Retired #10: Mark McVeigh - Appointed coach of GWS Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 10. Mark McVeigh

Elite by current Essendon standards yes.

Campare his last 2 seasons to the 2000 team that one the flag. He wouldn't be in the best 8 - 10 players of that side.

He's not an elite player to anyone outside of Essendon, just a good one.

Don't get me wrong, I like him, it's just a bit of an indightment on Essendon that a player of his standard is in our best 3 - 4 players IMO.

Essendon are arguably the most hated club in the competition, it's called the tall poppy syndrome, I don't expect opposing supporters to be giving any wraps to our players.

I think you need to reconsider Mark Mercuri and Jason Johnson's output in 2000.

McVeigh in 2007 was better than them both.

wasn't jj all australian in 2000, whilst mercuri was the steve johnson of 2000

Essendon are arguably the most hated club in the competition, it's called the tall poppy syndrome, I don't expect opposing supporters to be giving any wraps to our players.

Sorry mate. Die hard Bomber member here so you got that wrong. Just realistic about our list. I like Mcveigh but to suggest that he's an elite, A grade footballer is simply not true. Yes he's one of Essendons best players but as I keep saying, WE"VE BEEN TERRIBLE FOR 3 YEARS.

Mercuri was at his best in 1999.

JJ was AA in 2001.

To put Mercuri of 2000 into the same league as McViegh of 2007 is one of the more laughable suggestions i've heard.

Mecuri was one of the best players in the league in 99. His 2000 season while not quite as good was still sensational and was a better player than McVeigh in 2007. Mercuri's career obviously tappered off dramatically in his final few years however he was a jet in 2000.

JJ was a vital cog of a gun midfield in 2000. I would still suggest he was better in 2000 than McVeigh in '07 even given his better season in '01.

JJ was a shadow of the player he was in 2001 as compared to 2000.

He averaged 18 disposals and half a goal a game.

McVeigh averaged 18 disposals and a goal a game in 2007 and played a lot of games as a defensive midfielder/small back as opposed to an attacking midfielder.

At the very least, McVeigh is on par with JJ in 2000. I think he was better, but I'm happy to concede to him being "as good"

Now given you had JJ as your 4th best in 2000 (if that was a ranking), then McVeigh comfortably makes our top 10 of 2000 on his 2007 form.

Mercuri's 1999 was one of the best individual seasons I've seen, his 2000 was scattered with plenty of quiet games as inconsistency crept in and continued to over the following years.

JJ was a shadow of the player he was in 2001 as compared to 2000.

He averaged 18 disposals and half a goal a game.

McVeigh averaged 18 disposals and a goal a game in 2007 and played a lot of games as a defensive midfielder/small back as opposed to an attacking midfielder.

At the very least, McVeigh is on par with JJ in 2000. I think he was better, but I'm happy to concede to him being "as good"

Now given you had JJ as your 4th best in 2000 (if that was a ranking), then McVeigh comfortably makes our top 10 of 2000 on his 2007 form.

Mercuri's 1999 was one of the best individual seasons I've seen, his 2000 was scattered with plenty of quiet games as inconsistency crept in and continued to over the following years.

The players listed were in no particular order so I should have probably pointed that out.

Happy to disagree on this one. Mercuri is one of Essendons greats and was a gun player in one of the best sides in the leagues history. McVeigh in my opinion is a good player in a poor side. As i've said previously, we need more players like him although just because he's one of Essendons best players, this doesn't make him an 'elite, star of the competition' as some have suggested.

Go Dons!

To put Mercuri of 2000 into the same league as McViegh of 2007 is one of the more laughable suggestions i've heard.

Mecuri was one of the best players in the league in 99. His 2000 season while not quite as good was still sensational and was a better player than McVeigh in 2007. Mercuri's career obviously tappered off dramatically in his final few years however he was a jet in 2000.

JJ was a vital cog of a gun midfield in 2000. I would still suggest he was better in 2000 than McVeigh in '07 even given his better season in '01.

Agreed on all points. Excellent footballer in the mid 90`s as well Mercuri when he was on diddly squat $

I absolutely love the passion and determination McVeigh has for this club.

On one occasion,
I remember seeing him (last season) yell and vent his frustration on a player who hadn't kicked to him when he was free..(not carrying on the way Richo does ;))
And the St.Kilda game (NAB) this season, just after we lost,
he had this look on his face..you could tell he was shattered..
and then he punched the ground...he couldn't help it.

