Player Watch Reef McInnes

Remove this Banner Ad

His best football has been in forward line. I’ve never seen him do anything as a mid. His last half of the VFL season before injury was outstanding. Keep him forward and let him develop there.

Similar to frampton just keep them in their best spot
until Freddy can prove he can pass through a paper mache banner without dislocating every joint in his body, Reef is all we have. At the very least, he gives a contest and chases with intent. Was stiff not to finish with 2 or 3 yesterday.

His best football has been in forward line. I’ve never seen him do anything as a mid. His last half of the VFL season before injury was outstanding. Keep him forward and let him develop there.

Similar to frampton just keep them in their best spot
This is exactly the point about developing youth - they need continuity and patience.
That’s why I’m a supporter of Finn getting a block of games.

We have different perspectives on Finn spinny 😂.

But I’m very bullish on reef.
Just wrote my comment then read yours! I could not agree more heartily. Leave him and watch him grow. He is athletic, brave and capable of taking a good contested mark or swooping on a ground ball and snapping a goal. I make him sound like Curnow but he is in that mold.

We have different perspectives on Finn spinny 😂.

But I’m very bullish on reef.
Why not continuity and patience with Finn?
He’s been just as impressive in the VFL ( last year) and pre season as Reef.
But not given any continuity.
The bit parts he’s been given all year don’t build confidence.

We need to blood mids - it’s an absolute priority IMO.

He kicked the goal anyway, so no harm done, but can anyone tell me why the * the umpire didn't pay 50 metres when Sicily came back after being outmarked and tackled Reef to the ground??

Yes I was screaming that it was worse than Berry on Sidebottom, so why not pay it?

I can’t find what you’re referring to at 3:40 or with 3:40 to go, but I’ll take your word for it.
It's in the corner of the video, it was the replay, you can see Sicily watching Reef out of the corner of his eye and steps into his path.

I like what i'm seeing from Reef, would love to see what he's capable of with McStay in the side. I say give him a big block of games, i think he'll kick 3+ goals soon, could of kicked 3 yesterday.

He kicked the goal anyway, so no harm done, but can anyone tell me why the * the umpire didn't pay 50 metres when Sicily came back after being outmarked and tackled Reef to the ground??
That was strange why they didn't pay 50 metres.

I think Reef we continue to play. He's in a tough position as that hybrid medium forward, where your output can vary, depending on what's happening further up the ground.
He could've kicked 3 last night, but finished with the 1.1. Had a strong contested mark, which was a mark, not given, plus the left foot snap touched right on the goal line.
I like that he's getting into position at ground level at times to win a loose ball and also competing in the air. He does have a decent set of hands, and with more game time and experience, he will be marking alot more of those 50/50 contests....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's in the corner of the video, it was the replay, you can see Sicily watching Reef out of the corner of his eye and steps into his path.
So the replay and not the highlights? Which quarter?

To be honest Sicily likely doesn't do that unless he touched the ball in the contest. And therefore the umpires probably think there's a slight chance he did in hindsight and didn't force the 50.

Berry in the GF on the other hand was just a genuine tackle after a mark. No chance he touched it or anything.

Why not continuity and patience with Finn?
He’s been just as impressive in the VFL ( last year) and pre season as Reef.
But not given any continuity.
The bit parts he’s been given all year don’t build confidence.

We need to blood mids - it’s an absolute priority IMO.
He looks lost much of the time in the seniors. I recall the famous Calton game late last year when he played and was hardly sighted when he was on the ground. Others reference his high tackle count in a couple of sub games. Tackling is a good sign but a mid is supposed to be all about breaking the lines or gathering possessions which hurt the opposition. He hasn't done this yet. Reef has kicked goals and had some good patches which give you genuine hope.

He looks lost much of the time in the seniors. I recall the famous Calton game late last year when he played and was hardly sighted when he was on the ground. Others reference his high tackle count in a couple of sub games. Tackling is a good sign but a mid is supposed to be all about breaking the lines or gathering possessions which hurt the opposition. He hasn't done this yet. Reef has kicked goals and had some good patches which give you genuine hope.
Finn shows all the necessary attributes at VFL level and had glowing reports about his preseason - how does he get to prove himself at AFL level without continuity?
If he had deficiencies your hesitation would be understandable.
It’s purely a confidence issue IMO that can only be fixed with games in the seniors.

Finn shows all the necessary attributes at VFL level and had glowing reports about his preseason - how does he get to prove himself at AFL level without continuity?
It’s purely a confidence issue IMO that can only be fixed with games in the seniors.
This might seem reductive, but I’d say the difference is that Reef got his opportunity and performed his role to the required level whereas Finn got an opportunity and sadly didn’t.

We lost the first 3 games of the season and any and all wins we bank throughout this patch of the season will be absolutely crucial in making top 8 (or potentially top 4). Unfortunately that leaves Finn and the other unproven youngsters with a very short lead in regards to the standard of performance required to continue getting selected.

It’s stiff, and we do need the young talent to come through, but we need to ensure we’re prioritising winning games at this moment in time.

You're missing the point that there are better performed midfielders that Fin is competing for a spot with, or at lest a lot more competition for that spot.

Reef is only competing with AJ at the moment for a spot and has him well and truly covered.

Sicily probably did touch it. I like that they don't pay those ones. Stops an umpire error resulting in follow on penalty - like what occured for Carlton. It's like how they don't pay holding the ball when someone claims a mark that the umpires call touched.

Last year in the VFL guys like Jarred Lyon from the Lions showed him up in the VFL. He needs to show that he can match it with the good fringe of the AFL mids at the very minimum before we even talk about selecting him ahead of the likes of Tom Mitchell and Scott Pendlebury - or whoever you think should be pushed out of the midfield for Finn. He's got two more years to show he's up to it, but unfortunately he hasn't done so yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back