Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe DW but it will not be easy to get any concessions and this would be reasonable negotiation unless the league can just take it off them.
Yes I don't for a minute expect they will change it. Not even to your version.
But if we're talking about fairness and integrity then I think we should put forward the ideal model, not a watered down one to begin with.

Part of the deal would be that the defending ANZAC Day "champion" would have it as a home game with all the benefits that flow from that. To leave Ess or Coll as the home side every alternate year would make me puke. They need to earn it like everybody else.

Incidentally somebody is bound to say "but what about the interstate sides". I think there's a case for building up the existing local derbies in Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth and hold them over the ANZAC week. Or maybe have it as one nationwide non-Vic ANZAC challenge that operates just like the Vic one. That way even the Tassie Devils can join in.

The AFL loves a fixturing gimmick so they should pounce on something like that.

Talking of the ANZAC Day two-team monopoly reminds me of an interesting precedent of sorts.

Back in the mid 80s, Friday night footy was not considered something that would work.

North took it on, with the blessing of the whole comp, and proceed to make it their own. Hugely popular.

Suddenly, the big clubs (probably all clubs) wanted a piece of it.

"But we started it, we've put in the work to make it successful", cried North.

"It should be shared around", said the big clubs. "This isn't fair!".

And so it became a night for all clubs.

The argument for Pies & Dons to keep their ANZAC Day monopoly?

"We started it, we've put in the work to make it successful".

I don’t like Dillon at all, he is no friend to the Bulldogs, we have been treated very badly since he took control. The Good Friday game, this stupid 0 round, giving Melbourne a leg up, playing a home team in Gather round last year, relentlessly making us be one of the Bunnies playing at Pork Barrel park.

Let’s not get started on how they screwed us over the AFLW.

The other part that is difficult, is the ban Bevo has on the media. I don’t watch many footy shows, because the caliber is so poor, but I quite like AFL360. All the coaches go on, except Bevo, sometimes we don’t even get a mention, not good if we are trying to build up our membership.

I don’t like Dillon at all, he is no friend to the Bulldogs, we have been treated very badly since he took control. The Good Friday game, this stupid 0 round, giving Melbourne a leg up, playing a home team in Gather round last year, relentlessly making us be one of the Bunnies playing at Pork Barrel park.

The other part that is difficult, is the ban Bevo has on the media. I don’t watch many footy shows, because the caliber is so poor, but I quite like AFL360. All the coaches go on, except Bevo, sometimes we don’t even get a mention, not good if we are trying to build up our membership.

I didn't like Dillon for the purely subjective reason that he looks like several twats I encountered in my younger career days in a couple of large corporations.🤔

Then he opened his mouth to defend the MRO decision to uphold the Cameron appeal to downgrade, and I had a non-subjective reason confirming he's definitely a twat. 🙂

That’s purely Bevo’s fault. He hasn’t done himself any favors by the way he treats the media. He doesn’t like anyone asking him tough questions, and since the Tom Morris debacle last year, no one is brave enough to ask him any hard questions, to be honest, it’s pathetic on Bevo’s part.

That’s purely Bevo’s fault. He hasn’t done himself any favors by the way he treats the media. He doesn’t like anyone asking him tough questions, and since the Tom Morris debacle last year, no one is brave enough to ask him any hard questions, to be honest, it’s pathetic on Bevo’s part.

I don’t blame Bevo for being wary of the media. He came on to Footy Classified as a guest, and they absolutely roasted him, it was awful to watch. At one point he turned to Caro and pleaded for her to see his point of view but she went along with the rest of the panel. It was a real set up. Does anyone else remember this? It was around management of one of our players, I forget who.

Update:

I just had a quick look on YouTube to see if I could find the show, and wow it is nothing but headline after headline of Cornes, Caro and Barrett attacking Bevo going back years. Bevo stood up for Boyd, Treloar in particular and has been crucified for it. Shame on any of you who support the media over this.

Last edited:
I don’t blame Bevo for being wary of the media. He came on to Footy Classified as a guest, and they absolutely roasted him, it was awful to watch. At one point he turned to Caro and pleaded for her to see his point of view but she went along with the rest of the panel. It was a real set up. Does anyone else remember this? It was around management of one of our players, I forget who.
It had something to do with Michael Talia and the panel roasted Bevo for it how the club managed it.

It had something to do with Michael Talia and the panel roasted Bevo for it how the club managed it.

It never came out the whole story of Adelaide and Talia, the AFL closed it down, but I think we were thrown some sweeteners the following year.

Just little things get my goat. Listened to the Whateley podcast with B Sanderson last Thursday previewing our game against Saints.

They refer to Ross Lyon as Ross and constantly call Bevo Beveridge.

Why refer to one by his first name in a friendly, admirable way and then refer to the other purely by his surname as if he was last nights fish dinner?

It’s these subtle, disrespectful things that annoy me.

Update:

I just had a quick look on YouTube to see if I could find the show, and wow it is nothing but headline after headline of Cornes, Caro and Barrett attacking Bevo going back years. Bevo stood up for Boyd, Treloar in particular and has been crucified for it. Shame on any of you who support the media over this.
Thought I'd have a look, too.

Nothing but scuttlebutt. Not just about the Dogs, either.

Muckrakers United.

Please do not watch this stuff if you value your mental health :mad:

Just little things get my goat. Listened to the Whateley podcast with B Sanderson last Thursday previewing our game against Saints.

They refer to Ross Lyon as Ross and constantly call Bevo Beveridge.