He plays to win..his heart is pure Essendon.

(Not saying the other players arn't the same,but Macca shows it more I find.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be a smokey for the brownlow with 2 BOG, hopefully dosen't get sighted for the incident with fevola.

Our performance on Friday night proves that McVeigh is an extremely important player in our team. We are going to miss his skills and ability to win the ball during the next 3 weeks.

The Making Of Mark McVeigh

PRIVATE pre-season counselling from retired Essendon legend James Hird has prompted his close friend Mark McVeigh to instil the club's historical relevance into his younger teammates.

When the tears were wiped away from last year's emotional farewell to Hird and coach Kevin Sheedy in Perth, left in front of McVeigh was the stark reality that the Bombers were in for a tough overhaul.

Then when he stood in front of his No. 10 locker and saw the names above his of Essendon greats John Coleman, Alan Noonan, Garry Foulds and Gary O'Donnell, he decided to make a bold stand in what his Bombers knew would be a period of pain.

McVeigh said he knew a measured speech in front of the club's faithful at last year's best-and-fairest awards about his desire to help fill part of Hird's legacy would self-inflict an inescapable pressure to perform.

Fitter than at any point in his career, the former Sydneysider's 21.6 possessions a game this season are eight up on his career average, but he is also determined to ensure the long list of baby Bombers embrace the club's long-earned standing in the game.

West Australian-bred forward Scott Gumbleton says pointed words from McVeigh to find strength for the club had been a key motivation during his long and frustrating recovery.

In that, it is clear that McVeigh's commitment is already reaping valuable rewards.

Out of contract at the end of the year, but desperate to be a Bomber for life, the 27-year-old wants his final seasons to be his most meaningful. "I have to take that role on as a player because there's a real gap in our club in terms of age group where drafted players haven't come through or aren't there any more," said McVeigh, whose brother Jarrad plays for Sydney. "There's only myself and Adam Ramanauskas left from my draft year (1998).

"I came through an era when the club was invincible and I've seen how good it can be. I was passed down information from your Hirds, your Barnards, your Hardwicks, Alessios, Mercuris and Misitis, who are names you automatically put with Essendon.

"It's who I grew up with and it's how I want to see myself — Mark McVeigh, associated with Essendon. I'm Essendon through and through, it's my home and I have to lead the kids as much as I can because Matthew Lloyd can't do it all."

Ironically, McVeigh delivered Hird one of his cruellest injuries when his knee accidentally smashed through his captain's cheekbone during a 2002 game against Fremantle at Subiaco Oval.

Rather than bear a grudge, Hird has been one of McVeigh's most staunch supporters, to the point where he has now set him on an employment path after football with Melbourne-based brokerage firm Evans & Partners.

But his guidance for life in football remains more immediate.

"After that last game where James had finished, we had some private conversations about taking that next step and trying to fill that void of players who won't be there, himself included," he said.

"He would say a little, but it would mean a lot to me. I would take it away and it would give me that extra 5% to keep working and little trigger things that would ring out when you waver a little.

"At the best-and-fairest, I spoke about James' passion and dedication and taking a little bit of that with you and I knew the ramifications that would have on me because I put my hand up to be the one to take it on board.

"So I went away in the pre-season and put my head down and worked extremely hard."

And through the changes at the club, McVeigh has not had to look far to keep his club focus grounded.

"I enjoy finding out a lot about the guys who have gone before you … on my locker, I've got Coleman, Noonan, Foulds and O'Donnell. You're reminded of that every day when you go to your locker and at least once a week, you tell yourself you don't want to be the weak link in that chain."

McVeigh's frantic pre-season workload led to him tearing his hamstring in round four against the Western Bulldogs, but he has worked back to the best form of his career.

As he prepared to face West Coast at Telstra Dome tonight, he said he rated last year's one-point win over the Eagles as one of the best of his career and one that gave his mate Hird a lasting football memory.

McVeigh played nine games as an 18-year-old in 1999, one game in the club's premiership-winning season of 2000 and then 23 in 2001, including the losing grand final to the Brisbane Lions.

Now with 170 games under his belt, he has backed Essendon coach Matthew Knights to lead a revival. "It's been a huge turnaround in eight years and the list turnover has been massive," he said.

"I understand the potshots being taken at us because the whole club's changed and we'll be judged on wins and losses. But our club is very united in the way we believe in 'Knighta' and the way he's trying to rebuild the club.

