Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

Firrito might be cooked, although we should send him over to GWS for him to finish his career there and make some cash.
If you were in charge at GWS would you want Firrito?

He has been a fantastic clubman but only Melbourne would take him.

If you were in charge at GWS would you want Firrito?

He has been a fantastic clubman but only Melbourne would take him.

Hmm maybe not has issues with doing stupid stuff on the field....

but an experienced body in the back line... we wouldn't get anything for him know that...sending him to melbourne wouldnt be fair on him haha

Firrito might be cooked, although we should send him over to GWS for him to finish his career there and make some cash.
Firitto seems cooked.
images

potatoes-su-635660-l.jpg

wedges15.jpg

McMahon is 27, Grima turning 28 and Firrito will be 30 at years end.

Grima and McMahon still have a lot to offer, nothing wrong with competition for spots but we shouldn't be in a rush to move on our experienced campaigners. I still have both in my best 22.

Firrito I fear may be in his last season.

McMahon will needed to put in a big preseason because experience won't win him games anymore. Kennedy and Cam offer more diversity. Mullet has been massive.

I wouldn't be surprised if McMahon goes to a lower team needing experience in their backline. He has years left in him.

Feel sorry for Spud though he's been such a warrior for us.

Grima definitely needs to be managed

Good points as always mate.

I've been a Firrito supporter and i'm not writing him off yet - but accept he will find it hard to get back in.

McMahon is best 22 when firing. But he is fat and I actually have no idea why as his illness was a long time ago. If he wants a spot he needs to work for it.

Grima needed a rest and has got one - he is a good spoiler but provides little elsewhere. I think the Delaney calls ^^ are harsh as I thought he did a good job on Fri night, maybe I am the only one. Either way I am not too worried about this spot.

Kennedy is apparently poor defensively (despite his other qualities) and we don't need any more of them in the 1s. I suspect that is why Scott doesn't pick him.

McMahon is 27, Grima turning 28 and Firrito will be 30 at years end.

Grima and McMahon still have a lot to offer, nothing wrong with competition for spots but we shouldn't be in a rush to move on our experienced campaigners. I still have both in my best 22.

Firrito I fear may be in his last season.

so if we pencil in Mullett Hansen Atley
and I think McMillan plays half back and Thompson
what about Hine?
what about Wright?

where do we play Delaney 1 Delaney 2 and McKenzie?
plus it is likely that Garner will play next year let alone McDonald Jnr

realistically Spud is gone
I wld give the other 2 a year but Cam Delaney can do wot Grima does so Nathan is definitely on the way out imo
and hasn't mullet basically replaced macmahon
getting dropped after coming back was a very bad sign for loose
and while I'm at it greenwood and sirra have no hope now that Jacobs has shown he can play
daw we can still wait and see
so
delist: Spud Greenwood Sirra
personally I prefer LA to gibbo, again v Cats gibbo skill errors just stamp him as 2nd rate
think we can have both on list tho

Spud appears to have had time catch up with him.. However he still plays the odd good game and has he been the victim of an unaccountable midfield?

McMahon is a gifted player but MUST get himself into good shape. Could play a forward role too a la 2007.

I'm in the minority that consistently notice Grima's brainfades. He's a good player but can really go cold at times where (maybe for physical reasons) he opts out of running at the ball or mysteriously grub his kicks. His condition means he can't be relied on as a long term option.

Was happy with Luke Delaney on Friday and we need a long term body-on-body key defensive option. He has lost some bulk and is looking more confident.

Cam D is a keeper.

delist: Spud Greenwood Sirra
personally I prefer LA to gibbo, again v Cats gibbo skill errors just stamp him as 2nd rate
think we can have both on list tho

Delisting Greenwood now would be a harsh call - should not have been dropped to start with. No superstar but think he may still have a future.

As for LA v Gibbo - both won't be part of our next top team so its irrelevant. Both are depth only and will be phased out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant say i have much faith in Luke Delaney, he did well on Hawkins Friday night but he was underdone and it showed. Luke is also very limited with ball in hand, its good to have him as backup just in case we lose one to injury, but he could get a regular gig in another team. his brother needs another 10kg then he will be ok.

Luke wasn't on Hawkins.

Scotty manned Hawkins and Luke went to Vardy for a majority of the game. Certainly the entire first half.

Grima is comfortably best 22 in my eyes.

Spud will be nearing the end quicker than the other two, and he'll find it the hardest to re-invent himself. McMahon has more strings to his bow.

Good points as always mate.

I've been a Firrito supporter and i'm not writing him off yet - but accept he will find it hard to get back in.

McMahon is best 22 when firing. But he is fat and I actually have no idea why as his illness was a long time ago. If he wants a spot he needs to work for it.

Grima needed a rest and has got one - he is a good spoiler but provides little elsewhere. I think the Delaney calls ^^ are harsh as I thought he did a good job on Fri night, maybe I am the only one. Either way I am not too worried about this spot.

