Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Part of me just says **** it. Select him in the seniors and let him the play first half only. Play 1 man down for the second half who cares . But just our luck we’d cop a heap of injuries .. lol

Part of me just says * it. Select him in the seniors and let him the play first half only. Play 1 man down for the second half who cares . But just our luck we’d cop a heap of injuries .. lol
We might end up with a man down but if he does play there will thousands of people who will be UP 😉

You know what doesnt look good in the news? Being 42 points up and losing as a top 4 contender. Ship off campaigner
Great post, I coached against Ben when he was as a kid at Timboon, always followed him, loved the way he went about it, genuinely like the bloke. I reckon you’ve revealed your self to be the campaigner campaigner

If that happened you could almost guarantee someone will come down with an “injury” at around the 15 minute mark of the 3rd
So you know which footy club you’re talking about.

Just pick him in the middle - just play in the square and don’t move. Will get 20 easily

All the way with Kingy on this. I've just emailed the club urging them to play him.

As Kingy says "causes before have unbelievable effects on football clubs" and "There are events that mean more."

This is what I said in my email.

"I’m a long time member of the club. I’m emailing to say that do not mess about with the great man in the Reserves this weekend. Play him in the main game.

There is nothing to be gained by playing him in a VFL game, but everything to gain from a psychological point of view for our members and supporters. At 2 and 17 for the year, whether we win or lose on Sunday, means very little, but if he runs out with the other boys, it will be such a wonderful moment for all of us, who have feared for his wellbeing over this last few months. Imagine what it might mean for JHF, to at last share some centre square time with Benny.

He was the heartbeat of our club until he developed cancer. At some stage watching every game this year, and more than once a game, I have said to myself, if only Benny was there this would be different.

I have no doubt many more supporters will turn up. I for one have been very sick (nearly over it now) with the recently returned RSV virus, my wife has been hospitalized for the last 7 days, home now, and I did not plan to go this Sunday.

But if Benny runs out on Sunday, nothing will stop me from getting there."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the way with Kingy on this. I've just emailed the club urging them to play him.

As Kingy says "causes before have unbelievable effects on football clubs" and "There are events that mean more."

This is what I said in my email.

"I’m a long time member of the club. I’m emailing to say that do not mess about with the great man in the Reserves this weekend. Play him in the main game.

There is nothing to be gained by playing him in a VFL game, but everything to gain from a psychological point of view for our members and supporters. At 2 and 17 for the year, whether we win or lose on Sunday, means very little, but if he runs out with the other boys, it will be such a wonderful moment for all of us, who have feared for his wellbeing over this last few months. Imagine what it might mean for JHF, to at last share some centre square time with Benny.

He was the heartbeat of our club until he developed cancer. At some stage watching every game this year, and more than once a game, I have said to myself, if only Benny was there this would be different.

I have no doubt many more supporters will turn up. I for one have been very sick (nearly over it now) with the recently returned RSV virus, my wife has been hospitalized for the last 7 days, home now, and I did not plan to go this Sunday.

But if Benny runs out on Sunday, nothing will stop me from getting there."
AC269DDF-D9D4-4CB1-9B9A-07F8551760F1.jpeg

Kingy on 360 saying almost ….
“* it … play him Sunday , the club needs desperately a good news story , even if its for 20 min as the “sub” . He is worth 4 goals just him being there “ ala Jason McArtney style .
love Kingy ❤️

Putting him as the sub helps no one.

Great post, I coached against Ben when he was as a kid at Timboon, always followed him, loved the way he went about it, genuinely like the bloke. I reckon you’ve revealed your self to be the campaigner campaigner
Shit, cool story bro, thats almost the best story I have ever heard. Name droppers know nothing. Remember that. campaigner

hate to be this guy, but what happens if we play him and he gets injured due to lack of match fitness? people will want to torch the place

So you know which footy club you’re talking about.

Just pick him in the middle - just play in the square and don’t move. Will get 20 easily
When Noble was our coach we could have played him 100% game time in the goal square and he would not have had to move lol

hate to be this guy, but what happens if we play him and he gets injured due to lack of match fitness? people will want to torch the place
I don’t understand this argument.

Ben is no more or less likely to get injured playing in the seniors than in the reserves.

It’s not like his body will miraculously run faster in the main game and make him more susceptible to a soft tissue injury. He is just as likely to cop said injury playing ressies.

If we were pushing for finals,top 4 etc I’d understand the risk of playing him and potentially being a man down.

But the season was shot 3 months ago so even if he lasts only a quarter, wgaf!?

Play him in short spurts in the middle and rest him at full forward. Maybe 25/75 split.

He will still impact more than spicer, turner, jack, Lazaro and probably a half dozen other players.

I’d leave it up to cunners. If he puts his hand up to play seniors, then play the campaigner!!!

I don’t understand this argument.

Ben is no more or less likely to get injured playing in the seniors than in the reserves.

It’s not like his body will miraculously run faster in the main game and make him more susceptible to a soft tissue injury. He is just as likely to cop said injury playing ressies.

If we were pushing for finals,top 4 etc I’d understand the risk of playing him and potentially being a man down.

But the season was shot 3 months ago so even if he lasts only a quarter, wgaf!?

Play him in short spurts in the middle and rest him at full forward. Maybe 25/75 split.

He will still impact more than spicer, turner, jack, Lazaro and probably a half dozen other players.

I’d leave it up to cunners. If he puts his hand up to play seniors, then play the campaigner!!!
This is my point of view too. Plus, he’s far too good at 50% for vfl.

He knows AFL intensity so I don’t think he will hurt himself by overexerting himself and his intensity will be the same at vfl or afl level. Just play him in the ones

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back