Player Watch Luke Pedlar

Will Luke Pedlar be in at the first centre bounce of the 2024 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you forgotten Nicks started Sloane in the midfield against the Swans, despite Sloanes form sucking and started Pedlar as sub?
Pedlar as the sub was understandable and Nicks isn't infallible (doubt he would play him in the midfield had Rachele or Soligo not been cooked toward the end of the season), just like you aren't infallible by incorrectly saying he can't coach.

Last edited:
Yes he was unfit. He's had some continuity now though. Last I heard Pedlar was still mostly training with the forwards. That's gutless from Nicks. I doubt Ogilvie spent a first rounder on an aggressive midfielder like Pedlar because he wanted a forward.
He training in the mid as well, as was during match sim this week.

Regardless, Pedlar can kick goals, which is valuable in a points based game.

You really have some weird opinions, talking about Nicks being gutless.

I bet you'd never say that to his face.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He training in the mid as well, as was during match sim this week.

Regardless, Pedlar can kick goals, which is valuable in a points based game.

You really have some weird opinions, talking about Nicks being gutless.

I bet you'd never say that to his face.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wouldn't be impolite if I bumped into him. I wouldn't want to risk him playing Sloane at every CBA just to spite me.

Pedlar as the sub was understandable and Nicks isn't infallible (doubt he would play him in the midfield had Rachele or Soligo not been cooked toward the end of the season), just like you aren't infallible by incorrectly saying he can't coach.
Why was it understandable and why Sloane given Sloanes poor form?

Soligo cooked? 20 touches at the Gabba, 28 against Swans, 24 against West Coast.

One thing that is infallible is your basic football knowledge.

I’ve said he can’t coach? I’ve given him credit for stuff he’s done well, I’ve criticised some selections and his game plan in 2022.

Yes he was unfit. He's had some continuity now though. Last I heard Pedlar was still mostly training with the forwards. That's gutless from Nicks. I doubt Ogilvie spent a first rounder on an aggressive midfielder like Pedlar because he wanted a forward.

That's sensible team management at this point, not gutless.

After all, there are bigger priorities then Pedlar for midfield time right now, with the case in point being Rachele (or Rankine, but so far we've seemed to prefer Rachele). Which also does take the position Pedlar would have got if we were going down that route of a mid-forward. Another major priority is Soligo to round out our midfield unit as really, five inside midfielders is bang on ideal. Equally, Pedlar has only got through one full season and a consolidation season to build upon what he has done is also likely to produce the best results long term. It's still developing him to become a midfielder because ultimately every non KP/ruck position develops for inside midfield and with our forward line getting a bit lighter this year (i.e. Rachele or Rankine shouldn't be spending as much time there), it should give him some to build upon his 2023 - plus second year blues are a thing for the year after someone bursts onto the scene which also needs to be accounted for.

What Ogilvie thought he was drafting is irrelevant 5 minutes after he calls their name out at the draft. He's there to draft players that fit what Nicks wants, and unless they are club defining talents (hello Dawson), every player is at the whim of what the club needs/gameplan/structures. The good news for Ogilvie is Pedlar is a successful pick as long as he's a best 22 player.

I
That's sensible team management at this point, not gutless.

After all, there are bigger priorities then Pedlar for midfield time right now, with the case in point being Rachele (or Rankine, but so far we've seemed to prefer Rachele). Which also does take the position Pedlar would have got if we were going down that route of a mid-forward. Another major priority is Soligo to round out our midfield unit as really, five inside midfielders is bang on ideal. Equally, Pedlar has only got through one full season and a consolidation season to build upon what he has done is also likely to produce the best results long term. It's still developing him to become a midfielder because ultimately every non KP/ruck position develops for inside midfield and with our forward line getting a bit lighter this year (i.e. Rachele or Rankine shouldn't be spending as much time there), it should give him some to build upon his 2023 - plus second year blues are a thing for the year after someone bursts onto the scene which also needs to be accounted for.

What Ogilvie thought he was drafting is irrelevant 5 minutes after he calls their name out at the draft. He's there to draft players that fit what Nicks wants, and unless they are club defining talents (hello Dawson), every player is at the whim of what the club needs/gameplan/structures. The good news for Ogilvie is Pedlar is a successful pick as long as he's a best 22 player.
Isn’t the club on record saying they will draft talent over positions?

Why was it understandable and why Sloane given Sloanes poor form?

Soligo cooked? 20 touches at the Gabba, 28 against Swans, 24 against West Coast.

One thing that is infallible is your basic football knowledge.

