Gold Coast SUNS guernsey discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1983416

Granted: But the new theme is written by Birds of Tokyo...
Danny Devito Smh GIF

lommy Was there any talks of changing the song?

fight fight fight til we hold up the cup
run run run all the wayyyyy
hey!

Who actually wants to get around to sing that trash? I'd rather we just nodded job well done to each other in silence

None. But I’m glad I love our song. Top 5 in the league imo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’ll try and put my thoughts into words, sorry if it seems clunky.

So I walked out of the brand refresh feeling really flat.

They showed us 3 designs. Mostly focusing on the logo and putting it in a lineup with all other club logos for comparison.

Logo Design 1.

This was awful, really awful.
But, the guernsey they slapped it on was GREAT.

Red to Yellow gradient. Starting with red at the bottom changing into yellow around the chest and up, with red hems and collars!

The away was yellow and yellow gradient.
(Looked okay nothing great like the yellow training jumper)

The clash was blue and red gradient, looked really good - think phoenix suns but more blue than purple.

Logo Design 2.

This was the best logo that was offered up.

They had placed this on a 2 toned red jumper. Think soccer shirt where it’s red with darker red lines quite busy, I hated it.

And a yellow version - the same.

Logo Design 3.

This logo was also terrible.

On the guernseys they had changed the red and blue shades to almost lions colors. And the logo on this one was really big and quite low on the jumper in a darker shade of the same color of the jumpers.

I have written a lot about the different jumper designs they showed us and honestly if the put logo 2 onto guernsey 1 it would be pretty decent design.

But they didn’t seem to care about the actual guernsey design. Every time I asked about it or gave feed back they tried to put me back into talking about the logo. It seemed like it would be an after thought.

They did concede that they would be going with some type of gradient and all signs pointed to yellow being the away/clash.

Anyone who wants a “traditional” strip will be disappointed.

I should also say he did stress that these designs weren’t anywhere near completion before he showed us, to the point where he almost sounded defensive, almost like he had negative feedback all day.

It is happening. 2025 we will be in a new kit.

Members will be shown in November.

I didn’t end up signing any type of NDA and we didn’t have to give them our phones, just turn them off.

If you feel comfortable, is it possible you could describe the logos in more detail?

So I've had this idea for a SUNS rebrand that I've been working on for a little while. I've floated it on the Port board a few times to - let's say - mixed reviews. But now that the club is officially looking to rebrand, I thought I'd post it here.

As a starting point, I think it's a little questionable to be called the SUNS if you are playing at night when the actual sun is down. So I think for night games the club should be known as the MOONS.

You have a yellow guernsey with red trim for day games as the SUNS and a blue guernsey with red trim for night games as the MOONS. The current SUNS song remains but gets a rework for MOONS games with a more downbeat tone to reflect the contrast in mood between night and day.

Twilight games are the best because you get to be the SUNS in the first half and MOONS in the second half. You run out to one song and then if you win you get to celebrate with another. So cool and unique.

Let me know what you guys think of my idea!

lommy Was there any talks of changing the song?

fight fight fight til we hold up the cup
run run run all the wayyyyy
hey!

Who actually wants to get around to sing that trash? I'd rather we just nodded job well done to each other in silence

If we really wanted to connect with our QLD roots, we would change 'Hey' to 'Aye'

I would have loved to go to the meeting as I have a design background and am a long time member.

Seems like they might be getting bogged down on the logo and not putting enough time into the overall brand...

I would love to get some Black / dark colour in our brand. All the best club merchandise has a predominately dark colour imo. Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond. Just more wearable in more situations and a better variety of merchandise can be created.

Have to admit I’m really concerned, why the hell do we need a logo smacked in the middle of the Guernsey? The current one just looks tacky and replacing it with something similar would be equally so.
Can be a good thing if done right.......

Think when Freo redesigned with the simple white Anchor
Carlton Monogram
or even Sydney Silhouette.

For some reason trying to be too edgy and crap. Just go back to basics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I've had this idea for a SUNS rebrand that I've been working on for a little while. I've floated it on the Port board a few times to - let's say - mixed reviews. But now that the club is officially looking to rebrand, I thought I'd post it here.

As a starting point, I think it's a little questionable to be called the SUNS if you are playing at night when the actual sun is down. So I think for night games the club should be known as the MOONS.

You have a yellow guernsey with red trim for day games as the SUNS and a blue guernsey with red trim for night games as the MOONS. The current SUNS song remains but gets a rework for MOONS games with a more downbeat tone to reflect the contrast in mood between night and day.

Twilight games are the best because you get to be the SUNS in the first half and MOONS in the second half. You run out to one song and then if you win you get to celebrate with another. So cool and unique.

Let me know what you guys think of my idea!
Not sure if a name/logo change for night games would be a good idea, but a "solar eclipse" guernsey for night games would be a really interesting idea.

Just something different to separate us from other AFL teams.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure if a name/logo change for night games would be a good idea, but a "solar eclipse" guernsey for night games would be a really interesting idea.

Just something different to separate us from other AFL teams.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now you're talking.

Reckon there's an opportunity for AFL clubs to get more creative with branding but it will have to be pushed by the newer clubs who aren't hostage to history and traditions (we have our own history and traditions but the AFL don't allow us to use them).

A few of us on the Port board want a name change to the Pirates. We can imagine people dressed up as Pirates, Jolly Roger flags in the crowd, opposition fans walking the plank, etc. Beats whatever Power is supposed to be.

If you end up selling them I would be interested too - that wave is awesome. I always really liked the red away with the multi-coloured wave. Never understood why more people didn't like that
Agree, I have a couple of them and the white with the blue wave as well, thought they were unique and promising if they could do something with the logo

I wasn’t gonna say, but * it. They didn’t actually say not to while we were there, just no photos.

I’ll explain as best I can.

It’s like the oval shape we have now but it is just an S, the top half of the S is a solid yellow the bottom half has lines getting thinner towards the bottom to look like a rising sun.

I kinda thought it looked like if the old rugby league Superleague and Oakley logos had a baby.

I'm not that skilled but I knocked this up in 10 minutes, kinda along your lines.

Attachments

• gclogo.png
    gclogo.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 37

Remove this Banner Ad

Back