Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We definitely need to be bringing in some mid draft draftees in that 15-30 range this season. Due to JUH & Darcy, we've really missed out on some talent that might leave some age holes on our list in a few years unless we address it. The top end elite talent is there but need to keep bringing in some youth.

2019 - Weightman (next pick was Butler at 53)
2020 - JUH (next pick was Bedendo at 55)
2021 - Darcy (next pick was Jones at 43)

Yeah it's why I'd want us to keep a hypothetical pick 21 and send 30 and change for Lobb or something like packaging 30+39 for a pick in the mid 20s and using that for Lobb, 21 is still a very usable pick and we haven't had the capacity to hit the draft hard over the last three seasons.

I get the downplaying of what he brought to a side that he's leaving.

However as you do that you are neglecting the fact that he does more than one thing better than every one of the aforementioned players aside from the Bont does. He is a fantastic contested mark and kicks goals, attributes that very few inside mids scrubbers posses. You know... key ingredients in what it takes to win games.

He can eat the world biggest bag of dicks for the way he, his management and The Bears have carried on since the announcement of his departure. But its just childish to not acknowledge what he'll bring to The Bears and the giant hole that its going to leave in our side.
this was the one year he kicked goals to be fair, before that he had kicked 5 and 6 goals in the past 2 seasons, dunkley goes out of that mid treloar goes back in and he can kick goals aswell,

i dont think that hole is nearly as big as you make it out to be, i think this is an opportunity to stop playing to many mids and just shoving them into positions where they dont belong, ive been adamant on we need either a genuine small forward or half forward who knows how to play the role like a ben ainsworth from gold coast the way that guy plays would benefit us like crazy,

but having one less mid now lets us play an actual role player not just someone resting up forward, will bevo do that probs not but yea thats what i think, id honestly be trying to get dunks to gold coast for a first rounder + a malcom rosas or ben ainsworth even tho that wont happen just a wish of mine

this was the one year he kicked goals to be fair, before that he had kicked 5 and 6 goals in the past 2 seasons, dunkley goes out of that mid treloar goes back in and he can kick goals aswell,

i dont think that hole is nearly as big as you make it out to be, i think this is an opportunity to stop playing to many mids and just shoving them into positions where they dont belong, ive been adamant on we need either a genuine small forward or half forward who knows how to play the role like a ben ainsworth from gold coast the way that guy plays would benefit us like crazy,

but having one less mid now lets us play an actual role player not just someone resting up forward will bevo do that probs not but yea thats what i think, id honestly be trying to get dunks to gold coast for a first rounder + a malcom rosas or ben ainsworth
There's every chance a draftee gets games next year too.
We'll take the best available and some of those kids look like they can be eased into senior football in a HF or HB rotation role.

Still not opposed to us grabbing someone like Melican as decent depth. I see Kinnear Beatson from Sydney was just on Trade Radio, but didn’t hear any Melican-related chat.
Melican ain’t decent depth (Cordy is better).

I want Buku getting more of a permanent look than those slow and battling types we always seem to have.

Melican ain’t decent depth (Cordy is better).

I want Buku getting more of a permanent look than those slow and battling types we always seem to have.

Big offseason and season coming up for Buku

Time to settle him as a defender

We’re not going to replace Dunkley like-for-like, this year he was one of the few inside mid/forwards that actually had good output in both areas, along with Cripps and Coniglio.

One of the things it allows us to do is shorten the midfield rotation by one and replace that role with a genuine forward.

Yeah. I'm not sure it's directly like for like though as Dunkley was one of the best marks for an inside mid in the comp.
I still feel like Dunkley is a loss but if we're smart we can adjust.
Westy took some cracking contested marks up forward this year

Westy took some cracking contested marks up forward this year
Fair, but I'd still back Dunks in simply due to his size. He has that Daniel Cross ability to get his arms out and pluck one in congestion without needing a jump at it.
I actually wouldn't mind us finding a taller wingman from somewhere as without Dunks as a marking mid we need to cover that link up play from the back half.
If we get Lobb, it might allow Naughton and Marra to provide some around the ground marking power as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might pay over for Lobb and paid under for Dunks, so what...big deal. With Lobb+Jones IN, I can see better team balance to start with
+ draft hand
1st round (11) small forward / KPD
2nd round (21 or 30) KPD / small forward
F1 , so 2 1st round next year
1 more senior assistant coach please

Not too fussy, The rest is bonus

Key next season: good coaching, Keath+Bruce back to early 2021 form. JUH+Darcy 1 more pre season under their belts. Tobs showed some glimpse. Less injuries, we'll be alright

Fair, but I'd still back Dunks in simply due to his size. He has that Daniel Cross ability to get his arms out and pluck one in congestion without needing a jump at it.
I actually wouldn't mind us finding a taller wingman from somewhere as without Dunks as a marking mid we need to cover that link up play from the back half.
If we get Lobb, it might allow Naughton and Marra to provide some around the ground marking power as well.
Callaghan, Callaghan, Callaghan

Perfect wingman for us in 2024

We might pay over for Lobb and paid under for Dunks, so what...big deal. With Lobb+Jones IN, I can see better team balance to start with
+ draft hand
1st round (11) small forward / KPD
2nd round (21 or 30) KPD / small forward
F1 , so 2 1st round next year
1 more senior assistant coach please

Not too fussy, The rest is bonus

Key next season: good coaching, Keath+Bruce back to early 2021 form. JUH+Darcy 1 more pre season under their belts. Tobs showed some glimpse. Less injuries, we'll be alright

Where are you hearing that we'll have fewer injuries?

I thought we actually had a pretty good injury run this year.

I'd like to look at a delisted player as a DFA winger option. Someone like a Poulter or Brown from the Pies, both are young and both are over 190cm tall. I think we will look at a Defender, Mid and sml forward in the draft. That Darcy Jones has played all three lines and could be an option with his agility, Fletcher would be an option on the wing also.

EDIT
I would also like the team to look at Gillbee just because I'd love to have another iconic name streaming through the ground and going long to Darcy, Marra and Naughts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back