Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Went out like a warrior dying on his shield giving it 100%, that’s Ben Cunnington.

This hurts as much as when Boomer was forcibly retired.

Selfishly, I was blessed and in the position to quickly chat to him and Ziebell on the ground before the game and congratulate him on a wonderful career.
He was definitely soaking it all in and I was really emotional we couldn’t get the win for him at the end.
He deserved it. He bloody deserved it. More than anyone else.

Cunners is a gem of a human. Has time for everyone. Teammates, staff, supporters. He is going to be missed around the club and his presence not being there is going to be felt.

Go well champion

So glad he showcased all his talents we were blessed to witness.

One of the great things about supporting our great club is that plenty of other campaigners don’t watch us. They thought Cunnington was purely a bash and crash type. They missed seeing the skill, timing and brilliance he played the game with. We’re very lucky.

Seeing a bloke who could shove blokes off with force wait amongst a pack of 5 others before waiting for a window to place a delicate handball to a teammate in space is something we may not see again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't want to think about him retiring, because it just brings the tears again.

So does anyone know how old his kids are? The oldest looks like a player already. How many years until we might see him playing as a father/son in the Royal Blue and White?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best inside mid I've seen in 40 years? Possibly. Loved his strength & composure. Always felt comfortable when he had the ball in his hands. Never flustered. Never hurried. Looked like he had everything under control out there. Loved his set shots for goal as well - looked like he was just playing kick-to-kick in the backyard.
Rapt he went out with a more than solid performance yesterday.

Best inside mid I've seen in 40 years? Possibly. Loved his strength & composure. Always felt comfortable when he had the ball in his hands. Never flustered. Never hurried. Looked like he had everything under control out there. Loved his set shots for goal as well - looked like he was just playing kick-to-kick in the backyard.
Rapt he went out with a more than solid performance yesterday.

You would have written him off after his second year :stern look

Thanks for the memories Cunners.

366681277_666623428833194_8198041475768250391_n.jpg

That was great to see. Love him or hate him but Brad was a big part of North and a big part of shaping Cunnington into the player we all know him to be.
Yeah.

As much as we all shitcan Bard that was good and he deserves some respect for it. I'm sure Scott would have rather been a premiership coach with us and shared the dias with Cunners than whatever else happened too. Oh well..

Man I totally forgot what younger Ben looked like until seeing those highlights from earlier in his career.
So happy he gets to go out playing well in his last game and the memory of kicking that goal and his teammates jumping on him will be a lasting one.
Wonder if we might target some more Vic Country kids in the next few years? Clarko certainly had a fair few in his time at the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back