MVP 2024 Most Valuable Giant (MVG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The Most Valuable Giant (MVG) voting is back again for 2024.

We're going to go with the same voting system for our GWS BigFooty Board MVP as the last six years, which I think works well.

Posters will have a total of 15 votes per game to award to players as they see fit, with a maximum of 5 votes per player. That still allows you to award the standard 5,4,3,2,1 but flexibility to award differently if your assessment of players' performance is different.

I then turn those votes into points as a percentage (i.e. a score out of 100), with everyone who gets awarded points getting points (providing they round to a minimum of 1). So, a total of 100 points gets awarded each week (rounding errors sometimes makes that 99 or 101).

For example:
  • if 3 players perform equally well, you may choose to award each player 5 points (15 points total)
  • if there's one standout well ahead of others, 3 moderately good players, you may choose to award a 5, three 3s & a 1 (15 points total)
  • if everyone plays poorly in a loss, you may choose to give 1 point to fifteen different players (15 points total).
  • if we have a bad game, and people don't want to give full points totaling 100, then you may award less than a total of 15 votes and say that's all you want to award, in which case the total points awarded to players will be less than the full 100.
After everyone has voted, I'll total the votes and work out a percentage to award the MVP points out of 100 each week.

As usual, each round will have its own thread, and once each round is finalised, this thread will record the running total.

Hi folks. I took the count behind closed doors after round 19, but with the Kevin Sheedy Medal count tomorrow night, it's time to reveal who we thought was the Most Valuable Giant in season 2024. And of course, who were ranked below the numero uno.

I will backfill the individual round counts and updated prgress scores after the reveal of the MVG, but for the moment, tonight I will reveal the order from position 11 onwards ... and tomorrow night I'll roll out our positions 10 to 1.

So, without any further ado, here's the final season 2024 tally, in order from #11 with every single point awarded by our board's voting posters:

2024 MVG - 11th onwards.PNG

Some points to note:
  • Peatling absolutely scorched up the ladder in the final few rounds
  • Cogs started well, but dropped off with injury ... he's still got the skill, but his body is letting him down
  • Idun probably scores better in the actual KSM count than he did here due to the different voting format
  • Brown had a great opening round, then disappeared
  • for a guy who played most games, and just scored himself something close to $900k per year, Harry Perryman finished well down in the count (Cumming was next to him but hardly played due to injury)

OK, time for the reveal of positions 10th to 6th:

In 10th place, on 111 points:

10 [PLAYERCARD]Sam Taylor[/PLAYERCARD].PNG

• In a season in which he suffered more unfortunate injuries, Sam nevertheless was a strong figure in our tall defence, sufficient to clearly finish in 10th place in our voting.
In 9th place, on 113 points:

9 Finn  Callaghan.PNG
  • Finn Callaghan is starting to make his presence felt in the team. While he hasn't started off with a "bang", like Nick Daicos had, I have confidence that he'll develop into a superb inside midfielder with running prowess for GWS.
In 8th place, on 124 points:

8 Jack Buckley.PNG
  • Our other KPD bookend, Jack Buckley, had a superb year. Untroubled by injuries, he's outpointed his partner in crime (Slammer) in the KSM.
In 7th place, on 132 points:

7 [PLAYERCARD]Brent Daniels[/PLAYERCARD].PNG
  • Brent Daniels had another fantastic year, using his zip and speed to great advantage. Selected in the All Australian Squad for the first time, he fully deserves the accolades that he receives.
In 6th place, on 136 points:

6 Josh Kelly.PNG

• Josh Kelly was headed for another outstanding year with 3 game MVGs from our posters in the first half of the season, before being struck down by injuries, and not quite getting back to that form at the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting to the pointy end. You've probably worked out who the remaining 3 players are. Probably also little surprise when I reveal third place as:

3 Lachie Whitfield.PNG

On 202 points, but only good enough this year for third place, he's had another stellar year that netted Lachie Whitfield an All Australian jacket.

So, our 2024 Most Valuable Giant, winning by 40 points on 371 points after a magnificent year, is:

1 [PLAYERCARD]Tom Green[/PLAYERCARD].PNG

Congratulations on a wonderful year, Tom!

Spraying Ricky Gervais GIF by Golden Globes

Remove this Banner Ad

MVP 2024 Most Valuable Giant (MVG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back