Analysis Inside 50s into goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh. Chaddles.

Gives Jay Schulz a bake "He was a good kick for goal, but doesn't mean he's a good kicking coach" - sez the man entrusted to improve our goalkicking across the squad!!!

Translated means: "Don't tell me that I don't have a clue. This is my patch now, so just **** off anyone else. FIGJAM".
Chad is so far off the mark with this comment (did he actually say that?).

Having seen him teach first hand, I can categorically say that Jay Schulz is both a good kick for goal AND a good kicking coach...

"It's been a little inconsistent so we're going to double down on the importance of our ball movement. I think that is one of the overall weapons, but (there have) been games where we've gone away from it, and the ball has become a bit stagnant, a bit too straight line. So, we’ve got a lot of weapons in terms of our offense, and we just need to see that more consistently.”

It is pleasing to hear they are both acknowledging they still bombed it long too much and doubling down on getting better at connection with the forwards and not just bombing it long.

I feared they would decide at the mid season review to go back to the more predictable, more defendable deep forward entries (even more).

Of course the proof will be in the pudding but at least it seems they are going to try.

I would love to hear the internal conversations to see whether this decision was a purely tactical one or one that they felt was forced by Charlie's lack of fitness.

Jimmy Bartel on Footy Classified last night with Lloyd analysising this weeks game, said we have a lot of shots for goal from 40 or 50m out. I knew that.

Nothing surprising there given our handball from a mark free 50-60m to Houston, Farrell, Burton and co, to just bang a long shot on goal, or they get the ball themselves and ping from the arc is obvious. Butters Rozee and JHF from cente bounce clearances like having a ping from 50m out and only JHF pulls off low passes, to a leading player at a resonable percentage of times

Bartel then said that we are number #1 in the AFL for that stat and 18th for conversion on goal.

Ive written several times that because of our stupid high press, we let the oppo run the ball too many times to the goal square for an easy goal whereas we get bugger all goals from the goal square and its usually such hard work.

Bartel said he wants one of our KPFs to play deep and not get the ball a long way from goal.

We have a lot of set shots from that 40 to 55m out, its not just from play or the handball to the 3 long kicks mentored above.

From that Instagram post and graphic

Zak Butters: 58 kicks inside 50, 20 marked by a teammate (34.5%, #3 in the AFL)

Jason Horne-Francis: 56 kicks inside 50, 18 marked by a teammate (32.1%, #4 in the AFL)

Most kicks inside 50 ie more than Zak.

Errol Gulden. 96, 27 marked 28.1% .... so much for him being a great kick, obviously not under pressure.
Nick Daicos.. 78, 16 marked 21.1%,
Bontempelli 75, 19 marked 25.3%
Brad Hil......l 63, 17 marked 27%
Lachie Neale 62, 18 marked, 29%
Touk Miller ..61, 17 marked 27.9%
Liam Dugan 61, 16 marked 26.2%

A good analysis of Port's forward 50 failing this year by David King in tonight's AFL 360 contained in two graphics showing how far behind the rest of the AFL we are in putting pressure on both the scoreboard and the opposition when the ball is in our forward 50.

As King rightly says - what a waste of one of the best midfileds in the competition when we fail to capitalise on the forward entries they provide.

King's answer is that we need to get Horne Frances to play a more attacking role. But he misses the fact that our obsession with Charlie has robbed other forwards of opportunities.

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_0026.jpeg

The problem with playing Horne-Francis forward is that he's our best midfielder.

The problem with playing Horne-Francis in the midfield is he's our best forward.
Do Norf have another Horne-Francis lying around somewhere they can trade us for peanuts?

I think our forwards are poor overhead generally. I don't know if they lack upper body strength or if it's our kicking into forward 50. Our kicking ranges from kicking to the disadvantage of our player to just plain atrocious. We have a couple of exceptions, thank goodness, but not enough, unfortunately.

On SM-S711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good analysis of Port's forward 50 failing this year by David King in tonight's AFL 360 contained in two graphics showing how far behind the rest of the AFL we are in putting pressure on both the scoreboard and the opposition when the ball is in our forward 50.

As King rightly says - what a waste of one of the best midfileds in the competition when we fail to capitalise on the forward entries they provide.

King's answer is that we need to get Horne Frances to play a more attacking role. But he misses the fact that our obsession with Charlie has robbed other forwards of opportunities.

View attachment 2044628

View attachment 2044630
Why has it taken so long for somebody to point out what has been obvious for an eternity? King seems to be the only bloke in the media who isn't under Kenny's spell.

I think our forwards are poor overhead generally. I don't know if they lack upper body strength or if it's our kicking into forward 50. Our kicking ranges from kicking to the disadvantage of our player to just plain atrocious. We have a couple of exceptions, thank goodness, but not enough, unfortunately.

On SM-S711B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not sure if there's any data that can reflect this, but I'd love to see a chart of where or kicks go combined with where or forwards are moving. With few exceptions it feels like we've traditionally kicked to very stationary targets, positioned behind their opponents. It's always felt to me like a lack of forward movement and separation. Whether that is by design or not, b only they know.

The problem with playing Horne-Francis forward is that he's our best midfielder.

The problem with playing Horne-Francis in the midfield is he's our best forward.

Our overall poor forward 50 numbers in the first chart were from round 12…. So the last 5 rounds. It’s probably also significant that our two highest forward 50 contented possession winners (JHF) aside I’m Dixon and Rioli have basically been out for most of that time for one reason or another.

I have mentioned a couple times watching he games that we should actually have a forward setup that we occasionally roll too that effectively gives JHF a chance to take on a defender one on one and let him go to work.

We also have Rozee who is also an ugly matchup for defenders when forward …. In fact he started in the side as a forward … winning the goal kicking in his first year (I think).

I wonder how midfield rotations would look if those two effectively shared a split forward/ midfield rotation, that we could adjust based on how the midfield was tracking.

Yep. But I think the point King is making is to focus his overlap forward rather than across both halves of the ground. Hornet has a great sense of where the ball is going to go with a good sense of where the goals are. If we are any chance of making let alone winning finals this year that’s what we need to put our emphasis for him.

The fact our defence has leaked goals when it matters is another matter of course.

Makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Chad is so far off the mark with this comment (did he actually say that?).

Having seen him teach first hand, I can categorically say that Jay Schulz is both a good kick for goal AND a good kicking coach...
Jay Schulz will never come back. The club gave him a fruit basket and a "good luck with the CTE" before sending him on his way. They made a pariah out of him when he took legal action.

Further to my point about the club chiefs needing to be set alight and thrown off of a skyscraper*

*in minecraft.

Those stats showed on 360 are very alarming and it can be seen especially with Todd Marshall. He gets beaten far too easily and doesn’t provide second or third efforts in trying to lock the ball inside 50.

It would be nice if the forwards showed some intense desire in tackling, chasing and harassing to keep the ball locked up inside 50.

View attachment 2044628

View attachment 2044630

There's another glaring issue in that bottom table.

There's another glaring issue in that bottom table.
Those stats showed on 360 are very alarming and it can be seen especially with Todd Marshall. He gets beaten far too easily and doesn’t provide second or third efforts in trying to lock the ball inside 50.

It would be nice if the forwards showed some intense desire in tackling, chasing and harassing to keep the ball locked up inside 50.

Yep.

At least this backs up what I was saying last week about our pressure.

When we get our full ground press in position, we are good at stopping teams exiting and transitioning easy. When we're not completely in position, the ball does bounce out way too easy. But this probably also says that when we do prevent the exit, we might just be forcing ball ups rather than clean interceptions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Inside 50s into goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back