1116 SEN 2024 line up

Remove this Banner Ad

WEEK 1
1st elimination final:
7 v 10
2nd elimination Final: 8 v 9

WEEK 2
1st Semi Final: 1st vs lowest ranked Elimination final winner (1 v 8)
2nd Semi Final: 2nd vs highest ranked Elimination final winner (2 v 7)
3rd Semi Final : 3 v 6
4th Semi Final : 4 v 5

WEEK 3
1st Preliminary Final: highest ranked team vs lowest ranked team (1 v 4)
2nd Preliminary Final: 2nd-highest ranked team vs 2nd lowest ranked team (2 v 3)

WEEK 4
Bye (ensuring 14 day break for Grand Final)

WEEK 5
Grand Final (1 v 2)
It's effectively the old Final 8 system, with a play-in round for the bottom two positions.

The second week is the problem, with the potential for lopsided matches, and probably needing to play 4 vs 5 and 3 vs 6 on the first two nights.

Glad you won the ham though.

It's effectively the old Final 8 system, with a play-in round for the bottom two positions.

The second week is the problem, with the potential for lopsided matches, and probably needing to play 4 vs 5 and 3 vs 6 on the first two nights.

Glad you won the ham though.

The old final 8 system had second chances for losing. This one doesn't. It's similar in concept to how the NFL structure their playoffs, where the top seeded teams have a week off (and the whole thing is knockout). I'll see if I can post the podcast link when it goes up

The old final 8 system had second chances for losing. This one doesn't. It's similar in concept to how the NFL structure their playoffs, where the top seeded teams have a week off (and the whole thing is knockout). I'll see if I can post the podcast link when it goes up
The first (old) Final 8 system, I meant. From the 1990s.

The first (old) Final 8 system, I meant. From the 1990s.

I know that's what you are referring to. That system from 1994-1999 also had 1v8, 2v7 etc but it allowed 5th and 6th to potentially get a second chance for losing. The system I am proposing has no double chances.

Last edited:
The system I am proposing has no double chances.
Cheers, I should have studied it more closely, and not on my phone while I was at the gym!

The selling point of your system is that it's pure knockout. That's a pretty strong argument, and many people will like that aspect.

There's a few downsides to it, but as I said on the previous page, no finals system is ever going to be perfect. If we do have a play-in match, I think I'd prefer to have it feed into the current finals structure. It usually delivers a reward for finishing 1-2 over 3-4, a clear advantage finishing 3-4 over 5-6, and a clear advantage finishing 5-6 over 7-8. There's something nice about that.

Good work - you deserved the ham. Glad that your religion is ham-friendly. Let us know how it tastes.

Todays nuffie caller:

Collingwood supporter correctly calls out a fans who tar all blues fans with the same brush as that of the alleged bottle thrower. Explains that yeah they're upset about the one sided free kick count, but if collingwood received the (some) 50m penalty against sydney they'd be in the 8. Swings and roundabouts.

Did anybody raise the issue of introducing ‘whacking day’ in Australia to quell violence against umpires?

I know that's what you are referring to. That system from 1994-1999 also had 1v8, 2v7 etc but it allowed 5th and 6th to potentially get a second chance for losing. The system I am proposing has no double chances.
Then they aren't semi finals
There are 4 so it's quarters
Then your prelims are 2 semis

Either way I'm no mathematician but it's a very poor finals system
No way this would be adopted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then they aren't semi finals
There are 4 so it's quarters
Then your prelims are 2 semis

Either way I'm no mathematician but it's a very poor finals system
No way this would be adopted
You can call it whatever you want. The two semi-finals under the current final 8 are effectively quarter finals (in that you need to win 3 matches). The current preliminary finals under the current system are really semi finals (in that you need to win 2 matches). It doesn’t matter what you call them.

The 5v8 and 6v7 matches this weekend are essentially “round of 16 matches” (in that you need to win 4 matches)

I’ve been passionate about eliminating double chances for a long, long time.

