Autopsy v the rubber head bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I still think we shown huge improvement since the bye. And I'm not easily impressed.
And each to their own of course.

1. Hansen 4 games
2.Duursma 11 games
3.Teakle 13 games
4.Archer 19 games
5.Wardlaw 24 games
6.Comben 25 games
7.Phillip 40 games
8. Sheezel 42

1. Xerri 52 games
2. Curtis 55 games
3. Stephen 56 games
4. Powell 64 games.

Now not for a minute am I suggesting all the above will make it, but sheesh, maybe we should lower our expectations.

Our current senior core

1. Logue 81 games
2. Scott 97
3. LDU 104 games
4. Zurhaar 106 games
5. Larkey 113 games
6. Stephenson 121 games
7. Simpkin 148 games
8. Corr 158 games
9. McDonald 199 games
10. Shiels 3,000,000 games

From the senior core yesterday, I'm ok with keeping 6/10 or max 7/10

Geelong yesterday, and come round one next season,

Blews 32
Duncan 33
Stewart 32
Cameron 33
Dangerfield 35
Rohan 33
Biclavs 34
Colin Jazknee 32

Under 50 games

Managan
Dempsey
Neale
Humphries

I really think we need to reconsider what we should be achieving currently.

And that is all :)

JED BEWS IS 32? Jesus Christ

JED BEWS IS 32? Jesus Christ
That's not our problem though . Our important positions are pretty well covered off. Need time and can't escape that. Just leaves 1 fwd pocket, 2 wings, 2 HBF. 1 back pocket. 1 KPD .
Amd we have

George
McKercher
Goater
W Dawson
Hardeman
And of course those five need games as well. So a bit of a loop currently . Season 2025 should see an uplift and hang onto your hat for season 2026.

If we could recruit a couple of seasoned types we could push for finals next year. But what's the rush it's been nearly ten years since lol

Need to replace the dumb/unskilled footballers before we see big progress.

Turn these guys over with blokes who make good decisions and can kick a football, and results will start to go our way.

From yesterday

Aidan Corr
Jaidyn Stephenson
Luke Mcdonald
Bailey Scott
Dylan Stephens
Liam Shiels
Darcy Tucker
Jy Simpkin

And around 4-6 guys that didn’t play.

These guys consistently make momentum killing errors or aren’t good enough to play in a finals side. Only player that could potentially play a role in that list is Simpkin.

If we can upgrade these guys over the next couple years, we will win games of football.

The core of our premiership team is there, just need the right pieces around them.

Waiting for all the pieces to fall into place perfectly before expecting progress is just a sisyphean exercise of constantly kicking the can further down the road. Don't think you'll find a single team in the league that doesn't have weak links.

Interesting hearing the post mortem on ABC radio today - Geelong did what they needed to do, but most of the talk was North Melbourne and how they can shape the final eight, will win at least one upset in the run home, and are no longer a team anyone can take lightly.

So when you aren’t emotionally invested and disappointed, you say a lot has improved.

Interesting hearing the post mortem on ABC radio today - Geelong did what they needed to do, but most of the talk was North Melbourne and how they can shape the final eight, will win at least one upset in the run home, and are no longer a team anyone can take lightly.

So when you aren’t emotionally invested and disappointed, you say a lot has improved.

I get this from oppo supporters in person as well. For example, this week someone told me North were his “sure thing”, an absolute “Monty” to defeat Geelong.

To which I replied “nah, you know how it’ll go down: we’ll lose by 6 goals, we’ll show some good signs, we’ll all sit there saying how great Geelong are, etc”.

Which is exactly what happened.

Yes, we’re emotionally invested. But we also know our team too well, unfortunately

One of Dogs/Hawks then.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

With the amount of underkicking of the ball, from all players really, it makes me wonder if we get our pre-game prep wrong.

Share a lot of hcd199 thoughts who always sums it up so well.

10 rounds ago, a year ago, I'd put these types of llosses down to a poor list and historic poor standards.

The last 2 weeks have not felt like that. We have a mental maybe cultural issue around winning.

We have the personnel to now get on top of opponents in games. We win contests, dash and link up and you get lulled in sometimes in the first 5 minutes.. "maybe today?"

Then it happens.

The fantastic chain of play that ends in a limp snap that barely goes 25 metres and finishes in the arms of a waiting standing defender.

The flow of 2-3 goals and all the momentum abruptly ended with the totally unnecessary own goal to give opposition their jump-start.

The big lead that everybody in the universe including every other AFL club knows is going to evaporate, it's just a matter of when, not if.

I'm convinced this group collectively don't see themselves as genuinely capable of beating high rated opponents or putting the foot on the throat of the weaker ones.

Just about every successful dynasty looks to start when players - not coaches - make a stand to make something of their team.

I think that time is coming. The way the season is tracking, the honourable losses will mean less and less to the players belief if we continually punctuate them with random shitshows.

We need some players to ask their team mates if they're fair dinkum and commit to concentrating for 4 quarters and stop talking big but deep down believing they're just happy competing with better teams for a quarter or 2 here and there.
Well said KC. As usual.

