Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez 4 boys, do we have enough list spots?

9B57C81D-F247-419B-9EDD-E6834EDE65B3_1_201_a-840x450.jpeg

AFL 2023: Cats still the eldest team of all headed into 2023 season​

Our numbers affected by extended list and also adding experienced rookies. Still not a lot of game experience. Time to win more.

AFL CLUB LISTS RANKED BY AGE​

7. Gold Coast (24.8 years)

OVER 30s ON EACH CLUBS LIST (AS OF START OF 2023 SEASON)​

4 – Adelaide, Fremantle, Gold Coast

AFL CLUB LISTS RANKED BY AVERAGE GAMES PLAYED​

13. Gold Coast (63.5 games)

I'm telling you the Bodhi Uwland hype is real! Mr Unknown right now but he won't be unknown this time next year. Has all the tools to make it at the AFL level.

Zeke - 2nd from right is already training with U18s and I think Jarrah (on far left) is as well. Some talent there for sure.
Although Zeke is training with the U18s this year, he actually played in the U16 nationals last year as a bottom ager and went well from all reports so look out for him this year when he plays U16s with others his age. Here's a breakdown of his game from the national championships last year:

Though technically a bottom-ager in the Under 16 category, Zeke Uwland looked more than comfortable as he accumulated a mountain of possessions behind the ball, and helped his side rebound with efficiency. His distributive kicking skills were sound – long and short – with good bouts of composure seeing him consistently hit targets in tight spots from the last line of defence.

Would be great to have a few local brothers on our list like the Danihers back in the day but only Bodhi and Zeke appear to be the standouts at the moment.

Here is the article

Gold Coast’s emerging star Noah Anderson says he was so determined to pledge his long-term future to the club he never considered signing a deal of less than four seasons.
The Herald Sun can reveal Anderson has added another four years to his contract, with a deal set to expire at the end of this season now locked in through to October 2027.

That deal takes the 21-year-old through to free agency in a major coup for the club’s stated mission of retaining its senior core of players.Anderson could have named his price if he had put off talks until year’s end but told News Corp he wasn’t even interested in asking manager Paul Connors if there was rival interest.
“No, there was no conversation. I said I was happy here, let’s get the deal done,” Anderson said.

Despite the shock departure of Izak Rankine to Adelaide, Anderson said the Suns have built a core group of players who wouldn’t even consider returning to heartland states.

MOD NOTE: As hype as we are, We still need to follow rules gang. Please refrain from the posting of full articles from behind paywalls. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the article

Gold Coast’s emerging star Noah Anderson says he was so determined to pledge his long-term future to the club he never considered signing a deal of less than four seasons.
The Herald Sun can reveal Anderson has added another four years to his contract, with a deal set to expire at the end of this season now locked in through to October 2027.

That deal takes the 21-year-old through to free agency in a major coup for the club’s stated mission of retaining its senior core of players.Anderson could have named his price if he had put off talks until year’s end but told News Corp he wasn’t even interested in asking manager Paul Connors if there was rival interest.
“No, there was no conversation. I said I was happy here, let’s get the deal done,” Anderson said.

Despite the shock departure of Izak Rankine to Adelaide, Anderson said the Suns have built a core group of players who wouldn’t even consider returning to heartland states.

The Suns will finally be able to concentrate on their finals aspirations free of contract discussions with Ben King (2024), Jack Lukosius (2026) and Touk Miller (2027) among the club’s high-profile players to commit in the past year.

Anderson’s best mate Matt Rowell signed on for two extra seasons in December, but it is Anderson who has quickly become the Suns’ best midfielder after Miller.

He finished second to captain Miller in the best-and-fairest in an explosive season mixing centre square clearances, 549 possessions and 11 goals.

“It was a pretty easy decision for me. I have really enjoyed living up here, I am really close with the playing group and staff,” he said.
“It was only a matter of time when it rolled around and the finer details of the contract. I guess it’s happened in the last two months and it was pretty straight forward. I was really happy to get it out of the way and finished before the year starts. I wanted to park it and end all speculation.”
On the length of the four-year extension, Anderson said there was no reason to sign a shorter deal.

“I feel like in two years I would be having exactly the same conversation. I might as well be here for four years. I want to play finals. We all want to play finals.

“We are really hungry to play finals and start winning finals and ultimately win a premiership.”

Anderson admits the players were “disappointed” in Rankine’s decision but has already thrown up No.6 pick Bailey Humphrey, a powerful 185cm mid-forward, as a Round 1 smokey.

“I think the playing group was a little disappointed to lose ‘Ranks’. We had a lot of people put a lot of time into him but it’s his decision and I hope he goes well. It opens a window for players sniffing around that spot. There have been a few sniffing around in the pre-season. It’s exciting to see players like Mal Rosas and Joel Jeffrey step up.

“Bailey Humphrey looks really strong and mature as a player. He looks like he could run out there today as a first-year player. He is such a good kid.
“He is a pretty powerful athlete. He has the potential to change games and really impact games. I am so excited to play with him and learn off him and hopefully he can learn off me.”

King is being held back but has taken part in some sessions at 75 per cent intensity off his ACL tear, while Anderson says his great mate Rowell has taken another step forward after his return to form in 2022.

“He plays such an important role for our midfield and team. He missed a lot of footy and was thrown back into the AFL system and needed time to adjust. He ran a really good 2km time trial recently and he’s covering the ground really well.

“He is trying to learn a bit more about how to find some uncontested ball and sometimes he thinks only the hard stuff counts.”
You sir are a warrior of the light

Beer Salute GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he Gold Coast SUNS will take on the GWS Giants at Blacktown International Sportspark on Saturday 4th March in the AFL’s only pre-season fixture.

The official practice match is set to start at 11:10am AEST against a GIANTS outfit who will be looking to press their case for Round 1 selection in front of new Head Coach Adam Kingsley who will take charge for the first time.

Both clubs will also have a VFL hit out as a curtain raiser, with the VFL Premiership season set to start the weekend after the Toyota AFL Premiership Season commences.

Entry for the game will be free for Gold Coast SUNS members wanting to attend however the game will also be broadcast on Fox Footy and Kayo.

SUNS members will get their opportunity to get up close and personal with the team and see how pre-season preparations are going on Thursday 23rd February at the Austworld Centre Oval.

Essendon FC will travel to the Gold Coast to take part in a scratch match over six quarters (6 x 25 mins, no time on) starting from 4:00pm with SUNS members encouraged to come down and watch the unofficial fixture, free of charge.

Thursday, February 23
Gold Coast v Essendon, Austworld Oval (Carrara), 4pm local (5pm AEDT), (6 x 25 min, no time on)

Saturday, March 4
GWS Giants v Gold Coast, Blacktown International Sports Park, 12.10pm AEDT

Thursday, February 23
Gold Coast v Essendon, Austworld Oval (Carrara), 4pm local (5pm AEDT), (6 x 25 min, no time on)

Saturday, March 4
GWS Giants v Gold Coast, Blacktown International Sports Park, 12.10pm AEDT

4pm on a Thursday…WTF!!! Won’t someone think of the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back