Opinion Who was the superior player Simon Black or Lachie Neale?

Remove this Banner Ad

3KZ Junior asked me this morning, who was the better player, Simon Black or Lachie Neale. When he sensed that I was completely stumped, he tried to qualify the question by asking who was most impactful. That didn’t help.

Having spent the best part of sixty years watching AFL / VFL football, I would rate these two players as the best inside midfielders at Fitzroy or Brisbane that I have ever seen. They are probably among the best of any club over that time. But that doesn’t help me answer the question. There is no disrespect intended to either, they are both ornaments to the game and the club. I am privileged to have watched them play.

Who do people think was the superior footballer? Who was most impactful? Who was the most skilled? Who had the most weapons? Is it Simon Black or Lachie Neale?

I am genuinely stumped for an answer.

Impossible to compare champs of different eras . Only to say Blacky had Voss, Lappin, Aker, and Power around him whereas Lachie just hasn't had the same support or ball getting dished out to him of the same quality even given that he was dishing it out a lot himself. Blacky also had a lot more physical protection from some rugged types in what was a different era.

If someone held a gun to my head I'd go Neale just because if he was in Blacky's spot in that team he would have been beyond exceptional.

But overall it's just too hard.

Impossible to compare champs of different eras . Only to say Blacky had Voss, Lappin, Aker, and Power around him whereas Lachie just hasn't had the same support or ball getting dished out to him of the same quality even given that he was dishing it out a lot himself. Blacky also had a lot more physical protection from some rugged types in what was a different era.

If someone held a gun to my head I'd go Neale just because if he was in Blacky's spot in that team he would have been beyond exceptional.

It is such a tough one.

Simon Black Career highlights

Lachie Neale Career highlights

Blacky was still a superstar after Voss, Lappin & Aker had moved on though.

Both guns, Black the better kicking skills, Neale cleaner hands, no slight on Neale’s skills or Black’s hands either though.

Genuinely a tough one. Two of the best mids I have seen easily.

Both have amazing hands in close. Black probably better vision with his kicks. Neale didn't quite have the superstars around him like Blacky. Honestly it's a tough call and a very good question. We have been blessed to watch both run around for our beloved Lions.

Good luck tmw mate in Junior Footy.

Both have amazing hands in close. Black probably better vision with his kicks. Neale didn't quite have the superstars around him like Blacky. Honestly it's a tough call and a very good question. We have been blessed to watch both run around for our beloved Lions.

Good luck tmw mate in Junior Footy.
Same to you. 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suspect there'll be some recency bias here, so hard to effectively assess.

For mine though, without denigrating Neale, I'd have Black ahead on two elements - he kicked more goals per game (at least so far), and he was better on his opposite side.

Neale is still underrated in football circles though (if that's possible). Hope his ankle clears soon - he's a joy to watch in full flight.

Suspect there'll be some recency bias here, so hard to effectively assess.

For mine though, without denigrating Neale, I'd have Black ahead on two elements - he kicked more goals per game (at least so far), and he was better on his opposite side.

Neale is still underrated in football circles though (if that's possible). Hope his ankle clears soon - he's a joy to watch in full flight.
I'm not sure about the recency bias . As I got older I think I've got bias to the past.

On paper the only real difference is the flags but that's not Neale's fault. I'm sure if Lachie had played in that era he'd have 3 as well.

Simon Black's sublime disposal by foot gives him the edge, Lachie is handy by foot but rarely does something that awes you as Simon did.
This is what I was scrolling down to say. Both are truly some of the best ball winners ever, able to keep the ball to their team's advantage, but that kick picking out forward 50 leads is the edge I give to Simon.

Great observations!
It would also be fair to say That the games physicality was different back in Blacky’s era. Even with the likes of Voss Lepitsch the Scott’s, Lynch. There were plenty of villains in the opposition, I’d reckon Blacky would have copped as much as Neale does now. What we don’t know is how Neale would’ve performed back in that era. I think it would be fair to say he still would have been as dominant, may have played a different role potentially?

I started this reply heavily weighted towards Black…but I’ve now convinced myself it’s too tough to be sure.

Comparing players of different decades is hard.
Then you have the before and after period of when the game went professional.
Also, Neales career has a few years to go. He could get better or start to decline.

I don't think winning premierships should come into individual players assessments.
I know a lot of commentators see this as important.
How a player actually plays in those finals is the important part. Like Dusty's performances.

I have Simon Black ahead as i think he was a more damaging player than Neale

When Neale dominates the next 5 weeks and wins a flag/Norm Smith, I think he'll overtake Black.
I hope you are correct.
He more than likely gets a tag in the finals anyhow.
Most of the time he does not handle a hard tag all that well.
But he is good enough to still play well if he gets a little help from teammates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Who was the superior player Simon Black or Lachie Neale?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back