Kennedy is apparently poor defensively (despite his other qualities) and we don't need any more of them in the 1s. I suspect that is why Scott doesn't pick him.

Cheers.

Agree, it'll be hard for Spud to get back in unless we suffer a few injuries. Father time has caught up with him, plus the emergence of Hansen down back

Grima's injuries have always been a concern which is a shame because if he had those sorted out i have no doubt he'd be one of the best defenders in the comp. I like Keys, not sure he's required all the time though because when the ball hits the deck he is a touch slow. He is honest as the day is long though.

I'd prefer Hansen, Cam, Thompson and Grima at the moment. I think AK dropped off at the worst possible time. Was killing it but Cam slipped in at the right time.

Cheers.

Agree, it'll be hard for Spud to get back in unless we suffer a few injuries. Father time has caught up with him, plus the emergence of Hansen down back

Grima's injuries have always been a concern which is a shame because if he had those sorted out i have no doubt he'd be one of the best defenders in the comp. I like Keys, not sure he's required all the time though because when the ball hits the deck he is a touch slow. He is honest as the day is long though.

I'd prefer Hansen, Cam, Thompson and Grima at the moment. I think AK dropped off at the worst possible time. Was killing it but Cam slipped in at the right time.

Agree about Spud. Unlike McMahon he looks fit and still seems to have the appetite to contest - but yep, will find it hard but I still think he has been the better of the two this year despite all the calls to the contrary.

Grima has been cursed, and could have been far more if not for injuries I agree. But whilst I accept Keys is a bit slow (like others in our team) I thought he was good? No he is no superstar but i'd like him to stay in the team to be honest, allows others to release but going by the lack of love for him I think I maybe the only one here on BF that thinks that!

Your structure seems sound. Be interesting how Scott (sorry, I mean "selection panel") selects going forward - if nothing else, it is fantastic we have so many options.....

Agree about Spud. Unlike McMahon he looks fit and still seems to have the appetite to contest - but yep, will find it hard but I still think he has been the better of the two this year despite all the calls to the contrary.

Grima has been cursed, and could have been far more if not for injuries I agree. But whilst I accept Keys is a bit slow (like others in our team) I thought he was good? No he is no superstar but i'd like him to stay in the team to be honest, allows others to release but going by the lack of love for him I think I maybe the only one here on BF that thinks that!

Your structure seems sound. Be interesting how Scott (sorry, I mean "selection panel") selects going forward - if nothing else, it is fantastic we have so many options.....

I definitely rate Keys, liked him since his debut. He's just been unlucky with Thompson being so durable. I thought he played well on friday also. It must be tough for him though because in a few teams I think he's starts every week. It is great having depth but I'd be torn if say someone like Melbourne offered Watts for him or someone offered a mid 20's pick improving our chances on bringing in someone like Garlett.

Agree with Spud. His a complete professional there is no doubt about it. A few brain fades this season but other than that I think he's been solid.

Grima is a top class defender when he is close to 100% fit. Ridiculous to get rid of him. If however he wants to move back to SA then obvious trade bait. McMahon is worth keeping for his experience but should not be an automatic 22 player anymore. If Spud wants to play on then let him, he's been a warrior and deserves another year. Getting rid of heart and soul type players can negatively effect the group, just ask the D's who specialize in doing this.
Good see a few new faces in the backline doing ok the past couple of weeks.

Luke wasn't on Hawkins.

Scotty manned Hawkins and Luke went to Vardy for a majority of the game. Certainly the entire first half.

Grima is comfortably best 22 in my eyes.

Spud will be nearing the end quicker than the other two, and he'll find it the hardest to re-invent himself. McMahon has more strings to his bow.

Luke picked up Hawkins on more than one occasion.

He did. When Scotty went for a run further afield. Hawkins out-marked Luke in the last for memory.

For a majority of the game, he took Vardy and did a good job on him giving away significant height.

whatever i saw him man up on hawkins a fair few times... did ok got outmarked in a 1on1 once.... not the point, i dont have much confidence in him yet, but i hope he can make it.

Spud is gone I think, and McMahon needs to pull his finger out or he will be joining him on the way out. Grima is good enough when fit, I agree with a lot of people on here about his lack of intensity sometimes, it shows when you watch him live, it's like he is in his own world or he just is cooked physically.
The emergence of Mullet, along with the development of Mckenzie, the Delaneys, Kennedy (will we ever see him at senior level???) the arrival of McDonald spell trouble for all of these more experienced campaigners.
As great as they have been for us, this game can go past you pretty quick if you are not on your game 100% of the time. Maybe the luxury of not having a whole lot of comp for spots has hurt them a bit. But as a supporter I'm really happy that competition for spots is high as it will make each player play with hunger and will lead to improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #11: Michael Firrito - did #11 proud - 2017 assistant coach at Strathmore FC w/ HMac & Narni

Remove this Banner Ad

Back