Mega Thread General MFC Discussion Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for your response.

Yes, the bump is dead. Sure, the rule is you can bump but if you choose to bump and hit your opponent high then you'll get a long suspension. And thus, players are taught to not bump anymore. This is clear. Hence the bump has been dead for years.

Tackling is also dead. You can't sling tackle anymore, you can't even do chase down tackles from behind and if you saw this season with the embarassing suspensions of James Sicily and Callan Ward who both got suspended for normal tackles. Embarassing stuff by the afl. You basically can't tackle a player to ground anymore. It's hardly even a tough sport anymore. Recruiters will just start to recruit runners and athletes soon.

Sicily got 3 weeks for a standard, soft tackle with no intent. The tackle is dead or in the process of dying.

If the afl is obsessed with protecting the head, why don't we ban players from jumping for marks? as players often get knees in the back of the head.

'The tackle is dead': Mundy, Langdon weigh in on AFL's harsh penalties

I'm not sure I'd be cherry picking outcomes from the wildly inconsistent tribunal as evidence for your assertions - Particularly when you remember Maynard received nothing. That's a whole other kettle of fish there.

Also, this season there was nearly 4 times as many tackles as there was in the 1988 season. The tackle isn't dead.

I'd been keen to see the stats on players concussed from a knee in the back of the head in the marking contest in relation to all the other incidents, I would wager it's a tiny percentage.

'Hardly even a tough sport anymore' is just a silly comment. Ask Jack Viney if he thinks that. That's just old timer romanticising vibes because you think punch ons are the peak of sporting toughness.

I'm not sure I'd be cherry picking outcomes from the wildly inconsistent tribunal as evidence for your assertions - Particularly when you remember Maynard received nothing. That's a whole other kettle of fish there.

Also, this season there was nearly 4 times as many tackles as there was in the 1988 season. The tackle isn't dead.

I'd been keen to see the stats on players concussed from a knee in the back of the head in the marking contest in relation to all the other incidents, I would wager it's a tiny percentage.

'Hardly even a tough sport anymore' is just a silly comment. Ask Jack Viney if he thinks that. That's just old timer romanticising vibes because you think punch ons are the peak of sporting toughness.
I just showed you a direct quite of our head coach saying the 'bump is dead'. A direct quote.

And a quote from 300 gamer David Mundy saying the tackle is also dead.

What else do you want?
And can you please answer my questions. I asked you about players jumping for marks etc.

I just showed you a direct quite of our head coach saying the 'bump is dead'. A direct quote.

And a quote from 300 gamer David Mundy saying the tackle is also dead.

What else do you want?
And can you please answer my questions. I asked you about players jumping for marks etc.

And I provided you with stats telling you there were 4 times as many tackles this season as there were in the 'glory days' of '88.

I also answered your question in regards to marks by asking for the data as clearly you only ever provide empty rhetoric and platitudes in your pining for the good old days when the game wasn't soft.

PS - Did you actually read the full article from that Goodwin quote? He said bumps will still happen and the game is all about tackling. Lol.

And I provided you with stats telling you there were 4 times as many tackles this season as there were in the 'glory days' of '88.

I also answered your question in regards to marks by asking for the data as clearly you only ever provide empty rhetoric and platitudes in your pining for the good old days when the game wasn't soft.

PS - Did you actually read the full article from that Goodwin quote? He said bumps will still happen and the game is all about tackling. Lol.
yeah, there's lie on top of the pack tackles and there's real, body crunching tackles. The stats mean little.

mate, you said the bump wasn't dead and the head coach says 'the bump is dead'. Yes, it will take some re-wiring for the players who have grown up bumping to get it out of their system. so there will be the odd bump here and there in a full year of football.

Yes, the players will be instructed to tackle and not bump. But they will be instructed to nurse the opponent down to the ground, whispering sweat nothing's to them and cushion their fall. It's a total embarrassment.

I would say a player gets kneed in the back of the head in a marking contest every week. It doesn't have to be a concussion, but a head knock.

So ultimately, the bump is dead, the tackle is dead (unless you want to include where players hug each other and keep them upright or nurse them to the ground as tackles) and in a few years they will ban jumping for marks with a leading knee.

If you want to protect the head further, that's the next step.

And that's why the game is soft now.

yeah, there's lie on top of the pack tackles and there's real, body crunching tackles. The stats mean little.

mate, you said the bump wasn't dead and the head coach says 'the bump is dead'. Yes, it will take some re-wiring for the players who have grown up bumping to get it out of their system. so there will be the odd bump here and there in a full year of football.