I’ve said he can’t coach? I’ve given him credit for stuff he’s done well, I’ve criticised some selections and his game plan in 2022.
I don't recall Soligo playing full midfield like he did in the first 8 weeks and my basic football knowledge told you there was a game plan in 2022.

Anywhere on the field is bad. That’s Hinge’s and Milera’s spot. Both a lot more potent than Sloane.
Just take a step back and breath dude, Milera was on the sidelines, it was inter club so there were 4 half back roles.

What's important is versatility of our players, and a versatile Sloane is part of that.

Also important that 6 centre on ball roles were also being filled at the same time.

Just take a step back and breath dude, Milera was on the sidelines, it was inter club so there were 4 half back roles.

What's important is versatility of our players, and a versatile Sloane is part of that.

Also important that 6 centre on ball roles were also being filled at the same time.
Who are you to tell me to take a step back and breathe? You don’t know me or my emotions. Which were calm.
My point is Sloane has no right anywhere on the field when we have so much younger talent either better or worth giving a shot at different spots, dude..

ron burgundy GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I

Isn’t the club on record saying they will draft talent over positions?

Probably, the thing is you can't draft for positions in any meaningful manner unless you're dealing with a guy who is ready right now for a role. After all, your list composition can change on a dime in a year if players break out, or get shuffled.

I don't recall Soligo playing full midfield like he did in the first 8 weeks and my basic football knowledge told you there was a game plan in 2022.
If Soligo was cooked, he’s not getting those possessions unless you think he just sat there and the ball keep coming to him. Is that what your basic football knowledge is telling you happened? What position was Soligo playing to get those possessions?

Yeah you did and it was a shit game plan. Concentrating on defence by pushing our forwards up taught our players nothing, it was a bandaid to try and limit the size of the defeats as soon as we had a couple of bad losses.

As soon as we became more attacking in 2023 and that safety blanket was removed we leaked goals anyway. Guess what the focus is now? Working on our defence. Hang on, what was 2022 all about then?

Eh? Soligo played wing throughout 2023 and most of 2022.

Who are you to tell me to take a step back and breathe? You don’t know me or my emotions. Which were calm.
My point is Sloane has no right anywhere on the field when we have so much younger talent either better or worth giving a shot at different spots, dude..
Your attack on Sloane was unwarranted- it was club training ffs

Your attack on Sloane was unwarranted- it was club training ffs
Once again your assumptions of my posts are just that, your assumptions.
It was not an attack on Sloane, just my personal opinion that we have better players in EVERY position in the field than Sloane.
His only role should be getting drunk at the pub on game day and cheering the team on. Ffs…

Probably, the thing is you can't draft for positions in any meaningful manner unless you're dealing with a guy who is ready right now for a role. After all, your list composition can change on a dime in a year if players break out, or get shuffled.
Yeah I agree, I think it is the wrong philosophy to draft talent first.
We will have to see how the years unfold.

It was not an attack on Sloane, just my personal opinion that we have better players in EVERY position in the field than Sloane.
His only role should be getting drunk at the pub on game day and cheering the team on. Ffs…
We shouldn't have given him another contract but we did so I'd say his role should be mentoring younger players in our SANFL side.

The club has been fairly transparent on this for a while. They go into the draft with a player order and stick to it fairly rigidly until maybe their final selection. However, that player order is influenced (at least a bit) by needs.

So if they're looking for midfielders, their order will skew towards midfielders, but they'll still take a key position player if he is the highest option on their list still available at their pick.

If Soligo was cooked, he’s not getting those possessions unless you think he just sat there and the ball keep coming to him. Is that what your basic football knowledge is telling you happened? What position was Soligo playing to get those possessions?

Yeah you did and it was a s**t game plan. Concentrating on defence by pushing our forwards up taught our players nothing, it was a bandaid to try and limit the size of the defeats as soon as we had a couple of bad losses.

As soon as we became more attacking in 2023 and that safety blanket was removed we leaked goals anyway. Guess what the focus is now? Working on our defence. Hang on, what was 2022 all about then?
You didn't see the attacking ball movement which I called you up and then you changed mind to Nicks can coach ;) Well, playing full midfield is different, just ask Sloane......
1706076295108.png

Last edited:
I know what you're saying.

You didn't see the attacking ball movement which I called you up and then you changed mind to Nicks can coach ;) Well, playing full midfield is different, just ask Sloane......
View attachment 1891779
In 2022, no didn’t see much after the first few rounds when we scored some good wins then panicked and went defensive.

Do wingman cover much ground? How did Soligo get all his possessions if he was cooked? What are you trying to prove with the attached?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Luke Pedlar

Back