Analysis Inside 50s into goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs more Jed.

Jokes aside, considering the gameplan of Kenny Average revolve around locking it in the F50, it really shows how bad we are and that the personnel in the forward line is severely lacking.

Not matter what you say about Dixon, at least he competes.

We really do rely on our great players to bring home the bacon. Hinkley's method of putting square pegs into round holes and just using poor player has really shown itself without Powell-Pepper and Rioli. You've got Jed and Evans doing nothing and then former back seagull Byrne-Jones doing his best.

Marshall, well, you've got skills, decision making and a sweet boot but you need to put in some work, dude.

At least this backs up what I was saying last week about our pressure.

When we get our full ground press in position, we are good at stopping teams exiting and transitioning easy. When we're not completely in position, the ball does bounce out way too easy. But this probably also says that when we do prevent the exit, we might just be forcing ball ups rather than clean interceptions.
Of course, Willie Rioli was the quick reacting crumbing forward brought in to capitalise on the spilled balls from those contested marked attempts of Dixon et al. A role I reckon he was doing pretty well in the first half of this year and it covered over the cracks of the fragility of our key forwards.

IMHO, Rioli's extended absence from our team has (re-)created a glaring gap in our forward line that hasn't been given the media attention it deserves. Yet it's exactly what's forced JHF to make more entries into the forward 50 in recent weeks that King is commenting on.

Lol, Dixon has won nearly double the number of contests as Marshall in nearly half the number of games. Also averages more goals per game. And the fictitious narrative about Hot Toddy playing better without Dixon has been busted. What's the latest defence? He gets score assists or something?

Lol, Dixon has won nearly double the number of contests as Marshall in nearly half the number of games. Also averages more goals per game. And the fictitious narrative about Hot Toddy playing better without Dixon has been busted. What's the latest defence? He gets score assists or something?
He plays his role and applies great defensive pressure. Maybe if you weren't such a football illiterate you'd understand.

From that Instagram post and graphic

Zak Butters: 58 kicks inside 50, 20 marked by a teammate (34.5%, #3 in the AFL)

Jason Horne-Francis: 56 kicks inside 50, 18 marked by a teammate (32.1%, #4 in the AFL)

Most kicks inside 50 ie more than Zak.

Errol Gulden. 96, 27 marked 28.1% .... so much for him being a great kick, obviously not under pressure.
Nick Daicos.. 78, 16 marked 21.1%,
Bontempelli 75, 19 marked 25.3%
Brad Hil......l 63, 17 marked 27%
Lachie Neale 62, 18 marked, 29%
Touk Miller ..61, 17 marked 27.9%
Liam Dugan 61, 16 marked 26.2%
I'd like to see how this marries up with expected score after the mark. We do seem to take a lot of shots wide and far out, you'd think they would be easier kicks to execute and mark.

He plays his role and applies great defensive pressure. Maybe if you weren't such a football illiterate you'd understand.

Don't think I've ever argued for Jed to be kept in the team over any alternative suggestions, I've merely defended him in isolation.

The Hot Toddy fans have explicitly argued that Dixon should be dropped and that Hot Toddy should remain in the team in spite of the stats suggesting Marshall's output is inferior to Dixon's.

Don't think I've ever argued for Jed to be kept in the team over any alternative suggestions, I've merely defended him in isolation.

The Hot Toddy fans have explicitly argued that Dixon should be dropped and that Hot Toddy should remain in the team in spite of the stats suggesting Marshall's output is inferior to Dixon's.
Dixon should be dropped because he's a cooked 33 year old who hates the fans and won't be on our list next year. I'd rather play Scully or Walsh than Dixon, let alone Hot Toddy.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on Marshall TeeKray, who I would argue is the most overrated player on our current list, but Dixon is well & truly cooked.

I posted WheeloRatings full tweet and graphic for both sides at this post in the Bulldogs game review thread

This is just the Port stuff. 32 shots on goal, 5 didn't score and we kicked 11.8 from set shots and 4.4 from general play from 53 inside 50's.

We had 18 marks I50, I marked down we passed 2 off to be marked by blokes having shots on goal and got 1 Free inside 50 set shot but Marshall put it OOTF in the 4th.

1720686917403.png

1720752682947.png

Anyone watch the Richmond v GWS game at the MCG today? I didnt but just saw some stats on Footy Furnance that made me look up all the stats.

Giants kicked their record score at MCG, 36 inside 50s, 24 shots on goal and 17.6. All this from 18 marks inside 50.

These are amazingly efficient stats. Choco would definitely say they didnt get it I50 often enough, but they are bloody edficient when they do.

What did GWS do that we never seem to do?

Looks like Richmond played like we usually do, 53 I50s for 12 goals.

I for one just love watching when we finally have some space on the half forward line with the ball in hand, we are forced to stop and prop because we have no leading forwards to kick to and instead we just kick to the boundary and watch it trickle out. Excellent forward craft.

Wanted to shoot Boak out of a cannon yesterday in the third (maybe 4th?) when we finally had a clean passage forward and he has the ball 65 out in open space on the flank. Instead of kicking to a forward in front of goal he goes a dinky kick to JHF on the boundary which gets intercepted and rebounds for a Suns goal.

We had players in the corridor in front of goal however not one of them led. A player with leadership would have directed them to where he wanted to place the ball and force them to lead to the ball if they weren’t already. Instead we go boundary again and turnover.

How often do you see the opposition players dictate to the forwards where they want them to go if other options don’t present. I can’t recall ever seeing this from our leaders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for one just love watching when we finally have some space on the half forward line with the ball in hand, we are forced to stop and prop because we have no leading forwards to kick to and instead we just kick to the boundary and watch it trickle out. Excellent forward craft.

Wanted to shoot Boak out of a cannon yesterday in the third (maybe 4th?) when we finally had a clean passage forward and he has the ball 65 out in open space on the flank. Instead of kicking to a forward in front of goal he goes a dinky kick to JHF on the boundary which gets intercepted and rebounds for a Suns goal.

We had players in the corridor in front of goal however not one of them led. A player with leadership would have directed them to where he wanted to place the ball and force them to lead to the ball if they weren’t already. Instead we go boundary again and turnover.

How often do you see the opposition players dictate to the forwards where they want them to go if other options don’t present. I can’t recall ever seeing this from our leaders.

I still look back to that 'don't lead' video from Ken at training.

His whole mantra is to bomb it in long and get a tall to bring it to ground - chaos ball.

He used to do it to Sam Gray...... then Sam would fumble it over the boundary line for a throw in, get a goal from stoppage...

I'd love us to do it with more purpose. Trouble is it's ingrained into this team after 12 years.

A new coach would be able to fix so many obvious things in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Inside 50s into goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back