I watched Geelong closely last week against the Bulldogs.
They got destroyed at home.

They are nowhere near the side they were in 2022 and I truly don’t rate them in 2024.
They are getting by on one or two standout performances which isn’t sustainable and relying on luck in games through favourable umpiring or costly opponent turnovers.

There is a massive hole coming for them soon and they were ripe for the picking yesterday.

I watched the Hawks get dismantled by Essendon and Melbourne earlier this year and if these sides played again tomorrow, the Hawks would win by 40 plus.

Form can turn so quickly and the hawks list is no better than ours.
So whereas they’re knocking the door on finals we’re still sitting here thinking about a 3 minute stretch of game time that cost us any chance of winning.

It has to stop.

Freo, Carlton, Geelong are top 6 sides and we outplayed these clubs for long period of games.
We got within 3 goals of the dogs as well. So clearly were capable, it’s all between the ears.

The boys don’t have to be losers anymore.

Last edited:
Well said KC. As usual.

I watched Geelong closely last week against the Bulldogs.
They got destroyed at home.

They are nowhere near the side they were in 2022 and I truly don’t rate them in 2024.
They are getting by on one or two standout performances which isn’t sustainable and relying on luck in games through favourable umpiring or costly opponent turnovers.

There is a massive hole coming for them soon and they were ripe for the picking yesterday.

I watched the Hawks get dismantled by Essendon and Melbourne earlier this year and if these sides played again tomorrow, the Hawks would win by 40 plus.

Form can turn so quickly and the hawks list is no better than ours.
So whereas they’re knocking the door on finals we’re still sitting here thinking about a 3 minute stretch of game time that cost us any chance of winning.

It has to stop.

Freo, Carlton, Geelong are top 6 sides and we outplayed these clubs for long period of games.
We got within 3 goals of the dogs as well. So clearly were capable, it’s all between the ears.

The boys don’t have to be losers anymore.
The leaders of the club have NFI what a winning culture is and the young guys, outside of Sheezel, can’t impact a game for long enough.

It’s a shit show.

The leaders of the club have NFI what a winning culture is and the young guys, outside of Sheezel, can’t impact a game for long enough.

It’s a shit show.

It’s possible to think we’re currently a shitshow, without thinking it will never improve/wanting to sack Clarkson. The two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately if you’re critical of the team at the moment, some on here think it’s an overreaction. It’s not. Things have to improve if the (not inevitable) “bright future” is to come to fruition.

Our first half of the year was unacceptable.
There are matches since that that we should’ve won this year.
A losing culture has permeated the mentality of our players.
There are things we need to fix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a shit show.
Its Harry's team. Logue said as much.
Anyone denying its not, is just foolish.

And were 17th because a 19yo superstar has had to set the standards and carry the team on his back.
X and LDU are coming along for the ride. Comben and Archer will die for the cause. Wardlaw also.

But if anyone can lift this side out of the hole its in, then its Harry.

And were 17th because a 19yo superstar has had to set the standards and carry the team on his back.
X and LDU are coming along for the ride. Comben and Archer will die for the cause. Wardlaw also.

Spot on , I remember reading something last year about Harry already was setting the standards and been vocal about it when others weren't doing the right thing.
Embarrassing for the senior players

Pretty much spot on.

I have much more faith now that it will turn and turn quickly. We pushed out JZ and a couple of others last year and that seems a lifetime ago. We will do the same this year and finally getting to the point that our "depth" players will start to be blokes that have development left in them and a chance to still improve rather than holding up the fort.

I think next year should see further improvement and if we're lucky a couple of savvy managers are in the ear of some players who could move to us before the big improvement and make more money for their foresight.

giantroo can you get footage of the Dempsey goal and freeze frame it. I swear it goes over the line and hits Stephens foot and comes back into play right before the debacle with his handball to Corr.
and i swear the 2 idiots should have been able to rush the ball over the line rather the comical farce where an oppo player casually waltzes in and pickpickets them for a goal,

We can’t forget that we conceded some genuinely stupid goals. Stephens refusal to rush it for Dempsey goal and Curtis giving away a 50 to Cameron is a 12 point swing.

Also the Xerri misfire when Duncan clearly encroached on the mark. Should’ve been a 50.

18 point swing there.

Also massive props to Xerri. Rarely do you see a player develop the ability to mark the footy over the course of a season.

We can’t forget that we conceded some genuinely stupid goals. Stephens refusal to rush it for Dempsey goal and Curtis giving away a 50 to Cameron is a 12 point swing.

Also the Xerri misfire when Duncan clearly encroached on the mark. Should’ve been a 50.

18 point swing there.

Also massive props to Xerri. Rarely do you see a player develop the ability to mark the footy over the course of a season.
dont forget the last qtr stephens and teakle on the goal line. thats 24 points, We were our own worse enemy. Geelong weren't that good. add to that dangers mark on the siren that was clearly touched.

Fk I hate everything about this welfare club, from their stupid headbands, dump of a stadium, to their born again coach.

Can’t wait until we eventually go past them again.

Thank-you, now onto the next game

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy v the rubber head bands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back