Yes, the players will be instructed to tackle and not bump. But they will be instructed to nurse the opponent down to the ground, whispering sweat nothing's to them and cushion their fall. It's a total embarrassment.

There's just as many opinion pieces out there saying the bump isn't dead as there are saying it is dead. You seem to enjoy dealing purely in opinion but I like to have some facts to back it up. That's where we differ in our discussion.

You said the tackle was dead, I provided you with the data to say that the complete opposite is true.

And again, if you actually read more than the headline, Goody goes on to say there will still be bumps.

Honestly mate, I'm gonna tap out, you seem to just want to rant about clickbait style opinions and headlines without any substance to your actual points. Cheers.

There's just as many opinion pieces out there saying the bump isn't dead as there are saying it is dead. You seem to enjoy dealing purely in opinion but I like to have some facts to back it up. That's where we differ in our discussion.

You said the tackle was dead, I provided you with the data to say that the complete opposite is true.

And again, if you actually read more than the headline, Goody goes on to say there will still be bumps.

Honestly mate, I'm gonna tap out, you seem to just want to rant about clickbait style opinions and headlines without any substance to your actual points. Cheers.
ok sure. link me to 2 articles saying the bump isn't dead and I'll show you 10 saying the bump is dead.

showing a few bumps here and there across a 23 round season doesn't prove anything. Coaches have already come out and said that they instruct their players not to bump.

View attachment 1872781
Coaches instruct their players not to bump because there's little tactical advantage compared to tackling, and the risk of being rubbed out if you endanger another person's health is too high.

The only reason the bump was encouraged in the first place is because it was legal to attempt to maim the opposition's best players, which was a tactical advantage.

Cherry picking a few bumps across a 23 round season proves everything if all of those bumps were between the shoulders and knees and within 5m of the ball. That's what the rule has always been, it's just finally being enforced. The bump isn't dead. There's just a few players who can actually pull off a proper bump, but they can use it well.

Other examples are Flying Ryan on Maynard, or Kozzie on Dunkley in the GF. I could find more and more. You just remember the ones resulting in suspension because they get more air time.

That bump by Kozzie on Smith wasn't tough, it was stupid and poorly executed with 0 tactical advantage other than trying to injure another player. I expect Simple Simon to pronounce the bump dead, as I doubt he can adapt from the interpretation of the bump from his playing days.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

my heart goes out to these people that are suffering brain injuries but I also don't want the game to become any more soft than it already is. it's already an absolute embarrassment that the bump is dead and now the tackle is basically dead now too. You have to basically place them on the grass now, tuck them in and sing them a lullaby to make sure you don't get suspended. It's a joke.

But how come the afl can't get around the CTE stuff like sports like ice hockey, UFC, boxing etc.? I've never understood how afl is the only club in capable of getting around it? Can't they just sign waivers and be done with it?

Also, I thought CTE could only be confirmed after death?
AFL isn't the only sport incapable of getting around it for starters. American football has changed and junior soccer is stopping heading of the ball. Boxing isn't a club sport or league, who would they sue for starters?

Sign waivers and get around it? Lol

I'm in the camp of modern day players not being able to protect themselves correctly. But the hits of the 90's while kind of entertaining it is good that they are gone.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard bumps and tackles are still permitted, just the current players are muppets who don't know how to do it without massaging their opponents face.

Look at Sydney Stack's hit on Viney as evidence the bump isn't dead.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol you gotta pick a bump from years ago because that's how rare they are. The bumps dead as ****

AFL isn't the only sport incapable of getting around it for starters. American football has changed and junior soccer is stopping heading of the ball. Boxing isn't a club sport or league, who would they sue for starters?

Sign waivers and get around it? Lol you are a deadset dickhead sometimes (edit most times). Especially being the same bloke who socks about the s**t you do

I'm in the camp of modern day players not being able to protect themselves correctly. But the hits of the 90's while kind of entertaining it is good that they are gone.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
keep the name calling out of it.

When you play afl you know that it's a contact sport. Sure, keep the sniping out of it but now we have got to a point where players are being trained to not tackle opponents to the ground. So we're watching a sport where a guy like Viney has to hug a guy and stop him from falling in order to avoid the risk of his head hitting the ground. Its a massive over correction.

