Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo saved his arse with those wins against gws and Collingwood

Lose vs Freo and were looking at bottom 6

But he’s “not conning me” his time is up

Rewind 2021. after round 20 , on top of the ladder. Who knows what would’ve happened had we finished top or top 2.

The confidence the team would’ve had.

But we blew it and finished 5th lol

Last edited:

This weekend highlighted how we don’t employ a tagger and consistently pay for it
Also tells me we have no time for players that can play a role and coaches who believe in it

Blues tagged Merrett, saints Millar, lions Bont etc etc

I don’t get it but then what would I know
I just see Neale carve us up.

Bevo saved his arse with those wins against gws and Collingwood

Lose vs Freo and were looking at bottom 6

But he’s “not conning me” his time is up

Rewind 2021. after round 20 , on top of the ladder. Who knows what would’ve happened had we finished top or top 2.

The confidence the team would’ve had.

But we blew it and finished 5th lol
I think the Brisbane time keeping error should have been reversed in 2021. That mistake had huge ramifications for us.

This weekend highlighted how we don’t employ a tagger and consistently pay for it
Also tells me we have no time for players that can play a role and coaches who believe in it

Prepare for another Fyfing this week….bloke is practically on a Zimmer frame now and he torched us.

I don’t mind if we don’t tag - i do mind if we play players like Daniel in the midfield who have zero chance of stopping the ball getting walked out of there.

Prepare for another Fyfing this week….bloke is practically on a Zimmer frame now and he torched us.

I don’t mind if we don’t tag - i do mind if we play players like Daniel in the midfield who have zero chance of stopping the ball getting walked out of there.

I mind on both accounts tagging and playing players like Daniel in midfield

We spent more time at stoppages and CB trying to give space to Bont and dealing with Berry than doing what we are supposed to

Amateurish hour

9 years ago, about a week after Bevvo was appointed as our senior coach, I had a chat with a bloke who had worked as a recruiter / talent scout at 3 different AFL clubs and had worked with Bev previously.

I asked him if Bevvo would be any good and he said something I’ve never been able to forget:

- He said, I think he’ll be a good coach, he’s a nice, reasonable, caring bloke and he understands the machinations of a footy club. He’ll develop young players well.

Buttttttt….. he’ll experiment too much playing players in different positions. He’ll play too many kids to get games into them, rather than trying to win each week. He’s always preparing for a future that may or may not be there, rather than just trying to win in the now.

We had a laugh about what he said after we won the flag in 2016, but the conversation has never really left me.

I was about to write almost the same comment. I don't believe we do any training using a tagger and therefore perhaps we don't have anyone with the right tools to tag effectively. The days where we could rely on our midfield winning the war are long gone and we should factor in tagging as a necessary part of team planning both before and during games. To not apply it is giving in to the opposition's dominance. Others might call it stubbornness.

9 years ago, about a week after Bevvo was appointed as our senior coach, I had a chat with a bloke who had worked as a recruiter / talent scout at 3 different AFL clubs and had worked with Bev previously.

I asked him if Bevvo would be any good and he said something I’ve never been able to forget:

- He said, I think he’ll be a good coach, he’s a nice, reasonable, caring bloke and he understands the machinations of a footy club. He’ll develop young players well.

Buttttttt….. he’ll experiment too much playing players in different positions. He’ll play too many kids to get games into them, rather than trying to win each week. He’s always preparing for a future that may or may not be there, rather than just trying to win in the now.

We had a laugh about what he said after we won the flag in 2016, but the conversation has never really left me.
That sounds exactly like Bevo

Bont is so good that he can negate the oppositions best mid and do plenty of damage at the same time.

Remember a game against Carlton Cripps destroyed us in the first quarter. Bont went onto him and went on to be bog himself.

Last week he manned up in Daicos after half time same result,

Given Neal was Brisbane only really dangerous, have no idea why they didn’t just put Bont onto him, making the tag ineffective.

Really don’t get Bevo thinking at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont is so good that he can negate the oppositions best mid and do plenty of damage at the same time.

Remember a game against Carlton Cripps destroyed us in the first quarter. Bont went onto him and went on to be bog himself.