You can call it whatever you want. The two semi-finals under the current final 8 are effectively quarter finals (in that you need to win 3 matches). The current preliminary finals under the current system are really semi finals (in that you need to win 2 matches). It doesn’t matter what you call them.

The 5v8 and 6v7 matches this weekend are essentially “round of 16 matches” (in that you need to win 4 matches)

I’ve been passionate about eliminating double chances for a long, long time.
There is absolutely zero chance the double chance will go
What's the point of the previous 5 months

There is absolutely zero chance the double chance will go
What's the point of the previous 5 months
You’re not serious are you mate? You can go out NOW after one loss in the PF and GF. You don’t need a double chance to reward a team. A week off does that. In fact, a week off mathematically doubles a teams chances of winning the premiership. The NFL do it that way. It’s like you arguing that if you lose the Prelim under the current system, what’s the point of the previous 5 months?

Anyway I don’t want derail the thread, but the discussion on this is on the main board.

You’re not serious are you mate? You can go out NOW after one loss in the PF and GF. You don’t need a double chance to reward a team. A week off does that. In fact, a week off mathematically doubles a teams chances of winning the premiership. The NFL do it that way. It’s like you arguing that if you lose the Prelim under the current system, what’s the point of the previous 5 months?

Anyway I don’t want derail the thread, but the discussion on this is on the main board.
Listen to the know your history podcast as it goes through the different methods of finals series over the years
Either way a double chance has always been awarded

Preliminary finals makes no sense.

Semis then the final do
OMG. You've just triggered me.

One of the most infuriating things in sport (yeah I need to work on my anger) is NRL commentators calling the matches in the first week of finals the "semi finals". Urgh.

All sports have myriad things about them that are completely arbitrary and don't make any sense, including how sports name their finals, but the NRL can FRO (hey Roco).

C'mon guys take this convo to midday madness where if you call you get on!!
Right after this 6 minute ad break.
I think it's interesting. Someone from this thread called, and got on. Put forward an idea and won a ham. Brought it to this thread (not the ham, the idea) and we're talking about something on SEN.

Anyway, so I listened to the Howie Games podcast on Kane Cornes. It was recorded about six weeks ago, so there's nothing about the Channel 7 move. I found it pretty interesting. Kane opened up about some of his anxieties and weaknesses. Hutchy really 'made' this bloke. Denies that he's after clicks but admits to putting Mayo on some statements. Has no real regrets. His son has been through a lot.

For a while, a long time ago, I was living with a few people I didn't particularly like hanging out with, so I spent a lot of nights in the garage, either doing weights or working on my pushbikes. I didn't have my own tv, and only the only thing I found worth listening to was Delroy. He had many interesting guests, and is obviously a smart dude, but man, he was a real Hitler with the quiz rules. :grinv1: It's not like they were gunna win much more than some homemade jam or a Macka's voucher.
It's a real shame what the Andrew Tate loving guys under 25 did to Finey's old quiz.

One thing that I think would bring some joy to SEN listeners is a dedicated quiz hour. Similar format to ol' Tony, including the Clue Free Zone. And yes, be a real Hitler about it with regard to the rules.

You could do it at midday, 3pm, 10pm - whatever. And give a $100 Macca's voucher to the winner. Every. Single. Day. Build a bit of fanfare around it. Build a cult following.

I tell you who would be a great host? Darren Parkin. He's pleasurable to listen to, has a good rapport with callers and an absolute sports nuffie.

Gotta be the worst take of all time

If you don't want a Prelim final in a 23,500 seat stadium then probably don't give that team a million first round picks to ensure that they're good for over a decade?

I'll put this call next to last years 'Harley's better off at North Melbourne because North play in front of 1/4th the people that West Coast do so he'll have less pressure on him' as one of his more stupider opinions.

Remove this Banner Ad

1116 SEN 2024 line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back