Why refer to one by his first name in a friendly, admirable way and then refer to the other purely by his surname as if he was last nights fish dinner?

It’s these subtle, disrespectful things that annoy me.
Because it makes sense to refer to Ross Lyon as Ross, given Garry Lyon works in the morning on said station, and I've never heard Luke Beveridge referred to as "Luke" basically ever. Even our players call him Bevo.

This shouldn't get your goat.

Update:

It was a complete ambush. Luke went in positive & upbeat expecting to talk about a good win, as I recall, only for them to start dredging up old incidents like the Boyd/Cordy one and Talia phone gate.
It was gutter media “journalism”. Awful show, with awful people who weren’t even interested in what happens on field only looking to shock or grind their axes.

Wilson has been on the gutter journalism bandwagon since the Carey/Stevens North blow up, because someone at North thought she'd be a good media option. Oops!
Scott West also opened up to her about some personal issues around that time, and that was partly a catalyst from the club to no longer engage with her. I doubt there are any clubs in Vic who would regard her as a reputable media voice to spread any subtle message they're desiring to get out, or even any kite-flying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilson has been on the gutter journalism bandwagon since the Carey/Stevens North blow up, because someone at North thought she'd be a good media option. Oops!
Scott West also opened up to her about some personal issues around that time, and that was partly a catalyst from the club to no longer engage with her. I doubt there are any clubs in Vic who would regard her as a reputable media voice to spread any subtle message they're desiring to get out, or even any kite-flying.
Whatever info she gets these days, I'd be shocked if she's getting it gratis.

Last edited:
Talking of the ANZAC Day two-team monopoly reminds me of an interesting precedent of sorts.

Back in the mid 80s, Friday night footy was not considered something that would work.

North took it on, with the blessing of the whole comp, and proceed to make it their own. Hugely popular.

Suddenly, the big clubs (probably all clubs) wanted a piece of it.

"But we started it, we've put in the work to make it successful", cried North.

"It should be shared around", said the big clubs. "This isn't fair!".

And so it became a night for all clubs.

The argument for Pies & Dons to keep their ANZAC Day monopoly?

"We started it, we've put in the work to make it successful".
They didn’t even start it. I remember we played on ANZAC Day, circa 1990 v Carlton at Princess Park? and I went to the MCG on ANZAC Day 1986 with friends and watched Carlton V Melbourne. I distinctly remember there was no reserves because nothing could happen before 1:00pm.
As a side note because there was no reserves, big crowds gathered and someone booted open one of those big light green wooden doors in the old Southern Stand and hundreds of crew just ran in, grandmas, kids, yobbos, everyone, and the was nothing the old blue coats could do😂

I don't agree. He is fine with the vast majority of the media.Watch a few of his media conferences - he addresses everyone by their first name in a way no other coach does.

He does answer every question asked. He does get frustrated when he is asked the same question again and again - as I would.

They don't ask him tough questions? Please - he was smashed with questions about dropping players,Naughton to CHB, never making top 4, why Lobb was recruited etc etc etc..

Do you really think the media are reluctant to ask him the tough questions? They would not last long if that's how they respond to
a supposed difficult coach.

Sometimes he is the victim of trying to explain things in too much detail, resulting in some dumb media types getting "confused"

He defends his club and players - at the expense of getting a "good bloke discount" (this was how Caro explained why Hinkley gets a good run from the media despite constantly falling over at the last hurdle).

Bevo treats the media in much the same way as they treat him.If they treat him and the club with respect, so does he.If they dont....

good on him.

I doubt anyone is making a decision as to which club to support based on how the teams coach handles the media.

I don't agree. He is fine with the vast majority of the media.Watch a few of his media conferences - he addresses everyone by their first name in a way no other coach does.

He does answer every question asked. He does get frustrated when he is asked the same question again and again - as I would.

They don't ask him tough questions? Please - he was smashed with questions about dropping players,Naughton to CHB, never making top 4, why Lobb was recruited etc etc etc..

Do you really think the media are reluctant to ask him the tough questions? They would not last long if that's how they respond to
a supposed difficult coach.

Sometimes he is the victim of trying to explain things in too much detail, resulting in some dumb media types getting "confused"

He defends his club and players - at the expense of getting a "good bloke discount" (this was how Caro explained why Hinkley gets a good run from the media despite constantly falling over at the last hurdle).

Bevo treats the media in much the same way as they treat him.If they treat him and the club with respect, so does he.If they dont....

good on him.

I doubt anyone is making a decision as to which club to support based on how the teams coach handles the media.
Agree mostly. Where he has let himself down is going too hard at a few. The comment about Cornes (roughly ‘why would someone sleep next to someone like that’), saying the club would never forgive Barrett over Boyd and his explosion at Morris just went too far.

In each case there was a player welfare issue involved so that’s part of it. He’d be better off firing a modest jab and moving on.

They didn’t even start it. I remember we played on ANZAC Day, circa 1990 v Carlton at Princess Park? and I went to the MCG on ANZAC Day 1986 with friends and watched Carlton V Melbourne. I distinctly remember there was no reserves because nothing could happen before 1:00pm.
As a side note because there was no reserves, big crowds gathered and someone booted open one of those big light green wooden doors in the old Southern Stand and hundreds of crew just ran in, grandmas, kids, yobbos, everyone, and the was nothing the old blue coats could do😂

Not to forget the ANZAC Day clash v Richmond at the G where we kicked 10.3 to 0.3 in the first qtr then only just held on to win by 2 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back