Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Has added strings to his overall game. Always thought that he was just a loose defender who was only good at taking easy intercept marks.

I was watching a bit of the replay from last Friday last night and noted again how well our back 6 is playing and whilst Rance does some extraordinary things at times that sets him as one of, if not the best defender currently in the league, the others, in conjunction with Rance, are working so effectively as a unit. A comment was made during the game by one of the commentators, one of the few that was accurate or made sense, that Batchelor has gone from being a fringe player to an important cog in the back 6 wheel.

If I remember correctly he did some extra training over the 2014 or 2015 preseason. It is great to see this work pay off for Batch. The ability for both Batch and Grimes to play on small, medium or tall forwards is for me one of the key reasons the defence is functioning so well.

So kudos to Batch for his ascension into being a solid member of our starting 22. May others see his work ethic, follow suit and also reap the same rewards.

Batch is starting to play like Leo Barry did. If he can improve his disposal just a little and take more intercept marks, he will be a super player.

Has improved immensly this year and has cemented his spot. Just an important cog now as that real defensive player, who complements Chaplin, Grimes and Rance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deserves some credit for yesterdays game! 20-odd disposals and some really impressive ones at that. Still not 100% comfortable watching him try those precision kicks but love his aggression :D:thumbsu:
He's got somewhat a petterd kicking style. It looks ugly onto the boot, ugly off the boot, but gets (mostly) where it needs to.

In comparison to Stratton, Jake averaged more kicks, more handballs, more disposals, more marks, more contested possessions, more uncontested possessions, more effective disposals, more contested marks, more rebound 50s and more bounces. It is also worth noting that Stratton played an average of 93.7% game time while Jake only played 82.9%. Stratton is also three years older and played in a premiership team. Batch deserves more credit than what he receives. Get around him.

In comparison to Stratton, Jake averaged more kicks, more handballs, more disposals, more marks, more contested possessions, more uncontested possessions, more effective disposals, more contested marks, more rebound 50s and more bounces. It is also worth noting that Stratton played an average of 93.7% game time while Jake only played 82.9%. Stratton is also three years older and played in a premiership team. Batch deserves more credit than what he receives. Get around him.

I rate Stratton pretty high so these stats surprised me :)

Our most underrated player. Does his job week in week out. Is rarely beaten and is such a versatile defender. Him and Grimes will be our back pockets for the next 7 or 8 years.
Batch might have competition for his spot, depending on if Astbury is playing and the way Grimes, Houli and Yarran are used. He is used for the 3rd tall position, but as we don't really want Chaplin as the 2nd tall defender( he has to be the 3rd tall defender), then it comes back to Grimes or Batchelor as the 4th defender/rebounder. It will be interesting how we do it.

Well argued!

Chaplin is not a tall defender, He occasionally is found losing a marking contest next to a KPF

Poor mans Joel Bowden
I've always been a fan of Chappy and appreciate his role in helping Rance (and probably others) develop into the players they are... but last year's EF... FFS that Nahas embarrassment... says to me he shits himself way too easily (especially for a 250 gamer) and I really hope he is fair and square under the microscope as we speak... I'd really like to see Astbury step up and go past him this season, think we need that or another alternative (I don't think Elton is the answer but happy to be wrong) to achieve success in finals... I wonder if the coaching staff have the balls to pull the pin and 'have the chat' or will we see another Newman situation offered to him...

Questions to the Coaches:
How much upside does Chappy have?
How much upside does Astbury/Elton have?
For long term success what is the best option moving ahead?

As I said, I respect Chappy for what he has brought but he should be playing for his career now, he's surely on the other side of his best... is it time to make a tough decision and look to develop his replacement?

I've always been a fan of Chappy and appreciate his role in helping Rance (and probably others) develop into the players they are... but last year's EF... FFS that Nahas embarrassment... says to me he shits himself way too easily (especially for a 250 gamer) and I really hope he is fair and square under the microscope as we speak... I'd really like to see Astbury step up and go past him this season, think we need that or another alternative (I don't think Elton is the answer but happy to be wrong) to achieve success in finals... I wonder if the coaching staff have the balls to pull the pin and 'have the chat' or will we see another Newman situation offered to him...

As I said, I respect Chappy for what he has brought but he should be playing for his career now, he's surely on the other side of his best... is it time to make a tough decision and look to develop his replacement?

Took the words right out of my mouth

That's fine, but it's not about Chaplins upside vs Astbury/Elton upside. They have to be better than him right now. We don't develop kids in the seniors anymore, they must be ready to contribute, especially as an important defender.
What Chappy does bring is structure, that is, he makes sure we are set up correctly to repel attacks.
Look at how Hawks chopped up the Eagles in the granny and you'll see the need for a general back there.
BUt don't get me wrong, he worries me 1v1 and I hope someone does go past him. It's just that they need to be better right now, not take 10 games to develop in the seniors.

That's fine, but it's not about Chaplins upside vs Astbury/Elton upside. They have to be better than him right now. We don't develop kids in the seniors anymore, they must be ready to contribute, especially as an important defender.
What Chappy does bring is structure, that is, he makes sure we are set up correctly to repel attacks.
Look at how Hawks chopped up the Eagles in the granny and you'll see the need for a general back there.
BUt don't get me wrong, he worries me 1v1 and I hope someone does go past him. It's just that they need to be better right now, not take 10 games to develop in the seniors.
I get that and I just wonder if it is better to bite the bullet and get Astbury playing that role... There may be an adjustment period but then there's the upside...

Let's say it takes 10 senior games to get Astbury up to the level... Forever onwards we then have our second tall ready to go for several seasons... Astbury has already shown that he can cut it so I wouldn't think he's that far behind...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #11: Jake Batchelor - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back