Last week he manned up in Daicos after half time same result,

Given Neal was Brisbane only really dangerous, have no idea why they didn’t just put Bont onto him, making the tag ineffective.

Really don’t get Bevo thinking at times.
Agree with this. Only 2 ways to break Bont's tag. Play him forward or get him to take on their best mid 1 v 1. Rotate properly through the middle and this could have been an advantage.

Not enough of the anti Bev's actually mentioned this

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still don’t know what to think of this season. Yes we are injury plagued but I still think it’s pretty evident we rely on Bont and one other to get us over the line. If he didn’t pull out the best last quarter he has ever played, we probably lose. If Collingwood had even half of their preferred forward line in we would’ve lost regardless of Bonts performance.

I thought the loss to Brisbane was abysmal. But I wasn’t that upset over it, which is unusual. Let’s hope we aren’t slowly becoming conditioned to accept average performances and seasons again.

Last night I had a read of our autopsy thread after the 2022 Freo final. God were we furious. There are problems discussed in that thread that are still present today. And to be honest since that game I haven’t had the same feel for footy. Sure I’m still very happy with wins and upset with losses but it’s seriously been a long amount of time since I felt nerves shaking going into a game or while watching the game.

Still don’t know what to think of this season. Yes we are injury plagued but I still think it’s pretty evident we rely on Bont and one other to get us over the line. If he didn’t pull out the best last quarter he has ever played, we probably lose. If Collingwood had even half of their preferred forward line in we would’ve lost regardless of Bonts performance.

I thought the loss to Brisbane was abysmal. But I wasn’t that upset over it, which is unusual. Let’s hope we aren’t slowly becoming conditioned to accept average performances and seasons again.

Last night I had a read of our autopsy thread after the 2022 Freo final. God were we furious. There are problems discussed in that thread that are still present today. And to be honest since that game I haven’t had the same feel for footy. Sure I’m still very happy with wins and upset with losses but it’s seriously been a long amount of time since I felt nerves shaking going into a game or while watching the game.
doesnt change my opinion, we are a mid range side 7-12, this pre season i predicted us to have 7-10 wins. i can only see us beat norf X2, maybe crows, freo and melb.

Last edited:

100%. I love Bevo, but if Alex Keath played against Hawthorn instead of Buku I reckon we would have won?
Bevo obviously doesn’t see Luke Cleary in the Bulldogs future, but sees Van derMeer in it, so Van dermeer plays and Cleary doesn’t?? I think Cleary is the better footballer.

100%. I love Bevo, but if Alex Keath played against Hawthorn instead of Buku I reckon we would have won?
Bevo obviously doesn’t see Luke Cleary in the Bulldogs future, but sees Van derMeer in it, so Van dermeer plays and Cleary doesn’t?? I think Cleary is the better footballer.
IMO neither are up to it.

Would that be the same Keath who wouldn't man up against Daniher or Hipwood, instead staying 20 metres in front of them and leaving it all up to Jones!!

Would that be the same Keath who wouldn't man up against Daniher or Hipwood, instead staying 20 metres in front of them and leaving it all up to Jones!!
”Wouldn’t” because he defied coaching instructions? Or “didn’t” because he followed them?

Unless we know what they are being coached to do it’s tenuous at best to blame the player for his positioning. If anything, given our much discussed defensive zoning strategy I’d be inclined to think he was following instructions.

But we really don’t know.

”Wouldn’t” because he defied coaching instructions? Or “didn’t” because he followed them?

Unless we know what they are being coached to do it’s tenuous at best to blame the player for his positioning. If anything, given our much discussed defensive zoning strategy I’d be inclined to think he was following instructions.

You're also both assuming that actually WAS Alex Keath out there on Friday night, and not some AI replicant.

Claiming he was injured post-match was an easy out to smuggle that version into a waiting car and back to the bowels of VUWO for Zimmer and his new apprentice to work out what went wrong...

images - 2024-06-11T122359.989.jpeg

It's a bit weird that we haven't really given up too many of those type of goals this season until Keath came back into the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back