Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Cancer took a lot out of him. He was always slow, but he was smart, tough and skilful enough that it didn’t matter.
Good point, the cancer battle no doubt changed some perceptions for him as well.

Currently he can kick a lazy 10, have a couple of froffies with his teamates and still get back to the family after the game and move the cattle into a fresh paddock after the game.

Win, win, win really

If you’re interested your man is putting on a show in the Hampden FNL 1st Semi Final where he’s already kicked 4 and roughed up Lewy Taylor

Go to the 3yb Coast FM Facebook live page to watch

Watched the last 2 minutes. What a finish.

A running goal from 50 on the boundary with 2 seconds to go ends Cunners year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's your pick from here.

North with Mick Barlow and Steve Motlop coming back look likely.

I hope not though as I can't stand North, cocky bastards that have never won anything.
The week off is a massive advantage for them - Barlow was very good yesterday, Motlop a bit undisciplined but obviously he’s a class player - kicked a crucial goal

The week off is a massive advantage for them - Barlow was very good yesterday, Motlop a bit undisciplined but obviously he’s a class player - kicked a crucial goal

South should win next week but I can't support them either being a Warrnambool man.

Looks like I'll have to get on Lewis Taylor's bandwagon and hope for a miracle.🤣

South should win next week but I can't support them either being a Warrnambool man.

Looks like I'll have to get on Lewis Taylor's bandwagon and hope for a miracle.🤣
Would love to see the blues win…just to shut up a lot of my cocky south supporter work colleagues.
I follow no one….since moving here 8 yrs ago….just observe and live in Koroit.
But
I’m glad they’re out…arrogant supporters ….
South’s are right up there with their air of cockiness
north love talking themselves up but never amount to anything….and went on a buying spree…
Geez when l think about it most teams in the league are not far off them either….overrated
Makes me chuckle how they often seriously overrate themselves…(watched ovens and murray / Albury league Goulburn valley and Bendigo/ Ballarat leagues over my years of moving …compared to this)

Any spider l happily sit on the sidelines with allegiances to none. But will back blues as it’s cunners all the way .

457115009_1067189518322312_4063799375189984018_n.jpg

Terang Mortlake comes back from 60 points down to beat Warrnambool​

Former North Melbourne great Ben Cunnington kicked six goals in the first quarter but not even that could stop his team from falling to one of the greatest country Victorian footy comebacks ever seen.

Former AFL Rising Star winner Lewis Taylor has been involved in some cracking matches in his career but he rates Terang/Mortlake’s last-moment comeback win against Warrnambool in the semi-final of their Hampden league match as his best in history.

The Bloods recorded one of the most insane wins in country footy finals in recent memory, overcoming a 60-point quarter time deficit to win by two points over the Blues.

The winning goal, to captain Joe Arundell, came right on the siren to send the Terang Mortlake fans into raptures and leave Warrnambool devastated.

“I actually think off the top of my head it’s been the best win I’ve ever been involved in, to be honest,” Taylor said after the win.

“I’ve had some wins in the AFL and the NEAFL and won a grand final and stuff like but honestly it’s at the top of the list.

“You see the supporters at the end of the game and how passionate everyone is including the players and myself.

“It means a lot to the two towns.”

Early on it looked like a Blues rout with former North Melbourne player Ben Cunnington on fire.

Warrnambool kicked 9.8 in the first term to lead 62-2 at the first change with Cunnington, who played in the forward line, kicking all six of his goals for the day in the opening quarter after making good use of a strong breeze.

The Bloods, instead of panicking, focused on using the last three terms to come back.

“My messaging was to keep positive, I didn’t want anyone to drop their heads,” Taylor said.

“We knew if we could make some ground in the second term (we’d be back).

“The one thing with this group is we never give up.”

Terang Mortlake reduced the margin to four goals at the main break before restricting Warrnambool to just three goals in the third term as the opposition used the breeze.

Taylor knew, despite the margin being at 38 points, the Bloods were right in it.

“We reset a few things at half time and some of the things that didn’t work in the first quarter we fixed up,” he said.

“To Warrnambool’s credit they jumped out of the blocks and I think we took a bit long to adjust to the wind.

“After we cracked in for the third quarter, they went a little bit quiet and we knew we were in for the fight.”

The fourth quarter will go down in history for the Bloods with the side kicking seven goals to win.

“Matt Irving the assistant coach said ‘we’ll potentially look back on this in years to come and say this was one of the greatest wins in the clubs history’ if we were able to pull it off,” Taylor said.

“We were able to pull it off.”

Former premiership player Xavier Mahoney was one of the best for the team with midfielder Scott Carlin also a major part in the Bloods comeback.

Last year’s premiers South Warrnambool now await in the preliminary final after losing to North Warrnambool on Saturday.

Terang Mortlake last year made the same final but lost to the Eagles who progressed to the grand final.

Taylor said it would be tough but the Bloods were ready to have a crack.

“South are the benchmark up there with North as well., we’ll come in with the hunters mentality and get after them,” Taylor said.

“It should be a good game.

“They’ll be looking to come out and bounce back.

“We’ll really dive in with Matt Irving, who does great work with vision and teams, and we’ll be in good stead.

“It will come down to who can play better on the day.”

Was on the local radio this morning …the call of the goal and the siren 3 sec after it went through..
Certainly was the talk of the town today…cracking game of two halves..

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back