And why do you think that sports like ufc have taken off around the world. It's because people like the physicality. Footy is basically marginally more physical than basketball now. You can't bump, soon tackling players to the ground will be coached out of the players, you can't chop the arms (not a bad rule but some of the contact free kicks they call for over the shoulder are incredibly soft), the in the back rules are soft (player just lunging forward trying to earn frees), the ruck circle rule came in so that ruckman don't hurt their knees so they now can only take about 3 steps when running in. Gone are the days where ruckman could run and jump high.
So yes, the afl is doing a great job at reducing injuries but they've also changed turned the game into an absolute sideshow where guys like Weightman and Ginnivan have earned careers out of exploiting the softness of the game.

Why do you think in finals footy they put the whistle away? because the afl understand it's better to let things go. it's not a coincidence. In 5 years time, the inside bulls like Viney won't be drafted. They'll be picking running types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read an article saying the AFL is clamping down on run down tackles. So you have to be more careful now with those. I can tell you having lived overseas for a while now AFL will never take off with how much they've softened it. It's basically soccer now.

Lol ah yes, AFL will never take off internationally because it's now 'soft', just like the biggest sport in the world. Makes sense.

No one cares about it taking off internationally, even the AFL execs have given up on that.

But yeah, I remember how absolutely huge footy was internationally in the 80s when it was super tough.

🤣

This slid under the radar a little:

The Demons will aim to improve on their AFL attack in 2024 by adding more to Troy Chaplin’s plate and putting him in charge of transition attack, as well as defence, in a bid to move the ball quickly and put up bigger scores.

The Dees managed just 16 goals combined in two losing finals last season and coach Simon Goodwin said the coaching group had since heavily reviewed the finals series.

Lol ah yes, AFL will never take off internationally because it's now 'soft', just like the biggest sport in the world. Makes sense.

No one cares about it taking off internationally, even the AFL execs have given up on that.

But yeah, I remember how absolutely huge footy was internationally in the 80s when it was super tough.

🤣
Soccer is the biggest sport in the world and it's soft af. AFL will never take off internationally, and I'm more than happy about that. Protecting the head will only get more and more prevalent as more and more past players come out with brain issues.

Soccer is the biggest and most important sport on Planet Earth. Soccer is the WORLD GAME and is massive in over 240 countries. Every nation on Earth loves Soccer. AFL is only big in one country.

I tell you this my brothers, soccer will be the number 1 sport in Australia by the year 2070 A.D. Soccer will be the most popular sport in every country on earth by 2100 A.D.

Soccer is the biggest and most important sport on Planet Earth. Soccer is the WORLD GAME and is massive in over 240 countries. Every nation on Earth loves Soccer. AFL is only big in one country.

I tell you this my brothers, soccer will be the number 1 sport in Australia by the year 2070 A.D. Soccer will be the most popular sport in every country on earth by 2100 A.D.
Is that that ****ing nut case who posts on every AFL YouTube lol

Coaches instruct their players not to bump because there's little tactical advantage compared to tackling, and the risk of being rubbed out if you endanger another person's health is too high.

Well that's just plain wrong, completely ignoring the Shephard which has died out of the game. Bump also was used as a way to move someone off the line of the ball before it's been gathered. Now blokes just stand around waiting to tackle the person

Absolutely made the game a way worse spectacle

No it won't

NFL will always remain number 1 in US, AFL the same here. Ditto cricket in the sub continent and baseball in Japan. The big reason being the elite talent in those sports predominantly play in those countries/areas

Is that that ******* nut case who posts on every AFL YouTube lol
Yeah that guy lmao. Imagine feeling that insecure about your sport, you gotta post on over like 1000 AFL youtube videos (Some with very minimal view counts). It's also not like soccer isn't well off, but bro really wants it to dominate

No it won't

NFL will always remain number 1 in US, AFL the same here. Ditto cricket in the sub continent and baseball in Japan. The big reason being the elite talent in those sports predominantly play in those countries/areas
Bluelegs is referring joking to this soccer guy that for a period posted on lots of AFL videos

idk if this is him as he changes his name and shit, but this is the right time period and the right language he'd use
soccernut.PNG

Bluelegs is referring joking to this soccer guy that for a period posted on lots of AFL videos

idk if this is him as he changes his name and s**t, but this is the right time period and the right language he'd use
View attachment 1874698
I'm pretty sure he switches it up a fair bit which makes it even funnier to me. Making the effort to type it out every time from scratch instead of just copy and paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back