AFLW SUNS AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Two changes to the coaching group. Jarrod Wells has been replaced by Rory Thompson as the defensive coach with Jess Sedunary replacing Jennifer Revell as forwards coach. Jess will only be in the job for the 2024 season though as she has just been announced as the new inaugural WAFLW coach and head of female football at the Perth Demons. Jess was a former AFLW player playing for Adelaide (premiership), St Kilda and West Coast.

Claudia Whitfort’s bold call on what Gold Coast Suns are capable of this AFLW season​

She’s gone from unwanted at St Kilda to a club champion on the Gold Coast. Now Claudia Whitfort is targeting an even greater prize — knocking Brisbane off its premiership perch.

“It was pretty disappointing how we lost in that first final,” Whitfort told this masthead.

“Obviously it was amazing to make finals – for myself that was the first time – but we really came back (to training) with that fire in our belly to not just make finals, but be winning them too.

“We were back training in February, so it’s been quite a while.

“Our ball movement has really improved this year – but at the moment our focus is our team defence. The premiers of the last nine seasons have all been top four in their points against, so that is a real sticking point for us this season, being really hard to score against.”

“I really think our wingers – Georgia Clayden, Clara Fitzpatrick and Annabel Kievet – are going to have a ripper year.

“They’ve been working so hard and our midfield is going to be able to use them a lot more this year. We think there’s some stars there.”

Reigning premiers Brisbane used All-Australian Sophie Conway, Orla O’Dwyer and Jade Ellenger to devastating effect last season and it is a blueprint the Suns hope to emulate.

“You see how other teams use their wingers, especially in our space a team like Brisbane who is the best at using their wings,” Whitfort said.

“We’re taking a leaf out of their book and I think that’s the main part of our game that has improved this year.”

“As much as losing the final gave us that fire in the belly, I think seeing Brisbane win the grand final lit it even more,” she said.

“I think we’re pretty fortunate to have them up the road because we get to play them so often and you’re always going to improve when you’re playing against the best.

Not watching it. Probably for the best. At our home, too. Yikes. Guess we have a few kinks to iron out…

If this was round 5 I would fire the coach.

Inside 50 deliveries exactly like boys - hopeless.

Normally, I enjoy watching girls but after tonight I am not sure I will watch again. OK, let's see how they go in round 2.

I was hopeful for this season after last year.

Got some new recruits, but also debuted some young girls. Hopefully just some teething pain and can course correct soon.

Saints dominated one quarter and that was it. Pretty savage start to the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was hopeful for this season after last year.

Got some new recruits, but also debuted some young girls. Hopefully just some teething pain and can course correct soon.

Saints dominated one quarter and that was it. Pretty savage start to the season
But we also got rid of a lot of experience too…

Im getting on the copium and say they will be the reverse of the mens team where they are unbeatable away but terrible at home

Positive: if the game was played on a field the size of a boxing ring, we would have won easily.

Otherwise: ineffective was as good as it got. Helpful to the other team was the norm. We might be the only team in the comp whose ball skills are going backwards.

Positive: if the game was played on a field the size of a boxing ring, we would have won easily.

Otherwise: ineffective was as good as it got. Helpful to the other team was the norm. We might be the only team in the comp whose ball skills are going backwards.

I don’t know why they bother playing AFLw in these big empty stadiums with zero atmosphere

Wish the commentators would stop telling us the “skill” level in the AFLW has gotten so much better. Just watched the Suns game and to be completely honest the skill level is about 10% above the Under 12’s. It’s embarrassing to watch!!

Would be interested to see this microchip evidence because the goal umpire was going to call it touched but was overturned with this so called evidence that no one can see.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW SUNS AFLW Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back