Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

While they might be the best to deal with in regards to picks, why are Hawthorn into Smith?

They’ve got a stack of young midfieid options and are seemingly crying out for key position talent.

Sam Mitchell (like Clarko) also seems to favour those that excel by foot.

So they’re now all in on a 23-24yo who can murder the pill when kicking and the same guy had his worst season before doing a knee.

I’m not buying it.

It’ll be Geelong or Smith signs with us until FA.
I just wonder how other players feel if they have been told a player is going to a certain club way back in March. I also heard that Geelong are right into Oliver, does his team mates know he is leaving to Geelong too.

I also think back to the savage way Brisbane players reacted to the release of Neale supposedly going back to Freo when it was reported late in the season, and found to be untrue.

Personally, I don’t think he has yet made up his mind, but seeing the team going well improves our chances of retaining him, the reverse for a rapidly ageing Geelong. I also wonder if the interest from Hawthorn is cooling, with their rapid development, do they really need him?

A lot has changed since March.

I just wonder how other players feel if they have been told a player is going to a certain club way back in March. I also heard that Geelong are right into Oliver, does his team mates know he is leaving to Geelong too.

I also think back to the savage way Brisbane players reacted to the release of Neale supposedly going back to Freo when it was reported late in the season, and found to be untrue.

Personally, I don’t think he has yet made up his mind, but seeing the team going well improves our chances of retaining him, the reverse for a rapidly ageing Geelong. I also wonder if the interest from Hawthorn is cooling, with their rapid development, do they really need him?

A lot has changed since March.
Spot on.

I’ve never understood the Hawthorn link and honestly don’t think it’s ever been there. Them going chips-in on Smith makes zero sense.

I think since doing his knee, that we’ve been in the box-seat to keep him short term/until Free Agency. There’d be something more concrete about if the rival offers hadn’t cooled.

That’s probably how it plays out imo, unless he’s adamant on leaving us.

Or maybe, you know, just be able to say to the player:

"You want to play the big marquee matches? in front of 70,000, 80,000 fans half a dozen times through the year? Well, how many blockbusters do the Dogs get, eh? Yeah, exactly."

"Yep, just sign there. No, not there. Down the bottom. That's it. Good lad! You're gonna love it."

But haven't you heard? The AFL is all about equalisation? You know, giving all clubs opportunities?

They would never say take a 'marquee match' off a club that has no marquee matches to give to another club that has plenty. No, they wouldn't do that 🙄

We received F1, pick 21 and other picks that net out to a late second/early 3rd. Together, that's worth a pick in the top 10 absolutely, especially when Brisbane's pick had a chance of being a lot better than it was before they eventually made the GF.
That's one way of looking at the Dunkley deal.

Last edited:
I think the expectations this board has on players is way too high.

Is Smith a good kick? No. Does he find the footy, tackle hard, kick goals and run out games? Absolutely. We’ve been spoilt having Bontempelli and Liberatore for a decade, midfielders who have little to no weakness.

Seems like anyone else we’ve had seems to get unfairly criticised in here. Happened to Dunkley with his kicking, happened to Macrae with his pace, now it’s happening with Smith.

Kinda like people who think English is no good cos he isn’t Max Gawn or Brodie Grundy.. we’ve set the standard way too high.

In saying all that for team balance turning Smith into Barras and Vlastuin would be great.

I hate reporting on Barass news due to the past false shit posted here… but… I’ll make an exception.

During the weekend whilst WCE were over here I can report that a few of our staff members (who weren’t on holiday) met up with him for a private meeting.

IF he leaves, I am lead to believe we are in the box seat.

I think the expectations this board has on players is way too high.

Is Smith a good kick? No. Does he find the footy, tackle hard, kick goals and run out games? Absolutely. We’ve been spoilt having Bontempelli and Liberatore for a decade, midfielders who have little to no weakness.

Seems like anyone else we’ve had seems to get unfairly criticised in here. Happened to Dunkley with his kicking, happened to Macrae with his pace, now it’s happening with Smith.

Kinda like people who think English is no good cos he isn’t Max Gawn or Brodie Grundy.. we’ve set the standard way too high.

In saying all that for team balance turning Smith into Barras and Vlastuin would be great.
I think most accept Smith is a very good player. It’s just that he’d already been squeezed out of the middle on form, and now Richards has come through as well.

He’s good but just probably not worth to us the kind of money he probably wants.

I hate reporting on Barass news due to the past false shit posted here… but… I’ll make an exception.

During the weekend whilst WCE were over here I can report that a few of our staff members (who weren’t on holiday) met up with him for a private meeting.

:):)

A very left field idea. Let’s trade Lobb to Melbourne for an unhappy Petracca with a trade of picks attached. Watched Petracca on Kayo last night and didn’t seem very happy at all. The ideas of getting Barrass with Bailey Smiths pick, or Busslinger are very appealing too.
I reckon Petracca is the kind of player you’d sack a coach for… he’s their Bont. They’d sack Goodwin before trading him.

I think most accept Smith is a very good player. It’s just that he’d already been squeezed out of the middle on form, and now Richards has come through as well.

He’s good but just probably not worth to us the kind of money he probably wants.
Agreed, he'll be on $1.1m+ at a minimum wherever he ends up, we should not pay that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been told we are BALLS DEEP into him

A very left field idea. Let’s trade Lobb to Melbourne for an unhappy Petracca with a trade of picks attached. Watched Petracca on Kayo last night and didn’t seem very happy at all. The ideas of getting Barrass with Bailey Smiths pick, or Busslinger are very appealing too.

Imagine a starting midfield of Bont, Ed, Trac.

Holyyy fu*******

Great news!

Lobb's value in such a scenario (which will never happen) would be equivalent to putting a very small ribbon on top of a giant expensive package, given the multiple first rounders we'd need to be sending Melbourne's way for a long term contracted genuine superstar.

Either Edmund has read your post or he has heard other news but reported on SEN this morning that clubs believe he’s gettable. His manager is seeking an extra two years according to Edmund (making it a 5 year deal).

Either Edmund has read your post or he has heard other news but reported on SEN this morning that clubs believe he’s gettable. His manager is seeking an extra two years according to Edmund (making it a 5 year deal).
Of course he read it….he posted about it only a few posts above you 😜….hi Sam 😁

I was the first to mention our interest on here about Barrass a few years back. It seems we are still very much interested. Funny, how sometimes trades are years in the making. Eg Stef Martin haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back