Academy: Gold Coast SUNS Gun Factory

Remove this Banner Ad

Good number of games in Vic for the U18 academy lads this year. The more games in the best U18 comp in the country, the better.

Does make it hard for the boys coming back to clubland, as if they are core playing members of this squad, they won’t return to local clubs until the end of May.

View attachment 1606913
Where did you find this?

So it's essentially another All Stars game like the one they play on the Grand Final but this time it's the AFL Academy under 18s split into two teams during Gather Round?

From memory Rogers was pretty lively in last year's U17s All Stars game and Walter was quiet by his standards. I distinctly remember Read showing off his below the knees skills and we were all pretty impressed by what we saw.
I don’t believe so.

The All Star game on Grand Final day is not the AFL academy split in two. It’s 50 of the best prospects available, nominated by club recruiters, and not all the best kids play in it. Harley Reid didn’t play, as he had just played a couple of days prior for Vic Country. Nor did the WA kids who were in the WAFL colts final that weekend.

The AFL academy team traditionally play against a VFL U21 side and the next week against one of the VFL teams, early in the season.

Not sure who they’ll play in Gather Round. Might be a SANFL team, or SA U21 team.

I don’t believe so.

The All Star game on Grand Final day is not the AFL academy split in two. It’s 50 of the best prospects available, nominated by club recruiters, and not all the best kids play in it. Harley Reid didn’t play, as he had just played a couple of days prior for Vic Country. Nor did the WA kids who were in the WAFL colts final that weekend.

The AFL academy team traditionally play against a VFL U21 side and the next week against one of the VFL teams, early in the season.

Not sure who they’ll play in Gather Round. Might be a SANFL team, or SA U21 team.
That would make sense. Probably some kind of SANFL team that they'll assemble.

Hi all, I'm working on the 2023 Northern Academies thread over on the draft board.

Need some clarity on your Academy coaching staff. Men & Women
National Academy Manager: Tarykn Lochyer but after that I've got nothing - can someone help me out?

AFLW thread will be up shortly.

Hi all, I'm working on the 2023 Northern Academies thread over on the draft board.

Need some clarity on your Academy coaching staff. Men & Women
National Academy Manager: Tarykn Lochyer but after that I've got nothing - can someone help me out?

AFLW thread will be up shortly.

Here are the female ones

Has Spida moved back to QLD and what’s James Frawley doing up there?

The U18s academy team had a training session tonight. Walter, Read, Rogers and Lombard all appeared to be there. Walter looks absolutely massive when compared to other boys his age and was slotting goals with ease. He's also a bit of a showman and didn't mind celebrating when he kicked a goal even though it was training :D Read was late to the track which probably means he's nursing some kind of niggle but still appeared to take part. Lombard was on the sidelines in a training t-shirt (as opposed to the singlet like everyone else) doing a few drills with the coaches and one or two other players. My guess would be Lombard is recovering from something and taking it easy. Rogers was there but nothing to report. The academy match against Brisbane next Sunday should be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The U18s academy team had a training session tonight. Walter, Read, Rogers and Lombard all appeared to be there. Walter looks absolutely massive when compared to other boys his age and was slotting goals with ease. He's also a bit of a showman and didn't mind celebrating when he kicked a goal even though it was training :D Read was late to the track which probably means he's nursing some kind of niggle but still appeared to take part. Lombard was on the sidelines in a training t-shirt (as opposed to the singlet like everyone else) doing a few drills with the coaches and one or two other players. My guess would be Lombard is recovering from something and taking it easy. Rogers was there but nothing to report. The academy match against Brisbane next Sunday should be interesting.

I'm assuming Nank has returned to Victoria for schooling/Oakleigh Chargers.

I'm assuming Nank has returned to Victoria for schooling/Oakleigh Chargers.
Didn't see him but admittedly wasn't looking for him either so it's possible he was there. They'd already be several weeks into the first term down in Victoria so I assume Nancarrow has returned south. When does the APS football season typically start?

Interestingly it looks like the Everitts are still here so they are either waiting to move to Vic or have ditched their plans and are staying on the Goldy. Probably would be better for us if Boston stays on the GC and is less inclined to nominated for F/S with St Kilda next year (assuming he's good enough to be drafted).

I was told Lombard had his front teeth knocked out in a training drill etc - the boys are going in very hard from all reports! Ethan Reid managing a small knee issue but nothing major. It looks like the strongest U18 squad we've ever and that's a good thing. The upcoming games will be very good to get an idea as to just how strong the boys are.

Didn't see him but admittedly wasn't looking for him either so it's possible he was there. They'd already be several weeks into the first term down in Victoria so I assume Nancarrow has returned south. When does the APS football season typically start?

Interestingly it looks like the Everitts are still here so they are either waiting to move to Vic or have ditched their plans and are staying on the Goldy. Probably would be better for us if Boston stays on the GC and is less inclined to nominated for F/S with St Kilda next year (assuming he's good enough to be drafted).
From what I've been told Nancarrow and Everitt will only play in the Melbourne games - that's why they are not sighted up here. Spida still has his radio show and commutes I believe. It's a good sign thought that he's helping the U18s!!

I was told Lombard had his front teeth knocked out in a training drill etc - the boys are going in very hard from all reports! Ethan Reid managing a small knee issue but nothing major. It looks like the strongest U18 squad we've ever and that's a good thing. The upcoming games will be very good to get an idea as to just how strong the boys are.
From what I've been told Nancarrow and Everitt will only play in the Melbourne games - that's why they are not sighted up here. Spida still has his radio show and commutes I believe. It's a good sign thought that he's helping the U18s!!
Cheers for the context. Very interested to hear how the boys go against Brisbane next week in their first real hit out of the year. If we really do have three top 30 draft picks coming through this year then you'd have to think they'd comfortably beat the Lions who don't appear to have any notable academy players that are draft eligible this year.

