. Guys like Horne-Francis getting 90 votes in his first B&F for the club is more than anyone should have expected from him. Powell-Pepper getting what he did shows he gives his all most games. I'm not expecting miracles from them. As long as they give their all - as long as human endeavour is completely exhausted - in the role they have been asked to play, then they are fine with me.

I'm saying that if players want to leave because they think they can do better elsewhere, but they haven't actually been doing the role that the coaches ask of them, we'll find a JAG who does do the role and we'll be better off.

Of course, Dylan Williams was like that too, until he was put on the rookie list and it was like 'this is your last chance'. That's what woke him up. Maybe that's what a guy like Fantasia needs. Then again, maybe it's too late for that.

I was in the rooms before the game when we played Essendon at Marvel in 2019 and got to watch the players warm up.

The hardest trainer was Duursma by far! He had far more routine in his warm-up than anyone else.

I can tell you for a fact that Duursma is not unprofessional.

Yeah I remember these days. Back when Ken would say "We get what we deserve" and actually believe it. Now he's full of excuses and loves to point the finger. Insane that the same guy that used to take ownership when loosing and project a cohesive coach and team unit is now the same guy who says "we wouldn't do anything different" after getting flogged in a prelim we were red hot favourites for.
It's true. We deserve no premierships over the last 11 years for sticking with this loser.

That's funny, less than 3 weeks ago after the season you had this to say about Duursma

Sounds ALMOST like you've changed your opinion on Duursma because he got traded 🤷‍♂️

Janus does have two faces, so that he can see the past and the future...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back