"Although we're not happy with the position we're in and we don't like losing and it's frustrating as a player, we're good mates and feel if we iron out a few things we aren't doing great, we're on the right track to developing a team to be able to challenge for a finals series in two or three years."

The Age 13/06.08

Our next leader. No doubt. :thumbsu:

mcveigh-dome.jpg

Spike's angry...:p

An injury update for Spike.

McVeigh ready to dip toe back into pre-season
By Mic Cullen 2:04 PM Fri 16 January, 2009

MARK McVeigh is over his broken toe and should resume full training by next week.
The 27-year-old midfielder is a key figure in an Essendon side that will hope to challenge for the eight this year after finishing 12th in 2008.
McVeigh played just 14 games last year after hamstring and knee woes but still managed to be the sixth-highest ranked Bomber for disposals.
New assistant coach Alan Richardson said the 176-game veteran was progressing nicely, although he might not be ready for Essendon's first NAB Cup match against the Bulldogs in Darwin in a month.
"He's probably going to join in full training next week, certainly by the end of the week," Richardson said from LaTrobe University's Bundoora campus on Friday.
"He's not far away. He was lucky enough because he's got quite a few pre-seasons under the belt so that'll stand him in pretty good stead, and he had a month of solid training prior to the toe.
"When you couple that with his training history, the fact that he's had to miss five or six weeks is potentially going to be a bit of a win for him, because he hasn't been flogging himself."
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=71313

#10 - Mark 'Spike' McVeigh

mcve.jpg

Height: 184cm
Weight: 84kg
DOB: 26/1/1981 - 28 years old
Position: Midfield
Recruited From: NSW-ACT Rams with pick 9 in the 1998 draft.
Contract Status: Signed on until the end of 2010.​

0,,5952061,00.jpg

Games: 176
Goals: 89
Brownlow Votes: 23​

2008 Averages
Kicks: 15.6 - 64.4% efficiency
Hanballs: 6.9 - 79.2% efficiency
Disposals: 22.5 - 68.9% efficiency
Contested Possessions: 6.8
Uncontested Possessions: 15.6
Marks: 4.4
Uncontested Marks: 3.8
Contested Marks: 0.6
Inside 50s: 4.1
Clearances: 3.4
Tackles: 3.1​

mcveigh-mark.jpg

AFL Prospectus on Spike
McVeigh recorded career-high disposal numbers in 2006, averaging 15 per game. This improved to 18 in 2007 and last season he lifted again, however this time he placed himself in the above average category of the competition with an average of 23 per game. In 2007 he was seen as a tagger, however in 2008 he went head-to-head with some of the big guns rather than tag them. A classic example of this was in round 3 against the Blues when he took on Chris Judd and racked up 26 disposals and kicked 4 goals. Because of injuries he played only 14 games, but ranked No.1 at the club in average kicks and effective kicks, second for average inside 50s and score assists, and third in average disposals, clearances and uncontested possessions. McVeigh looks to be earmarked as the next Essendon captain.​

Player Profile on Essendon Website
With genuine leadership quality so hard to come by, it’s no surprise that Mark McVeigh’s team-mates and fans hold him in such high regard. His professionalism and passion for his football and club is a characteristic that sets him apart. McVeigh was in career-best form early in 2008 before injury hit. He fought back and finished the season as one of the club’s better performed players. At 28, McVeigh is well on his way to becoming a 200+ game player and club elite player. Arguably the team’s most important player.

Spike's Speech to Entire Playing Squad After 100 Point Loss in Round 22, 2008.
"Just quickly, I want to say something. Remember this feeling right now, don't ever forget it. We've had injuries, well, it starts today. Remember how bad it feels, lets go to pre-season and DO SOMETHING next year, let's F'N DO SOMETHING. This is us, let's do it, we are Essendon!!!"

"Just quickly, I want to say something. Remember this feeling right now, don't ever forget it. We've had injuries, well, it starts today. Remember how bad it feels, lets go to pre-season and DO SOMETHING next year, let's F'N DO SOMETHING. This is us, let's do it, we are Essendon!!!"

<3 spike

"Just quickly, I want to say something. Remember this feeling right now, don't ever forget it. We've had injuries, well, it starts today. Remember how bad it feels, lets go to pre-season and DO SOMETHING next year, let's F'N DO SOMETHING. This is us, let's do it, we are Essendon!!!"[/CENTER]

i really hope the team does F'N DO SOMETHING

Remove this Banner Ad

Back