Cheers for the context. Very interested to hear how the boys go against Brisbane next week in their first real hit out of the year. If we really do have three top 30 draft picks coming through this year then you'd have to think they'd comfortably beat the Lions who don't appear to have any notable academy players that are draft eligible this year.
We have one.

Billy Richardson. Key defender. He’s a late December birth, but is as big and as athletic as Walter.

Edit. Our more likely draftees at this stage look to be in the next few drafts, after this year.

We have one.

Billy Richardson. Key defender. He’s a late December birth, but is as big and as athletic as Walter.

Edit. Our more likely draftees at this stage look to be in the next few drafts, after this year.
Does Richardson look draftable though? Our three guys are all in the AFL's National Academy program and being talked about as potential top 30 picks but there's a fourth player named Will Graham that may or may not be draftable and I thought that was essentially where Brisbane's best academy player sat this year aka either a late pick or a chance to be rookied. Walter and Rogers appear to be likely top 20 picks (at this stage) and Read appears to be ranked in the 20-30 range right now; hence the reason I suggested our academy team should comfortably beat Brisbane next weekend if all three play. Some have even said Walters is a likely top 5 pick and I don't think either Queensland academy has had a junior come through that was rated that highly in their draft year so we're really breaking new ground here with these guys. There's also a few bottom agers that will likely take part like 2022 U16 All-Australian Leo Lombard. If the scouting notes are to be believed, this year's Suns academy team will be our strongest ever and I think it would be fair to say Brisbane's 2023 academy team has not been talked about in the same vein.

Where and what time is the game?
According to SUN OF A GUN , the game will be played at the Austworld Oval (the one next to Metricon) at 10:30am this coming Sunday. There appears to also be a reverse fixture at Springfield on March 12 at midday as well as a third match at the Austworld Oval on May 14 at 1:00pm. I know details about Brisbane's academy are extremely scarce so hopefully this helps you generate some conversation on your board.

Does Richardson look draftable though? Our three guys are all in the AFL's National Academy program and being talked about as potential top 30 picks but there's a fourth player named Will Graham that may or may not be draftable and I thought that was essentially where Brisbane's best academy player sat this year aka either a late pick or a chance to be rookied. Walter and Rogers appear to be likely top 20 picks (at this stage) and Read appears to be ranked in the 20-30 range right now; hence the reason I suggested our academy team should comfortably beat Brisbane next weekend if all three play. Some have even said Walters is a likely top 5 pick and I don't think either Queensland academy has had a junior come through that was rated that highly in their draft year so we're really breaking new ground here with these guys. There's also a few bottom agers that will likely take part like 2022 U16 All-Australian Leo Lombard. If the scouting notes are to be believed, this year's Suns academy team will be our strongest ever and I think it would be fair to say Brisbane's 2023 academy team has not been talked about in the same vein.

According to SUN OF A GUN , the game will be played at the Austworld Oval (the one next to Metricon) at 10:30am this coming Sunday. There appears to also be a reverse fixture at Springfield on March 12 at midday as well as a third match at the Austworld Oval on May 14 at 1:00pm. I know details about Brisbane's academy are extremely scarce so hopefully this helps you generate some conversation on your board.
Yes, Richardson looks draftable, otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned him.

He was named in the U16 AA team last year, as an overager. As I mentioned he’s a late December birthday, so they obviously took that in to consideration when including him.

Yes, Richardson looks draftable, otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned him.

He was named in the U16 AA team last year, as an overager. As I mentioned he’s a late December birthday, so they obviously took that in to consideration when including him.
Fair enough. I'd still expect a team with multiple U18 AFL National Academy members to comfortably beat a team whose best player was an U16 AA last year. Especially considering we have a few U16 & U15 AAs ourselves like Leo Lombard, Jai Murray and Beau Addinsall.

Pretty sure your academy is expecting some standouts to come through in the 2025/26 period but not so much 2023/24 when ours are coming through. Luckily you've got another born and raised Gold Coaster in Levi Ashcroft coming through your father-son pathway next year so you guys will be fine.

Thinking about it, a Queensland State of Origin team could be really strong in a few years from now if you think about who we would already possess as well as the talent that's coming through over the next few years. I'd certainly be interested to see the Maroons run out against a team like South Australia who appear weaker these days.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I'd still expect a team with multiple U18 AFL National Academy members to comfortably beat a team whose best player was an U16 AA last year. Especially considering we have a few U16 & U15 AAs ourselves like Leo Lombard, Jai Murray and Beau Addinsall.

Pretty sure your academy is expecting some standouts to come through in the 2025/26 period but not so much 2023/24 when ours are coming through. Luckily you've got another born and raised Gold Coaster in Levi Ashcroft coming through your father-son pathway next year so you guys will be fine.

Thinking about it, a Queensland State of Origin team could be ridiculously strong in a few years from now if you think about who we would already possess as well as the talent that's coming through over the next few years. I'd certainly be interested to see the Maroons run out against a team like South Australia who appear weaker these days.
Wasn’t even attempting to discuss the potential result of the academy matches.

Just saying we have one kid I’m confident will get drafted this year (nor have I speculated on his draft range), that is all.

Can someone explain to me how drafting your own academy players works again? How can the Suns retain their academy talent like Rogers and Walter, etc? Sorry, I've only been a footy fan for about 3 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back